Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
just saw the uyghur "tribunal" coverage here in Australia and the supposed victim of Chinese oppression that they interviewed was none other than this oval office: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rushan_Abbas
fmd they're not even trying to conceal the propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

A German game developer labels Chinese mainland as 'West Taiwan', draws backlash from netizens

i keep seeing "west taiwan" thrown around and its the most pathetic kind of cope

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's reddit-tier poo poo, on the same level of the bilingual copy-paste the forum's biggest morons occasionally post here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of reddit-tier poo poo

quote:

friendly reminder the Holodmor happened, the Armenian Genocide happened, the Cambodian Genocide happened, the Great Leap Forward happened, the Cultural Revolution happened, the Tiannanmen Square massacre happened, and the Falun Gong, Tibetan, and Uyghur persecution still happens today

quote:

Singaporeans are CCP bootlickers, they will support Duterte because he's pro-China and be against Leni because muh "CIA agent"

quote:

ngl I kinda want Leni to team up with Tsai Ing-Wen and build friendship and then an anti-CCP alliance since they've shown to be anti-CCP - to further piss off the pro-CCP Dutertards

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
holodmor
holodor
holdor
hodor
:asoiaf:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

cardinal directions r hard

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

holodmor
holodor
holdor
hodor
:asoiaf:

:thunk:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

Singaporeans are CCP bootlickers, they will support Duterte because he's pro-China and be against Leni because muh "CIA agent"

what in the sam hell does singapore have to do with duterte?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Taiwanese will be put on trains into the ocean any day now.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

is America supposed to be the chad guy

because lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cardinal directions r hard

"loaded onto trains for resettlement to the east" is a Holocaust reference, as in they're gonna be genocided like German Jews shipped east to camps in Poland, not that this guy can't read a map

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why do people always mention Holodomor but not the Kazakh famine that happened at the exact same moment?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Taiwanese will be put on trains into the ocean any day now.

Pretty sure it's just a holocaust reference, you're not supposed to read it literally. Different kind of idiocy.

e: too slow

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vasukhani posted:

Why do people always mention Holodomor but not the Kazakh famine that happened at the exact same moment?

its only a tragedy when white christians die

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that being the case there's probably something to be said about how these analogies and expressions only ever reflect upon the experiences of German and Polish Jews, as though millions of Soviet citizens, Jews included, were not sent west to camps in Poland or forced labour in German factories

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

its only a tragedy when white christians die

This is actually, literally, what Holodomorists believe.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

famine in Russia, known for being a unique occurrence that only ever occurred under the pernicious bolsheviks

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

that being the case there's probably something to be said about how these analogies and expressions only ever reflect upon the experiences of German and Polish Jews, as though millions of Soviet citizens, Jews included, were not sent west to camps in Poland or forced labour in German factories

it's almost as if liberals and fascists are the same thing... 🤔

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Monroe doctrine sense tingling, losing influence in central and south america!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Beijing Winter Olympics boycott is insignificant, says Macron

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59599063

quote:

France has no plans to join a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, President Emmanuel Macron has said.

Mr Macron said any such move would be insignificant and merely symbolic.

quote:

At an extended news conference on Thursday, Mr Macron said the Olympics should not be politicised, and that he preferred actions which had a "useful effect".

"To be clear: You either have a complete boycott, and don't send athletes, or you try to change things with useful actions," he said.

The president added that France would work with the International Olympic Committee on a charter to protect athletes, in a veiled reference to Peng Shuai.

"I don't think we should politicise these topics, especially if it's to take steps that are insignificant and symbolic," he said.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lmao macron laying burns???

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're so mad about those boats.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Top City Homo posted:

maybe your grandfather should have become illiterate to protect himself

lol I get it

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
iv got serious doubts about taiwans leadership really wanting things to get that hot because they have everything to lose and nothing to gain from provocation. everyone knows the pacific fleet is not going to stop the chinese because A. we don't have enough ships and B. we don't have even close to the number of sailors those ships loving need anyway so making more ships won't fix the problem

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Militant posted:

iv got serious doubts about taiwans leadership really wanting things to get that hot because they have everything to lose and nothing to gain from provocation. everyone knows the pacific fleet is not going to stop the chinese because A. we don't have enough ships and B. we don't have even close to the number of sailors those ships loving need anyway so making more ships won't fix the problem

also china has weapons that could easily sink all of those fancy ships and i don't think america is prepared for their navy to receive any losses what so ever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

America being defeated in a naval operation against China would be the last nail in the coffin for American hegemony. Once you've lost the impression of invulnerability it's gone forever. America can lose in Iraq, lose in Afghanistan, but as long as we can insist to have a powerful navy we remain the leading world power.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

America being defeated in a naval operation against China would be the last nail in the coffin for American hegemony. Once you've lost the impression of invulnerability it's gone forever. America can lose in Iraq, lose in Afghanistan, but as long as we can insist to have a powerful navy we remain the leading world power.

and then the nukes fly

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/UkrainianConflict/comments/rdadz7/is_it_possible_to_join_the_ukrainian_army_as_a/

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Serf posted:

and then the nukes fly

no they don't, that's why this is going nowhere because the only thing more embarrassing than losing a fleet would be our admittance that it would make no sense to go nuclear over ships lost in the pacific on the other side of the planet.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lady Militant posted:

Though it's also not clear to me that the PLA is really prepared to land on Taiwan. The closest to actual combat deployments anyone currently serving in the Chinese army has come is when they fought the Indians with clubs.
Overall, I consider that a good thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lady Militant posted:

no they don't, that's why this is going nowhere because the only thing more embarrassing than losing a fleet would be our admittance that it would make no sense to go nuclear over ships lost in the pacific on the other side of the planet.

If you press the big red button you won't have to admit anything anymore.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lady Militant posted:

i wouldn't underestimate the deep, psychotic superiority complex that grips the american political elite. being a dying empire with weapons of mass destruction will lead to millions, if not billions of lmaos

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well maybe the azov boys would take him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

genericnick posted:

Though it's also not clear to me that the PLA is really prepared to land on Taiwan. The closest to actual combat deployments anyone currently serving in the Chinese army has come is when they fought the Indians with clubs.
Overall, I consider that a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPO_PRtqj8

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

i wouldn't underestimate the deep, psychotic superiority complex that grips the american political elite. being a dying empire with weapons of mass destruction will lead to millions, if not billions of lmaos

A United States in decline would still have a sphere of influence to dominate, and that all goes away if you have a big sad and push the button.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

clearly you put your soldiers into rockets and then launch them across the channel and create a brand new sci-fi d-day

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A United States in decline would still have a sphere of influence to dominate, and that all goes away if you have a big sad and push the button.

This is one of the genuine fears I have about this country being a declining empire. We are deranged enough to take everyone else down with us.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i think this assumes a lot on the part of rational actors. i'm not saying its a 100% certainty, but i imagine that seeing the american navy lose ships to china would trigger truly hilarious backlash that could quickly cascade out of control. there is a lot of psychic energy bound up in being the biggest baddest guy on the planet and when that dam breaks i'd be heading for a bunker

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw PLA forces were almost certainly in Syria and they are apart of a much of UN missions.

Also, the PLAN doesn’t need to take out a battle group to be dominate, they just need to put the USN in the pacific on the defensive.

That said, the PRC still needs about 7-10 years to get everything in place including its carriers and its next generation of attack subs.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

i think this assumes a lot on the part of rational actors. i'm not saying its a 100% certainty, but i imagine that seeing the american navy lose ships to china would trigger truly hilarious backlash that could quickly cascade out of control. there is a lot of psychic energy bound up in being the biggest baddest guy on the planet and when that dam breaks i'd be heading for a bunker

Your average American would probably demand that we bring down the temple, but America's ruling class is an internationally connected bourgeois. They will be willing to accept a reduced role on the world stage if it means keeping the capital flows going, even if the public craves blood.