Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I get the feeling that Travis is going to be playing disposable characters until Robbie leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mylan posted:

I get the feeling that Travis is going to be playing disposable characters until Robbie leaves.

Is this his punishment for trying to kill Santa?

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Oh no, it's another Dugger--TRAVIS.

And now I'm going to have to watch the Christmas one-shot later, at a "reasonable""hour".

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
poo poo, I had to go out and missed whatever it was happened with Travis, guess I'll wait for the next bunch of YouTube clips

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1469199172339322885

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1469202571319406597

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

not enough ear hair :colbert:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just saw this suggestion for the group name:

The Jingle Bells

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Bells eclectic sweet trouble,

The BEST

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Dropped off last night at the break, looking forward to catching up tonight.

In the meantime, from an Auburn media prof: https://mobile.twitter.com/friede/status/1469353452463706113

Critical Role & Parasociality. In case you'd like to nerd out on the show on a different level. I think there are specific points to be made that the prof didn't choose to, but that's also clearly not the point of the piece.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Just finished the second half of the episode.

drat I love Travis.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Fuckin' Chutney. Travis is going to spend the entire campaign playing a series of expendable old men and I love him for it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I think the whole Travis/Chetney thing hits different for casual or new fans than everyone else. This campaign is my first watching the show and when the big reveal happened my reaction was "...that's it?" I had to google just to see why people were flipping out over the character.

The downside to how they're popping Travis in and out is that now whenever he gets a real character (assuming it's not this troll pick) it will be inevitably underwhelming. Travis is fun but as a new watcher I'm way more invested in Robbie and Dorian than I am in a potential Travis menagerie.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Travis with a comedic character is bound to be great. A strength rogue though, fairly unusual.
When he says his age is 100+ I assume that's in human years? Gnomes live between 350 to 500. Scanlan started at 69 and still looked young.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

YorexTheMad posted:

I think the whole Travis/Chetney thing hits different for casual or new fans than everyone else. This campaign is my first watching the show and when the big reveal happened my reaction was "...that's it?" I had to google just to see why people were flipping out over the character.

The downside to how they're popping Travis in and out is that now whenever he gets a real character (assuming it's not this troll pick) it will be inevitably underwhelming. Travis is fun but as a new watcher I'm way more invested in Robbie and Dorian than I am in a potential Travis menagerie.

I dunno if I’m reading too much into this, but they trademarked Travis’s Chetney character name back a few weeks ago along with the other C3 characters, but they didn’t do that with Bertrand Bell. Which says to me this isn’t a troll character, this may be Travis’s long-term character choice for C3.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Travis can play whatever he wants I'm just happy to have him back at the table for however long it is.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pleads posted:

Travis can play whatever he wants I'm just happy to have him back at the table for however long it is.

I agree, and I think Chetney could be a ton of fun.

Quixote
Feb 22, 2005
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1469444620979376130

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

When Chetney dies he'll do his best to take Orym with him, so they can return as Macaroni Samsonite and Buddy

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TotalHell posted:

I dunno if I’m reading too much into this, but they trademarked Travis’s Chetney character name back a few weeks ago along with the other C3 characters, but they didn’t do that with Bertrand Bell. Which says to me this isn’t a troll character, this may be Travis’s long-term character choice for C3.

Travis making Chetney his permanent character is the troll.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I was several weeks behind but I had some vacation time and I have caught up! Travis coming in as Chetney is great and I agree that it feels more like his actual character, as opposed to Bell who was intended to die. That doesn't mean Chetney can't die of course, but I don't think Travis wants this one to.

I also agree that it looks like from the intro, Robbie is not staying on permanently, which I'm kind of disappointed by. I suspect his exit will be after they figure out what's up with the melting assassins and Dorian will choose to be the one to report back to Zephyra.

And also also, this was from awhile back but someone mentioned that they didn't like Laudna sassing her patron, to which I have to say that I actually really liked that but only because of her specific circumstances? Campaign 1 spoilers for her patron's probable identity: Delilah is not some ancient unknowable entity, powerful beyond mortal ken. She only died, what, 40 years ago? I forget the exact timeline but it's somewhere around there. She's apparently strong enough to grant power to others but this isn't the same as some Fiend pact warlock backtalking Mephistopheles or what have you. If you watched C1, you saw Delilah die multiple times. She's very fallible. And in addition to that, Laudna started as a level 2 Warlock/level 1 Sorc but on her recent level up, she went +Sorc, not Warlock. So clearly she's not that invested in keeping Delilah happy anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

And also also, this was from awhile back but someone mentioned that they didn't like Laudna sassing her patron, to which I have to say that I actually really liked that but only because of her specific circumstances?

I don't mind people sassing their patrons; C2 already showed that Matt will de-power Warlocks if he thinks it is warranted/in-character, and the players have consistently shown that they will happily take mechanical penalties if it means staying in-character.

Plus as you pointed out, Laudna clearly doesn't have a lot of respect for her patron and has outright stated that one of her goals is to get power that is not tied to her, so it makes sense that she would be more flippant.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

C1: D&D is Serious Business
C2: Let's add some fun personalities and cool backstories to the mix
C3: Pure chaos

Feels like they're really letting loose with what they can do in this one.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Travis making Chetney his permanent character is the troll.

Pretty sure this is right.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Senjuro posted:

Travis with a comedic character is bound to be great. A strength rogue though, fairly unusual.
When he says his age is 100+ I assume that's in human years? Gnomes live between 350 to 500. Scanlan started at 69 and still looked young.

Isn't there a kind of archetype for Rogues that benefits from strength though? Like a bruiser or something? That'd be a fun character, a rogue who's more of a leg-breaker kind of person.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I for one like that we have a rogue-ish barbarian and a barbarian-ish rogue. I'm hoping that they come out with the paperwork for Ashton's subclass, because every time they do new stuff in battle I'm just sitting in my chair going "Decay build? PSYCHIC DAMAGE??". Though it was hilarious to see a few people wondering why it gave them Pass Without a Trace. I mean, in all fairness the only reason I didn't wonder that was because I looked up what earth genasi get.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Isn't there a kind of archetype for Rogues that benefits from strength though? Like a bruiser or something? That'd be a fun character, a rogue who's more of a leg-breaker kind of person.

Not really in published material. Of course this could be another Matt homebrew. Even without that though it still works, even if it's not the most optimized - which has never been a real concern with this group. As long as you use a finesse weapon, even with STR as the to-hit stat, you get sneak attacks. Shield +Rapier would work well. Or a grappler build since you can take Rogue expertise in Athletics.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Hulk Smash! posted:

Not really in published material. Of course this could be another Matt homebrew. Even without that though it still works, even if it's not the most optimized - which has never been a real concern with this group. As long as you use a finesse weapon, even with STR as the to-hit stat, you get sneak attacks. Shield +Rapier would work well. Or a grappler build since you can take Rogue expertise in Athletics.

I suppose a chisel is akin to a dagger?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Imasalmon posted:

I suppose a chisel is akin to a dagger?

I'm sure that's how Matt'd rule it. It makes sense.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hulk Smash! posted:

Ok, it does seem like a bit of an oversight for the class, that's a pretty common archetype in fiction. Maybe it was pathfinder that had it, but I can definitely see it working great with even a few minor modifications to the original rogue class.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Pretty sure 4e had a specific strength based rogue build. It's been a drat long time since I looked at 4e material though.

At any rate, the only major downside to Chetney being str based vs dex based is that his general rogue skill checks (stealth, sleight of hand, lockpicking) will be slightly lower. But even that's not that big of a deal. The entire party has pretty good dex aside from FCG (who comes in the lowest at 10). Adding extra strength to the party was more valuable since the average str across the board was abysmal other than Ashton and Dorian. And Dorian presumably isn't sticking around permanently. 15 int also makes Chetney the smartest member of the party, which I'm sure Travis was not expecting.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

15 int also makes Chetney the smartest member of the party, which I'm sure Travis was not expecting.
Eagerly awaiting the "I have an intelligence of 15, I know what I'm doing" moment.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Campaign 3: Old Men and Furniture (and Masonry)

That wall thing was loving them up.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Agaragon posted:

I for one like that we have a rogue-ish barbarian and a barbarian-ish rogue. I'm hoping that they come out with the paperwork for Ashton's subclass, because every time they do new stuff in battle I'm just sitting in my chair going "Decay build? PSYCHIC DAMAGE??". Though it was hilarious to see a few people wondering why it gave them Pass Without a Trace. I mean, in all fairness the only reason I didn't wonder that was because I looked up what earth genasi get.

I saw a video suggesting that Ashton might be a Gravity Barbarian, which ties into how he can manipulate movement around him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

I saw a video suggesting that Ashton might be a Gravity Barbarian, which ties into how he can manipulate movement around him.

i think this is part of it but the throughline is dunamis generally rather than gravity specifically and it's matt further building out his own thing (since that canonically involves gravity and speed and chance and such)

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Nemo2342 posted:

Wait, we're really selling toothbrushes now?

Didn't they rip on this exact company on Talks one time?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

For everyone who was worried Brian left on bad terms with the cast, he's currently spitting mad on Twitter about the current weird fan Discourse, namely the bad faith arguments that the cast is racist because they were wearing pith helmets and therefore doing a colonialism and also Robbie wasn't in the group shots.

Not doing himself any favors on that clean break from the CR fan drama, but he clearly still loves his friends.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

For everyone who was worried Brian left on bad terms with the cast, he's currently spitting mad on Twitter about the current weird fan Discourse, namely the bad faith arguments that the cast is racist because they were wearing pith helmets and therefore doing a colonialism and also Robbie wasn't in the group shots.

Not doing himself any favors on that clean break from the CR fan drama, but he clearly still loves his friends.

Oh good, I was wondering what dumb poo poo the fandom would freak out about next. Have to say I wasn’t expecting it to be the opening.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh good, I was wondering what dumb poo poo the fandom would freak out about next. Have to say I wasn’t expecting it to be the opening.

Okay I've got to ask a question. Sorry for the life story leading up to the question.

I haven't lived in the west for 15 years now and don't really consume much entertainment media (CR is the only "show" I really follow). SA is the only social media that I have and I hardly post, so I'm not really online that much (I haven't used facebook in over a decade, never used twitter).

I see this incredibly dumb drama with CR get posted quite a bit. Is it just that CR has a particularly overdramatic fanbase? Or is this just how things are now? People have to have opinions and flip out over the dumbest stuff on social media? I just don't understand the mentality. It seems so tiring. Perhaps it's because I've been away for so long, or maybe I'm just getting old. It is honestly baffling to me.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's not actually CritRole specific. The problem is that way back in ye olden days of fandoms, 99% of fandom content existed in fandom-exclusive spaces. Y'know, specific forums for a given property (like Mugglenet for Harry Potter) or Livejournal or Reddit or, later on, Tumblr. In those cases, you weren't going to see the drama unless you were deeply involved in the fandom already. It just... wasn't something you were likely to come across by accident unless it was one of those absolutely bonkers stories that spread rapidly because of how insane they were (like the Snapewives thing, and if you don't know what that is, god bless you, stay pure).

These days? A huge chunk of any given fanbase is on Twitter. Y'know, where everyone is. Where the cast can see it and where Twitter unhelpfully shoves poo poo onto your feed from people you don't follow because it thinks you might be interested in it based on the topic. Which means poo poo spreads wildly out of control when in the old days, it would have just been one dumb post on Livejournal that the wider community probably would have never even noticed.

Also of course, drama grows exponentially with the size of a fanbase. CR's pretty big nowadays.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

It's not actually CritRole specific.
It's not, I agree but I'd say that CR does have an overdramatic fanbase. CR didn't start like most media franchise. It wasn't created or bought by a huge conglomerate. It started as a bunch of friends basically streaming their home game and, coupled with the cast's well-meaning but flame-fanning, "we love you all" messaging, fans bought into the hype and feel they "own" the show and cast.

Outside this thread it's often toxic, exclusionary, and very reactionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
CR has a large, vocal, and extremely online fanbase. Some infinitesimal number of them live for drama and thus spend their time trawling the minute details of the show social media looking for even smaller numbers of people getting upset about whatever the latest outrage is.

If you don't believe me, then from the horse's mouth:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianWFoster/status/1470325979222396929
(BWF, with his 180k followers almost exclusively from critrole, is certainly aware of what he's doing when he elevates the 17like idiot takes and inserts himself in to the discussion. Particularly when his contribution is that they're a bad person and fraud for having the bad take at all).

You can engage with the show via twitch/youtube and even the reddit (and usually-but-not-always twitter) without noticing any of this poo poo exists. But mocking idiots online and raising niche nonsense to a broader audience is in SA's DNA, so we get that here. Fortunately, it's also a place that also generally recognizes how meaningless and ephemeral the dumbassery is and engages accordingly.

CuwiKhons posted:

(like the Snapewives thing, and if you don't know what that is, god bless you, stay pure).
:allears: You're not just going to... leave that hanging there, are you?