Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

teen witch posted:

AITA for not telling my gf what I do for a living?

AITA for taking my gf through the side entrance of a fancy restaurant and into the best seats in the house while also being provided some lovely wine from Mr. Tony over there as Then He Kissed Me by the Crystals played?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my neighbour to move her craft room to a different bedroom

quote:

She always stops using her embroidery and sewing machines by 7pm but she's told me she can sit up until 10pm some nights finishing off orders which plays on my mind. I go to bed at 9pm and I can't sleep for hours as I lie there listening for her every move. Just knowing she's awake and walking about drives me crazy as I find it so selfish someone would buy a flat and work from home.

The absolute insanity of this woman, staying up until ten at night. This is definitely something that would drive any sensible person crazy, knowing that their neighbour goes to bed as late as that!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

AITA for taking my gf through the side entrance of a fancy restaurant and into the best seats in the house while also being provided some lovely wine from Mr. Tony over there as Then He Kissed Me by the Crystals played?
Hey, it's hard out there for union delegates right now.

Grape posted:

I literally cannot fathom this dude.
He seems to be of the mindset that masturbation is only for single people.

MarcusSA posted:

Boyfriend’s alarms go off for up to 3 hours on and off before he wakes up for work
I still don't know why I put up with this every weekend for three loving years

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 10, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my neighbour to move her craft room to a different bedroom

Tear up the planks! Here! Here! It is the humming of her hideous machines!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

she's weirdly fixated on her neighbor being childless and single, so it's probably some kind of internalized misogyny thing

she'd probably be fine if it was normal, natural noise like babies crying or toddlers running around shrieking, not the infernal murmur of a witch's devil engines

quote:

I told her I don't make any noise and that's when things took a turn as she said she can hear my kids running around and jumping off furniture all evening but she would never dream of complaining because it's just one of those things when you share a building with other people.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 10, 2021

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Mx. posted:

My girlfriend is upset with me because the job I got her is not up to her standards.

"I told her to stick around and work a year and she might get promoted"

I don't think OP is the rear end in a top hat, but I imagine this is the trap almost every receptionist falls into when they begrudgingly accept the job. The job that will end up being her doing every single administrative task in the office while getting paid the least.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A common theme with autism is that since you get inevitably raised utterly terrified of offending anyone for any reason since you're used to people getting irate at you for reasons you don't understand and they refuse to explain, and thus you become incredibly easy to abuse and exploit.

well that answered a lot of questions for me, thank you

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Galewolf posted:

I mean, with all the contactless stuff and harsher anti-money laundering stuff banks roll, can you even go to a legit shop and whip out a rolled hundies to buy a Cartier bracelent in cash with the store manager going :ducksiren: on you?

I had a £50 note on my way back to London after exchanging my local currency back to pounds and the Iceland manager went full on Tom Hanks in Catch Me If You Can mode.

Back when I did retail, £50s were both the least common note in circulation and the most likely to be counterfeit, so we checked the absolute gently caress out of those things. Don't think we ever had a fake one, though; it was all just dickheads that seemingly wanted to show off how rich they were by carrying around wads of the largest denomination note.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fil5000 posted:

Back when I did retail, £50s were both the least common note in circulation and the most likely to be counterfeit, so we checked the absolute gently caress out of those things. Don't think we ever had a fake one, though; it was all just dickheads that seemingly wanted to show off how rich they were by carrying around wads of the largest denomination note.

Those guys who have their entire life savings in cash do when people call them a loser (happens all the time) they pull it out and brag about how rich they are

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

AITA for not telling my gf what I do for a living?

My girlfriend is always asking why I come home from work covered in bank teller blood, completely ignoring the duffle bag full of bearer bonds that put food on our table.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its a legitimate union administration job. legitimate union jobs always pay in cash instead of through the banking system. no embezzlement here!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've had a couple friends who kept their money in cash because they "don't trust banks." Both had their rent money stolen.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Halloween Jack posted:

I've had a couple friends who kept their money in cash because they "don't trust banks." Both had their rent money stolen.
It's funny how the weed money never gets stolen, though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve known people who had to clear out their relatives houses who lived through the Great Depression and didn’t trust banks, but the money would always be in the walls or under the floorboards or something, not carried around with them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
AITA for not wanting my husband to accept a gift from his ex fiance.

quote:

So me and my husband have been together for over 4 years and 2 years married. Last year my husband was being a huge jerk to me and our close friends so none of us got him a Christmas present or a birthday gift this year. Even after he hot his poo poo together and treated us alot better we're still trying to see if we want to get him a gift this upcoming Christmas but considering alot of us get our Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving we decided to get him any gifts a little later and he would probably get his Christmas gifts in January or February. Recently however I saw that my husband had been talking to his ex on Facebook and she offered to get him a Christmas gift this year. I brought this up to him and told him that I wasnt comfortable with him reconnecting with his ex much less recieving gifts from her. He told me that unless me our group of friends get him something this year he's taking what he can get. I reminded him that the reason he didn't get any gifts was because he was being a jerk and he said "I know I was being a jerk last year but I'm better now and the fact that you cant acknowledge the fact that he's trying to make things better is selfish and narcissistic" He said that unless he gets a Christmas gift from me and one from our friends hes taking his exes present because he deserves something this year. So Am I the rear end in a top hat here or am I justified?

Edit: ok so I should explain how he was being a jerk He was just very rude and we would have alot of arguments about his attitude. He'd make some insensitive joke here and there and was all around pretty much annoyed at everything.
Mrs. Claus takes the naughty and nice list seriously.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

duffmensch posted:

I left the neighborhood Facebook group because people were constantly winding themselves up about the dumbest poo poo.

Someone standing on a street corner in the middle of the day? Casing houses to rob or getting ready to kidnap people. Doubly so if they weren’t white.

Telling them if they were THAT concerned, they should consider calling it into the non-emergency line really pissed them off as they “just wanted the neighborhood to know”.

They don't call non-emergency lines because they know the responders are sick of their petty bullshit, so they go around harassing & annoying people in person instead

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Darkhold posted:

:coal:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Darkhold posted:

Weird that some 12 year-olds have been married for 2 years, tbh.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Okay, I was feeling that it would be the case, thanks for confirming.

A guy whipping out a thousands in cash to buy a luxury watch? I sleep
Someone trying but grapes and a frozen sausage roll with a legal £50 banknote? REAL poo poo

when i was in school, my grandmother would occasionally send me a card with a $100 bill in it. i actually had a hard time spending it because none of the local stores around the university would take a bill that large. this was when gas stations still let you pump first and then pay, so i would usually just end up getting :10bux: worth of gas and pay with the $100 to get change.

what were they going to do, call the police and say that i'm trying to steal gas because they refuse to take my money?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
AITA for yelling at my husbands ex girlfriend

quote:

My 28F husband 29M and I have been together four years. We have 1 child 2F together. His ex 29F has not gotten over their breakup even though it’s been 5 years. I met him around 6 months after they broke up.

She went through a lot of lengths to break us up and absolutely lost it when we announced our engagement. She showed up to our wedding in a white wedding dress and we later found out it was because my MIL had invited her as her plus 1. I tried to ignore it to keep the peace until she tried to pour wine on my wedding dress. I lost it at that and kicked her out.

We have gone low-contact with MIL since that incident and only keep contact for her to see our daughter.

His ex girlfriend is still bitter about him breaking up with her and she sometimes does things like follow me to the grocery store or follow my husband and I to our date nights.

This thanksgiving, we had a dinner planned for close family and made the mistake of inviting MIL. She brought his ex, and I tried to be polite and set up an extra spot on the table because I didn’t want to be rude.

Everything went well until my daughter woke up from her nap before dinner and his ex raced to pick her up. I was behind her and as she picked her up she began saying things like “mamas here baby don’t worry mama is here for you” and I felt very uncomfortable. I then attempted to take my daughter and she wouldn’t let her go and said I should let her have a few seconds in the life she had stolen from her.

Let me tell you now. I was seeing red. I told her that what she said was out of line and she needed to leave and not come back. I was done with her ruining things she wasn’t invited to just because my MIL asked her to come.

I 100% do not feel like an rear end in a top hat although my MIL chewed me out afterwards and left. She’s also gotten some of my husbands aunts and cousins on her side so I’m starting to feel bad.
Give me your family.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The_Franz posted:

when i was in school, my grandmother would occasionally send me a card with a $100 bill in it. i actually had a hard time spending it because none of the local stores around the university would take a bill that large. this was when gas stations still let you pump first and then pay, so i would usually just end up getting :10bux: worth of gas and pay with the $100 to get change.

what were they going to do, call the police and say that i'm trying to steal gas because they refuse to take my money?

Did your town not have banks or did you not think of that because you were too busy creating elaborate schemes based on gas station attendant psychology

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Tell your MIL to gently caress off and if she wants a grandkid she can see she can wait on her homegirl to have one.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The_Franz posted:

did this town not have banks or did it not occur to you that they might have enough cash on hand to break a hundred

e:f,b

further edit: a grocery store can generally give you change for a hundred, too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
AITA for getting mad at my wife whenever she talks descendingly about my our son’s work?

quote:

(i never used this platform so sorry if I get anything wrong, also while my English is pretty good, it's not my first language)

So basically my son is a professional aerial performer and is currently performing in this large and popular horror themed circus where we live. I know I may be biased but in my opinion, he's really good and it's just amazing to watch him perform, maybe a little scary sometimes and I sometimes worry about him with some of the tricks and acts he does.

My wife however will just tell people he works in the circus. Never mentioning that he's an aerial performer, that he actually works independently and is basically a contractor (i don't know if there are any proper terms, but this is the best way I can describe it), that he works with a very large and popular circus. Just that he works in the circus.

Whenever we are out and she sees a clown she will point at it and say “look, it's [son’s name]”. And it is very clear she looks down on him for what he does, she assumes he makes next to nothing and is "poor". I know he’s. He doesn't make a crazy amount, but he makes enough to support himself well.

This all came to a head when we were with some of her friends and one of them ask if our son could entertain her kids at a birthday party, promising to pay him “generously” since “he must be struggling”. My wife laughed and responded with “ill see if he's free”. I butted in saying “he probably won't be able to since the birthday falls on a day when [popular circus], which is where he works as a headline aerial act in is fully booked because it's so close to the New Year.”

Almost everyone there was shocked since all this info was new to them, my wife looked pissed and left. She sat in the car and texted me that she wants to leave. I stayed for about 20 mins answering questions and showing them some videos. The woman who asked apologised, saying she was given the impression by my wife that our son was a struggling and failing cheap circus performer and wanted to help him.

When I finally left and got in the car my wife yelled at me, saying that I made her look like an idiot and horrible mother in front of her friends. When we got home she stormed out the car and locked herself in our bedroom crying loudly she's been like this for almost an hour now and I’m starting to feel awful and like an AH. I could have just left it alone, so AITA?

He floats through the air with the greatest of ease
The daring failson on the flying trapeze
His actions are graceful, all girls he does please
And his mother was driven away

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Did your town not have banks or did you not think of that because you were too busy creating elaborate schemes based on gas station attendant psychology

nothing nearby, and the banks closed quite early, which didn't help when it was later in the evening and i needed something to eat. when it came down to it they always were able to give me change, they were just obstinate about taking large bills for whatever reason. it was a busy gas station at a time when people still overwhelmingly paid for gas in cash, not a food cart

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What is the thread's collective opinion on these people who have a crazy/awful parent but keep contact with them only for the 'benefit of the grandchild'? There have been a few examples posted recently. If a relative is bad enough that you don't want contact with them, why would you want your child to have contact with them? Is there something I'm missing?

Disclaimer: my viewpoint may be skewed by a mother in law that any future child of mine won't know. But that's because if she's bad enough that my partner's taken the difficult choice to not have contact with her mother to protect herself, surely she's bad enough that we'd seek to protect a child from her.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Hold on, she's paying the bills?

Well yeah, he's obviously retired and on a fixed income.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What is the thread's collective opinion on these people who have a crazy/awful parent but keep contact with them only for the 'benefit of the grandchild'? There have been a few examples posted recently. If a relative is bad enough that you don't want contact with them, why would you want your child to have contact with them? Is there something I'm missing?

Disclaimer: my viewpoint may be skewed by a mother in law that any future child of mine won't know. But that's because if she's bad enough that my partner's taken the difficult choice to not have contact with her mother to protect herself, surely she's bad enough that we'd seek to protect a child from her.

It's "but faaaaaamily" brain worms

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

same reason people marry awful shitheads they can't stand I guess. when you don't have any real will or personality of your own to help you figure out what you want you just default back to How It Is Done

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

What is the thread's collective opinion on these people who have a crazy/awful parent but keep contact with them only for the 'benefit of the grandchild'?
They're stupid

quote:

Is there something I'm missing?
When people abuse others over a long period of time it gets in their head in ways they don't even realize. They know how to disarm their defenses and push their buttons and the victim is conditioned to accept it and take certain things for granted. They don't even spot red flags, let alone deal with them properly, in situations where they wouldn't take that poo poo from any other human being.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Complete agreement here. We're no-contact with my MIL and that means no contact for anyone, kid included, and it'd be the same if it was one of my parents who lost their loving minds.

Good grandparents are great. Ones who were so awful that you had to cut them off completely aren't of any benefit to the kid.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

nothing nearby, and the banks closed quite early, which didn't help when it was later in the evening and i needed something to eat. when it came down to it they always were able to give me change, they were just obstinate about taking large bills for whatever reason. it was a busy gas station at a time when people still overwhelmingly paid for gas in cash, not a food cart

gas stations usually dont have a lot of cash (because of robberies) and trying to make change for a hundred can wipe out a cashier's supply of small bills. think about it, everyone's coming in paying with a big bill and asking for small bills, but instead of handing out $4.50 in change now you've got to give someone like $87.25, rip my drawer, i've got to stop what i'm doing to and ask the manager to get more money and dealing with everyone who gets upset now that i have to ask them to wait to get correct change. its just disruptive to treat a small business like an ATM. some cashiers will refuse to take bills that large and the "its legal tender!!!" argument doesn't fly

e: also not saying you did this or ragging on you, you were a kid and did what you had to do. but sometimes working a register you'll see someone pull up in a beemer or some fancy car and they come in and ostentatiously buy a couple gallons of gas with a hundred like that's impressive. oo mr. lord of the manor has a hundo in his italian leather wallet, he must eat steak and sleep on pure silken sheets. coworker had a dude like this once and then the dude asked her for her number, like any woman likes being picked up at work... and bruh, if you're such a gold plated boss why are you picking up women at a gas station...

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 10, 2021

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

gas stations usually dont have a lot of cash (because of robberies) and trying to make change for a hundred can wipe out a cashier's supply of small bills. think about it, everyone's coming in paying with a big bill and asking for small bills, but instead of handing out $4.50 in change now you've got to give someone like $87.25, rip my drawer, i've got to stop what i'm doing to and ask the manager to get more money and dealing with everyone who gets upset now that i have to ask them to wait to get correct change. its just disruptive to treat a small business like an ATM. some cashiers will refuse to take bills that large and the "its legal tender!!!" argument doesn't fly

my favorite part of delivering pizzas was ppl trying to pay with hundreds. like, what part of "driver only has $20" did you miss? and they'd always, always get totally pissed when i said, "well do you want me to come back with the pizza or come back with your change. 'cuz the option where i leave the pizza *and* your money here is not on the table"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

my favorite part of delivering pizzas was ppl trying to pay with hundreds. like, what part of "driver only has $20" did you miss? and they'd always, always get totally pissed when i said, "well do you want me to come back with the pizza or come back with your change. 'cuz the option where i leave the pizza *and* your money here is not on the table"

I once hosed up and only had a hundred for a pizza guy. Gave him a pretty good tip for running back and getting change because I felt like an rear end.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

kdrudy posted:

I once hosed up and only had a hundred for a pizza guy. Gave him a pretty good tip for running back and getting change because I felt like an rear end.

yeah ppl who are actually considerate of the pizza guy are few and far between. thanks for bein' decent

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to eat food my fiancé lets his kids touch

quote:

Exactly as stated. I live with my fiancé and his two kids (both under 7). He is gone two weeks out of every month and when he’s gone I do not serve meals “family style.” The kids get a plate pre made. When he’s here he puts all the food on the table and let’s them grab it to put it on their plates and every single item gets raw dog man handled by filthy hands. And I refuse to eat that food. I leave the table and do not return nor do I ever partake in that food. AITA? He’s made it clear he thinks I’m a psycho for not eating food his kids have touched. They do not wash their hands despite repeated attempts by me to force them to wash hands and not touch the food with their hands.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

In addition to what other people have said there are probably some folks who don't want to loose out on an interference, so they're tolerating their rear end in a top hat parents instead of completely burning bridges. Saying it's 'so the children can know their grandparents' is just less unseemly than 'I hate my mom but I bite my tongue when we're around her once a year so I'll hopefully at least get some cash when she dies.'

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hughlander posted:

I really hope she has no idea what that means.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

In addition to what other people have said there are probably some folks who don't want to loose out on an interference, so they're tolerating their rear end in a top hat parents instead of completely burning bridges. Saying it's 'so the children can know their grandparents' is just less unseemly than 'I hate my mom but I bite my tongue when we're around her once a year so I'll hopefully at least get some cash when she dies.'
I recall some tweet that said "I earned my money the old-fashioned way: by always being polite to grandma."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

That's a very good and descriptive phrase. I love it and want to be in a situation when I can use it.