Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The casting director needs to commit sudoku because I thought John Cho was an awful choice to carry this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

lol

Hughmoris posted:

The casting director needs to commit sudoku because I thought John Cho was an awful choice to carry this.

I think the main cast was the least of this show's problems. Also sudoku is much more entertaining LA CB good suggestion.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 10, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really like John Cho as an actor. I think he did what he could with the role. I also think he was the wrong choice for the role.

I think Spike being younger is important to the character. I probably wouldn't cast anyone much older than early 30s for the role.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I guess we'll never find out if that gilf gets to gently caress Jet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bleh, what a shame. Would have liked to see how they took the criticism and put together a second season.

Got to be a bigger bummer for the Ed actor who got all of one scene that was universally panned and now no opportunity to redeem themselves from it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The World Inferno posted:

Bleh, what a shame. Would have liked to see how they took the criticism and put together a second season.

Got to be a bigger bummer for the Ed actor who got all of one scene that was universally panned and now no opportunity to redeem themselves from it.

It's also all they're going to be known for, if not for the rest of their career then certainly for a very long period of time.

I get that some of y'all love posting that scene and laughing at it and whatever, but my heart goes out for the kid, you know?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mordiceius posted:

I think Spike being younger is important to the character. I probably wouldn't cast anyone much older than early 30s for the role.

I also think that. His whole backstory is being a young kid who gets swept up in a crime syndicate, who falls in love with the wrong woman and tries to run away with her, but instead learns a harsh lesson about life. That could happen to a guy pushing 50, but it makes way more sense for a guy in his 20’s to be that naive and then suddenly cynical.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Sudoku can be a fun game that also is good mental exercise for older people… oh wait. Are you saying the casting director suffers from dementia and should work on stimulating his degenerating mental faculties? That’s a sick burn. Like the other goons have said: casting was the least of the missteps. Younger Spike would have been easier on the actor though.

I didn’t even hate it but that vid is hilarious. Locke and Key and Foundation get multiple seasons but this gets the axe this quick? Geez. Would have liked to see if a second season was better and drat YOU FOR DENYING LIVE ACTION SPACE COWBOY CORGI! His running like a bunny was great comedy and when Ein projected the bad guys hologram villain speech I was dying laughing. I can forgive some things but cancelling a dog prominent show is a step too far Netflix. This might look like gimmick posting but it’s not… I’m just a guy that thinks dogs are really cool. RIP Downward Dog and now live action Cowboy Bebop. Hopefully Cosmo shows up in GoTG 3 in a more prominent role.

On another note: at least it got me to watch the original show. I’d forgotten how much I love it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh right, good ol' Speed Racer! I mean, I don't think that looked terrible or anything, and certainly the tech to make stuff like that look good will only get better over time. I guess I was more thinking of a full on "100% anime for this part, 100% live action for this other part" effect, and not really having them appear side by side much (if at all) to avoid that not meshing well. Speed Racer looks more like live action combined with CGI or CG animation in the same shot, at least some of the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Netflix swings more axes than Lizzy Borden, and for incredibly arbitrary reasons at times. Basically only Stranger Things and The Witcher are safe from their bloodlust.

I'm still pissed about the cancellation I Am Not Okay with This. Just a perfect first season and dead immediately.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Watching that glorious Edward mashup there does a lot to convince me that rarely, if ever, has one very short scene/character introduction harmed a show's renewal prospects more. I think I have a better opinion of that scene than most, and even I was like "wtf is going on here, why are they using the worst camera shots, why is this actor making these choices?!"

I think that having that be the last bit of the season, and the general public response being quite negative to that aspect of the show in particular, may have done a fair bit of tilting of the scales towards cancellation. Netflix might have been thinking "okay the show's numbers aren't amazing, it's dropping off quick so it doesn't have staying power, the general critical response has been bad, and we'd be rolling the dice on if this new character that just got introduced works at all when the entire internet thinks that they're terrible? Nope, gonna have to pass on that."

Really having that right at the end does a lot to magnify it's potential negative impact. The end a season, especially on a new show, is when you introduce the rad new thing or tease something amazing to draw people back in for the next one, and while I firmly believe that Edward could absolutely be that thing, especially for fans of the original show, I'm hard pressed to think about how they could have done that worse.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Everything about that Ed scene is just awful. Like, I feel really bad for the actor because they got done dirty with pretty much every aspect of it and it's going to follow them for years to come. Like, In the Anime Ed's antics and behaviour were excusable because they were a literal unsupervised child with severe internet poisoning.

The Live Action Ed was both A: Not a Child and B: Still acting like one. The outfit looked like a mid-tier costume you'd see at a convention. Add to it the embarrasing writing and Cinematography that was pervasive in the rest of the series and it becomes the meme of the week for the foreseeable future.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Someone had to write that scene. Someone had to direct it. Someone had to edit it. They watched their creation and thought "nailed it." It is less about the LA ED actor (who, if we are honest, is given an impossible task unless Ed were re-imagined) and more it being an example of how and why this show failed so entirely.

Mordiceius posted:

I really like John Cho as an actor. I think he did what he could with the role. I also think he was the wrong choice for the role.

I agree with this, but I feel they could have made it work if the rest of the show wasn't such a boring, confused mess. So was he the best choice? Maybe he wasn't, but he did not sink the ship, nor did the actors that portrayed Fae and Jet.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 10, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah drat, if they had found a solid 13-14 year old, or hell even better if they're 11-12 so they can shoot the tease at the end of the season and then have them still look real young throughout the series, that would've made things work much better.

Rarely can you pinpoint a single short moment like this that could've saved a show, but if the buzz around this show was "eh it's not great, some parts of it were good though, I think the central trio is doing a good job, and holy poo poo did you see how the kid they got to play Ed is completely nailing it!? I want to see a new season to see more of Ed!" I think it would've at least had a chance, even if the numbers were the same as they are now. Particularly since Ed seems like by far the hardest thing to translate into live action, so if they had completely nailed that I think it would have made quite an impact on fans of the show, and they would have been pretty vocal in their praise.

On balance I feel like this show was right on the edge of making it, and with like a 10% bump in overall quality it would've pulled in enough viewers and gotten good enough reviews to keep it around. Some of that opinion is probably just my love of the source material bleeding through though.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Yeah drat, if they had found a solid 13-14 year old, or hell even better if they're 11-12 so they can shoot the tease at the end of the season and then have them still look real young throughout the series, that would've made things work much better.

Rarely can you pinpoint a single short moment like this that could've saved a show, but if the buzz around this show was "eh it's not great, some parts of it were good though, I think the central trio is doing a good job, and holy poo poo did you see how the kid they got to play Ed is completely nailing it!? I want to see a new season to see more of Ed!" I think it would've at least had a chance, even if the numbers were the same as they are now. Particularly since Ed seems like by far the hardest thing to translate into live action, so if they had completely nailed that I think it would have made quite an impact on fans of the show, and they would have been pretty vocal in their praise.

On balance I feel like this show was right on the edge of making it, and with like a 10% bump in overall quality it would've pulled in enough viewers and gotten good enough reviews to keep it around. Some of that opinion is probably just my love of the source material bleeding through though.

For what little it is worth, I don't think anime Ed can be done in live action: the character needs to be reworked, in my opinion. Which is why the production team should have watched that scene, realized how badly they hosed up, and cut it, perhaps returning to the character in season 2.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm glad there's a level of garbage that not even TVIV media consumers will keep watching

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

How? You'd have to MASSIVELY rewrite and retcon Fey, Julia, and Vicious. Like yeah, I feel horrible for Ed's actor because they got thrown a bag of poo poo and unlike Spike or Jet spin it into something close to gold.

tokin opposition posted:

I'm glad there's a level of garbage that not even TVIV media consumers will keep watching

There are a lot of defenders here.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Netflix swings more axes than Lizzy Borden, and for incredibly arbitrary reasons at times. Basically only Stranger Things and The Witcher are safe from their bloodlust.

The reasons for this were obvious: it dropped down to place 56 after a week (when placing the cusor over it for 30 seconds counts as watching it), no one liked it, and worse it stopped being relevant outside of being a punchline. Like always the nerds were right

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yudo posted:

For what little it is worth, I don't think anime Ed can be done in live action: the character needs to be reworked, in my opinion. Which is why the production team should have watched that scene, realized how badly they hosed up, and cut it, perhaps returning to the character in season 2.

There's certainly things done in anime or other forms of animation that fully can't translate into live action, but I don't think any human character shown in anime or animation is impossible to adapt. You're gonna have a WAY harder time with the Eds of anime/animation than the Jet's, but it's possible to put the right team together to make it happen. I've seen too many examples of insanely good acting performances to think that an anime character can't be done in live action.

To me the difference is you can get a good Jet on screen with an average level of talent across the various departments of a production, and of course from the actor themselves, but getting a good Ed on screen is gonna take some way above average talent. The most important part of that equation is ultimately going to be the actor, but drat the show didn't set up Ed for success there and it would've taken literally one of the top 5 best young actors on the planet to pull that off. And even then they'd need to be a next-level talent who could see the footage and walk them through why going low-angle fish eye lens is a terrible idea, and tell the director to F off when they give them really bad advice.

You can avoid a lot of hassle and heartache by just doing a different take on a character and not trying to match whatever crazy thing they had going on in the anime or animation. It seems pretty clear to me, for example, that they could've set up Ed to be at 30% of her "Ed-ness" and it would've been a much better way to go. And it's not like Ed was always doing off-the-wall crazy things every minute in the show either, so it's not like it would've not matched the character at all if they went that route.

All that being said, I wholeheartedly agree that the ending scene should've been cut so they can take a fresh stab at the character later, ideally when they've already pocketed those sweet renewal bucks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NowonSA posted:

I think they would have the obvious problem if they pick a younger actor they're at the whims of the aging process. I can't imagine the bench of young NB actors is all that deep to begin with.

Yudo posted:

The problem they had then is that the cries of 'where's Ed?' would be even louder than if they'd not shown Ed at all.

I'm not sure how you'd rework Ed without losing their inherent Ed-ness.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wonder if they'll give any details on where they were thinking of taking season 2, like with the Julia changes and would they have Spike die at the end?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Im not shocked at all this was canceled. There were alot of things that were just wrong.

For one I think the music from the anime was off cuz it was just shoved in random spots and the orignal songs wernt any good honestly. The mixing was really bad too cuz sometimes you could barley hear the music to it being just too loud for no drat reason.

Everyone was praising the Udai Taxim episode in here but I thought I was watching a stage play. Someone in this thread said it best. The actors just thought that they were going to look cool in post but it just came off really cheesy and corny. You can also blame that on the camera work too.

The writing was awful from the bits with Julia and Vcious to the just down right dreadful poo poo from Faye.

And last the Ed poo poo was loving cringe worthy. The reason Ed works in the anime is well, because it's animation. They are a animated character. You can't translate any of of their movements to real life.

I'd say I feel sorry for the actor but you really gotta be brain dead to watch Ed move like that in the anime and then try to reenact it. Theres nobody in the world that would wana watch the actor do all that poo poo for another ten episodes. They really should have passed on the part and fired their agent. Especially if all they got you doing is that one bit at the end. I'd love to know if they had them act anymore then that post credit scene.

What a loving bust and nobody should be surprised.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 10, 2021

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Julia's face was so distracting looks like she's wearing a Halloween mask.

Other than that I thought the casting was fine, John Cho was fun to watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

the nerds were right

Had to happen eventually, I guess. :rolleyes:

This is gonna be another high water mark for The Shittiest Nerds You Know, like how they won't stop talking about Ghostbusters 2016 or the Han Solo movie. Most normal people are gonna move on and be like "Oh, that Cowboy show? Yeah it sucked and I didn't watch it. Wait, why are you still yelling about it? It's 2026."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 10, 2021

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It's real bad, not even really interested in finishing it, TBH. Cancelling it now was a kindness. From what I did watch, there was a lot they did right, but that's just the bar. That's the minimum necessary. And there was so, so much they did badly. Oh well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The only way that this news isn't a net positive is that a Non Binary actor who, I am to presume, had no say in how their performance was to be used or edited, has this as the black spot on their CV which is going to absolutely make their life more difficult.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

The only way that this news isn't a net positive is that a Non Binary actor who, I am to presume, had no say in how their performance was to be used or edited, has this as the black spot on their CV which is going to absolutely make their life more difficult.

Speaking of, has Ed’s actor been in anything notable prior to this or was this one of their first roles?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has Ed’s actor been in anything notable prior to this or was this one of their first roles?

Nope, first thing they've done. They don't even have an imdb profile picture.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

Had to happen eventually, I guess. :rolleyes:

This is gonna be another high water mark for The Shittiest Nerds You Know, like how they won't stop talking about Ghostbusters 2016 or the Han Solo movie. Most normal people are gonna move on and be like "Oh, that Cowboy show? Yeah it sucked and I didn't watch it. Wait, why are you still yelling about it? It's 2026."

Ghostbusters 2016 was real bad but Solo was pretty enjoyable with major flaws, so that ones a good comparison.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

drat, that sucks then. Hopefully they’ll be able to recover from this though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 10, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: ah, misread that. Yeah, no their IMDB page is bare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While the guy playing Jet does a pretty spot on Beau Billingslea impersonation, I think the actor playing Ed got screwed for trying to impersonate Melissa Fahn. That's not really a voice that can be replicated, for starters. It felt like they were forcing the lines and yelling themselves hoarse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the real cancellation blues

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I got more joy out of this than the entire live-action series

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

NutritiousSnack posted:

How? You'd have to MASSIVELY rewrite and retcon Fey, Julia, and Vicious. Like yeah, I feel horrible for Ed's actor because they got thrown a bag of poo poo and unlike Spike or Jet spin it into something close to gold.

Some of Fey's lines were dumb, but her overall background stuff seemed solid enough. Fine there. Julia and Vicious are such cartoons that doing a 180 on them wouldn't be that jarring either, I imagine. Not to mention they already did massively rewrite Julia and Vicious's story.

I definitely lean on the more forgiving interpretation of this show, went in with limited expectations. When it comes to sci-fi, there's just so much crap out there. Before watching this, gave Foundation a shake (haven't finished it yet), and a couple of new Dr.Who episodes, and geez, this was such a delight compared to both of those. Not prestige TV, but fun enough to finish. Being an adaption sets you up for comparison to the original so it inherently had that mountain to climb, but it's a bummer that resulted in such a visceral backlash to it.

It's just such a benign thing, it's weird people act as if it threatened original show somehow and was therefore necessary to defeat. To use the Ghostbusters example someone mentioned, sucks where they took that series, but your baby is still there, for you to view at any time, as it always will be. This is a hill I'll continue to die on.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Some of Fey's lines were dumb, but her overall background stuff seemed solid enough. Fine there. Julia and Vicious are such cartoons that doing a 180 on them wouldn't be that jarring either, I imagine. Not to mention they already did massively rewrite Julia and Vicious's story.

I definitely lean on the more forgiving interpretation of this show, went in with limited expectations. When it comes to sci-fi, there's just so much crap out there. Before watching this, gave Foundation a shake (haven't finished it yet), and a couple of new Dr.Who episodes, and geez, this was such a delight compared to both of those. Not prestige TV, but fun enough to finish. Being an adaption sets you up for comparison to the original so it inherently had that mountain to climb, but it's a bummer that resulted in such a visceral backlash to it.

It's just such a benign thing, it's weird people act as if it threatened original show somehow and was therefore necessary to defeat. To use the Ghostbusters example someone mentioned, sucks where they took that series, but your baby is still there, for you to view at any time, as it always will be. This is a hill I'll continue to die on.

Any passing resemblance to the original series is the only thing this show had going for it, lets not pretend it wasn't dogshit-tier writing and production throughout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVBz0Tv03U

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dante posted:

Any passing resemblance to the original series is the only thing this show had going for it, lets not pretend it wasn't dogshit-tier writing and production throughout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVBz0Tv03U

No poo poo? The world, bulk of the characters and plot outlines are from the original series so yes, the thing it had going for it was those things.

Pretending all the dialogue was like that is a bit of a hand wave eh? I do agree with the general annoyance at the Whedonization of dialogue – but also don't think a clip of a sleazy lady saying something sleazy is that much of a bombshell in an hourlong episode that was otherwise fine.

"Welcome to the ouch motherfuckers" on the otherhand...

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Honestly the bigger problem with the ed scene is that only half of the purpose of the scene is to introduce Ed, if that much.

In the show you get a whole episode of slow buildup leading to ed joining the crew, with short segments of her clowning on the cops, talking to the space satellite etc.

Instead you get ed, pumped up to 11 in zaniness, in a segment that also serves to show how far spike has fallen and introduce Vincent as the big bad of next season. Is ed going to be a central cast member, or are they gonna give the bounty info then disappear?

It's clearly meant as a fanservice teaser. "Next season we'll have more of your favorite stuff from the original show" but it's that very schizo style to refer so heavily to the original but only in very shallow ways that probably hamstrung this show the most

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Julia's on screen time in the anime was all of 5 minutes, the vast vast majority of which was the last two episodes. In the anime it was never about who she was, but rather what she represented and what her absence meant to Spike.

Part of the flaw with the live action show going to an hour is that it gave them an excuse to try to explain something that didn't need to be explained and it made the show worse for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the next live-action anime Netflix was going to do is One Piece, which sounds like a nightmarish cavalcade of body horror if their Bebop is any indication

Part of me hopes they haven't learned their lesson because I really want to see that train wreck