Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

freebooter posted:

Surely what South Africa has is a high rate of people with HIV/AIDS, which is the exact opposite?

Not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I think what StratGoatCom is referring to are APOBEC3 enzymes, which have antiviral action and one of the more effective genetic variants of them is common in Africa. And also East Asia, it was invoked as a possible part of the explanation why Japan smashed its Delta wave so thoroughly.

There's a lot of research done on APOBEC3 enzymes and HIV because they have pretty strong action against it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bedford did some maths on what the rate of growth looks like in the UK versus SA.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1469157772012908549

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Judakel posted:

Denmark ICUs getting slammed. They should've been in lockdown a while ago.

Uh, not really? Fresh from coronasmitte.dk:

Hospitalised - at the moment

Today Change in 24 hours
Hospitalised 460 (-1)
Of which in intensive care units 67 (+1)
Of which in intensive care units and on ventilators 37 (-1)

This is nowhere near as bad as it has been, not even close. The government seems to be prudently responding to the situation. Do you have different stats from the official ones?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

freebooter posted:

Yes. This is a dramatic change to where I was mentally six months ago, corresponding to Australia's COVID-zero dam being breached, and it wasn't an easy adjustment to make. But in some senses I think it might have been easier for me than for Americans or Europeans who were more or less abandoned by their governments from the get-go: I know that we tried, we really, really did, but in the end it just wasn't possible to keep it out forever. I'm still worried about my immunocompromised partner and my elderly relatives, but I know that they're all vaccinated, and again, that we live in a country that's doing everything it takes to try to minimise and control spread so that hospitals never get overloaded. Which, again, I think probably makes a lot of difference in accepting the inevitable.

I've noticed that most (all?) of the really depressed posting is from Americans, while a lot of the more measured responses are from non-US people. I know my mental outlook would be a lot worse if I wasn't in a place with 90%+ of adults vaccinated. I'm sorry guys, I can't imagine how infuriating it must be

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1468940214215270415

This is reassuring.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

They have the same filtration abilities, but the lack a fluid-resistant outer layer. Because of that, they’re not FDA-approved class II medical devices, suitable for use in operating room. That’s what separates them from medical N95s.

If they’re on the shelves at Home Depot, you can buy them without guilt. They are made and marketed to protect your body from everyday hazards like drywall dust.

Yeah it's this

Fluid resistant n95 are almost impossible to buy as a lay person not buying them in bulk (cases of 100+) CDC should drop that phrase

3M Aura are designed almost exclusively for everyday Joe, and holy poo poo they're super duper comfortable and cool and not sweaty at all

And yeah you can buy them at home depot for like $2 each and they should give you a week worth of shopping per respirator, maybe more if you only go grocery shopping, they are basically the perfect mask

Oh did I mention they fold flat? Hot drat

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

freebooter posted:

Surely what South Africa has is a high rate of people with HIV/AIDS, which is the exact opposite?

Yes. This is a dramatic change to where I was mentally six months ago, corresponding to Australia's COVID-zero dam being breached, and it wasn't an easy adjustment to make. But in some senses I think it might have been easier for me than for Americans or Europeans who were more or less abandoned by their governments from the get-go: I know that we tried, we really, really did, but in the end it just wasn't possible to keep it out forever. I'm still worried about my immunocompromised partner and my elderly relatives, but I know that they're all vaccinated, and again, that we live in a country that's doing everything it takes to try to minimise and control spread so that hospitals never get overloaded. Which, again, I think probably makes a lot of difference in accepting the inevitable.
There is definitely a change in my mentality, from early in the pandemic where I developed anxiety attacks about it, until now which is much more reflective. Having caught and had Covid as well as two vaccines now probably helps.

I think the real problem that no-one is discussing here is that it's not so much an impending doom for the Western world of people who are on their third booster or boosting their 5 years old, but for the undeveloped world who haven't had their 1st shot a much more transmissable virus is going to decimate them like Mexico/Brazil.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Weasling Weasel posted:

I think the real problem that no-one is discussing here is that it's not so much an impending doom for the Western world of people who are on their third booster or boosting their 5 years old, but for the undeveloped world who haven't had their 1st shot a much more transmissable virus is going to decimate them like Mexico/Brazil.

Yup. And India. Wealthier nations at least have access to therapeutics, good masks, and good vaccines. It sounds like COVAX, China etc are starting to get some vaccine doses to developing nations but they're still going to bear the overwhelming brunt of Omicron.

I'll also mention my local area (Native American reservation) since I'm familiar with it. Our vaccination rate is under 40% despite ready availability of vaccine. It's not as simple as "order respirators off Amazon." We're entering winter and many families here don't have $20 to spare to buy good masks. The typical household here contains 2-4 nuclear families under one roof. It's standard practice to have everyone huddle in one room during cold times to conserve heat (and propane/electricty $$). People don't have the few dollars to spare for good masks. Even if they did, another obstacle is most people here don't get package/mail delivery to their home address. I don't actually know why that's the case, but most people on the reservation have PO boxes. They literally can't order masks from Amazon or wherever because all they have is a PO box.

How do you encourage vaccination? How do you get higher-quality masks distributed? That's just the start.

We're actually just entering our big Delta wave, cases are spiking. We're very isolated so waves tend to take a long time to hit here. I dunno that I'm a fan of the "only trust your respirator" line because while ultimately true, it's often selfish in the way it's discussed on these forums. Like the poster the other night calling severely mentally ill people fools that are beyond hope. No actually, it can't just be about our own personal safety, we need to find productive ways to reach out to communities that aren't as well-protected as most people (most Americans in particular) on this forum are.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yup. And India. Wealthier nations at least have access to therapeutics, good masks, and good vaccines. It sounds like COVAX, China etc are starting to get some vaccine doses to developing nations but they're still going to bear the overwhelming brunt of Omicron.

I'll also mention my local area (Native American reservation) since I'm familiar with it. most people here don't get package/mail delivery to their home address. I don't actually know why that's the case, but most people on the reservation have PO boxes. They literally can't order masks from Amazon or wherever because all they have is a PO box.

You might consider talking with leadership about a package acceptance facility, they can be run very cheaply, just a waterproof shed, especially if you're in an area with high unemployment. I live in a giant building and the Amazon truck arrives every day at 11am and drops off a thousand or more packages, then our package guy accepts then and sorts them. Spread across 1500 people during regular business hours it's not a significant chunk of money, especially if it gives the community access to higher quality goods and health care goods

Edit: Amazon even has a shared garage door clicker now for the Amazon guy to use, wouldn't even need to be manned. Literally just a garage with 120v

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Hadlock posted:

You might consider talking with leadership about a package acceptance facility, they can be run very cheaply, just a waterproof shed, especially if you're in an area with high unemployment. I live in a giant building and the Amazon truck arrives every day at 11am and drops off a thousand or more packages, then our package guy accepts then and sorts them. Spread across 1500 people during regular business hours it's not a significant chunk of money, especially if it gives the community access to higher quality goods and health care goods

Edit: Amazon even has a shared garage door clicker now for the Amazon guy to use, wouldn't even need to be manned. Literally just a garage with 120v

yeah unemployment is north of 80%

I know a couple of tribal council members I'll look into it and maybe mention it to them, thanks.

I actually have zero idea what the reason for it is. Maybe because most of the housing is government BIA housing and for some reason delivery isn't allowed to home address? It's also very remote and rural. I'll have to ask.

All I know is most people here don't have a street address, it's all PO box. a quick google brings this up as one example: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2019/10/04/for-some-native-americans-no-home-address-might-mean-no-voting

Most people here literally don't have a home address to ship to, and it's also a problem for voter registration and other stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

I know a couple of tribal council members I'll look into it and maybe mention it to them, thanks.

I actually have zero idea what the reason for it is. Maybe because most of the housing is government BIA housing and for some reason delivery isn't allowed to home address? It's also very remote and rural. I'll have to ask.

All I know is most people here don't have a street address, it's all PO box. a quick google brings this up as one example: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2019/10/04/for-some-native-americans-no-home-address-might-mean-no-voting

Most people here literally don't have a home address to ship to, and it's also a problem for voter registration and other stuff.

Wild. I've been to the edge of a couple of reservations over the years but most of what I've seen via the limited national media coverage

I... Might.... Actually be able to leverage some resources on my end regarding this plus system or a delivery depot, at the bare minimum under the guise of reliably shipping you guys masks, I'll shoot you a pm

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Fritz the Horse posted:

How many people are there? I'm surprised Amazon hasn't figured something out, they're rushing into markets a lot farther from a formal grid than anywhere in the lower 48, but I guess it's a small, poor population compared to rural Senegal or wherever. I wonder if your leadership could talk to them directly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I mean, I imagine the issue in an extremely poor community is less that they don't have a shed to get deliveries to and more they aren't in a situation or set up to do enough online shopping to ever have warranted building a dedicated package delivery shed.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fritz the Horse posted:

(..)I dunno that I'm a fan of the "only trust your respirator" line because while ultimately true, it's often selfish in the way it's discussed on these forums. Like the poster the other night calling severely mentally ill people fools that are beyond hope. No actually, it can't just be about our own personal safety, we need to find productive ways to reach out to communities that aren't as well-protected as most people (most Americans in particular) on this forum are.

This is an odd take, considering "only trust your respirator" merely means you can't trust anything you - yourself - can't control. It comes from entirely too many goons experiencing exposure to cases, coming from people that swore up and down they were vaccinated/acting safely, when neither turned out to be true. Like the mother faking a vaccination card, events where "everyone is vaccinated! (except your uncle and his family which I didn't tell you about)", friends (safely) going maskless barhopping etc.

The poster talking about severely mentally ill people was an rear end in a top hat, but that has nothing to do with only trusting your respirator, which explicitly does not imply trust in anyone else's PPE. It has similarly little to do with your last line; why is wearing proper PPE and arguing others should do the same only about "our own personal safety"?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rust Martialis posted:

Uh, not really? Fresh from coronasmitte.dk:

Hospitalised - at the moment

Today Change in 24 hours
Hospitalised 460 (-1)
Of which in intensive care units 67 (+1)
Of which in intensive care units and on ventilators 37 (-1)

This is nowhere near as bad as it has been, not even close. The government seems to be prudently responding to the situation. Do you have different stats from the official ones?

I suspect he is talking about there only being 10 available ICU beds available for the entire country right now.

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...x_tr_hl=da#main posted:

On Monday, there were only ten vacant intensive care units in the country's hospitals
December 6 - on Monday - there were only a total of ten vacant beds in the country's intensive care units.

A report from the Regions' Clinical Quality Development Program shows, writes Politiken.

From 1 February this year to 6 December, the number of places in the intensive care units has fallen from 406 to 310.

The intensive care units handles both on the increasing number of corona patients, but also seriously ill patients who fail other things. Today, 67 of the 310 places are occupied by corona patients.
(..)
That single +1 you posted, constitutes 10% of available capacity.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 10, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Not really — it wasn't tested with 'real' Omicron, but with a pseudovirus in a small group of sera with wildly different results. Every study with live virus has shown much worse results.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

Not really — it wasn't tested with 'real' Omicron, but with a pseudovirus in a small group of sera with wildly different results. Every study with live virus has shown much worse results.

Every study? drat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Petey posted:

That sounds weird. Are you saying that their pseudovirus behaves radically different than the real strain and the laboratory at Biontech didn't catch that, making that study worthless? I sorta doubt that.
If, like the study calims 80% of the docking stations of the spike protein of Omikron are still the same, it sounds reasonable that the corresponding T-cells would have an effect in high doses.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first study on third dose transmissions.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

any news on moderna’s efficacy against omicron?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

abelwingnut posted:

any news on moderna’s efficacy against omicron?
It'll be surprising if it's much different from Pfizer based on what we've seen. It's a good assumption to go with until we see otherwise.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every study? drat.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That sounds weird. Are you saying that their pseudovirus behaves radically different than the real strain and the laboratory at Biontech didn't catch that, making that study worthless? I sorta doubt that.
If, like the study calims 80% of the docking stations of the spike protein of Omikron are still the same, it sounds reasonable that the corresponding T-cells would have an effect in high doses.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first study on third dose transmissions.

https://twitter.com/JanineKimpel/status/1468700628922904591

https://twitter.com/CiesekSandra/status/1468465347519041539

and Sigal lab paper: https://secureservercdn.net/50.62.198.70/1mx.c5c.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MEDRXIV-2021-267417v1-Sigal.7z

all live-virus assays, all show the same thing directionally (two shot doses of any vaccine doesn't neutralize Omicron; booster neutralizes ~25% as against 95% against delta; vaccination + infection (in either direction) does seem to mostly neutralize, though not as effective as vaccination against prior variants)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I had JnJ and I'm getting my moderna booster today. Where does this leave me in terms of protection? Allegedly three shots is good, but what about two?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nvm.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 10, 2021

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
My roommate told me that the N95s I'd ordered were way too expensive at nearly $4 a mask. I've cancelled the order and replaced it with these N95s, which he found after an hour of searching and comparing options. These appear to be up to standard and much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HY48BK6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Morrow posted:

I had JnJ and I'm getting my moderna booster today. Where does this leave me in terms of protection? Allegedly three shots is good, but what about two?

Found this: https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson...cine-in-the-u-s. They talk a bit about booster efficacy w/ J&J on there.

That's from September though

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Victar posted:

My roommate told me that the N95s I'd ordered were way too expensive at nearly $4 a mask. I've cancelled the order and replaced it with these N95s, which he found after an hour of searching and comparing options. These appear to be up to standard and much cheaper.

Never buy on Amazon.

https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/3m-9210-aura-n95-particulate-respirator-niosh-approved/

Arguably superior mask, non-scammy vendor, and cheaper unit price.

The 1870 is a medical mask that is rated for fluid exposure. Don't bother with that unless you're in a healthcare environment.

Please see the CSPAM COVID thread OPs for more masking details.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 10, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Victar posted:

There's nothing wrong with your choice of mask there (and your roommate is correct, $4 is excessive) but Amazon has issues with counterfeit products across the board and there's no guarantee even products with official first party listings will be legitimate because of the way they sort and store products. Odds are you get a legitimate product, but I wouldn't know how to confirm that and I'm wary about risking my health just to save some effort/money, personally

I recommend this site for ordering N95s:
https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/3m-9210-aura-n95-particulate-respirator-niosh-approved/

You can also just go to your local Home Depot and find them.

efb

If time is a factor, beware that my order took about 12 days to arrive, they're understandably swamped with orders right now.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 10, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

all live-virus assays, all show the same thing directionally (two shot doses of any vaccine doesn't neutralize Omicron; booster neutralizes ~25% as against 95% against delta; vaccination + infection (in either direction) does seem to mostly neutralize, though not as effective as vaccination against prior variants)

None of those bars are "does not neutralize" all of the red bars are there, just shorter than the other bars. The antibodies literally do neutralize it. Just some percent less on a graph.

It's not even like you can just compare like that, where % neutralized = % immune.

Measles is the gold standard example of "get it once and you are immune forever" and antibodies for that drop like 95% in the first year.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

None of those bars are "does not neutralize" all of the red bars are there, just shorter than the other bars. The antibodies literally do neutralize it. Just some percent less on a graph.

It's not even like you can just compare like that, where % neutralized = % immune.

Measles is the gold standard example of "get it once and you are immune forever" and antibodies for that drop like 95% in the first year.

Covid is not the gold standard of “get it once and you are amazing immune forever”

I do not understand your point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

You may as well finish that moderna sequence, right? That decision's all upside

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

no lube so what posted:

Covid is not the gold standard of “get it once and you are amazing immune forever”

yeah, it's almost like you can't look at a graph of antibody neutralization and be able to directly say much about real world immunity.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1469347665934753795

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

yeah, it's almost like you can't look at a graph of antibody neutralization and be able to directly say much about real world immunity.

Man o man, good luck to you. Lmbo, lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Got a haircut yesterday afternoon. I was happy to hear my hairdresser say that she had just vaccinated her kids.

However, they and she contracted covid last year. She noted that they got over it "just fine" but she couldn't smell for awhile. I imparted my concern about getting covid at all is the uncertainty of long covid effects. I gave her the example of how for some people, when their smell returns things smell like garbage.

She stopped as if in shock and asked me if I was serious. I confirmed that while I hadn't experienced it first hand,, it was a common anecdote that I'd heard. She then proceeded to reveal that to this day some things smell like cow poo poo to her and nobody has believed her.

She was immensely gratified to hear my relayed story to confirm that she wasn't crazy.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, I have a couple pals that got COVID roughly this time last year and one of them still can't eat any kind of lettuce because it all tastes like copper/something metallic. poo poo is horrifying to me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

no lube so what posted:

I do not understand your point.

The point is that antibody numbers don't 1:1 correlate to immunity levels.

Without a source with more details, this is kinda useless.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

no lube so what posted:

Man o man, good luck to you. Lmbo, lol

We are now 17 days past south africa's daily case count going up by 30x, and at the same time have leisurely drifted down from 30 deaths a day to 20 deaths a day. Like we are 2 and a half+ weeks into this and south africa is reporting that 6% of their ICU beds are full.

You gotta let go of one or the other of the doomer fantasys. Either omicron itself is less dangerous OR this is people getting reinfections and breakthrough infections but doing much better because they have effective antibodies. You can't have both.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The point is that antibody numbers don't 1:1 correlate to immunity levels.

Without a source with more details, this is kinda useless.
well UKHSA data is out, here's a summary thread:
https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1469351833416122369

2x AZ + Pf booster is what the vulnerable groups got in the uk given they were prioritised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well UKHSA data is out, here's a summary thread:
https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1469351833416122369

2x AZ + Pf booster is what the vulnerable groups got in the uk given they were prioritised

It feels like the much bigger news story is AZ apparently making you up to 100% MORE likely to get covid between week 15 and 20.