Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is the power of math, people. 6 team members minus 1 is 5 team members left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cojawfee posted:

This is the power of math, people. 6 team members minus 1 is 5 team members left.
One less person to get caught in a random Class L trap and have to save, possibly getting everyone else killed.

They got Lieutenant Liability out of the way early!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
LOL Discovery is written by sociopaths. Incredible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

How many Star Trek episodes has some red shirt died in? Of that population, how many ended with some sort of somber reflection on the fact that a red shirt had died?

It's a lot smaller than 100%. And it happens in every Star Trek series.

Lower Decks even made a joke about it in the Ren Faire episode, with Rutherford being like "I even got 'blown up!' Haha!" It's like Starfleet people pretty much expect to die. What better way to train your cadets then to kill off one of 'em and power on with smiles?

I know there's a theory out there that Starfleet contains the most gung-ho, go for it, gonna-walk-into-radiation-that-will-kill-me-to-save-everyone-else people and it's a tiny, tiny subsection of everyone who is in the population of every planet. Kinda makes putting families on the D seem pretty psychotic.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 10, 2021

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
OK, better episode structure overall, It had some diplomacy and an away mission full of recruits gone wrong very TNG.

But god drat the writing is just painfully dumb. I can't believe there's anyone who looks at this script and goes "that's acceptable" It's like Dr who levels of bad at this point.

Burnham saying she will represent both the federation and Nivar because she understands both places (and she's "trained in logic" LMAO) but like the last time she was around any Vulcans was 1000 years ago before Nivar was even formed. It would be like electing Cnut the great as British PM. She still sucks as a character and she's a terrible actor also.

Tilly stuff:
OK random gamma ray burst, lazy but whatever. I can't figure out if this is written by children or just for them. Hey gang teamwork is good, have you tried talking to each other? Oh that solved all your racial prejudice problems immediately? cool.
The characters just plainly announce their feelings. I imagine the direction is like "ok in this scene your motivation is you need to read these line from the script and point sometimes"
Why was Adira even there? did it develop the character in any way? why just immediately volunteer to do all the dangerous parts of the mission? I don't remember the character being reckless/ overly brave before.
Oh and the CGI creature things were a visual mess.

Book stuff was ok comparatively and I enjoyed Greys mullet, bring back the space mullet.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

ashpanash posted:

How many Star Trek episodes has some red shirt died in? Of that population, how many ended with some sort of somber reflection on the fact that a red shirt had died?

Lower Decks even made a joke about it in the Ren Faire episode, with Rutherford being like "I even got 'blown up!' Haha!" It's like Starfleet people pretty much expect to die. What better way to train your cadets then to kill off one of 'em and power on with smiles?

I know there's a theory out there that Starfleet contains the most gung-ho, go for it, gonna-walk-into-radiation-that-will-kill-me-to-save-everyone-else people and it's a tiny, tiny subsection of everyone who is in the population of every planet. Kinda makes putting families on the D seem pretty psychotic.

Is this really true? There's a TNG episode where the A-plot is just, "An away-team member died, here's the crew dealing with the aftermath."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

There's also an episode where an accident happens in a training mission, nobody dies, but it's taken very seriously and it comes back up later in another episode when one of those cadets tries to redeem herself and ends up fuckin dying, Picard makes note of it but like still room to give him and the writers some flak for how that's resolved/not.

The issue really isn't that this rando character died in isolation, even if they want to be dripping in emotion stuff and somehow dodged that one, the issue is every episode so far has featured somebody needlessly dying, even when they're being Good for Disco, it's just Something that they keep tossing lives away.

Also their medical tech can't help some of these victims, ffs, they took picard's corpse, scraped his brain, dumped him into a computer with another dude, scraped him out of that, then plopped him in someone else's robot body XXX years ago! programmable matter cant program the shape of a body, replicators just cant sort out guts? gimme a break why are people dying, you can solve mortality ezpz.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Starfleet response to a training exercise leaving someone dead is giving the instructor a permanent position training new cadets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nichael posted:

The Starfleet response to a training exercise leaving someone dead is giving the instructor a permanent position training new cadets.

The pilot (who wasn’t a cadet) was killed by a freak anomaly and the instructor managed to get all of her cadets safely back to the ship after a crash landing on an inhospitable planet.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
I truly thought that Tilly's exchange with the female cadet -- "I'm a trained pilot, I can help!"/"Stay in your seat, that's an order!" -- would end up being relevant. Tilly would spend the episode kicking herself for not listening, for not properly utilizing the skills of those under her command, a decision that resulted in someone's death. She would learn that part of command is delegating. Nope. Completely forgotten.

I truly thought that part of the cadets' survival would hinge on their unique skills, and they'd learn ~a lesson about working together~. Nope. They trudge up a mountain, spend most of it bickering, they have one conversation about one character's grievances, then they shoot at the thing Tilly told them not to shoot at. The female cadet added nothing. The conflict between the Andorian and Tellarite was paper-thin. And if someone's legs are encased in ice, why is pulling forward on them the solution? Adira's knees would have snapped.

And I'm annoyed by how in episodes 1-2, Tilly was on a mission where someone (the station commander) was killed, and everyone felt the need to console her. "I'm so sorry for what you went through!" says Saru. Waaahh, someone I just met died. But in this episode, Tilly literally commanded a mission where her bad call got someone killed -- and everyone yukked it up. "Just another day at the office!" At least we didn't get the ridiculous PATIENT DECEASED tricorder display this time.

The show is getting better. But it's got a long drat way to go, and it's still very much "first draft writing." Really, the Federation President needed to resort to complex subterfuge and hoping Michael would get her veiled hints, just to propose a committee? Really, all the cadets had to do was hike up a hill with their tech turned off? These are the OMG AWESOME solutions the writers come up with? Feh.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

There's also an episode where an accident happens in a training mission, nobody dies, but it's taken very seriously and it comes back up later in another episode when one of those cadets tries to redeem herself and ends up fuckin dying, Picard makes note of it but like still room to give him and the writers some flak for how that's resolved/not.
I'm pretty sure I know which episodes you're talking about and I want you to know that someone actually does die in the training mission episode. It's a Wesley episode and Tom Paris's actor is the lead of his elite squadron, making for some hilarious Tom Paris conspiracy theories. They're practicing a banned flying formation for their graduation ceremony and one of the kids dies. The episode the cadet tries to redeem herself in is actually called Lower Decks and is a hugely impactful, tear-jerking episode by the end. Picard announces her death to the entire ship and it's weighty as gently caress. Go watch both episodes again, the first one is called "The First Duty" and has a great Picard monologue, and as a pair they're fantastic.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I laughed out loud when the Tellerite stopped everything to blame the Orion for slavery, and Adira was like, "Hey, don't you know that guy's dad was ABRAHAM LINCOLN?"
:lol:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 10, 2021

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I laughed out loud when the Tellerite stopped everything to blame the Orion for slavery, and Adira was like, "Hey, don't you know that guy's dad was ABRAHAM LINCOLN?"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Typical Pubbie posted:

Wait did this actually happen? Like discovery's writing has often been so dire I seriously can't even tell if it's a joke. Like I think it is... but ah man I don't know.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is this really true? There's a TNG episode where the A-plot is just, "An away-team member died, here's the crew dealing with the aftermath."

Even in TOS usually when a Red Shirt dies Kirk gives his sad but stoic, I didn't want this to happen face.

Or Sito Jaxa where the whole announcement is made to the crew.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s definitely a couple TOS episodes where a bunch of dudes die and nobody cares at all, but the opposite pops up in the weirdest places. Like Kirk gets all glum thinking about the man he lost at the end of the loving Halloween episode with the witches and the giant cat, seriously.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The ending of Voyager was very much of a "We need to go back in time and make sure that none of the main characters die." Janeway never thinks about trying to find a way to go back in time to stop them from entering the Delta Quadrant, which killed almost half of the Voyager crew, and she doesn't try to go back in time to fix the Caretaker Array without getting them stuck there, which would have saved the lives of all her crew who died in the Delta Quadrant.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Epicurius posted:

The ending of Voyager was very much of a "We need to go back in time and make sure that none of the main characters die." Janeway never thinks about trying to find a way to go back in time to stop them from entering the Delta Quadrant, which killed almost half of the Voyager crew, and she doesn't try to go back in time to fix the Caretaker Array without getting them stuck there, which would have saved the lives of all her crew who died in the Delta Quadrant.

Would have to solve the problem left in the Alpha Quadrant where Torres, Chakotay, and the rest of the Maqui would be imprisoned then.
"Oh no wait, Torres becomes my chief engineer!"
"No I don't STARFLEET!"
*Original Chief Engineer* "What the gently caress I die?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Epicurius posted:

Joe Carey was done dirty by Janeway.

Although weren't Voyager's initial casualties surprisingly light? Basically the First Officer, the CMO, the head nurse, the chief engineer and the pilot. Conveniently opening up vacancies that could be filled perfectly by newcomers...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

One of my favorite Trek episodes, Civil Defense, has a couple of people being vaporized and it's just like, "oh well!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

dr_rat posted:

Wait did this actually happen? Like discovery's writing has often been so dire I seriously can't even tell if it's a joke. Like I think it is... but ah man I don't know.

Yes, this happened. Then the next scene has the Tellerite literally patting the Orion on the back. They are friends now see!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I'm pretty sure I know which episodes you're talking about and I want you to know that someone actually does die in the training mission episode. It's a Wesley episode and Tom Paris's actor is the lead of his elite squadron, making for some hilarious Tom Paris conspiracy theories. They're practicing a banned flying formation for their graduation ceremony and one of the kids dies. The episode the cadet tries to redeem herself in is actually called Lower Decks and is a hugely impactful, tear-jerking episode by the end. Picard announces her death to the entire ship and it's weighty as gently caress. Go watch both episodes again, the first one is called "The First Duty" and has a great Picard monologue, and as a pair they're fantastic.

:lol:

I watched em a couple months ago and commented about them, upset at Picard and tbh I still 1% hold it against him, my brain is just full of holes so I forgot someone died not that they almost did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Epicurius posted:

Janeway was very specifically going back in time to save her pet Borg. Everything else is ancillary to that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ashpanash posted:

One of my favorite Trek episodes, Civil Defense, has a couple of people being vaporized and it's just like, "oh well!"

This is one of my favorite Trek episodes as well. The phrase 'Attention Bajorian Workers!' will always be in the back of my mind.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

I watched em a couple months ago and commented about them, upset at Picard and tbh I still 1% hold it against him, my brain is just full of holes so I forgot someone died not that they almost did.

Hey now, she could still be alive. In a Cardassian prison camp right before they ended up on the wrong side of Galaxy War 2 and got stomped by the entire Alpha Quadrant :whitewater:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Hey now, she could still be alive. In a Cardassian prison camp right before they ended up on the wrong side of Galaxy War 2 and got stomped by the entire Alpha Quadrant :whitewater:

I will forgive Picard when she shows up with an eyepatch and bionic arm and a ship clearly cobbled together from federation shuttle debris and cardassian vessels, and they have an adventure together or maybe a season long arc. If Picard can get that worked up over a planet of assholes nobody cares about and that he only cared about off-screen so the show could happen poorly, then he can care about the ensign he was a dick too and sent on a suicide run.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I looked it up and apparently Mary Wiseman has said that she is in another episode this season

"Oh no, Michael's not going to reach the big button in time because the redacted are shooting at her! She's defenseless in that space suit!"

In swoops a new vessel. Who could it be?

"Answering incoming hail from a Captain...
Killy?"

"Just kidding you guys. It's me Tilly. Um... Acting Captain Tilly."

The camera spins around 30 times in all orientations showing her crew of... the cadets? Wait, no. In one frame you can see they have become ensigns.

Insert 15 minute scene where she says hi and bye to everyone.

The ship fires a single phaser blast, completely disabling the attacking ship.

Micheal saves the universe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is exactly what will happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Butternubs posted:

It would be like electing Cnut the great as British PM

To be fair this might be an improvement.

dr_rat posted:

You know the answer in your heart.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ashpanash posted:

I love the recent edit made for that episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZa84PAZQeg

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

It's crazy that they did a multi-episode buildup to giving Grey a real physical body, but then didn't have him interact with any of the other characters but Adira.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Actual Satan posted:

It's crazy that they did a multi-episode buildup to giving Grey a real physical body, but then didn't have him interact with any of the other characters but Adira.

Gray will be the big sacrifice at the half way or finale of the season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I thought they were going to grow some conflict out of Gray changing how he looks after going corporeal, as though being inside Adira's mind forced him to be viewed from the perspective Adira wanted and not the one Gray wanted. Could have written some solid Trek morals out of that.

But yeah, I didn't even think about the fact Gray doesn't interact with anyone but Adira. I'm, for some reason, gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say this was a Tilly/Burnham episode and they couldn't think of any way to make Gray's C-Plot interact with any of it, so next episode is when Gray chills with the crew. Like I said before, we're 2 episodes without the bridge even being shown, so the entourage episode has to be coming next. (I'm sure I'll eat these words.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I kind of agree with the Greatest Gen guys that Grey may end up leaving the show this season to go back to Trill to train as a Guardian or something like that

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

You know the answer in your heart.

Oh. :(

Burning_Monk posted:

Yes, this happened. Then the next scene has the Tellerite literally patting the Orion on the back. They are friends now see!

Oh.... :( :( :(

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

DaveKap posted:

But yeah, I didn't even think about the fact Gray doesn't interact with anyone but Adira. I'm, for some reason, gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say this was a Tilly/Burnham episode and they couldn't think of any way to make Gray's C-Plot interact with any of it, so next episode is when Gray chills with the crew. Like I said before, we're 2 episodes without the bridge even being shown, so the entourage episode has to be coming next. (I'm sure I'll eat these words.)

I agree. Adira was a main point-of-view character and it would seem really odd to show an Adira-focused episode without some view of their partner, whose stories are very closely entwined. That said, DS9 wouldn't have cared. And as you say...I'm sure I'll eat these words.

Nonetheless, it was the right choice.

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah, while I'll defend a lot of the episode's choices because I think it was a much more competently constructed episode of Star Trek than we have grown to expect out of Disco, it sure as hell wasn't amazing, and it had moments like these that served to remind you that this is still, indeed, Discovery, and thus we don't have any reason to expect it to really get that much better. Credit where credit is due (and no further) is all I'm saying.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 11, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah it was definitely an episode of star trek. Parts were still a little awkward like you'd expect from a first season episode, but it was sufficiently treky. Miles ahead of Picard.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Can we talk about how, according to the latest episode, membership in the Federation isn't voluntary?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Can we talk about how, according to the latest episode, membership in the Federation isn't voluntary?

what

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Typical Pubbie posted:

They aren't forcing people to join the federation, they are just saying that you can't just have an exit clause for whenever things get too tough for you. The president was right when she said that allowing people to quit whenever they wanted would lead to a weak federation that would fall apart whenever things got difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The federation is like one of those services where you can join on line with a simple form, but to leave you have to actually have to call up and spend like three hours on the phone.

Now I'm not saying the federations can be jerks but...