Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Short selling sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it’s interesting to see how bad at math tech bros and crypto idiots are.

If a stock doubles overnight (100% gain), then loses 60% the next day, the stock is below where it started. If it starts at 100, moves to 200 (100% gain) and loses 60% it ends up at $80. I’m sure a lot of them would think it increased by 40% (100% - 60%).

Also when bitcoin isn’t actually going up uP UP and is languishing around the same price having random sell offs it really takes the wind out of the sails of all these idiots because they don’t want to get rich slowly, they want to get rich quick (or more likely lose all their money quickly).

Talk to the typical boomer about investments and it’s very common for them to think that getting rich slowly is bullshit nonsense where you get bled dry. Either you get rich quick or you get poor (or die). How would they react to bitcoin not moving for 12mo?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's math involved? All I've ever seen is chest-thumping about how number goes up (even when number strangely does not always go up).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s always math involved with money. Only total loving idiots think otherwise so it makes total sense that bitcoin is where it is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phlag posted:

Is there anything stopping me from creating a new NFT for that digital image and trying to pass it off as an original?

I assume it's something along the lines of, "NFTs are linked to their creator, and we know that you are not the original artist." But if you have to check with some centralized organization like OpenSea to validate if the NFT is authentic not, it seems to defeat the purpose.

Maybe I'm nitpicking and should focus on the more obvious flaws with NFTs, but I feel like even if you set those aside, the technology doesn't seem like it'd do a good job of tracking legitimate ownership.

They're not actually linked to their creator. Most NFTs based on existing art are being created without knowledge or approval of the original artist and do not represent ownership of the original art in any sense.

But yes, also, there's nothing forcing NFTs to be truly unique so if someone has an NFT of lovely Ape #1371 you can just as easily make another NFT of lovely Ape #1371. They're non-fungible in the sense that both of them have their own unique, traceable provenance, so someone who knows what they're doing can tell them apart and if they're familiar with the background of the original lovely Ape #1371 NFT they can identify which one is "official." But there's nothing intrinsic or special about any given NFT that proves it's original or that it's what it claims to be.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tehinternet posted:

NFT = buying the receipt (oN tHe BLoCkChAiN) for the digital image that’s hosted on a third party server that you have no control over

It’s that simple. It’s so much more stupid than anyone reasonable could imagine.

Well, no, because it's not the receipt, it's a receipt.
And it's not for the image. It's for a link to an image.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
broke: buy a painting from an artist
woke: buy ownership to a link to a digital picture of a painting from someone other than the artist

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
bespoke: bot the jacking of every crypto wallet you can

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/stillindigo/status/1468822552768233474

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the major things about NFTs is how their buyers and proponents universally either don't know, refuse to acknowledge, or actively lie about what they actually do and how they work.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

jokes posted:

There’s always math involved with money. Only total loving idiots think otherwise so it makes total sense that bitcoin is where it is.

Is this why American schools are so obsessed with math? Because of the money connection? I only think this because I watched Mean Girls.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The funniest thing about the whole deal with NFTs being made of stolen art is that the normal response from cryptobros is to condemn the artist for not making their art NFTs themselves first.

Speaking of people into crypto/nfts not knowing anything about them, a little while back I saw some dumbass crypto twitter thread, with a particular tweet stating "Blockchains are special computers anyone can access but no one owns." Someone sane replied that computers are physical devices owned by someone on Earth, to which a loving mental master 'program manager at Microsoft' cryptobro responded saying, slightly paraphrased, "Computers don't need to be connected to physical hardware. Are abstract thoughts physical?"

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 10, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jokes posted:

Well, yeah, but I guess my point is a lot of the people swept up into this poo poo are not the ones doing any actual math.

See my friend's boyfriend who is totally "making it big" off of his DogeCoin investments. Any day now. Also he's only dealing on the side, he swears.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

jokes posted:

I think it’s interesting to see how bad at math tech bros and crypto idiots are.

If a stock doubles overnight (100% gain), then loses 60% the next day, the stock is below where it started. If it starts at 100, moves to 200 (100% gain) and loses 60% it ends up at $80. I’m sure a lot of them would think it increased by 40% (100% - 60%).

Also when bitcoin isn’t actually going up uP UP and is languishing around the same price having random sell offs it really takes the wind out of the sails of all these idiots because they don’t want to get rich slowly, they want to get rich quick (or more likely lose all their money quickly).

Talk to the typical boomer about investments and it’s very common for them to think that getting rich slowly is bullshit nonsense where you get bled dry. Either you get rich quick or you get poor (or die). How would they react to bitcoin not moving for 12mo?
Launchpads and ICOs are the new hot ticket. People just buying crypto and aiming for double digit gains per day, or whatever, is amateur hour. What the aim of the game now is to try and get in on some as-yet-unreleased "new hotness" thing, by basically paying a big enough membership price to be given the chance to win a portion of the ICO in a lottery, with the ultimate goal being that it increases in value exponentially once it gets released to the plebs. What is the point of any of these tokens? Doesn't matter. It's the hype that matters.

The entire architecture of all of this crap is hype. The problem is there seems to be no shortage of inflows of rubes who are - at least on the face of it - validating the whole thing.

Things can have disconnected value just because people believe in it, like art, but all this poo poo is depressing as gently caress.

As an aside I had a conversation with a close friend who is deep in all of this stuff, and he was telling me about some guy he follows on YouTube that pumps out videos every day who apparently is sitting on $38 million from a trade he did recently. I asked him why this guy would still be wasting his time begging for likes and subscribes for poxy YouTube monetisation when he could be on a boat somewhere? I didn't get an answer.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the major things about NFTs is how their buyers and proponents universally either don't know, refuse to acknowledge, or actively lie about what they actually do and how they work.

Don't forget the conspicuous consumption angle. Some people buy NFT's precisely because they're wasteful and stupid.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Durzel posted:

As an aside I had a conversation with a close friend who is deep in all of this stuff, and he was telling me about some guy he follows on YouTube that pumps out videos every day who apparently is sitting on $38 million from a trade he did recently. I asked him why this guy would still be wasting his time begging for likes and subscribes for poxy YouTube monetisation when he could be on a boat somewhere? I didn't get an answer.

$38M is enough money to live in luxury for life. Nice condos in several of the world's most expensive cities, $1000 meals multiple times a week, first class everything, etc. Invested properly, your children and grandchildren would never need to work.

Youtube pays about $1 per 1000 views.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you are doing stuff on DeFi platforms it is extremely easy to get trades that say "+$38 million" on your screen but will never ever be worth even a fraction of that amount.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

Is this why American schools are so obsessed with math? Because of the money connection? I only think this because I watched Mean Girls.

American's Math system is based on getting the kids who are intuitive with numbers to get them to know calculus to do physics and beat the Soviets.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mooseontheloose posted:

American's Math system is based on getting the kids who are intuitive with numbers to get them to know calculus to do physics and beat the Soviets.

In the space race.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Durzel posted:

even a dude with millions or billions in the bank can be desperate for the validation of others, look at elon musk on twitter

(this dude does definitely not have $38 million tho)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

HootTheOwl posted:

Well, no, because it's not the receipt, it's a receipt.
And it's not for the image. It's for a link to an image.

Lmao I forgot that you could make multiples

It’s just so loving stupid top to bottom, it’s only use is money laundering, full stop

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The national lottery in the UK does a game called Set For Life, where the winner receives £10k every month for 30 years. An incredible amount of money, yet it only actually equals £3.6m in total.

If I had $38 million I'd never give a poo poo what anyone thought about anything ever again.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Black Pants posted:

The funniest thing about the whole deal with NFTs being made of stolen art is that the normal response from cryptobros is to condemn the artist for not making their art NFTs themselves first.

Speaking of people into crypto/nfts not knowing anything about them, a little while back I saw some dumbass crypto twitter thread, with a particular tweet stating "Blockchains are special computers anyone can access but no one owns." Someone sane replied that computers are physical devices owned by someone on Earth, to which a loving mental master 'program manager at Microsoft' cryptobro responded saying, slightly paraphrased, "Computers don't need to be connected to physical hardware. Are abstract thoughts physical?"
Technically correct. Computers were women for a while and we aren't yet at the level of social decay where someone's gonna admit they owned them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Phlag posted:

Is there anything stopping me from creating a new NFT for that digital image and trying to pass it off as an original?

I assume it's something along the lines of, "NFTs are linked to their creator, and we know that you are not the original artist." But if you have to check with some centralized organization like OpenSea to validate if the NFT is authentic not, it seems to defeat the purpose.

Maybe I'm nitpicking and should focus on the more obvious flaws with NFTs, but I feel like even if you set those aside, the technology doesn't seem like it'd do a good job of tracking legitimate ownership.

You're right! There's nothing stopping people from making a NFT of something that's already had a NFT made of it by someone else. The only way to distinguish between them is go dig back through the ownership history to see the wallet address that created the NFT, and verify that it's the wallet address of the artist who originally drew the art.

Durzel posted:

He's not doing it for the YouTube monetization, he's doing it to con the rubes watching his YouTube videos into buying into poo poo that he will personally profit from. The first rule of investment advice is that if someone with a platform is telling you to invest in something, your investment in that something is going to benefit them, not you.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/100trillionUSD/status/1469252163776000004

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah all these meaningless graphs sure prove that you're not a dipshit

keep 'em comin'

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I thought it was $100k by EOY though? It's not even $100k on that graph by Feb 2022? Hey man, I've got 5 kids to feed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/patrickmbigger/status/1469106877745270790

Whoopsy daisy, just enriching white supremecists.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

it was already completely unconscionable without getting white supremacy involved

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Durzel posted:

I thought it was $100k by EOY though? It's not even $100k on that graph by Feb 2022? Hey man, I've got 5 kids to feed.
No, that's the other buttcoin moron who only posts in this thread. This is the moron who posts charts as though it means anything.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
If number go up that means number keep going up. SCIENCE.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
look it's just infinite free money for everyone who buys in, and if you don't believe that then *you* are the fuckin' moron

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

*throws a handful of cards that read “blockchain” and other buzzwords at you*

Well?? Are you still an absolute idiot or are you gonna buy my loving bitcoin

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
too good to be true? buddy just look at these lines i drew on a chart

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also it’s just about to take the gently caress off. Everyone knows it. Why hasn’t it already happened if everyone knows it? Well, heh, block chain decentralized satoshi—

*disappears in a monkey-shaped cloud of dust*

*from far away* don’t look at that cloud of dust, it’s my property I own it!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

zedprime posted:

Technically correct. Computers were women for a while and we aren't yet at the level of social decay where someone's gonna admit they owned them.

Until someone finds a way of putting women on the blockchain.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
What is it with bitcoiners and log graphs? Seems like the PlanB guy is using it to try and make it look like his predictions weren't frequently off by an order of magnitude.

In reality, Bitcoin is now pretty heavily correlated to the stock market:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1469300258425421824

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

kw0134 posted:

No, that's the other buttcoin moron who only posts in this thread. This is the moron who posts charts as though it means anything.

Oh. I've just been assuming that Ghosty and Salt Shakeup were the same person for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-de-lists-overwhelmingly-disliked-nft-announcement-video/

Lol. It's been two days and they are already walking back their NFT announcements.

Good.