Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OP is an rear end in a top hat. Matt may also be an rear end in a top hat, but I can't tell over all the assholishness of OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

He got disability from the military but he's got some scarring from whatever imperial war chewed him up, so she didn't sleep with him for seven years after his discharge when he was raising her daughter.

The OPs comments make it a bit worse. Basically the daughter has mental health issues and no one trusts the mother because she's a Kardashian style train wreck without the money. And they ran the ambush idea past a therapist who told her it could potentially have a very negative outcome.

It's either someone who's just wrecked the lives of everyone around them or a creative writing piece from someone ticking things off a list. Cheating on someone deployed, paternity fraud, being delusional and entitled, a home invasion, racism, etc.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

lol "I love you but looking at you is painful therefore I left you 100% unsupported and struggling after 12 years of being in your life"

there's like a 50% chance this starts one of those derails about making paternity tests mandatory at birth
Sounds like the daughter and Matt would have been better off in this hypothetical land! Though it is strange to me if he had suspicions he would have waited so long, why 12 years?

Thundercloud posted:

He got disability from the military but he's got some scarring from whatever imperial war chewed him up, so she didn't sleep with him for seven years after his discharge when he was raising her daughter.

The OPs comments make it a bit worse. Basically the daughter has mental health issues and no one trusts the mother because she's a Kardashian style train wreck without the money. And they ran the ambush idea past a therapist who told her it could potentially have a very negative outcome.

It's either someone who's just wrecked the lives of everyone around them or a creative writing piece from someone ticking things off a list. Cheating on someone deployed, paternity fraud, being delusional and entitled, a home invasion, racism, etc.
I'm hoping it's the latter cause otherwise it's just a depressing story. Like the OP basically set that encounter up to go as badly as possible, presumably a big reason why Matt severed with the daughter was because otherwise he would have always had his life tangled up with the mother too. Had the daughter emailed him/messaged him on facebook/whatever as an adult on her own terms they might have been able to rekindle a relationship, but OP clearly wanted to be in the picture too so she hosed her daughter over one last time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A Moose posted:

so, with that psycho sister and ex story, who wants to bet OP didn't marry white enough or rich enough?
I don't want to pick on you, since you're not the only one making comments like this, but it's getting really tiring when people make comments like this assuming that a conflict is racial when the text gives plenty of reasons for the conflict. There are stories where that is an unspoken narrative, but doing it on every story turns it into a meme.

In the story you're talking about the sister was the same piece of poo poo before OP even met her husband. Maybe husband is not white, maybe he's poor, but it's clear that sister's issue is whatever weird mental fantasy of two sisters marrying brothers and has nothing to do with who the husband is.

quote:

She was sure my ex was the best fit for me and became unbearable when she started dating my ex’s brother. My ex was invited everywhere by my siblings, even to some family holidays, but I didn’t say anything since he was their friend too. That is until my sister started to push for us to get back together.

My sister did everything from trying to get us on blind dates to making us share a room during holidays. No matter the occasion, my ex was invited to it. After a while I had enough and asked my parents to intervene, they were clear with my siblings and stopped inviting my ex to things or allowing him to tag along so much. It was slightly better but while my brother backed off my sister didn’t. It all came to a crash when I met my husband during a semester abroad.
All of that happened before the husband was in the picture and it's all ridiculous manipulative bullshit. No qualities of the husband, race, income, appearance, personality, etc have anything to do with how the sister is acting.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not letting my niece borrow my engagement ring?

quote:

I (28f) recently got engaged to the man of my dreams, and he picked the perfect engagement ring. I can't get over how well he did without asking me any questions about it. It even fits perfectly despite neither of us actually knowing my ring size.

I was watching my little niece (6f) this weekend when she saw my ring. She thought it was really pretty and wanted to try it on. I explained to her that this ring was very special to me and that I didn't want anyone else wearing it, however I have other jewelry that we could go through together and she could wear if she wanted.

She didn't, she just wanted to wear this ring, so she started pouting. I tried to get her to focus on other things and activities, but she was still in a mood about it by the time my sister (26f) came to pick her up a couple of hours later. My sister was annoyed and asked why I couldn't just let her wear it for a little bit. I tried to explain but she said I "just don't understand kids."

Later in the week, my sister stopped by with my niece to let my dogs out while I was at work. In my line of work, wearing a ring isn't very practical, so I leave it in the ring box by my bed and put it back on when I get home. When I got home, I couldn't find it. I panicked. I looked everywhere I could think of. I called my sister to see if she had seen it while she was there and she admitted she took it and let my niece wear it for the day.

I was fuming. They had gone to the zoo. It could have been lost anywhere. My sister even admitted that they had forgotten it on a table for a few minutes but I shouldn't be mad because they got it back. I yelled at my sister that she shouldn't have taken the ring when I specifically told her I didn't want my niece or anyone else wearing it because I was worried about this exact kind of thing happening.

I told her that I would find someone else to let my dogs out when I was working and that she wasn't allowed in my house when I'm not home anymore. She said I'm being unfair to my niece, who loves my dogs and "just wanted to feel like a princess for a little while." I'm not mad at my niece and I don't want to punish her for what my sister did. AITA?

Give me your engagement ring! No? Ok I'll take it anyway!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

She said I'm being unfair to my niece, who loves my dogs and "just wanted to feel like a princess for a little while."
Then buy her a Ring Pop, stupid!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
some of these...like, she knows she's not the rear end in a top hat for having her stuff stolen. she just wants...what exactly? do you get stuff for having "the best" story?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Sounds like the daughter and Matt would have been better off in this hypothetical land! Though it is strange to me if he had suspicions he would have waited so long, why 12 years?

Since he got out on disability discharge and is 'disfigured' according to OP, it's possible he had a bunch of mental health issues, possibly related to the OP since he had help in leaving from his ex-NCO and there was then family interventions, then he got a new identity.

If there was a chance for the non-dad to be in the girls life OP here has destroyed it by going straight to a confrontation at his home in front of his family for OP to scream at him for leaving.

It's either a well written troll or just very bleak, but I know someone very similar to the OP and everyone just works around her to make sure her daughter is fine.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

some of these...like, she knows she's not the rear end in a top hat for having her stuff stolen. she just wants...what exactly? do you get stuff for having "the best" story?

I imagine to back her up given potentially a lifetime of her sister being whiny and spoilt. She doesn't have a niece problem, she has a sister problem.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

Some people are really adamant about the situation that it can make you second guess yourself.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Rescue Toaster posted:

A travel agent sent an email titled "Our Trip!" ?

I’m guessing it was “Re: Our Trip”

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for dropping out of the MOH role last minute because of an emergency

quote:

My best friend Chloe was getting married last Saturday and I was the maid of honor. For one year straight I was the main planner for her and did the best that I could to fit the standards she had set for the wedding. I even planned an amazing bachelorette party one month before the wedding and I couldn't do this without the gorgeous bridesmaids as well.

Two days before the wedding my husband had a heart attack and was hospitalised. Doctors said his situation was severe and he was transfered in an ICU. Later doctors told me he needs an emergency open heart surgery the next 24hours. His situation was very life threatening and we could lose him anytime.

My best friend called me to wish me well and I thanked her. She also asked if the surgery will happen before the wedding and I said that it will happen the day before but it will last for many hours. She said "that's alright, just making sure it doesn't intervene with the wedding thats all. It's sad we cant have Ben there (my husband) but we'll have you and you can eat and drink for both of you haha". That's when I told her I won't be able to come to the wedding whether my husband's surgery is over or not because I need to care for him and I want to be next to him until we are all 100% sure he's gonna be fine.

She said she understands but she reminded me that as a MOH I have a duty and it's one day before the wedding I can't drop out. I said that I am sorry about this but I almost lost my husband and I don't want to leave his side yet. She didn't curse me out or anything but she was very upset and she started crying. She said she understands and wished well again.

My husband's surgery went well and we were now awaiting for his recovery. It was the day of the wedding and I called my best friend to wish her well. She didn't pick up. Later I video called one of the bridesmaids and she answered, I asked to talk to chloe but she said she's busy getting ready. I said fine I'll call later. I called again and again but no response. I thought she was simply busy with the preparations. I called the day after the wedding and still no response. She wouldn't reply to my texts at all.

I contacted some of the bridesmaids and they told me that she's very upset with me for dropping out the day before the wedding and that I should make it work no matter what. Some of them said I did what's reasonable and how my husband's health should be my priority but some others feel like I let down the bride on her big day and I shouldn't expect a word from her anytime soon. AITA?

Edit : I wanna clarify that this is the first time my friend has ever acted like this. We've faced many difficulties during wedding planning but she was always a sweetheart about it and made sure to never give a hard time to anyone. She was actually the most chill bride I've met in my life. There was no way I thought she'd react like this over such an important emergency because I didn't even have previous signs than she'd act like that.

Edit 2 : I want to add another disclaimer. On the day of the wedding I stopped calling because I figured she'd not reply because she's busy. But later I was also told she was only not replying to me specifically because she was upset. She had taken few calls from relatives who couldn't attend because of distance. She specifically didn't respond to me. One of the bridesmaids also pointed out how it's weird that she never called me to ask how my husband's surgery went and as a best friend, she could take a couple of minutes out of her day to simply see if everything's ok as well. Never thought about this until my friend, the bridesmaid mentioned it. So now it hurts way more.

ur husband's in the ICU?? but it's MY DAY

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

value-brand cereal posted:

I was curious what the comments were and what else the OP had to say. I found that the post was deleted for some reason? Would anyone mind explaining what the hell this means for someone who doesn't use reddit?

"This post has reached one of our comment/karma limits. The text of the post has been preserved below."

Why is there even a limit on comments? What the hell is karma? Wtf.

On Reddit, people can upvote or downvote posts and comments. When someone does this, a point is added or removed from the account that made the post or comment.
This score is displayed publicly on a user's profile, so redditors regard having a high karma as a symbol of being a worthy poster.

Typically this means the post is very popular or being flamed to heck. However, it's common to upvote posts if you like it, so the limit exists to keep users from boosting their accounts too much by making posts on r/relationships.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

InsertPotPun posted:

turns out people who post on the internet like attention, and it's cathartic to have a bunch of randos call your enemies pieces of poo poo

did you really think everyone was bringing their conflicts to Redditors for their famous wisdom and sense of fairness

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

InsertPotPun posted:

A sanity check to remember that they are not the one in the wrong

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bad idea. You might wind up with some weird unrelated phobia. The chance of learning a new spell isn't worth it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my neighbour to move her craft room to a different bedroom

quote:

My husband and I live in an upstairs 3 bedroom flat and the flat below us is the same lay out. The house has been for sale for awhile and recently a woman bought it. It turns out she doesn't have any children so I found it strange she bought a 3 bedroom house but I soon found out it's because she runs a craft business from home and needs 2 bedrooms to run it. The problem is unfortunately she has decided to use to main bedroom, which is below us as her main craft room.

At first it was fine as she hadn't fully moved in but now it's driving me crazy. She's in that room almost all day and I can hear her walking about and the faint noise of machines. I don't spend long in my bedroom during the day but when I do go in it just annoys me knowing she's there constantly. Like why can't she have picked the smaller bedrooms since she knows the kids are at school all day? She always stops using her embroidery and sewing machines by 7pm but she's told me she can sit up until 10pm some nights finishing off orders which plays on my mind. I go to bed at 9pm and I can't sleep for hours as I lie there listening for her every move. Just knowing she's awake and walking about drives me crazy as I find it so selfish someone would buy a flat and work from home.

My husband says he can barely hear a thing during the day and I need to calm down. He also doesn't see the big deal about her using her house as she pleases. Yesterday I finally had enough and went to her door. I told her how I was feeling about everything and how I can hear the faint noise of her machines. She apologized and invited me inside to show me her set up. All her machines are on some sort of anti vibration padding to stop as much noise as possible so she claims the noise should be minimal and that you need to expect some noise from neighbours. I told her I don't make any noise and that's when things took a turn as she said she can hear my kids running around and jumping off furniture all evening but she would never dream of complaining because it's just one of those things when you share a building with other people. I left before I said anything else I regretted and I thought that was the end of it but today my husband came home from working overnight and asked if I had said anything to the woman downstairs as she was very cold and blunt with him when he said hello. I told him what happened and he said I'm a massive rear end in a top hat. I've spoken to a couple of my friends who think I've handled this completely wrong and I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat for it but I don't see what else I could have done

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

Help, my neighbor is at home! What do I do?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evil Willow posted:

loving lol. I'm insane about noisy neighbours in multi-family situations but it sounds like downstairs is barely making any sounds at all but upstairs is just insane and hyper-fixated on someone daring to work from home. Meanwhile she's got noisy kids bouncing off the walls all day and downstairs doesn't care.

Better soundproofing between units should really be standard to avoid these sort of conflicts, but I have a feeling this woman would be driven to a rage just from the idea that a bedroom was being used for filthy low class "work" instead of proper middle class sleeping only.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Karma is a scoring system, you can upvote or downvote a post and individual comments. "Reached a karma limit" is code for "this is getting downvoted to poo poo so we're going to take it down to curb the inevitable drama". Same thing for number of comments. Reddit is a massive website, so if people from outside of a subreddit catch wind of a popular post you can get a huge torrent of comments that the mods might be unable or unwilling to deal with.

Quackles posted:

On Reddit, people can upvote or downvote posts and comments. When someone does this, a point is added or removed from the account that made the post or comment.
This score is displayed publicly on a user's profile, so redditors regard having a high karma as a symbol of being a worthy poster.

Typically this means the post is very popular or being flamed to heck. However, it's common to upvote posts if you like it, so the limit exists to keep users from boosting their accounts too much by making posts on r/relationships.

Ah, thank you both. Once again forums are proven to be superior because gently caress all those restrictions. Just post!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SA locks threads all the time for getting huge/full of insane weirdos. This isn't even the first r/relationships thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

It's either a well written troll or just very bleak, but I know someone very similar to the OP and everyone just works around her to make sure her daughter is fine.

I've got something in a similar vein and its just wall to wall low key depressing where you're like "this person has committed to being the maximum detriment to their child as they can legally be" and it sounds crazy when you type it out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend has 3 kids from her ex. He is nearly totally uninvolved and a huge piece of poo poo, just one of the worst people I've even known about personally. Lazy sack of poo poo who won't lift a finger to help the kids, but the moment he finds out there's something he can do to make everyone's lives miserable he will go to the ends of the earth to accomplish it. For instance her kids had a chance to fly across the country to visit their grandparents for a week. He found out and got a lawyer (he has no money but he ponied up for this!) in order to legally block the kids from leaving the province without his permission as is his legal right. Any time an out of province trip is an option for the kids, he does the same thing and jumps through all the legal hoops to block the kids from going as it violates his parental rights and he has a veto. It's not because he wants to see them or spend time with them, he just loves to flex these sort of powers and make life miserable for his ex and kids.

And when he DOES spend time with the kids he spends the entire time ranting about his ex, their mom. While she does her best to not totally poison their relationship or tell them he's why they can't go on trips or see family, he uses every chance he can to talk poo poo about her. "Daddy can't afford food because mommy makes daddy give her all his money" (he's too poor to pay child support, she actually pays him) or "I can't afford to buy birthday presents because even though mommy is rich she doesn't let me have enough money to buy you things" (she's a struggling single mom looking after 3 kids). He'll also mention how his ex ruined his life and how one day he'll just kill himself over it. Great poo poo to tell your kids.

He's also called the cops on his kids a few times.

Just an absolute garbage person. He's too garbage to even off himself, just uses it to manipulate everyone around him.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

your friend, hey

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly I think there's a decent chance his "suspicians" were not based on reality but instead on "I am unhappy with being a stay at home dad because because its not so much by choice but because I got kicked out of the military after being disabled and disfigured, potentially in that military service, but maybe instead I'm unhappy because she's actually not my kid?"

It's just, incidentally it turned out to be correct that he wasn't the bio dad. A case where I don't think completely ditching the kid was, y'know, GOOD but I can easily see how it happened.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

loving lol. I'm insane about noisy neighbours in multi-family situations but it sounds like downstairs is barely making any sounds at all but upstairs is just insane and hyper-fixated on someone daring to work from home. Meanwhile she's got noisy kids bouncing off the walls all day and downstairs doesn't care.

Better soundproofing between units should really be standard to avoid these sort of conflicts, but I have a feeling this woman would be driven to a rage just from the idea that a bedroom was being used for filthy low class "work" instead of proper middle class sleeping only.

she's weirdly fixated on her neighbor being childless and single, so it's probably some kind of internalized misogyny thing

she'd probably be fine if it was normal, natural noise like babies crying or toddlers running around shrieking, not the infernal murmur of a witch's devil engines

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My parents want to take 20% of my (22m) paycheck and I don’t want to give it to them. Any advice?

quote:

Everyone being harsh about this really needs to chill and stay in their lane. And before you comment, would you want your parents charging you to live in their house when it’s not needed? I know life is hard, life isn’t free, poo poo happens, but I’m in a situation where I can save a decent amount then move out like everyone is saying. I’m trying to save for my future, not go blow my money on dumb poo poo.

So since I began working my parents have had this this where they take 20% of my paycheck. In the past it didn’t bother me bc I understand they were paying for my education and that money would help them out. Now that I have graduated and finally found a job related to my degree, they still want to take 20% and I haven’t even gotten my first pay check. It really bothers me bc I don’t feel it is essential to give them the 20%. I know they don’t need it bc I’d say we are middle class and don’t struggle for what we have. I have made my own bank account and when I start working that money is going into that account and not the one they set up for me. I made a budget for the upcoming year and really want to save money but with the 20% they want, I won’t be able to save how I want. I know they are going to ask about it but I don’t want to give it to them. Any advice?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

My parents want to take 20% of my (22m) paycheck and I don’t want to give it to them. Any advice?

I need to see where that first paragraph comes from because I’m strongly leaning on the side of the parents because of it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

MarcusSA posted:

I need to see where that first paragraph comes from because I’m strongly leaning on the side of the parents because of it.

He added it in as an edit, I added the para break. People are telling him to either suck it up and pay his parents or move out and pay his own rent and bills.

One of the comments he really didn't like....

quote:

I blame the parents. If they hadn’t raised him to expect everything for free (education, housing, food, etc) then he wouldn’t be on Reddit trying to justify his entitlement. It’s ok man, I bet if you object enough they will finally give in and let you live for free or reduce it to something silly like $100/month. Because I bet that’s how you were raised to get your way. I’m not judging I’m just saying hold your ground and they’ll bend. Promise.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 10, 2021

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for laughing after my sister implied my brother's girlfriend's dish wasn't good at Thanksgiving?

UPDATE: AITA for laughing after my sister implied my brother's girlfriend's dish wasn't good at Thanksgiving?

quote:

Questions/clearing things up in general first.

Yes they were actual raisins, not the metaphorical kind. They were just mixed into the mashed potatoes. Yes, my wife makes a side salad as all "traditional" dishes are given to immediate family members. No, my brother does not make anything, never has. Chelsea and John have been together about a month and a half at this point. The laugh wasn't a "hahaha" it was a "HA" just one very loud ha.

Alright, into the meat:

John is still mad at my sister and I.

I had a conversation with Chelsea a day after I originally made the post. I explained that while my original apology was genuine, I can understand that it didn't come off that way and that I really was sorry. I also said that I had no intentions to hurt her feelings whatsoever.

She explained that my brother told her to bring that potatoes, which she questioned because she is familiar with the traditional Thanksgiving set-up. The justification for that was him "wanting her to feel like a part of the family." She also said she was worried about none of us going for her dish and mentioned it to my brother who then asked my aunt to only display hers. Apparently she saw some kind of tutorial online with the raisins and just went for it. No it was not cultural.

She asked for some mash tips, and she was going right with her technique, she just panicked when they burnt and then added water which I'm assuming is what altered the taste. Then she added the raisins which we both agreed can be left out of future potatoes lol.

Overall, Chelsea and I are all good, and she will be coming to Christmas dinner.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My (F23) BF (M25) Thinks We Don’t Have Sex Enough

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together (he’s 25 and i’m 23) for five years. We both have fairly high sex drives but his is a bit higher than mine. On average, we have sex twice a day which I thought was good enough considering we’re both med school students and we both work. But yesterday, he sat me down and explained that he thinks we’re not having sex enough. He feels like four or five times a day would satisfy his sex drive, and explained that two times a day wasn’t enough for him.

Though I do have a high sex drive, more than two times a day is a bit excessive to me. Realistically, graduate school and hours of work drain so much energy out of me and by the end of the day, all I want to do is rest. Physically, two times a day is already doing a number on my body and I often wake up sore/in pain. But even more so, something I appreciate about sex is the emotional and intimate connection with a partner. In a way, I feel like too much sex would take away the “specialness” of sex as it would become routine and wouldn’t mean as much to me since it’s something we do all the time.

I have tried to explain this and to compromise, I have offered doing more oral and/or hand stuff on a daily basis but he’s still not satisfied and says “it’s not the same”. I feel like we’re kind of stuck and I’m not sure what to do.

tl;dr: BF wants to have sex more than two times a day but I think that’s excessive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waiting for the update where the boyfriend dies from a chronic low jing

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Glumslinger posted:

My (F23) BF (M25) Thinks We Don’t Have Sex Enough

I literally cannot fathom this dude.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I need to know the name of this cat.

Her name is Rain and she is a wonderful cat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Betazoid posted:

I went through something like this. I've told this story before on here... I dated my sister's very close friend for three years. I broke it off because we weren't aligned on children or religion, he was too dependent on his mom, he took me for granted, and I didn't think I should marry the guy I started dating at 18. (I wanted to go have a slutty phase.)

When I met my now-husband after a good slutty phase, my sister would not acknowledge his presence, not even say hello. I think she was just pissed at me for ending my relationship. When we got engaged, she sent a screenshot of my "I'm engaged!" text to my ex. They also gossiped about me a lot and made snipes at my husband.

14 years later, she's still never said a word to my husband. I always thought if she thought the ex was so great, SHE should have dated him. I ruined her image of him becoming her BIL I guess.

sorry your sister's nuts. but also lol

also what the hell is a "slutty phase"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A Period of Pronounced Promiscuity

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for claiming total control over the thermostat?

quote:

I know the stakes here aren't as high as many of the stories typically shared here, but I really would like some feedback on my situation, so I appreciate you all bearing with me.

I want to start off by saying my apartment is very old, and very poorly built. The insulation here is terrible, and I live in a part of the world where the summers are blistering, and the winters are positively frigid. Right now, it's freaking COLD. My partner and I have been living here for six years together, and its been great. He's practically perfect in every way and we're both great at working together and compromising when we don't see eye to eye. Except on this.

Every single year without fail, winter rolls around and the thermostat war begins. And I don't mean teehee cute little back and forth about it, I mean this is WW3. He wants it down to the brink of seeing your breath at night, and I want it up to 75/78 which in our house means the actual temp is closer to high 60s.

He says it's a waste of money and I should just wear more layers, I say I pay the bills and have a right to not freeze my butt off and that I shouldn't have to wear an oppressive amount of clothing to stay comfortable. That, and I have reptiles. Even with heat pads, the house being freezing brings down their entire enclosure temp, and sick snake vet bills are astronomical.

And here's the thing; I don't JUST pay the heat/electric. I pay ALL of the bills. And I don't JUST pay all of the bills, I give him $300/mo towards the electric. For nine months out of the year, our electric doesn't break $150. There rest of it is money he can play with or put in the gas tank or whatever. So it REALLY bugs me that I pay double the cost for the electric year round, then for the three months of the year it's actually closer to what I'm paying, he claims it's a waste of money and TURNS DOWN THE HEAT.

I've told him not to touch it. He tells me not to touch it. He turns the heat OFF, so I pump it up to 90 in response until the house warms back up. There is no compromise to be had. I am ADAMANT that the thermostat is my domain. He thinks I'm an AH. So Reddit, AITA?

EDIT* I'm not responding to any more comments about our ages. It's not relevant to the situation, and frankly I'm getting tired of being talked down to over something this post isn't even about. Big thanks to everyone else who stayed on topic, I will do my best to respond to as many as I can with relevant questions or good points.

Just in case you're curious about the ages.....

OP posted:

I'm 28, he's 65 and we've been living here together for six years.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought old people got cold easier

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for claiming total control over the thermostat?

Just in case you're curious about the ages.....

she waiting for the old man to die to solve this problem or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

why