Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Accent

i tried BPM (bullets per minute). it's a bit weird at first but i think i'm getting the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer pal

Farecoal posted:

Update: killed the two tigers in Frigid Outskirts (related: gently caress that place)

i just spent like an hour there last night after beating the burnt ivory king and it truly is hellish. i think im gonna just come back after ive finished the rest of the game and respec into a haevy armour big hammer build to get through it

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Farecoal

There he go
I ended up taking all three NPC phantoms. They were a great distraction for the enemies and I was pretty successful at just sprinting through. Surprisingly, they really helped with the boss too! Even with the load of extra health that the tigers got, they aggroed them enough that I could just whale on their butts.

more falafel please

forums poster

i like the uncharted games because they're very low-lift. totally linear, no crafting or inventory management, pew pew, climb rocks, rearrange symbols to put light on the monkey and open the door, pew pew. simple/formulaic but fun stories, great cinematics.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Scaly Haylie

Scaly Haylie posted:

do people like uncharted???

so it turns out the first third of the game is a bunch of samey jungle ruins, and i stopped right before an area change and like two dope vehicle segments. ended up beating the game last night, it was pretty good but kinda short.

next game is dead rising 4 :negative:

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Scaly Haylie posted:

so it turns out the first third of the game is a bunch of samey jungle ruins, and i stopped right before an area change and like two dope vehicle segments. ended up beating the game last night, it was pretty good but kinda short.

next game is dead rising 4 :negative:

The downfall of Dead Rising is a huge bummer :(. I loved the original and the handful of different versions of 2, Case Zero, Dead Rising 2, Case West, and Dead Rising 2 Off the Record. I bought Dead Rising 3 on PC and for a while it ran like absolute crap no matter how I jiggered the settings, but even once I upgraded my pc and tried again years later it just wasn't all that fun. It didn't really feel like a Dead Rising game anymore because the structure and gameplay had changed so much. All of the videos of 4 looked like more of the gameplay from 3 only now the new developers had seen what a meme Frank West had become and decided to really lean into it. Kinda like how the appeal of the Tommy Wiseau movie "The Room" is that it's clear he was trying to make a mostly serious drama about infidelity but everything about the movie is working against it and it ends up being funny... but then Tommy realized everyone thought his movie was a comedy and leaned into the "wacky Tommy" persona and did some other shows and things that weren't funny at all because it was all forced.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on 4. Maybe my presumptions are off.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

French Accent posted:

i tried BPM (bullets per minute). it's a bit weird at first but i think i'm getting the hang of it.

I got this too. I like it but I wish I could just set the video/audio lag settings directly instead of relying on the calibration tool. Every time I do the calibration tool the numbers are wildly different so the timing always feels just a little off.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I beat Bloodstained and did all the secret bosses except Dracule, I meant to pop right back in and fight him but I got distracted by the randomizer mode which is also a lot of fun. Very neat game and the ideal length for a Metroidvania imo.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Finger Prince

Weird how we call them boss fights when, in a lot of cases, they are at best independent contractors.

*enemies clear out*
*save point appears*
*ominous music starts playing*
Uh oh, project manager fight...

Scaly Haylie

oh excuse me dead rising 4 i didn't know your dlc was seventeen loving gigabytes

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Scaly Haylie posted:

oh excuse me dead rising 4 i didn't know your dlc was seventeen loving gigabytes

p. small compared to some, Borderlands 3 is 170+GB with the DLC and just lol at CoD (Modern Warfare + Warzone + Cold War) wanting over 300GB if you install everything. Small installs are becoming a thing of the past :sigh:

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

NumptyScrub posted:

p. small compared to some, Borderlands 3 is 170+GB with the DLC and just lol at CoD (Modern Warfare + Warzone + Cold War) wanting over 300GB if you install everything. Small installs are becoming a thing of the past :sigh:

Lol 300GB? I don't even know if my Series S can fit that.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Finger Prince posted:

Weird how we call them boss fights when, in a lot of cases, they are at best independent contractors.

*enemies clear out*
*save point appears*
*ominous music starts playing*
Uh oh, project manager fight...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jolo

I wanted to like Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS but for every thing I liked about it there were 2 things I really hated. It's also hard as hell on normal difficulty and there isn't an easy option.

IGgy IGsen

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jolo posted:

I wanted to like Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS but for every thing I liked about it there were 2 things I really hated. It's also hard as hell on normal difficulty and there isn't an easy option.

I never played that version myself because just looking at it I didn't think I'd like it.

I did very much enjoy AM2R, though, so maybe you'll like that. It's basically Metroid 2's story with Zero Mission's gameplay.

Farecoal

There he go
Finished another playthrough of DS2, this time as a tanky gal with a giant wooden stick (and giant mace later on). Harder than the DS1 version of that, easier in some ways than my DS2 dex run. Gonna try the same pattern with DS3. I'm seriously considering installing a mod that makes poise act like it did in the first two games, but it's a bannable mod and I like online co-op. Hmmmmmmmm....

beer pal

i finished my ds2 playthrough over the weekend, i was playing a caster for the first time. it was mostly pretty easy, the only main game bosses that gave me trouble were executioner's chariot (its really unreliable if your magic missiles will land at close range, so when u gotta hide in the cubbies with skeletons its a crapshoot) smelter demon (the first boss where i had to actually dodge properly and not just keep distance) and vendrick (for the same reason)

then i got in the dlc and suddenly it takes 4 or 5 spellcasts to kill anything so you run out of spells really fast. i had to resort to just backstabbing everything with my +10 magic dagger. it was nice that soem of the bosses forced me to switch up my spells instead of just shooting magic missiles at everything - blue smelter demon beacuse he's very magic resistant (had to use pyromancies), burnt ivory king because all the guys just run around with their shields up (i found combustion worked really well for me). my fave boss fight was sir alonne, he takes a ton of hits because he's resistant to all magic, u gotta be very patient and manage your positioning carefully

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

itry

Farecoal posted:

I'm seriously considering installing a mod that makes poise act like it did in the first two games, but it's a bannable mod and I like online co-op. Hmmmmmmmm....

I think Convergence does that, and you can play with other people using the same online password (Converge). They recently released version 2.0 which has voice acting for their new NPC's, so there are probably a lot of people using it atm. https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/672

I haven't tried the mod yet. I reinstalled DS3 to see if I still enjoy the base game, because you need both DLC's for the mod to work and I only have one of them, so I'll have to buy the Ashes one. But apparently it mostly bores me these days.
Last time I played it was 2017 according to Steam, and it's far less responsive than I remembered. And all the annoying stuff is still there (no poise / magic is meh / too many enemies with infinite stamina that can't be stunned / shields are bad). I still put over 200 hours into it back when it was new, despite all of that stuff, but I don't know that I want to spend more money on it now.

The mod seems neat though.

Edit: slightly less than 200 hours. Also I lost my saves with my NG++++++ character. :(
Edit: I should probably just wait for Elden Ring instead. It'll probably play better, and it'll have a new world to explore.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 8, 2021

sb hermit

Jolo posted:

:same:

I get stuck frequently and it's not as fun as the gba games.

I'm thinking I should just shelve it and dive into dread

Farecoal

There he go

They made ALL the DLC enemies take half damage from any sort of elemental attacks, including magic, because ???. It's very annoying and not a good design choice imo

Haven't heard of Convergence before, but I know Cinders (another overhaul mod) includes the poise change by default. Somebody also made a standalone mod for poise, though.

Ashes of Ariandel is pretty good. Ringed City was better but Ashes has a very cool end boss and some quite frankly terrifying enemies

Jolo

sb hermit posted:

:same:

I get stuck frequently and it's not as fun as the gba games.

I'm thinking I should just shelve it and dive into dread

AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) is still available out and about online and looks like it's way closer to the other 2d metroid games.

I wouldn't recommend continuing if you're not having a good time. The difficulty continually ratchets up in a really tedious way. If you get to a difficult area or boss and don't have full health/juice there's often not a good way to replenish it without a bunch of back tracking or killing enemies for 10 health at a time. The back end of the game is loaded with bosses but each has so much health and takes off so much of Samus's health with any attack that to progress you have to really memorize each boss attack and how to avoid it to get by them. In the Dark Souls games usually you'll need to learn a few of the boss's attacks to prevail but in Samus Returns I felt like I needed to know EVERY attack well to proceed.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

found out about the Dark Souls mod with halo guns and i knew i had to roll a new character. then the instructions were a bit muddled and i missed the actual guns part. gonna have to re-roll since it relies getting the pendant as your starting gift. still... looking forward to it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzJgYaMRknw

at around 30+ minutes he takes out the gargolyes with a magnum and a shotgun. satisfying.

itry

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

found out about the Dark Souls mod with halo guns and i knew i had to roll a new character. then the instructions were a bit muddled and i missed the actual guns part. gonna have to re-roll since it relies getting the pendant as your starting gift. still... looking forward to it -

at around 30+ minutes he takes out the gargolyes with a magnum and a shotgun. satisfying.

I think I saw this guy on GDQ. Also :lol:

Edit: mod https://www.patreon.com/posts/58341679

Edit: lol at 11:00 mark

itry fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 9, 2021

kalel

lol that's badass

Farecoal

There he go
I was doing some co-op in DS3 last night and was helping this guy through the Catacombs. I shot a mimic with an arrow because I wasn't sure if the host knew about it. The mimic comes running at me, does a spinning kick across a gap and one-shots me right in the face :darksouls:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

burned through most of the early game this afternoon with the magnum and plasma pistol. the only real pain in the arse was Capra Demon. you just can't get a good start with the drat dogs rushing you. finally did it but whew. gaping dragon was easy cheesy. stuck on blighttown, as per usual. but that's really because you have to choose pendant as your starting gift and the key to unlock the back way to blighttown isn't available.

Zurtilik

I'm playing SMT V. I've never played one but I have been given lots of fair warning about what it is. My wife on the other hand had no idea what was about to occur. She seems perturbed and stated "You play a lot of weird games."

Farecoal

There he go

Zurtilik posted:

I'm playing SMT V. I've never played one but I have been given lots of fair warning about what it is. My wife on the other hand had no idea what was about to occur. She seems perturbed and stated "You play a lot of weird games."

:nice: I wish I could play it but no Switch. SMT 3 and 4 (and 4A) are all really good and if you enjoy V then try those out. SMT 3 is even on Steam now!

Zurtilik

They say SMT V will come to PC in like a yearish. So hold out, good orb!

Finger Prince

I kinda want to play a new shooty mans of some kind, but not sure what. The Division 2 ultra deluxe version is on sale, but I'm not sure if it's any good. It's Ubisoft so is it just exactly like every other Ubisoft game? I guess I could fire up cyberpunk again, but the gunplay was kinda weak in that game. Man, Cyberpunk would have been so much better if it was a Shadowrun game.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Finger Prince posted:

I kinda want to play a new shooty mans of some kind, but not sure what. The Division 2 ultra deluxe version is on sale, but I'm not sure if it's any good. It's Ubisoft so is it just exactly like every other Ubisoft game? I guess I could fire up cyberpunk again, but the gunplay was kinda weak in that game. Man, Cyberpunk would have been so much better if it was a Shadowrun game.

Doom eternal is a pretty fun shoot guys game

Bobby Deluxe

The bulk of Division 2 is the same chill map clearing as the first one, just in a new city so if you enjoyed the campaign of Div1, you'll probably enjoy it.

The endgame stuff once you complete the campaign and move up tiers is absolutely brutal though. It's not fun.

Jolo

Yeah I had fun going through the campaign of Div 2. I didn't care about the story but the shooting and gadgets gameplay feels really good in it. It's also nice because when you do a mission you can matchmake just for that one and people of any level can assist and the game will just boost everyone up to the same level and it all works seamlessly.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Whoa that actually sounds p fun but does it have that Ubisoft thing where you shoot a dude in the face and he doesn't react in any way except for turning and shooting at you instead?

more falafel please

forums poster

so a game i worked on got announced last night and we're doing a "first look" sorta thing where a bunch of streamers and other folks are gonna play it today:

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Rumbleverse

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Jolo

Achtane posted:

Whoa that actually sounds p fun but does it have that Ubisoft thing where you shoot a dude in the face and he doesn't react in any way except for turning and shooting at you instead?

Some of the dudes are pretty bullet spongey, but they look that way with like big bulky armor and poo poo. Those guys will no-sell some of your shots but in general I think the dudes react to getting shot the way you want them to. That annoys me in games too. The enemies in Samus Returns just ignore a lot of your shots and attack right through them and it's really annoying.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The bulk of Division 2 is the same chill map clearing as the first one, just in a new city so if you enjoyed the campaign of Div1, you'll probably enjoy it.

The endgame stuff once you complete the campaign and move up tiers is absolutely brutal though. It's not fun.

I never played division 1. I've played farcry 5 which I don't really like and never finished, and ghost recon wildlands which was fun but is basically just assassins creed with guns, and also I never finished. So if it's less repetitive and bullshit than farcry 5, and less sneak around than ghost recon, I think I'll give it a go. If I can remember my playstation password to update my cc info.

Bobby Deluxe

It's almost no sneaking. I mean you can sneak past some enemies but it's very much set up as a go loud, balls out gadget shooter.

If you enjoyed graw i think it's pretty much the same engine just set in a city. It's also very uh... thematically appropriate for our current times.

E: I also enjoyed the first one much more than the second, maybe because it was all new or just because NY is a more familiar setting from TV & movies.

It also has a lovely photo mode, which I always appreciate.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's almost no sneaking. I mean you can sneak past some enemies but it's very much set up as a go loud, balls out gadget shooter.

If you enjoyed graw i think it's pretty much the same engine just set in a city. It's also very uh... thematically appropriate for our current times.

E: I also enjoyed the first one much more than the second, maybe because it was all new or just because NY is a more familiar setting from TV & movies.

It also has a lovely photo mode, which I always appreciate.

Cool, cool, I'm kind looking for a fun sorta PvE COD, but not COD, with maybe some online squad stuff, so sounds like it'll fit the bill. Wildlands was fun, but the sniping and infiltration gets kinda boring after a while. The ultra deluxe version of division 2 has a gangs of New York add on, so I think you go back there after the main campaign. The whole thing is like $30.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel

Farecoal posted:

I was doing some co-op in DS3 last night and was helping this guy through the Catacombs. I shot a mimic with an arrow because I wasn't sure if the host knew about it. The mimic comes running at me, does a spinning kick across a gap and one-shots me right in the face :darksouls:

:laffo: