Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I was legit surprised Moraine and the seat were lovers. What did Moraine drop in the bath house? It looked like and earing

It was a dried herb, I'm pretty sure. A signal to meet up with a specific contact that has important info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I was legit surprised Moraine and the seat were lovers. What did Moraine drop in the bath house? It looked like and earing

It was a message from one of her contacts to check out the yellow healing house. It was the same kind of blossom that was growing on that little sky bridge they walked across when she went to talk to Egwene and Perrin.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
e:fb

Anyway this episode was great. Anybody have an idea why Moiraine wanted to keep the Two Rivers crew separate? She lied by omission to Egwene because ???

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

e:fb

Anyway this episode was great. Anybody have an idea why Moiraine wanted to keep the Two Rivers crew separate? She lied by omission to Egwene because ???

Probably to keep them hidden from other interested parties and best to not keep all your eg(wene)s in one basket.

But as we saw it didn't really work since Liandrin's own eyes and ears had some hot goss and knew what was going on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

she also probably wanted to keep tabs on them, since letting them know where the others were beforehand would have them immediately rushing off and potentially getting in trouble

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Makes sense, her job is a bit like herding cats these days (and we see how well that went). That put down/threat at Liandrin made me actually gasp, finally some actual plotting and scheming. That and the Two Rivers gang unionizing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Makes sense, her job is a bit like herding cats these days (and we see how well that went). That put down/threat at Liandrin made me actually gasp, finally some actual plotting and scheming. That and the Two Rivers gang unionizing.

The only union Amazon has.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grillfiend posted:

come to the book thread to discuss those changes

no

it was just a comment I don't feel the need to discuss it

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
Good episode. Feel like maybe a bit more time with the two rivers ppl would have been good, felt slightly rushed to go to the way gate thing. The reddit/youtube ppl are probably freaking out after this episode.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Really enjoyed that episode.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I thought the episode was solid, for the people who thought it was amazing / better than the others, I’d be interested to know why.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:engleft: "I vow to obey Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat..."

:goleft::goleft::goleft: "Aww no her exile is so sad"

:engleft: "...who is the best, smartest, most majestic woman I've ever met..."

:goleft::goleft::goleft: "wow she's very devoted to our leader I guess"

:engleft: "...with the smoothest skin and legs that go for days..."

:goleft::goleft::goleft: "Uhhh hmmmm"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

BrianWilly posted:

Well she can’t tell a lie…

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Speculating now that Mat's actor quit because he didn't have the strength of commitment for full frontal nude scenes.

Shame, I wanted to seem them dice and dagger.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given how quiet everyone's been about his replacement I think/hope that maybe it's a narrative thing. I don't even remember if anything happens where it'd make sense for him to look completely different, at least anywhere close to that early, but it's fantasy and the show is obviously not afraid to change things up a bit, combine elements, move events around etc. so I'm hoping maybe it's a thing where the character is physically changed through magic in some fashion that's organic to the narrative.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Beefeater1980 posted:

I thought the episode was solid, for the people who thought it was amazing / better than the others, I’d be interested to know why.

The scenes were just all super enjoyable, particularly for a bookreader, since there was a bunch of new fun stuff, which I can't talk about in this thread.

Siuan's actor was awesome in her role. And of course, Rosamund Pike as well.

I loved seeing Rand try to protect Mat going as far to pull his sword.

Zoey Robins was killing Nynaeve this episode, and I think I like her even more here than in episode 4.

Madden did nothing major, but the subtle things like looking excited with the Amalyn's praise was great.

Basically though, there were no "gaps" in the episode where I was less engaged. I was basically just glued to my screen from start to finish.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
we need an :onyourknees: smilie

someone please make it happen, tia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Beefeater1980 posted:

Well, you see, I'm gay and

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MegaZeroX posted:

The scenes were just all super enjoyable, particularly for a bookreader, since there was a bunch of new fun stuff, which I can't talk about in this thread.

Siuan's actor was awesome in her role. And of course, Rosamund Pike as well.

I loved seeing Rand try to protect Mat going as far to pull his sword.

Zoey Robins was killing Nynaeve this episode, and I think I like her even more here than in episode 4.

Madden did nothing major, but the subtle things like looking excited with the Amalyn's praise was great.

Basically though, there were no "gaps" in the episode where I was less engaged. I was basically just glued to my screen from start to finish.

Like your points and agreed. Funny that watching this particular episode made me realise I don’t remember much of the books at all. Really enjoying this show and hope it keeps getting more props from the internet as it really did not deserve the initial backlash. Considering how much early teen me hated these books I’m shocked how into this show I am and how much I’m rooting for it to be good.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

The only thing that's a little strange, and it's easily hand-waved, was Siuane's younger self seemed to have a Scottish accent and Sophie Okenado went with almost an RP voice for official business and her normal one for private stuff. I mean, it's easy enough to say her accent changed/faded over years wandering as a Blue and living in the tower as the seat, but would've been nice to stay consistent.

This is honestly incredibly common for working-class people who end up in academia and/or high-status professions; You hide your 'real' voice ( accent/dialect ), and speak the way someone in your position is expected to speak. Siuan's accent changing when she and Moiraine is together in private is a subtle, but huge clue to just how close they are.

e: One of the better known recent examples - though possibly in reverse, funnily enough - is W.'s Texas accent. Whether that is an act to seem more folksy, or how he genuinely sounds, is more than I can say, but in older clips he sounds far more Ivy League than when he was Governor or running for/was President.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 10, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RE: accents, it reminded me how Baltar in the new BSG was faking a Caprican, upper class accent all the time except when he revealed he was actually from a more "working class" colony by changing accent mid-sentence. Maybe they're doing something similar with Siuan?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

MegaZeroX posted:

All good points but on a rewatch this one jumped out, agree. I was expecting one big action sequence I guess like in ep4, but this was indeed great for having basically no downtime and just blasting along.

E: I mean given that this was the one the critics got so excited about.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I feel like the costume department invented an entirely new color for Moiraine's dress.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CeeJee posted:

I feel like the costume department invented an entirely new color for Moiraine's dress.

Capital letters BLUE.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tsob posted:

Given how quiet everyone's been about his replacement I think/hope that maybe it's a narrative thing. I don't even remember if anything happens where it'd make sense for him to look completely different, at least anywhere close to that early, but it's fantasy and the show is obviously not afraid to change things up a bit, combine elements, move events around etc. so I'm hoping maybe it's a thing where the character is physically changed through magic in some fashion that's organic to the narrative.

iirc from all signs it seems like there were mainly disagreements involved with the actor, i don't know from which end, and for some reason or another he's out and they're getting in an understudy who qualified for the part too. we don't know the reason and there's not much speculation to be made until something is said, if it happens

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CeeJee posted:

Color code: Eiffel 65

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

Color code: Eiffel 65

The Green died, checks out.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

iirc from all signs it seems like there were mainly disagreements involved with the actor, i don't know from which end, and for some reason or another he's out and they're getting in an understudy who qualified for the part too. we don't know the reason and there's not much speculation to be made until something is said, if it happens

Given his timing of being out, it feels like not getting a COVID shot could be part of it.

But apparently he also disappeared from social media, so I wonder if it could have been a medical thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Very good episode.

The costume department knocked it out of the park for this one, everyone in their formal attire in the White Tower is easily on par with what we've seen in Foundation - probably the golden standard, costume-wise, for recent prestige TV doom blue armor and all.

It also paid off big time on some of the previous episode perceived weak points: the discussion between Moiraine and the green AS about her having to watch out for the Seat - that felt superfluous before - now has been revealed as some planting for the twist. And Moiraine has finally shown how a real power player uses her secret knowledge - putting down Liandrin's petty scheme with a big bomb that she had known all along (compared to Liandrin's high school level "I know something you think you're keeping secret tee-hee").

The pacing felt solid and there we no abrupt cuts - except one at the beginning, in between the scenes where kid Siuan's on the boat with her father and the one where they find out their burned out house. If I were a betting man I would say this episode has probably been mostly left untouched when they were forced to cut down content and it shows.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The cut from Moiraine being exiled to being on horseback was extremely sudden and jarring, and I never notice that kind of stuff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well it's not like she had family in the tower to go say goodbye to or things to pack. She's been on the road for how many years?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TLM3101 posted:

This is honestly incredibly common for working-class people who end up in academia and/or high-status professions; You hide your 'real' voice ( accent/dialect ), and speak the way someone in your position is expected to speak. Siuan's accent changing when she and Moiraine is together in private is a subtle, but huge clue to just how close they are.

e: One of the better known recent examples - though possibly in reverse, funnily enough - is W.'s Texas accent. Whether that is an act to seem more folksy, or how he genuinely sounds, is more than I can say, but in older clips he sounds far more Ivy League than when he was Governor or running for/was President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Neg4NmChk

I'd like to hope they're putting actual effort into code switching given that it's a thing in the universe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It wasn't the code switching, it was the younger actress having a totally different accent to Okenado.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gaz-L posted:

It wasn't the code switching, it was the younger actress having a totally different accent to Okenado.
It's been a long rear end time since Siuan has lived in Tear, accents change.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's worth noting that Tear looked loving gorgeous. I mean, everywhere this show does long distance shots looks gorgeous but the river shot in Tear was gorgeous. I wonder where it was taken?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BrianWilly posted:

:engleft: "I vow to obey Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat..."

:goleft::goleft::goleft: "Aww no her exile is so sad"

:engleft: "...who is the best, smartest, most majestic woman I've ever met..."

:goleft::goleft::goleft: "wow she's very devoted to our leader I guess"

I loved how cute this was, but absolutely had to assume the others couldn't hear her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She was basically whispering during those parts where she's talking to/about Siuan anyway, so I don't see why you'd think anyone else could hear her talking. She starts talking quite loud and strong, finishes even more so but is practically whispering for a lot of it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 10, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the whole 'I love you' part is whispered so presumably the room can hear her repeating the important bits the details aren't caught.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The cut from Moiraine being exiled to being on horseback was extremely sudden and jarring, and I never notice that kind of stuff.
She quite literally would have been unable to do anything but IMMEDIATELY leave the tower thanks to the oath rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandomReader posted:

It's been a long rear end time since Siuan has lived in Tear, accents change.

As I said this is totally fair, doubly so with her having been Blue and presumably travelled a fair bit. Just could've been nice to show the intimacy by reverting to her 'home' voice with Moiraine