Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thus was literally true in early drafts. "Gentling" involved castration, explicitly.

I'm glad Robert Jordan decided to stop short of genital mutilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I think they have done a good job of showing the emotional impact of losing a bonded partner. That being said, I figure the more esoteric parts of the bond are difficult to show on screen without literally having a character explain it out loud.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm glad Robert Jordan decided to stop short of genital mutilation.

It certainly would have made healing more difficult.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or at least more of a challenge to film

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

Well, they have both shown and told at this point. So it seems pretty clear.
I’m not so sure it’s clear for non-readers. Which is why I was looking for a non-reader to explain the bond as they understand it.

It’s not appropriate to discuss in this thread WHY I think this. I’ll continue in the book thread

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve read the books (admittedly, back when the last one came out) and I have no idea what you’re angling at. If I can’t figure it out based on my knowledge from the books plus seeing it on screen, I’m not sure how TV watchers are supposed to understand whatever it is.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

th3t00t posted:

I’m not so sure it’s clear for non-readers. Which is why I was looking for a non-reader to explain the bond as they understand it.

It’s not appropriate to discuss in this thread WHY I think this. I’ll continue in the book thread

My understanding is that it's a magical connection linking the AS to her warder on a very deep level. Emotions are clearly shared, they're aware of each other's physical sensations to some level, and I think it's likely that certain personality traits become shared as well. There must be some sort of ritual involved, but I'm not sure yet how much say the warder gets in who their partner AS becomes. Is there a test to determine compatibility, or does it all come about more naturally by virtue of novices all growing and training in the tower together? It seems like a very permanent commitment. In thinking about it, I wonder how much the warder changes after the ritual...the AS is clearly the more dominant in the partnership.

I read the first couple of books well over a decade now and remember next to nothing so this is all from watching the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But does it make them all homos? :thunkher:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i get the impression that sexuality isn't so rigidly defined or cared about in this universe

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

From the non-book reader reactions I've seen on YouTube, everyone seems to have grasped the Warder/Aes Sedai bond pretty easily. Which seems to have made the funeral scene(s) pretty impactful for non-book readers, even though that scene seems to be gotten a lot of poo poo in this thread.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As a non-book reader my grasp of it is that those who want to be Warders go to the WT and say that's what they want and then they start martial training to find out if they have the spirit and body for the commitment. While that is happening (or before as Stepin explained in how he became one) any AS that are novices are around and start getting chummy. We know that not all Ajah have/need Warders so in a way it seems that if you came to WT to become a Warder you knew what you were getting into.

Of course when it comes to bonding we haven't been told or explicitly shown the rituals to create the bond but I'm sure there's channeling involved. Without magic the idea of two (or more) people being so close at all times being able to feel pain and other emotions makes sense because that's just something that happens when you are always together, but to literally feel the pain when a Trolloc stabs you in the shoulder probably requires a magical bond.

When one part of the bond is gone, the other half is now going through a LOT of various forms of trauma so I feel that any Warders or AS that tough it out and create a new bond are in a tiny minority and that is another reason why both jobs are not for anyone (ignoring the fact you need to be able to channel in the first place)

That's what I've gathered over 5 episodes, and it also explains why Valda suspected Egwene

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

So what you're saying is that there's no Wankatorium

gently caress this I'm out

Bezos you're sitting on a goldmin here

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Someone pointed this out in the other thread, but the Wheel of Time Origins animations are now available as normal stand-alone extras. Really good explainers about some stuff or just neat stories about other stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DTurtle posted:

Someone pointed this out in the other thread, but the Wheel of Time Origins animations are now available as normal stand-alone extras. Really good explainers about some stuff or just neat stories about other stuff.

Yeah the animations are top notch and really explain a lot of things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The new episode was up for me straight away today; rather than on a 10 to 15 minute delay. Which is nice. The bonus animation is already up too. "An Ogier's Longing".

Amazon Prime posted:

The story of an Ogier treesings his stedding into the world and takes us on a journey through time to understand the lives they lead.

I take it treesings is "tree sings", but I'll watch it after the main episode.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 10, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We've been getting lots of reports about book spoilers; on the one hand this is a 100 year old series with 192,000 pages of stuff to talk about, on the other hand don't be a dick.

SO! If you think something could be even slightly book-spoilery please put it in spoiler blocks! It makes the thread look like a CIA FOIA release, so what.

Conversely! Try to find calm with knowing that talking about this show on the internet might mean you won't maintain a perfect clean room brain! Spoilers aren't the end of the world, even if it's polite of people to respect them.

Namaste nerdfriends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New episode up! And may mark the first time I've ever done the "Now kiss!" and the show did it! When Moiraine and the Amerlyn kiss in her quarters Also this is gonna be a goldmine for kink-minded types on social media.

Edit: I posted that while watching and as I was typing it got worse/better! :haw:

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 10, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Loved that episode

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Episode rocks, show rocks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah it feels like this is starting to hum on all cylinders now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fantastic ep. Pike and Okenwedo absolutely crushed it and Barney was great too. Can't wait to see how they close the season out

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Fantastic ep. Pike and Okenwedo absolutely crushed it and Barney was great too. Can't wait to see how they close the season out

One thing I think the show as a whole is doing well is these little naturalistic moments. Like Nynaeve jumping in with "I tracked him!" a little too eagerly at the camp, just like you would if you were a bit drunk and nervous. Or "That's not how roads work!". Or the little bits between Siuane and Moiraine of the former defusing the latter with a pet-name and getting a laugh despite Moiraine's desire to keep being mad. It takes this high fantasy world and makes the people feel real. And like, that's all you really need. Make me believe these are real people who believe this stuff is real and happening and it doesn't matter if the effects are a little ropey sometimes.

I also really like how they very quickly put Liandrin aside as a concern in the immediate story in favour of the story of these two women who love each other but can't be together because of forces bigger than them.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think this is the first episode where I was more annoyed by the changes to the books than indifferent.

Still a cool episode though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrZ6c1Mjy8

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anyone catch Fain anywhere? I looked, but didn't see anyone.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

IcePhoenix posted:

I think this is the first episode where I was more annoyed by the changes to the books than indifferent.

Still a cool episode though.

come to the book thread to discuss those changes

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Episode was great.

Mat: Still a piece of poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just loving the cinematography / these sets and all the colors. Although Suian's dress and shawl aren't quite working for me.

Also lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBa2qzBW80&t=67s

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Mat is the only sane one lol

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Mover posted:

:hai:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mover posted:

I mean, sure, maybe he noticed Moiraine not answering the question about what happens to the other 4. But dude's in the middle of loving nowhere with no horse and his 4 best friends all went with the magic lady that sucked a demon out of him like 2 days ago.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, sure, maybe he noticed Moiraine not answering the question about what happens to the other 4. But dude's in the middle of loving nowhere with no horse and his 4 best friends all went with the magic lady that sucked a demon out of him like 2 days ago.

He is a skilled horse trader, though. Maybe he's hoping to collect the horses and get rich on the proceeds?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
This show is a disgrace to the books. It’s moving WAY too loving fast. The changes made for the show are dumb as gently caress, too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

lol. Yea why can't we get 8 full episodes of these sheep herders running from Trollocs still 🙄

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Episode 6 is the best one yet. God I love this one so much. I'm super psyched if the show's writing can stay at this level.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

One thing I think the show as a whole is doing well is these little naturalistic moments. Like Nynaeve jumping in with "I tracked him!" a little too eagerly at the camp, just like you would if you were a bit drunk and nervous. Or "That's not how roads work!". Or the little bits between Siuane and Moiraine of the former defusing the latter with a pet-name and getting a laugh despite Moiraine's desire to keep being mad. It takes this high fantasy world and makes the people feel real. And like, that's all you really need. Make me believe these are real people who believe this stuff is real and happening and it doesn't matter if the effects are a little ropey sometimes.

I also really like how they very quickly put Liandrin aside as a concern in the immediate story in favour of the story of these two women who love each other but can't be together because of forces bigger than them.

I think Liandrin herself is the greatest beneficiary of that blessing for the moment, and while she's very obviously a snake as Nynaeve called her, she also constantly shows some humanity in smalls ways; whether that's desiring revenge for a dead colleague, or, as this episode highlighted having a secret male lover despite her colleague's views on men. She's vile, but humanely vile, rather than just a stock villain.

Anyway, this week's trivia:

Amazon Prime X-Ray posted:

• The nation of Tear contains the greatest seaport in the Westlands with a great tradition for fishing. Interestingly, even though it has the greatest port, the location sits at the mouth of a river. This river contains a vast delta of complex waterways known as "The Fingers of the Dragon".
  • Channeling is illegal in Tear. Aes Sedai are tolerated and even respected, but they are expected to not use the One Power while in the country. When a girl discovers she can channel, she is forced to leave that same day and encouraged to never return.
  • The Amyrlin Seat is the head of all Aes Sedai, and the Keeper of the Chronicles is second only to her. The Keeper acts as a historian, recording important details and laws in the Tower. She only has the power given to her by the Amyrlin.
  • Trials for male channelers are traditionally held before they are gentled. This is as much of a tradition as it is a law in the Tower.
  • The Brown Ajah are known for being the Librarians of the Aes Sedai, always researching and on the quest for knowledge. The Grey Ajah are the mediators and most aware of the laws of each nation. Traditionally, members of the Grey are sent to rulers as political advisors. The White Ajah is for women who don't wish to meddle in the troubles of the world, and would rather devote themselves to philosophy and truth.
  • Mentioning an Amyrlin's previous Ajah in public is considered discourteous and insulting. An Amyrlin is to be of all Ajah's and of none; to bring up her original chosen Ajah is to challenge her impartiality.
  • The dagger from Shadar Logoth is tainted by the same evil that destroyed the city and its people. This kind of evil has an infectious nature and if allowed to exist outside the city could destroy the goodness in humanity. Mat's possible ta'veren nature kept him protected from allowing the evil to fully take hold.
  • The Red and Green Ajah's have major fundamental differences, so a Green sister speaking up in the Hall of the Tower on behalf of and in defense of a Red is unheard of. This demonstrates potentially weakening bonds amongst alliances that are a thousand years old.
  • The Yellow Ajah is for women drawn to healing. They spend their lives truly in service to their sisters and their community. Passion to fix what is broken is what makes a woman want to become Yellow Ajah.
  • 'Bond Masking' in the books is a study of concentration and has nothing to do with the One Power. In the show, if an Aes Sedai masks her bond with her Warder, that means their awareness of one another is truly and completely cut off.
  • There are objects of the One Power created for specific purposes. Some of these objects do very mundane things like play music or create fabric, while others act as doorways to different places, spaces or experiences.
  • Siuan's tattoos represent her culture and tell the stories of her life. They may also represent a map for those skilled enough to navigate the Fingers of the Dragon.
  • Gitara Moroso was an Aes Sedai who had a foretelling at the moment of the Dragon's Rebirth. It was so powerful and shocking that the sister died, leaving Moiraine and Siuan to decide what to do.
  • Greetings are important for Ogier. "Glory to the Builders" is a common one used in Shienar, the country Lan was raised in.
  • The Wheel and the Pattern use all life and events when weaving together the fabric of an Age. Sometimes there are hundreds, if not thousands of years within the Pattern, spinning in order to push certain events into place that must happen in order for the Wheel to keep turning.
  • There are many different punishments that the Amyrlin Seat can dole out to Aes Sedai. The worst a sister can expect is a public birching, but exile or exile with forced hard labor have been known punishments to be set down for very egregious acts. These acts tend to involve the misuse of the One Power.
  • The Oath Rod is traditionally only used for the Three Oaths that all Aes Sedai take upon passing their test for sisterhood. Swearing these oaths is known to be physically uncomfortable due to an actual feeling of pressure and tightening over the entire body as the oaths take hold.

Nothing terribly spoilery; mostly just minor details like where characters are from, what specific terms that were used definitively mean if the context didn't make it clear and so on. That aside, the first note there kind of makes me wonder because it says that it's interesting that the port of Tear is at the mouth of a river, and umm...yeah? Where else is a port going to be, really? Most ports are at river mouths, no?

Also, two new bios for this episode.

Bio 1:

Leane Sharif

Actress: Jennifer Cheon Garcia

Nationality: Domani
Talent: Channeling

An Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah, Leane Sedia is the Keeper of the Chronicles. She is in charge of maintaining the records of the White Tower and is the Amyrlin's right hand woman. Leane is rarely seen out of earshot of Siuan Sanche.

Bio 2:

Siuan Sanche

Actress: Sophie Okonedo

Nationality: Tairen
Talent: Channeling, Foretelling

Born to a poor fisherman in Tear, Siuan practically grew up on a fishing boat. Not much is known about her childhood, only that she arrived at the White Tower when she was just a child, with no family or guardians, asking to be taught by the Aes Sedai. Siuan showed great promise, becoming an Aes Sedai at the age of twenty. After ten years of being the eyes and ears of the Blue Sitters, Siuan made many friends and demonstrated immense channeling abilities. She also showed a talent for seeing visions in her dreams, making her the most powerful Aes Sedai in a generation. When Marith Jaen died, Siuan was elected the youngest Amyrlin Seat in Aes Sedai history, at the age of 30.

The Bonus animation for this episode, "An Ogier's Longing" is a random Ogier reminiscing about the Steddings, and how Ogier are almost bound to them, so that it is unusual for an Ogier to leave them as he has along with the Ogier's talent for both masonry and crafting in general. There's no behind the scenes videos for this episode so far as I can see, though they may just be slow at putting them up, I guess. That said, there are several concept drawings and behind the scenes stills of things like Siuan's childhood home, her personal home that she and Moiraine spend the night in etc. Really pretty stuff that's worth a look.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 10, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sab669 posted:

lol. Yea why can't we get 8 full episodes of these sheep herders running from Trollocs still 🙄

out of the 8 seasons written they should have 2 of them covering just the first book, the one that is the most unlike literally every single one of the 14 other, longer, books written for the series

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I was legit surprised Moraine and the seat were lovers. What did Moraine drop in the bath house? It looked like and earing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only thing that's a little strange, and it's easily hand-waved, was Siuane's younger self seemed to have a Scottish accent and Sophie Okenado went with almost an RP voice for official business and her normal one for private stuff. I mean, it's easy enough to say her accent changed/faded over years wandering as a Blue and living in the tower as the seat, but would've been nice to stay consistent.