System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Warren Brown:

Australia joins diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics (SBS). The Prime Minister's XI (eleven) is a cricket team the PM picks but isn't the one playing at the moment.

Meanwhile, back in the real world

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1468485092347887616?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

This cartoon from Liu Riu in China's Global Times made it into the local Australian news in the coverage of China's reaction:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

kartikeya posted:

Thanos, that famous movie villain who wanted to take over the universe by snapping his fingers or something.

...At least I assume that's supposed to be Thanos' gauntlet, it says Thanos costume way off on the side where it's easy to miss, on top of that map of Ukraine invasion plan that is also easy to miss, but it's such a mangled mess to look at that maybe it's a red metal Christmas tree instead. I like how the focal point of this image is bored Putin and a giant piece of blank paper. By the way, in case you didn't know it was Putin, as he has a head shaped like a cancerous ravioli, there's a sign that says 'Putin' on his desk, way way down at the bottom where the bottom of the letters are partially cut off. Did you know Putin was short and dumb???? Probably not, because this truly vital information is loving illegible and upside down.

edit: No, wait, I forgot to comment on how this "style" is loving up everything else. Does Putin have pupils? Who the hell knows. He's got white hair against a white background framed by that too busy chairback separated only by thin sketching, which means I keep seeing that space as being entirely hair. His face is such an amorphous blob of nothing against the dirty as hell looking armor, with the line representing the (I had to look this up) philtrum being in more or less the worst place to put it, that it looks like it's melting into cleavage. The armor is so busy the hand is practically lost, with the equally too busy wrist...whatever blending right in. And actually there's not just one piece of blank paper sitting where the eye is drawn, there are, in fact, two. What looks like a red speech bubble that is making a valiant attempt at escape is sitting right at the top, and it's probably supposed to be a coat of arms or something, but why the gently caress would you draw just the bottom of that.

In Endgame Thanos said he was inevitable. That's it. This entire comic hinges on a single line that could just have easily been any other word.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the PM’s decline and fall – A letter from Boris Johnson’s PPS confirming a flight had been set aside to evacuate animals from Afghanistan has come to light"

Telegraph:

No 10 party: more Downing Street gatherings now under the spotlight; Frustrated England rue Stokes no-ball and Ashes technology breakdown

Matt:

:grovertoot:

Independent:

Boris Johnson rushes in Covid plan B amid Christmas party scandal

Times:

PM accused of lying after No 10 officials caught joking about Christmas party

Evening Standard:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

As Morrison heads towards a looming election his party is spilling off on both sides.

Rowe:

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce tests positive for COVID-19 in US (ABC).

Knight:

Warren Brown:

Wilcox: :words:

Pavlidis:

Look at his little face when he thinks it's a severed head.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Western Australian premier Mark McGowan. WA will be the last state to have its borders shut to other states as they will not hit their vaccination targets until early next year.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

THE SMASH AND GRAB BIG GOVERNMENT CRIMINALS ARE LOOTING OUR COUNTRY

We’ve all seen the recent crime sprees taking place in the Democrat-controlled big cities. Acting in concert, flash mobs showed up to smash glass counters, steal the jewelry inside, and then make a quick getaway.

They are nothing compared to the smash and grab criminals controlling our country. I’ve drawn three here, but there are many more. The corporate media, for example. They smash and remove the truth and leave lies behind.

Big Pharma is unaccountable and irresponsible. It claims to own science, but what they really own is greed. Pfizer rakes in over $200 million taxpayer dollars per day for their dangerous and ineffective injections. The corporate media does not say a word about those injured or dying from the so-called vaccines. They don’t mention that thousands who are fully vaccinated not only contract Covid, but also die from the Chinese bioweapon.

Big Government makes laws in order to grow their own power as well as to enrich themselves. The so-called “Patriot Act” is a good example. It had nothing to do with patriotism. It had everything to do with stealing our liberties. Big Guv does this as a matter of routine. It keeps taking until it encounters resistance. Unfortunately they rarely get much push back. Too many people still think Big Guv is on their side and out to do good things for citizens. Nope. Big Guv is more concerned in getting reelected and growing more wealthy as it starts new wars. The latest may be against Russia. Yes, Big Guv wants to use US Troops and even threaten global nuclear war in order to protect the borders of Ukraine. Meanwhile, our southern borders remain wide open.

The Federal Reserve is an expert smash and grabber. It steals by means of currency creation at the flip of a switch. It is spent by the top of the pyramid and those at the bottom pay the hidden tax by means of inflation. The IRS makes sure it finishes the job of wealth confiscation, thereby making the working class poorer.

The criminal government gets away with it because they own a monopoly on force. Try and resist and they will send armed functionaries to arrest you. Resist arrest and you could be murdered. Included in the government mob are Big Pharma and The Federal Reserve. The politicized FBI does as it pleases, too. The CIA has been rogue almost from the start.

They will all continue until they are stopped. They will only stop when there is nothing left to grab. When that happens we will have no freedom, no privacy, and no dignity. We will own nothing and live in a technocratic dictatorship unless the war mongers decide to destroy all life on Earth first by means of a nuclear war.

The time to push back against this tyranny is now.

— Ben Garrison

The guy shaking his fist just makes me think of Mad Whitey.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You should include the hilarious mid-rant ad that says Biden’s REAL approval is like 4%.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Oh no they're smashing the cases that lock away Life, Liberty and Prosperity to sell them to the rich. :ohdear:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah yes, bad laws.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, I think Garrison is feeling better.

More's the pity.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
It's a real return to form for garrison. There aren't any specific heroes or villains, just vague conspiratorial imagery. It reminds me of his pre-4chan days.

It makes me think he isn't synced up with the right-wing marching orders anymore.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

rydiafan posted:

In Endgame Thanos said he was inevitable. That's it. This entire comic hinges on a single line that could just have easily been any other word.

loving incredible. I've got a family member for whom Marvel movies are basically comfort food, and I still somehow missed it. Ramirez, you drat hack.

Edit: political cartoons need to be like billboard ads in that they need to get their message across as quickly and as clearly as possible, viewers should not be squinting at the thing like a horribly drawn Where's Waldo? trying to find the loving point.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2021

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

kartikeya posted:

loving incredible. I've got a family member for whom Marvel movies are basically comfort food, and I still somehow missed it. Ramirez, you drat hack.

Edit: political cartoons need to be like billboard ads in that they need to get their message across as quickly and as clearly as possible, viewers should not be squinting at the thing like a horribly drawn Where's Waldo? trying to find the loving point.

Isn't that Henry Payne's whole shtick?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
nono, his cartoons aren't like billboards, they contain billboards.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

Isn't that Henry Payne's whole shtick?

Payne has two modes:

"Car needs go VROOM"

and

"If global warming, why cold?"

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

the_steve posted:

Just to point out the obvious, I haven't seen any of those yet this year.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Raised By Birds posted:

This thread is the only place I've seen mention of these smash and grab robberies. Are there actually more than usual or is this just fluffery?

e: lol at "bad laws"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Puke posted:

Don't worry, we'll get another polar vortex in like May or something, and all the idiots in the world will sing the words in unison.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cat Puke posted:

Yeah, it's weird how they get drawn later and later every year.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

the_steve posted:

Payne has two modes:

"Car needs go VROOM"

and

Both of these modes will either be on billboards or enormous cars, or enormous cars on billboards/billboards on enormous cars.

Occasionally he gets really daring and it's on the world's most misshapen computer instead.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

At this point some of my least favorite comics are the ones that are bad at being right.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
almost died when i realizerd who the Ghislaine and Epstein courtroom sketch reminded me of

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

smarxist posted:

almost died when i realizerd who the Ghislaine and Epstein courtroom sketch reminded me of

Kellies nomination: best edit/parody

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Sending my love to the poli-toons thread, you never forget an old flame.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are those real lines from DbD, because if not that’s a very good impression

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Stacey Abrams thing is right wing media is making a big deal of her recently saying she didn't contest the 2018 election, saying that yes she totally did and she's a big ol' liar and liberals are hypocrites for being mad at the GOP saying the 2020 election was stolen but not mad at her for saying the 2018 election was stolen. Which of course is one of the favorite talking points of the right, "Liberals are hypocrites for saying A is bad and B is good (but we are not hypocrites for saying A is good and B is bad)."

Except she's correct that she didn't actually contest it. She didn't concede, but that's not the same thing as contesting it. She didn't go out and write up a bunch of lawsuits trying to overturn the election. She has made clear she thinks her loss was due to voter suppression, which is unfortunately a legal way to influence the outcome of an election, not on the level of the GOP's claims about buses full of illegal immigrants voting at multiple places, or rigged voting machines, or fake ballots shipped in from China.

quote:

Yes, Big Guv wants to use US Troops and even threaten global nuclear war in order to protect the borders of Ukraine. Meanwhile, our southern borders remain wide open.

My god, he's right! The Mexican army could invade the US and seize control of it at any moment!

quote:

The criminal government gets away with it because they own a monopoly on force. Try and resist and they will send armed functionaries to arrest you. Resist arrest and you could be murdered.

Gosh Ben, whatever happened to "Just don't resist arrest and you won't get murdered"? I remember you saying that quite a bit during the racial justice protests!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did they outright discover that Abrams got totally screwed over in the election, but nothing’s done about it because Republicans control the state?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

smarxist posted:

lmfaoooo

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Walt Handelsman

Phil Hands

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Marty Two Bulls

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

Best Wishes
The majority of Americans are longing for a Merry Christmas like in the days before the Biden Disaster.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Conservatives will never shut up about the "mean tweets" thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thank you, Clay Jones, for being the one to do this particular needful.

Also I just realized that Bob Dole outlived Norm and that's incredible.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't checked on one of the PoliToons threads since early 2020. For reasons. Did I miss anything particularly wild?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

What a rad rear end nerf gun. I wish I had, had a western sanctions brand nerf gun when I was a kid. :(

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pants Donkey posted:

Did they outright discover that Abrams got totally screwed over in the election, but nothing’s done about it because Republicans control the state?

I looked it up and one of my statements was incorrect, Abrams did file a lawsuit against the state of Georgia. But anyway yeah. In addition to the usual voter suppression tactics of closing a bunch of polling places (mostly in minority neighborhoods) the voter rolls got purged of a bunch of voters, and the registration of other voters was delayed. The GOP said that anyone who was considered "pending registration" could still vote if they went to the polling place and presented an ID, which doesn't really work as a defense since most people who get told that their registration is pending are just going to go "Great, so I guess I can't vote then" and not bother going. There was also something about absentee ballots not being counted when they should have.

At any rate, as said before, she didn't concede, but she admitted there was basically no way she could win. This is very different from "We actually won but there was so much fraud that the election was illegitimate and we should march to the capital and force them to overturn the results."

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Naughty children don't get toys from Santa, don't act like an rear end.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Besides That?

Ted Rall posted:

Democrats seem confused that Joe Biden’s approval ratings are dropping precipitously despite the fact that the economy isn’t terrible, he is acting on COVID-19 and he has passed a significant infrastructure bill. They don’t seem to understand that voters look first and foremost for strength and leadership in the commander-in-chief, and that Joe Biden is inherently incapable of projecting those two qualities.

First Dog on the Moon: What was the nicest thing to happen to you in 2021? Surely something good happened

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I looked it up and one of my statements was incorrect, Abrams did file a lawsuit against the state of Georgia. But anyway yeah. In addition to the usual voter suppression tactics of closing a bunch of polling places (mostly in minority neighborhoods) the voter rolls got purged of a bunch of voters, and the registration of other voters was delayed. The GOP said that anyone who was considered "pending registration" could still vote if they went to the polling place and presented an ID, which doesn't really work as a defense since most people who get told that their registration is pending are just going to go "Great, so I guess I can't vote then" and not bother going. There was also something about absentee ballots not being counted when they should have.

Also, her opponent was GA's secretary of state at the time and was in charge of the election. He also ran an ad where he pointed a gun at his daughter's boyfriend.

I live in Georgia and I hate Brian Kemp a whole loving lot!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is my favorite right wing talking point because it takes a small finger push to make it fall down

Trump had gas down to $1.79! Because he ignored COVID until it was a wide spread pandemic and everything was shut down and no one was able to leave their house. Everyone sure wants to return to that!

Raised By Birds posted: