Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

euphronius posted:

No one has found a Carthage corpse that looks like a child that was sacrificed so. Even if the Canaanites sacrificed a kid in like 1200 BCE that is a way long distance from Carthage in the time of the punic wars.

Romans did do human sacrifice, not children tho.

I could have sworn I recall having read about a mass grave being found in a temple of Tanit and the bones being all children and seemingly healthy, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

fosborb posted:

further

Science Follow Topic

implementing random lockdowns for shits and giggles to own millions, destroy supply lines and increase inflation, to own the libs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was under the impression there was. Also considering that human sacrifice was a fairly common practice across antiquity and that while also a biased source, the Hebrew bible lays the same claims against the Canaanites, it seems to me far more probable than not that human sacrifice was indeed a feature of Phoenician religion.
I agree the Roman claims are, in and of themselves, not compelling. And that Rome was just as bad, if not worse. And also engaged in human sacrifice.

:ssh:
the isrealites genocided the canaanites, they might not be a reliable narrator

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Contains Acetone posted:

So how is Dr. John Campbell's content these days? My partner and I followed him fairly often in early days. We also kind of checked out after an episode where he was hypothesizing that the difference in medical outcomes of black+brown people may be entirely explained by vitamin D deficiencies which lol (and when it became clear capitalism wasn't going to do what was required to actually fix things).

Seems to have gone off his rocker. Maybe around the time the UK government went back to the "everyone gets covid" strategy they love so much?

New Found Power posted:

Nobody here is hung up on PhDs not being 'real doctors' - the vast majority of this thread's most trusted sources are PhDs.

The difference being, that these are PhDs with credible experience of doing primary research in relevant areas. Being a doctor of teaching biosciences to a mostly undergrad nursing population might make him an experienced and effective communicator, but makes him laughably unqualified to speculate on the state of things in a novel and fast-moving field.

I trust him on proper needle technique I guess

Hopper posted:

The article is not completely specific but it says all adults are "vollständig immunisiert" including the severe case. Now this should mean fully vaccinated, I am not sure why they didn't just say it like that. No idea if they were boosted or what vaccine they got.
Edit: looked it up, they phrased it "vollständig immunisiert" because you count as fully vaccinated after one J&J shot or 2 BNT or Moderna shots according to RKI, and that's the official terminology.

As for the kids it's even more unspecific. It only says there are kids among the close contacts, some of which could not yet be vaccinated. This may mean they are too young too be vaccinated or didn't get round to doing it yet. No info on the vacc status of the severely ill kids though.

I mean, two kids getting severe infections this early in the wave is not a good sign?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zodium posted:

unsheathing my science katana with grim determination for the final showdown with evolution, who easily and immediately kicks my rear end so hard I'm on the ground crying and pissing blood all over my clown suit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could have sworn I recall having read about a mass grave being found in a temple of Tanit and the bones being all children and seemingly healthy, no?

They wernet healthy. They were dead. RIP.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Louisgod posted:

I did a lot outside work that I no longer do but understood the need to not do that anymore to protect myself and my kids, whereas many, many others prioritize social activities over the safety and well-being of themselves and their family. we're an insanely self-centered country.

Yeah, I don't get this argument either. We used to go out to eat about twice a week, now I don't know if we'll ever sit down in a dine-in restaurant again. It's loving fine.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

etalian posted:

I wonder how long until someone in CSPAM does the 4th shot milestone?

What do you mean, we have peeps with seven shots.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://wgme.com/news/local/maine-sets-a-new-single-day-record-for-covid-19-infections

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

:hmmyes: "comorbidities"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
the isrealites genocided the canaanites, they might not be a reliable narrator

Correct. But when you have multiple disparate sources accusing a group of something and you know that the thing in question is a very common practice and would seem to fit, it seems plausible that their claims are at least partially true even in spite of their biases.

I mean sometimes Fox News says things that are true.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

euphronius posted:

Only mildly.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Dr. Anthony "Mengele" Fauci lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Paradoxish posted:

Absolutely no one in the US was ever truly isolated by COVID. No one.

A few pages back, but I think there are lots of orphans that might disagree with you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no multiple disparate groups accusing the cathaginians of child sacrifice.

You cant connect something in the bible to the carthaginians.

The pople who accused arthage of child sacrifice wanted the land in north africa. Look where Cato's son died for gods sake.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

e: all time

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

not much archeological evidence of that at all.

The Romans wouldn't lie about the perfidious Carthaginians, would they?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Omicron case development Denmark:

And by vaccination status:

I think they are self-explanatory.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

euphronius posted:

There is no multiple disparate groups accusing the cathaginians of child sacrifice.

You cant connect something in the bible to the carthaginians.

The pople who accused arthage of child sacrifice wanted the land in north africa. Look where Cato's son died for gods sake.

I think you're a cathaginian

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

third crack ping of the day!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

A few pages back, but I think there are lots of orphans that might disagree with you.

:smithcloud:

probably should have said there was no one forced to isolate by lockdowns

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

drat they got covid??

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

third crack ping of the day!

hit that pinger, go for the cycle

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

is this the face of someone who sacrifices children to moloch?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I think I may have caught a normal cold in covid times somehow. Painful cough, runny nose. Two binax tests are negative since symptoms started, can smell and taste just fine, my pulse ox is steady at 97 and I'm not running a high temperature at all.

Missed 3 days of work so far but hoping I don't have to sit out the full two weeks. Gonna keep taking the tests and quarantining until I feel better though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I need a vroom vroom emoji or "this isn't even my final form"

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

mask 😡

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Dr_D_Robertson/status/1390674674586107909?s=20
https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1393515398004449283?s=20
https://twitter.com/ActuaryByDay/status/1396365692212031491?s=20
https://twitter.com/RajeevJayadevan/status/1390487261666443265?s=20
https://twitter.com/SimplyBiochem/status/1392786717724270602?s=20

Good news on Delta, everyone!

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

:sludgepal:

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1469321887402635267

But enjoy the weekend, don't worry about masks until Monday.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

dido carthage multipass

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think I may have caught a normal cold in covid times somehow. Painful cough, runny nose. Two binax tests are negative since symptoms started, can smell and taste just fine, my pulse ox is steady at 97 and I'm not running a high temperature at all.

Missed 3 days of work so far but hoping I don't have to sit out the full two weeks. Gonna keep taking the tests and quarantining until I feel better though

It happens, I had a pretty brutal one last week that didn't turn out to be covid

though I was shittin' myself for a bit there, not gonna lie

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

hope u feel better soon, my dude

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Correct. But when you have multiple disparate sources accusing a group of something and you know that the thing in question is a very common practice and would seem to fit, it seems plausible that their claims are at least partially true even in spite of their biases.

I mean sometimes Fox News says things that are true.

i think it would be better to take from these two examples the historic lesson
"civilizations that genocide their neighbors and conquer their land tend to lie about why they did it"

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mild exponential growth.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this is just loving insane

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Barry Foster posted:

It happens, I had a pretty brutal one last week that didn't turn out to be covid

though I was shittin' myself for a bit there, not gonna lie

It feels so 2010's. How did this little guy slip by all my covid precautions? Just kidding I know the answer, it's my dumb retail job. I don't go out for anything else

DNK posted:

hope u feel better soon, my dude

Thanks! Today already feels a little better than yesterday. Made some soup and am just relaxing

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 10, 2021

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is just loving insane

lol, also completely unoriginal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004