Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we'd get an in-game flag customizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zeron posted:

It looks good. Not really exciting, but Paradox tech systems never really have been. I'll miss inventions a bit though

Agreed. It's the first thing I'm actually disappointed about. However, I do like having things spread to your country, despite your best efforts, so that seems a bit similiar.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Inventions were a neat idea but they were annoyingly random so I'm not too sad they're gone.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I really hope there's some good technology sharing mechanics given how much technology diffused during this period. Also, an Inventor DLC down the road would be awesome.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Inventions being gone is bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Inventions were dumb as hell.

Congratulations, Ecuador, one of your artists made a romanticist painting. The UK of 1849 will definitely consider you a peer now!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The tech tree looks nice but its a bit dull and civlike/gamey where other mechanics have trended more to simulating realism. To have tech then be such an ahistorical thing is disappointing

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Well, not every mechanic can have equal time devoted to it. It's on par/a bit better than any other tech system in their games at least, and it isn't a hugely critical core mechanic that will make the game fun/unfun. Hopefully they'll revamp it into something cooler in an expansion down the line, but I can't say it'd even be something I want them to prioritize.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A new never before seen sort of tech system would have been cool, but not every feature can be some genre-shattering new idea like they did with the military. Sometimes a tried and true 4X tech tree gets the job done.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Echoing love for Victoria 1 and 2's invention based system, but an easy-to-understand tech tree format makes sense given how many other pieces are different from traditional GSGs. I'd bet this system gets modified in later DLC though.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Stellaris has a quasi-invention system, where events would give you some progress on a tech you may not otherwise be able to get, especially Fallen Empire kit. I'd be happy with that, as it still leaves room for surprise without you being entirely at the mercy of Dread Arengee.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'd like to see your industries play a supplementary role in producing Innovation for relevant techs, since being engaged in a certain economic area would naturally motivate further improvements. For example, a strong mining industry would give a bit extra Innovation when researching mining techs. You could even tie in production methods, so that highly advanced buildings with lots of engineer workers are more innovative. That would make it feel more like your technological advance is a product of how you build your society.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I do like the note that the tech tree is dynamically generated from a text file for easy moddability. Nothing too exciting about the tech system if you've ever played any other strategy/4X game in existence, but I'm okay with the creative energies of the developers going into other aspects of the game. Maybe the tech system can be revisited at some point down the line with DLC.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fray posted:

I'd like to see your industries play a supplementary role in producing Innovation for relevant techs, since being engaged in a certain economic area would naturally motivate further improvements. For example, a strong mining industry would give a bit extra Innovation when researching mining techs. You could even tie in production methods, so that highly advanced buildings with lots of engineer workers are more innovative. That would make it feel more like your technological advance is a product of how you build your society.

You gain bonuses for certain types of tech if certain interest groups are happy so there is at least some of that in there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My one big complaint is that afaict the different trees don't seem to affect each other?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Fray posted:

This appears to be sort of in, but in an abstract way. If you have good industry then your industrialists are going to have a decent amount of power, which gives you a reduction on industry techs. But only if you keep them happy I guess.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Zeron posted:

This appears to be sort of in, but in an abstract way. If you have good industry then your industrialists are going to have a decent amount of power, which gives you a reduction on industry techs. But only if you keep them happy I guess.

Yeah, that’s good and I’d like to see them lean in to that sort of thing. And I really like how literacy and tech diffusion work, where an illiterate backward country can try to catch up but won’t be good at novel discoveries.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At first I was annoyed because just picking a tech and researching it seems like a step backwards

But then I got to the stuff about tech diffusion and I was like "oh, that's actually pretty perfect".

Especially if diffusion ends up being the primary way democratic societies backfill all the less immediately relevant techs, allowing them to use their focus on pushing the boundaries in strategically important areas of research.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's also moved for unrecognized countries at the start since you can focus on the stuff you need to pull yourself up and get recognized without also having to research every tech to catch back up.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Other people have mentioned tech sharing agreements, which would be cool. What would be really cool is if you could have an asymmetric tech sharing agreement where the high tech country shares the tech in exchange for diplomatic influence, for example. Like how foreign investors would come into undeveloped countries with capital and build influence with railway and factory.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Cantorsdust posted:

Other people have mentioned tech sharing agreements, which would be cool. What would be really cool is if you could have an asymmetric tech sharing agreement where the high tech country shares the tech in exchange for diplomatic influence, for example. Like how foreign investors would come into undeveloped countries with capital and build influence with railway and factory.

I never played Japan in Vic, but that'd seem like a great case study

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1470770562213367809?t=guJ3p5w-v5u1aIXIl4Zi3g&s=19

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That's an interesting resource in the second picture. What is that, like, refrigerant?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

That's an interesting resource in the second picture. What is that, like, refrigerant?

Electricity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wiz posted:

Electricity.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. That's exciting seeing electricity actually represented in the game!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The fact that the usual Thunder icon is not used convinces me that Thunder is a separate resource, probably used for producing Tesla Gun Ammunition.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ilitarist posted:

The fact that the usual Thunder icon is not used convinces me that Thunder is a separate resource, probably used for producing Tesla Gun Ammunition.

Can’t wait to bully the world into zeppelin based warfare through the power of supply side economics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Been playing a ton of Anno 1800 lately to get some Victorian era industrial management itch scratched.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Can’t wait to bully the world into zeppelin based warfare through the power of supply side economics.

If Vicky 3 actually takes place in the world of Crimson Skies I'm definitely saying this is GOTY.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

If Vicky 3 actually takes place in the world of Crimson Skies I'm definitely saying this is GOTY.

God you could make an absolutely sick conversion mod tho

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Trains with fridges. The Dream.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Agean90 posted:

God you could make an absolutely sick conversion mod tho

they promised easy modding to do this!

though my first mod is still going to be putting the original pop icons back in :colbert:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they promised easy modding to do this!

though my first mod is still going to be putting the original pop icons back in :colbert:

I'm afraid this is wrong, and the first change will be correcting "factory" to "factroy"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWcdaFTIZc

Michal Kundak-Cowall is the man.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

that's not even all my hats

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1471135458151342083

:sickos:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Poor Wales, shafted again.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Yesssss flagchat is eternal

Also love the hats Ofaloaf

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ofaloaf posted:

that's not even all my hats

I just realized your avatar actually kinda looks like you, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That UK flag is actually fairly historically accurate, it's a cross between the Commonwealth Flag and the Lord Protector's standard from the 17th century Commonwealth period.

Fellblade posted:

Poor Wales, shafted again.

This is also historically accurate for a hypothetical republican Victorian Britain.

If the dynamic flag system is robust enough, maybe it should replace one of those St. George crosses in the republican flag with a Welsh flag if the British ease up enough on erasing Welsh culture and beating children when they don't speak English.