Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

Expanse season 6 is live, gogogogo

It’s releasing weekly?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

No Butt Stuff posted:

It’s releasing weekly?!?!

I'm so mad

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

+1 on the burned the gently caress out by work crew. Being properly staffed is always juuuust a couple weeks away, and has been since June. Had my monthly talk with my boss's boss a few weeks ago, and I'm at the 2+ years "what do you want to do next" conversation. Made me actually think about the Venn diagram between my current job and my education being two tangential circles (ok, the skills I learned are applicable, but not the actual applied science part).

Started looking a bit on Indeed, and there is a position 15 minutes away (about 1/2 my current drive, maybe a little less than half even considering much less chance for traffic) that is very in line with my background. Only real impediments are my nagging imposter syndrome (I know I could do it, but stress about making my resume prove that), and being so loving run down after work that the last thing I want to do is work on a resume and cover letter.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

God dammit. Well at least I can savor it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Well, now that many of you have more free time than anticipated this evening, you should consider joining us for game night 20 minutes from now.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m rooting for all of you to get juicy raises and bonuses.

An acquaintance I know started a new tech job and received a $25k signing bonus. Apparently that’s only like the middle range of signing bonuses for their position.

Signing bonuses: yet another similarity between tech workers and elite athletes.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 10, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Blowjob Overtime posted:

+1 on the burned the gently caress out by work crew. Being properly staffed is always juuuust a couple weeks away, and has been since June.

I'll never forget the look on a new hire's face when I was talking about the workload being out of control and he said "oh it's just temporary right? They said they're gonna hire enough people to even it out.

And I said "well you're the help they promised me to get the workload under control and I'm the help they promised her to get the workload under control" as I gestured to the woman that trained me

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Your assumptions are correct. I'm trying to hold out through next year when I finish medic school and go in to better pastures (that laughing you hear is LeeMajors losing his poo poo and not knowing why). I do a lot of my homework and studying on off time at the job since we're completely remote and most of my job involves waiting for the outsourced devs to figure their poo poo out.

I equate medic life with being an amateur golfer—where every time you go out you’ll connect with a ball perfectly or drain a long putt, or smash a ball cleanly out of a trap, it’s that one shot that brings you back.

All the frustration can be pretty bad but you’ve just got let it go and chase that high of getting a good neuro-intact save, or see some amazing thing you’ve never seen before (still happens 12 years in), or stick giant loving needles in someone’s chest to decompress them, or catch subtle signs of a bad stroke, or successfully pick apart an extremely sick comorbidity factory ripping down the interstate at 80mph.

It’s valuable and good work and I love it except for every second I don’t.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m a little surprised they cancelled Cowboy Bebop unless it was really expensive. It got lots of middling reviews, but I thought a lot of people were watching it.

Were watching it is the key. Aside from the middling to negative reviews, apparently the number of people watching it fell pretty hard after the first week or so according to Netflix. Like others here, I enjoyed it and would have liked to see another season with the changes they made.

swickles posted:

Expanse season 6 is live, gogogogo

Oh gently caress I assumed that’d be tomorrow. Gonna go watch that ASAP.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Haven't finished watching it but I'm liking live Cowboys Bebop. It's like if you finished watching the original anime you got an arrange mode.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1469129611409866757

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fartknocker posted:

Were watching it is the key. Aside from the middling to negative reviews, apparently the number of people watching it fell pretty hard after the first week or so according to Netflix. Like others here, I enjoyed it and would have liked to see another season with the changes they made.

Oh gently caress I assumed that’d be tomorrow. Gonna go watch that ASAP.

Remember that Amazon follows GMT, so stuff drops midnight in that timezone, which is 7pm East Coast US. Almost all others like Netflix, Hulu, etc drop midnight West Coast US time. I think Disney stuff drops midnight EST or HBO can remember which.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

swickles posted:

Remember that Amazon follows GMT, so stuff drops midnight in that timezone, which is 7pm East Coast US. Almost all others like Netflix, Hulu, etc drop midnight West Coast US time. I think Disney stuff drops midnight EST or HBO can remember which.

Oh. I've been enjoying Thursday night WoT and wondering why it's been available.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

God I love a buzzer beater

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Quiet Feet posted:

Haven't finished watching it but I'm liking live Cowboys Bebop. It's like if you finished watching the original anime you got an arrange mode.
:same:

I like it as something different but close. Yeah the Dutch angles can get annoying but don't act like the anime didn't have slow pans across a face where the moth was hidden and other anime cheats.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big fan of tastefully thick Ron Harper Jr.

He ain't fat, but he enjoys a good meal and can ball, I appreciate that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CannonFodder posted:

:same:

I like it as something different but close. Yeah the Dutch angles can get annoying but don't act like the anime didn't have slow pans across a face where the moth was hidden and other anime cheats.

Yeah, it's got its little issues but I think it's still fun.

Vicious though, he sounds like he moments away from screaming about "those meddling kids!"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Didn’t know that about Amazon. Means I got my next few weeks set with Expanse episodes.

I know Disney+ is definitely midnight PST from all the Star Wars stuff in recent years, so I’d guess HBO goes with EST.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boy looper really falls apart at the end, doesn’t it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/tjhitchings/status/1469131002639491078?s=21

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Review cycles are depressing. We had extenuating circumstances causing us to not get raises last year, so even if I get a cost of living increase this year, it'll still be behind the curve.

And the person I reported to who didn't even make an effort to communicate with or actually manage me just left the company... so now my review will be done by the director. Fun stuff.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Expanse season 6 is gonna be awesome. God I cannot wait.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh man I got to spend 2 hours arguing with cops that no, this kid is actually not unsafe just because the family is homeless and if they take them in to protective custody with that as the only reason they're going home. It's one thing if they found this kid in a tent with used syringes, used condoms, multiple sex offenders, or parents actively using drugs but that wasn't the case and I had already connected them to a family shelter for on going housing services. Meanwhile getting them to take serious documented physical abuse allegations on a kid older than like 10 seriously is like pulling teeth.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lolololololololol.

Seriously, as much as I genuinely do love my job I have days where I wish I was good at computer touching.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 10, 2021

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

Boy looper really falls apart at the end, doesn’t it.

Really badly yea. Ignoring that awful Star Wars movie he did, Looper is Rian Johnson’s worst movie. Brick is his best.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Really badly yea. Ignoring that awful Star Wars movie he did, Looper is Rian Johnson’s worst movie. Brick is his best.

At this point Rian has more bad than good.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Has to be a movie they loved the first pitch and then eventually it became “well.. how do we… end this?”

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also Swick I meant to text you dammit

The legend of Jupiter becoming a celebrity hub grew larger today with the dudes who sang “Back for Good” from England we’re at Joe and Charlie’s guest bar tending (kinda?)

So weird. So fun. Had to Google the song

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

At this point Rian has more bad than good.

looper's not a bad movie they just don't stick the landing. literally all of his movies are pretty good to great except star wars.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You guys are insane. The Star Wars movie was deeply flawed but the only one that tried to break the cycle of fanboyism bullshit. Knives Out was amazing. Brick was great.

Looper was a good movie that would have been great if the last 20 minutes were tied together better.

gently caress, he even directs great music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIhrPGyu6U

Brothers Bloom is the only thing he's done that was objectively bad.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh yeah knives out is fantastic. Huge fan of that movie. Didn’t even realize they were same guy. Wow. I just remember him being the mega god behind the best episode of breaking bad, because it was listed in his credits for looper in Toronto lol.

That’s how you know it’s a good episode.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
He even did one of the better episodes of Terriers.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

You guys are insane. The Star Wars movie was deeply flawed but the only one that tried to break the cycle of fanboyism bullshit. Knives Out was amazing. Brick was great.

Looper was a good movie that would have been great if the last 20 minutes were tied together better.

i appreciate what he tried to do in star wars, i just dont think it was a good movie.

also brothers bloom is great you heathen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ive never seen star wars the last jedi and at this point i've made the conscious decision to never watch it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

I still have the belief that Rian Johnson painted the Star Wars story into a corner, freaking out Kathleen Kennedy & the other Disney execs. In the end he should've gotten a one-off and let Abrams direct all 3 of the sequels.

Unrelated…

Treated myself to some 23 year-old Pappy Van Winkle for my birthday today. Sometimes being old ain't that bad. :unsmith:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Goddamn the game awards were even more of a wet fart than usual.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Goddamn the game awards were even more of a wet fart than usual.

they peaked right at the start with the funniest developer logo reveal i've ever seen for Star Wars: Eclipse

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I was watching a restream and someone in chat managed to call that around 30 seconds into the trailer. Everyone collectively lost their poo poo at it being true.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

I was watching a restream and someone in chat managed to call that around 30 seconds into the trailer. Everyone collectively lost their poo poo at it being true.

i should have known as soon as i saw the Nemodians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Knives out loving sucked. Plot holes you could drive a loving truck through, about forty minutes too loving long

gently caress that movie and gently caress Rian Johnson.