Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThingOne posted:

Hell, one of my cats is pushing ten and he can still do standing jumps to the top of the fridge.

Does anyone know of any good heavy-duty cat toys? My girl Donna loves mouse-type toys but isn't satisfied until she's left their eviscerated corpses at the foot of my chair and I'm getting tired of buying new ones.

This one seems quite tough and usb rechargeable means you don't have to keep buying batteries.
Note: Canadian Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08399RKBF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any recommendations for "budget" level automatic cleaning litter boxes? I pay for pet expenses for the cat and dog I had with my ex as "child support" and my ex has a bad back so moving the litter box, scooping every day, and then moving it back to where the dog can't get tootsie rolls out of it is taking a toll. A friend of mine has one that looks like the Epcot Center that has a slide-out tray but it's like $400-500 and I can't afford it, but I don't know what the price range to expect for a decent one is.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/omega-paw-premium-roll-n-clean-litter-box-for-cats

I have the litter robot and definitely recommend it, but this one seemed interesting for a travel or secondary one. I'm not sure if picking up the entire thing to rotate it is easier on your back than scooping litter, though.

I say get the litter robot and call it a medical necessity!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

xzzy posted:

Have you tried the CoolCyberCats stuff? Both the buffalo and deer mouse packs. The tails disappear instantly but my cats haven't been able to destroy the main body yet.

They aren't extremely aggressive though.

The buffalo pack looks perfect, thanks! She'll love ripping out the hair and I think she'll enjoy the challenge of trying to get through the leather.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThingOne posted:

The buffalo pack looks perfect, thanks! She'll love ripping out the hair and I think she'll enjoy the challenge of trying to get through the leather.

They're relatively sturdy and are all animal based materials so even if kitty swallows some of it, at least it's not a bunch of plastic. The toy is made by stitching a clump of bison fur to a strip of leather.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Here's my buddy James:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGpXUfzWbY

Today I took off sick from about lunchtime, with a headache that wouldn't go away. Crashed on the couch, and James came and spooned with me, and we dozed off together. He was still there when I woke up an hour or two later, still with my arm draped over him.

Grade A cat. Just an Excellent Boy.

edit: oh, I forgot to mention. I'm catching up on the thread, and there was one discussion about why to clip cat claws? I clip James's because otherwise he goes "clack clack clack" on the floor if they get too long. Also because he manages to cut himself scratching at his ears.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

xzzy posted:

Have you tried the CoolCyberCats stuff? Both the buffalo and deer mouse packs. The tails disappear instantly but my cats haven't been able to destroy the main body yet.

They aren't extremely aggressive though.

Oooo, these look so cool and I like the idea of just getting replacement toys instead of getting a new wand and feeling super wasteful. I don't suppose anyone knows of a Euro reseller? Super over global shipping and paying import tax on everything. :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

edit: oh, I forgot to mention. I'm catching up on the thread, and there was one discussion about why to clip cat claws? I clip James's because otherwise he goes "clack clack clack" on the floor if they get too long. Also because he manages to cut himself scratching at his ears.

I only trim because one of our kitties likes to knead on my arm and when she gets sharp she'll happily go at it until I'm bleeding.

I'll also do a trim before a vet visit, just in case things get out of hand.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

xzzy posted:

I only trim because one of our kitties likes to knead on my arm and when she gets sharp she'll happily go at it until I'm bleeding.

I'll also do a trim before a vet visit, just in case things get out of hand.

Oh yeah, that too. I forgot about that. The little needles go right through denim.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm trying to find a way to deter local cat(s) from coming onto our property and spraying. There are several neighborhood cats that like to roam. I'm not sure if they are actual pets or strays, but either way, at least one of them has sprayed our garbage can. I've cleaned it a few times, but it still keeps happening.
One night we forgot to close the side door in the garage we let the dogs in/out of, and my motorcycle got sprayed.
We're definitely looking for a non-lethal/dangerous method of trying to keep them away from the house. I've seen recommendations from various sites like citrus rinds and coffee grounds in gardens. This spot is behind a fence along the side of the house, though, and I'd rather not toss food scraps along the side of the house.
Any recommendations?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have no idea if it actually works, but you can buy bottles of mountain lion or tiger or whatever piss to spray around. It's supposed to make them think "oh poo poo big cat around here danger danger".

Alternatively, pet the kittys :3:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wait, cats don't like coffee grounds? I let Quill sniff the coffee beans every morning and she seems to enjoy the routine of it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

drunken officeparty posted:

I have no idea if it actually works, but you can buy bottles of mountain lion or tiger or whatever piss to spray around. It's supposed to make them think "oh poo poo big cat around here danger danger".

Alternatively, pet the kittys :3:

I'd love to pet the kittys. Unfortunately they come in the night while I'm sleeping.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Here's some foolproof methods to keep cats away from your yard that totally don't work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSGd-5gRks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5EiqzfiCS8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I remembered a motion-activated water spray DIY video from years ago from a guy trying to keep strays out of his yard and went to find it, turns out there's 100s of those kinds of videos now :shrug:

Maybe this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLG1jbPrp2Q

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

Wait, cats don't like coffee grounds? I let Quill sniff the coffee beans every morning and she seems to enjoy the routine of it.

Rexie will drink our coffee if we aren't vigilant so I'm not sold on coffee grounds as a deterrent either.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tons of cats like things that cats don't like, it's all just part of the joy of cats.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Tons of cats like things that cats don't like, it's all just part of the joy of cats.

Yeah they're all tiny little individuals.

For keeping cats away, I've read that some people put out plastic water bottles to deter cats, but I've also read that it doesn't work.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Katya loves the crinkly sounds of things like space blankets, the stuff you put on windows to keep in/out heat, chip bags, and loves rolling around in all those items or shredding them up. He's a weird boy.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Katya loves the crinkly sounds of things like space blankets, the stuff you put on windows to keep in/out heat, chip bags, and loves rolling around in all those items or shredding them up. He's a weird boy.

We have a couple of those cheap thin metal-frame kid tents. Princess enjoys licking them. She also likes to chew on straps - like...high chair straps, that particular braided-feeling nylon kind. Elder Boots uses pillows like he thinks he's human. Cats are weird :shrug:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fleur had her big girl surgery this morning. The vet called to let me know that she did very well and that everyone has been cuddling her and that she looks super cute all wrapped up in a blanket.

I'm always anxious about my kitties going into surgery, but I was especially anxious about Fleur.

she is just the best

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Funny that you consider that weird as that's all completely normal behavior for my three assholes

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Fleur had her big girl surgery this morning. The vet called to let me know that she did very well and that everyone has been cuddling her and that she looks super cute all wrapped up in a blanket.

I'm always anxious about my kitties going into surgery, but I was especially anxious about Fleur.

she is just the best

Cute! I JUST made the appointment to have the sutures removed next week. Can't wait to just Have a Cat and not be stressing about the next thing coming up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So it's been awhile since I posted in the thread about my progress on cat introductions!

The good news, both Socks (the older 15 year old female) and Sage (the now 1 and a bit year old boy cat) are basically fine with each other right now. In fact, they often sleep in side by side beds in the dark part of the house at night no issues at all.

Socks has always been tiny (she's like.. 8 lbs at her heaviest) and she's been diagnosed with cancer since I last updated it. She's been getting smaller, and it's really sad but we're trying to keep her as comfy as possible. Sage has grown to be gigantic at like 13/14 lbs. And to be clear he's not overweight, he's just a huge cat!

Unfortunately, as a young boy cat I guess, Sage desperately wants to rough house with Socks. Socks wants absolutely nothing to do with this. Usually this just results in Sage sort of, slowly chasing Socks since she can't run as fast as he can, where he sorta swats at her back legs a little and jumps kinda on her but not really? Occasionally, however, he decides he really wants to wrestle and just like.. straight up tackles her, wraps his paws around her and starts nipping. She makes absolutely horrible yowl hissing noises, then Sage lets her go and chases her till she goes on top of something where the game ends. He also sometimes just sorta.. flops in front of her (I presume in hopes of her wrestling him)

I think this is pretty normal cat behavior for Sage. He's young and still wants to play basically constantly, and while we had multiple cats when I was a kid at my parent's place I don't really remember how the wrestling looked other than an occasional cat tangle, then one would back off, then it would start again. Obviously Socks hates it so I try and break up the chase a little bit, and Socks generally spends most of her days snuggling in bed upstairs where Sage doesn't really go so they sorta have their own spaces too. But does that sound pretty average for cat playing? He didn't have a kitten friend growing up so I don't know if he just doesn't know how to play nice.

Post holidays, my Wife and I decided that we are going to look for a third cat. Socks is.. well.. probably not going to be well for too much longer at least, and Sage really seems like he needs a cat around his own age that he can rough house with, which will hopefully give Socks a little break. Does that seem reasonable?

Cat tax:

Socks is the grey one, Sage is the Tabby

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Unfortunately, as a young boy cat I guess, Sage desperately wants to rough house with Socks. Socks wants absolutely nothing to do with this. Usually this just results in Sage sort of, slowly chasing Socks since she can't run as fast as he can, where he sorta swats at her back legs a little and jumps kinda on her but not really? Occasionally, however, he decides he really wants to wrestle and just like.. straight up tackles her, wraps his paws around her and starts nipping. She makes absolutely horrible yowl hissing noises, then Sage lets her go and chases her till she goes on top of something where the game ends. He also sometimes just sorta.. flops in front of her (I presume in hopes of her wrestling him)

I think this is pretty normal cat behavior for Sage. He's young and still wants to play basically constantly, and while we had multiple cats when I was a kid at my parent's place I don't really remember how the wrestling looked other than an occasional cat tangle, then one would back off, then it would start again. Obviously Socks hates it so I try and break up the chase a little bit, and Socks generally spends most of her days snuggling in bed upstairs where Sage doesn't really go so they sorta have their own spaces too. But does that sound pretty average for cat playing? He didn't have a kitten friend growing up so I don't know if he just doesn't know how to play nice.

Post holidays, my Wife and I decided that we are going to look for a third cat. Socks is.. well.. probably not going to be well for too much longer at least, and Sage really seems like he needs a cat around his own age that he can rough house with, which will hopefully give Socks a little break. Does that seem reasonable?
Sorry about Socks, both of your cats are lovely! The play pattern sounds pretty familiar to me.

Our two cats are much closer in age, Merlin is two and a bit, and Kali is about 10 months. Merlin does the flop in front of her to start a wrestling match pretty often. When she wants to provoke him, it's usually by batting or biting him rather than flopping, but I've noticed that she also flops occasionally now. They'll end up hugging one another with their front paws and rolling around, and then somebody breaks it off and the other one runs after them. Sometimes there's a yowl in there, most often from Merlin even if he's the one who started it. The one who flopped will also kick the other with their hind legs.

It did take a month or so for them to find this equilibrium. Merlin was a bit rough at first and Kali even ended up with an eye scratch that needed care. Since she's grown and gained confidence she antagonizes him more. I'd say that now that each of them stirs poo poo up about as often.

Before we got Kali, Merlin also spent some time with my partner's parents. They have an older cat, about 14-15, and he tried SO HARD to play with her but she just wouldn't have it. Any time he tried, she'd just leave the room and hide somewhere. We realized he would really like a friend and decided to adopt Kali last summer.

I bet Sage would love to have a cat of similar or slightly younger age around.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, getting a new cat would be a good idea. Make sure it's one that is accepting of new adult cats, and that Sage is OK with them - adult introductions with cats are always less assured than kitten introductions. You might even consider an older kitten/young adult cat, so it's big enough to play with Sage, but still has the accepting kitten personality.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

gloom posted:

Sorry about Socks, both of your cats are lovely! The play pattern sounds pretty familiar to me.

Our two cats are much closer in age, Merlin is two and a bit, and Kali is about 10 months. Merlin does the flop in front of her to start a wrestling match pretty often. When she wants to provoke him, it's usually by batting or biting him rather than flopping, but I've noticed that she also flops occasionally now. They'll end up hugging one another with their front paws and rolling around, and then somebody breaks it off and the other one runs after them. Sometimes there's a yowl in there, most often from Merlin even if he's the one who started it. The one who flopped will also kick the other with their hind legs.

It did take a month or so for them to find this equilibrium. Merlin was a bit rough at first and Kali even ended up with an eye scratch that needed care. Since she's grown and gained confidence she antagonizes him more. I'd say that now that each of them stirs poo poo up about as often.

Before we got Kali, Merlin also spent some time with my partner's parents. They have an older cat, about 14-15, and he tried SO HARD to play with her but she just wouldn't have it. Any time he tried, she'd just leave the room and hide somewhere. We realized he would really like a friend and decided to adopt Kali last summer.

I bet Sage would love to have a cat of similar or slightly younger age around.

Can confirm, our cats are around the same age (1+ and 3+) and this pretty much describes their playtime. When Kimchi was an annoying kitten invader Katya used to slap the poo poo out of her if she didn't want to be bothered, now they wrassle with the occasional slapping and hissing. They also love to chase each other around the house, sometimes with hilarious roadrunner antics like one jumping over the other and reversing the chase without missing a beat.

Honestly I think Katya would have been fine as a single cat but we love to see them play together and fight for the best seat in the house (my partner's lap), they're such siblings now. :3:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The magnificent tabby beast in the below photos went into sudden kidney failure and had to be put down at the end of last month and he was only 4 years old. He was so sweet he gave us all diabetes. gently caress this reality.

His tuxedo companion still lives and is not handling the loss very well. He is five years old, neutered, quite large at about 17 pounds and I'd like to adopt another cat to keep him company. I realize this is a bit of a gamble because sometimes cats just don't get along but was wondering if ya'll had some advice to ensure things go well. Does gender matter? I assume a similar age and size will be ideal so play time isn't one-sided.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 11, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

So sorry about your cat! He was a beauty.

We generally say a kitten is ideal, because kittens will be very open to new cats, and cats are generally more willing to accept kittens than strange adults. That said, if you get a cat from a rescue, they'll often be able to show you ones that get along especially well with other cats. Some adult cats are pretty open.

For feral cats, it's more common for females to live in groups than males, but I don't know how much this matters for neutered housecats.

For introducing them, there are a lot of tips in this thread and all over the internet. The basic idea is to keep them separated by a door for a while, and slowly introduce each other's scent in low-stress situations. And make sure the original cat has some place to hide from the new one!

That said, cats are like people and sometimes two of them just don't get along. Imagine if you got assigned some random roommate, you wouldn't necessarily make friends with them. If that happens, they might avoid each other forever. Though "becoming friends eventually" is also a very common outcome.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Very sorry, that orange lad was tremendous :(

When we got a friend for our 2-year-old male cat, we decided to adopt one that was female and younger but not too young. What we did for introductions was keep her in a separate room with box / bed / toys and food and water, and borrow a baby gate to block the door to the rest of the house. They could smell and see each other, and eventually they started just hanging out on opposite sides. For a couple of days we only let them mingle under supervision, because we didn’t want them scuffling when we weren’t around. It was about a week before we felt ok leaving them alone all day.

They get along great now, they play together throughout the day and do mutual grooming occasionally but prefer separate spots for sleeping. Under the bed is his space and the sofas in the living room are hers. The funniest is when they eat from the same bowl together even though they each have their own if they want, they take turns and wait for each other :3:

gloom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 12, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How can you tell a hairball from vomiting? Hairballs have... a big mass of hair in them or something?

Quill was spayed last thursday, she was mewing this morning and really acting strange by the front door to the apartment like she wanted to get out into the hallway. I thought maybe she was just still in heat a bit (she was during the spay) so I gave her some pets and brought her and some toys over on top of the bed. She mewed again and then kinda wretched onto the bed, very thin fluid with some partially digested food. She went out and did the same in the living room 10 min later.

She's had a normal bowel movement today, and she's super energetic and wants to play and jump around and run about like normal kitten stuff now that she's vomited. She's about 23 weeks old. Her incision looks good to me, no redness or drainage. there's a small lump under where one of her sutures is but she doesn't react to palpation the way I'd expect for an abscess and I suspect it's either a seroma or inflammation from the underlaying sutures. She doesn't really ever go for her sutures but she did NOT tolerate a cone or donut (she was freaking out jumping all over and we were more worried about her incision site than anything) so we picked up some onesies that she's been wearing.

About an hour after her vomiting she was going to her food bowl so I gave her some food and she ate it all with a normal appetite.

I called the vet and she said to just watch her and that she'd be more worried if she was lethargic etc. I'm open to hearing about other thoughts. It's possible she ate something she shouldn't have and was just clearing.

Fabulousity posted:

The magnificent tabby beast in the below photos went into sudden kidney failure and had to be put down at the end of last month and he was only 4 years old. He was so sweet he gave us all diabetes. gently caress this reality.

I'm so sorry.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hairballs have a big wad of hair in them, yes. Throwing up every now and then with or without a hairball is just cat stuff though, if she's acting fine and not throwing up repeatedly then she's probably fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anyone else surprised by the shape of hairballs? I expected a ball shape, but it's more of a tube. Hair cylinders.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Perfectly foot-sized, for maximum stepping on! Thanks, cats.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Huge thanks to everyone. I know a lot of this is New Cat Dad stuff but I can't help but worry. Here's a not great photo I just took while she's sleeping:

There's definitely a small area where there's some swelling/fluid under the skin kinda distal to the rearmost suture. I can't say I remember seeing it before, but she's also letting me palpate it and she's actually purring when I do so I can't imagine it's an infection. It's absolutely not firm and I don't get the impression of a loculated abscess in any way. Withdrawing the skin from the underlaying fascia I can identify where the sutures are underneath, and they seem intact and midline. It seems mostly like some free fluid that's collecting in the area as it heals.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on her/it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 12, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Huge thanks to everyone. I know a lot of this is New Cat Dad stuff but I can't help but worry.

It's actually really entertaining reading people learning about cats for the first time, so please don't feel you're making GBS threads up the thread by posting questions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, your affection and concern for Quill is very sweet, and Quill's a great cat. Don't worry about making GBS threads up the thread.

A couple of isolated pukes from a young cat with good activity and appetite isn't a huge source of worry. I can't say what's up with the sutures, since I'm not a vet, but I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure she keeps eating/drinking well and staying active.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys. I'm going to post a cropped version of her incision (sans nipples) onto my IG story and ask if my vasectomy site looks infected.

For the sake of something fun for the thread, Quill lays on my desk on a nice fuzzy blanket and it's beside one of my bookshelf speakers. I just figured out today that she's been turning the volume on the speakers down every now and then I guess playing with the knobs on the back of the speakers. I was wondering why my windows volume needed to be 80+% to hear anything.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
She looks okay to me. When Lena's spay site got infected it looked wrong - like she had a small hole and it was damp. She also hated all cones and donuts and freaked the gently caress out, would get it off, and then hide in tiny spaces until she felt safe to come out so she had time to lick at it. That and probably Katya being rough with her didn't help.

We ended up having to have her site fixed, get antibiotics, and kept her coned, onsied and crated. She got the go ahead to leave the crate last Saturday and to take off her cone and onsie on Tuesday. Now Lena's doing great and definitely back to her old self but a bit more tolerant of being picked up and handled since she had to be for the 2 and half weeks.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hello Cat Thread!

My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting a kitty from our local shelter for months, and she's extremely excited about adopting a furball "any day now". I have never had a cat before, but I would like to put together a starter kit as a christmas present, and I was hoping for some ideas on what to buy for a young cat you haven't met yet. I was thinking maybe a carrier, a litterbox + supplies, maybe some toys and treats? Food and water bowl? Do cats need a sleeping crate? I've only ever had dogs :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riatsala posted:

Hello Cat Thread!

My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting a kitty from our local shelter for months, and she's extremely excited about adopting a furball "any day now". I have never had a cat before, but I would like to put together a starter kit as a christmas present, and I was hoping for some ideas on what to buy for a young cat you haven't met yet. I was thinking maybe a carrier, a litterbox + supplies, maybe some toys and treats? Food and water bowl? Do cats need a sleeping crate? I've only ever had dogs :negative:

Cats sleep wherever they want, hth.