Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gonz posted:

The ending of the first movie is one of the greatest endings i’ve ever witnessed.

It produced levels of hype previously unknown to moviegoers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

1999 was wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11eBZd7zdbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

edogawa rando posted:

I meant in 1999, implying that it was the artistic peak of our times.

I guess I could have been a little clearer.

It was a simpler time in 1999. We were all still innocent, before the fall of the Twin Towers and Jeffrey Jones.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emva8aiySQg

Pitter patter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOlUZrHRT8

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Shiiiit, 1999 gave us The Matrix, Office Space, Fight Club, The Mummy, The Green Mile, The Sixth Sense, American Pie, The Blair Witch Project, Ravenous, Galaxy Quest, and probably a load more I’m forgetting. One of the best years ever.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Incredible

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Looks like a lot of fun.

In case it's not clear and people may just skip over it, this is not a sports documentary, this is a historical series about very large personalities with a hell of a cast.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bo Burnham is Larry Bird lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

McKay nuking his friendship with Farrell over this looks to have paid off.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sorry what's the story there??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

Bo Burnham is Larry Bird lol

He had to leave the project due to scheduling I'd heard.

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's the rise of the Showtime Lakers who were the best team of the 80s and had one of the greatest sports rivalries with the Boston Celtics.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Colonel Whitey posted:

McKay had cast Farrell as Jerry Buss (at Farrell's insistence and out of deference to their friendship) but then went around his back to cast Reilly (who he felt was a better resemblance and would give a better performance) in the role. Reilly came clean about it to Farrell, who (rightfully) called McKay on it and ended the friendship.

https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/1465385191908773888

Pretty sad honestly.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 9, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That was a pretty stupid decision.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, lol at "in my apology I also pointed out a bunch of things he did wrong"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
McKay comes off pretty badly there, he could have just been up front with Ferrell and any hurt feelings would be out of his control. Recastings happen and Ferrell should understand that, but sounds like the way it was done was lovely.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The recasting reasons are kinda stupid and recastings don't really happen at the level Ferrell is at especially if it's his buddy running the show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Going behind someone's back on a decision that will obviously be very public very soon is definitely not gonna bite me in the rear end!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Retrowave Joe posted:

Shiiiit, 1999 gave us The Matrix, Office Space, Fight Club, The Mummy, The Green Mile, The Sixth Sense, American Pie, The Blair Witch Project, Ravenous, Galaxy Quest, and probably a load more I’m forgetting. One of the best years ever.

Notting Hill was one of my favorites from that era, lol. Hugh Grant is stupid charming in it. The 13th Warrior is one of my favorite often forgotten gems from '99. It was a particularly good year for "teen/coming-of-age" movies too, more so for someone like me who was just entering the teenage years at 13ish: She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, Varsity Blues, The Virgin Suicides, Cruel Intentions, American Beauty, American Pie.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the 90s has absolutely fantastic movies. probably the last gasp of creative expression in film. the good films after that are exceptions, not the rule.

not sure what happened to the studios after 9/11 but it makes sense movies have sucked since then, as everything does

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

username/forum/thread/post combo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you sure it's not just that you have more favorite films in the 90s and before because that's when your taste came online and solidified, and that in fact every decade has both great and terrible movies in about the same proportion? Because every decade has both great and terrible movies in about the same proportion.

What you want out of a movie may have began somewhat sunsetting in the 90s. If you're really into blockbuster action movies then sure, those no longer match up with my tastes either on the whole. But your statement is utter nonsense otherwise.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The recasting reasons are kinda stupid and recastings don't really happen at the level Ferrell is at especially if it's his buddy running the show.

And gave it to another of Ferrell’s buddies! Like, that seems practically calculated to piss somebody off

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

ALFbrot posted:

username/forum/thread/post combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDL4DjqI690

Letterkenny is hilarious. Strong recommend if you've never seen it.

EDIT: If it wasn't obvious from this clip, the trailer I posted before is a meta joke for fans of the show. The tone of that trailer is the polar opposite of the tone of the actual show. That makes it a bad trailer from a marketing perspective because it is completely off putting if you don't already know it's a joke.

confused fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 9, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

McKay had cast Farrell as Jerry Buss (at Farrell's insistence and out of deference to their friendship) but then went around his back to cast Reilly (who he felt was a better resemblance and would give a better performance) in the role. Reilly came clean about it to Farrell, who (rightfully) called McKay on it and ended the friendship.

https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/1465385191908773888

Pretty sad honestly.

rumors say nobody really wants to put up with Farrell these days

Ammanas posted:

the 90s has absolutely fantastic movies. probably the last gasp of creative expression in film. the good films after that are exceptions, not the rule.

not sure what happened to the studios after 9/11 but it makes sense movies have sucked since then, as everything does

9/11 and iraq war negatively impacted all forms of culture for a decade straight

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Retrowave Joe posted:

teagone posted:

Notting Hill was one of my favorites from that era, lol. Hugh Grant is stupid charming in it. The 13th Warrior is one of my favorite often forgotten gems from '99. It was a particularly good year for "teen/coming-of-age" movies too, more so for someone like me who was just entering the teenage years at 13ish: She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, Varsity Blues, The Virgin Suicides, Cruel Intentions, American Beauty, American Pie.

Eyes Wide Shut :colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

And gave it to another of Ferrell’s buddies! Like, that seems practically calculated to piss somebody off

The best twist in that article is when he is like “Ferrel just didn’t look anything like the guy, so we gave the part to this other middle aged curly haired white guy l’m friends with”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think it looks pretty good and chili dog confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5kzUpWAusI

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I know approximately gently caress-all about the NBA in the 80s, but everything about this looks hella entertaining.

Cackled like an idiot at the quick cut of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar filming Airplane! near the end of the trailer.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

I heard Adam McKay talk about this on Chapo Trap House a couple of months ago, and the way he talked about it as a study of the rise of the Modern NBA Team as synechdoche for Eighties America made me think it was a straight documentary. I guess I should have known better, knowing McKay

E: I looked it up and it was in July of last year

E: Actually it was this from April this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxvLihSSJU

Which was about his eighties NBA podcast concerning

An unrelated documentary podcast which spawned this movie

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 10, 2021

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I think it looks pretty good and chili dog confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5kzUpWAusI

looks sick tbf

Also John C. Reilly looks like a way better choice than Ferrell in the trailer at least, but it should have been handled differently obviously.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Reilly is an infinitely better actor and as much as I enjoy Ferrels movies the right choice was made here. Just didn’t need to be such an rear end in a top hat about it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Reilly is an infinitely better actor and as much as I enjoy Ferrels movies the right choice was made here. Just didn’t need to be such an rear end in a top hat about it.

I don't think it was him being an rear end in a top hat for the sake of it. It just got bundled up with them splitting their production company and splitting up professionally that just snowballed into him making the decision and casting from the production side of things at the expense of the little friendship that was still there.

Ferrell would have been terrible for this, yeah.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dRBjqAGgI

Hahahahahahahahaha. More than half of this is, "Please remember how much you love all that cool Harry Potter poo poo. Don't think about the bad Harry Potter poo poo. Just think about all that cool Harry Potter poo poo that, again, you love. Please. Pretty please." And then a little bit of footage from the new movie at the end.

I know this is just to say a full trailer is coming on Monday. But this is clearly a, "Please don't mention J.K. Rowling" effort.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

all that cool Harry Potter poo poo

Perfect phrasing because as soon as first trailer dropped for the first Fantastic Beasts I realized I didn't give a crap about all "the cool poo poo." I watch these trailers and I just think yep, those sure are wands and griffons and brooms! Being older when I got into the Harry Potter movies it's like I did a speedrun version of the realization about Star Wars that I had in my 20s that I really loved the original trilogy but I didn't actually have to care about every other thing that had a bunch of lightsabers and TIE Fighters in it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't the second movie notoriously bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it sucked so hard, and their way to please people was to release a longer cut of it? Thing already needed 30 minutes cut out. The first was plenty fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Incredibly bad. Rowling clearly has no idea how to write a script, though somehow that wasn't quite as obvious for the first movie. The second movie had subplots on top of subplots, and all of them were terrible. At one point, when they went back to Newt after, like, 45 minutes of not seeing him, I was surprised, because I forgot these movies were supposed to be about him. It's a movie that thinks we care about the origin story of Voldemort's snake. And that gives the villain the motivation of "stopping WWII". Like, that's what we want him to not do.

It's a terrible movie.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember telling my wife "it's crazy that there's been a new harry potter out for months and we haven't watched it yet."
She corrected me, we had watched it, but it made so little of an impression that I forgot about it entirely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have any sense of what the buzz on this is, or what box office expectations are? I feel like SA is the only place I've heard anyone talk about it or seen that it's even coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone have any sense of what the buzz on this is, or what box office expectations are? I feel like SA is the only place I've heard anyone talk about it or seen that it's even coming out.

This is the first I've seen of any marketing for it.

I imagine their entire marketing strategy up to this teaser has basically been to tell Rowling to shut the gently caress up and get off of twitter.