Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Your average American would probably demand that we bring down the temple, but America's ruling class is an internationally connected bourgeois. They will be willing to accept a reduced role on the world stage if it means keeping the capital flows going, even if the public craves blood.

i'll bet on nuclear hellfire mostly because i would prefer death to the continuance of this cycle. which i guess between the two of us makes me the optimist lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In the case of the US, they would be the target of both the Chinese and the Russians…it wouldn’t end well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is one of the genuine fears I have about this country being a declining empire. We are deranged enough to take everyone else down with us.

yep i fear this too

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Serf posted:

i wouldn't underestimate the deep, psychotic superiority complex that grips the american political elite. being a dying empire with weapons of mass destruction will lead to millions, if not billions of lmaos

genericnick posted:

If you press the big red button you won't have to admit anything anymore.

why would you obliterate your own dragons hoard of wealth in nuclear fire. why. we are supposed to me materialists here goddammit stop being so neurotic

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Serf posted:

i'll bet on nuclear hellfire mostly because i would prefer death to the continuance of this cycle. which i guess between the two of us makes me the optimist lmao

if someone is giving you odds, always bet against global annihilation, there's no downside.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lady Militant posted:

why would you obliterate your own dragons hoard of wealth in nuclear fire. why. we are supposed to me materialists here goddammit stop being so neurotic

They are members of our government right now saying that nuclear first strike should be an option in case ukraine or taiwan get invaded.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

if someone is giving you odds, always bet against global annihilation, there's no downside.

no

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are members of our government right now saying that nuclear first strike should be an option in case ukraine or taiwan get invaded.

remember when jeremy corbyn got obliterated by a crowd of fat, red-faced drooling morons for saying he would not fire the nukes? the people crave death

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

ah, members of government

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

clearly you put your soldiers into rockets and then launch them across the channel and create a brand new sci-fi d-day

They should use the Chronosphere imo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of reddit-tier poo poo

im having a lot of trouble reading this as an antichina burn given that as far as i can tell the chinese educational system is way more critical of bad stuff in their past then any imperial power except maybe germany

like what would the equivalent united states bad thing be to tianemen square the main comparison i can think of is the rodney king riots and we sure as poo poo dont teach that in school

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thinking about how trumps unique crime during the george floyd protests that good republicans would never have done was think about deploying the national guard as told by people completely oblivious to the fact that george h w bush actually did deploy the national guard in response to the rodney king riots

i mean poo poo just the fact that we call them the rodney king riots at all is a pretty big loving clue we learned absolutely nothing from that experience

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

American history education is always framed in terms of its utility to civic nationalism. Whatever bad stuff gets covered about America's past is part of a growth narrative where America becomes the greatest good country that ever existed in the world.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Your average American would probably demand that we bring down the temple, but America's ruling class is an internationally connected bourgeois. They will be willing to accept a reduced role on the world stage if it means keeping the capital flows going, even if the public craves blood.

the international bourgeoisie is a stupid, fractured, inbred clique of pedophiles whose mystery cults worship the billions of death due to climate change yet to come

Doc Hawkins posted:

the entire american economy post-ww2 is increasingly predicated on an inability to stand down from war footing and face the depression that would result. the us has never not chosen war just like it has never not chosen climate destroying extraction. it strikes me as anti-historical idealism/cope to argue that ww3 isn’t the current trajectory of this timeline

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lol at selling a mobage. Also lol at a lot of this.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yes then you learn slavery is still legal per the god drat constitution.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

and i do not believe them in the slightest! if you put them in front of the button and said do it bitch all they would be able to think about is how pressing it means every single comfort they have enjoyed their entire lives is going away.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Maybe we can just have a little limited nuclear war and not kill everyone on the planet nuclear war

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nobodies firing nukes you dipshits, jesus.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is one of the genuine fears I have about this country being a declining empire. We are deranged enough to take everyone else down with us.

yeah my dad's reaction to being exposed to (but not in the end getting) covid and having to quarantine last year was telling me he wanted to nuke china

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Southpaugh posted:

this americans are the worlds biggest blowhards. oh yah dude you totally woulda beat that guy if your kids weren't here mhmmm. yeah.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

former us president donald j. trump famously inquired about the idea of dropping nukes, and dropped the largest non-nuclear weapon ever made in afghanistan “for the lols.” the very serious generals almost convince truman to drop nukes during the korean war. if you don’t think the us losing a “great power” battle, as it almost certainly would to china, couldn’t provoke a nuclear response, then perhaps it is you who should find jesus

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNFokmDKrE

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
The increduelity to nuclear war is pretty funny since don't we have plenty of stories of monarchs burning their cities and salting their lands so dirty invaders get nothing?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i mean i think it's highly unlikely, but even the relatively low probability of it happening is still p terrifying

like so many generals wanted to let nukes fly in korea or vietnam or during the cuban missile crisis &c — it's not out of the realm of possibility

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Femur posted:

The increduelity to nuclear war is pretty funny since don't we have plenty of stories of monarchs burning their cities and salting their lands so dirty invaders get nothing?

losing a fleet in the pacific is not the same as an invasion of the united states by the peoples liberation army dumbass

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Vladimir Putin Xi Jinping Joe Biden will turn the entire planet into radioactive dust for no particular reason. Next Tuesday.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Vladimir Putin Xi Jinping Joe Biden will turn the entire planet into radioactive dust for no particular reason. Next Tuesday.

Oh thank god, at least it will put an end to this tedious argument.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

joe biden attempts to press the big red button but his finger is dislocated and his hand falls off before he can apply enough pressure

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Lady Militant posted:

losing a fleet in the pacific is not the same as an invasion of the united states by the peoples liberation army dumbass

That depends on if they think the world is theirs or not doesn't it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm going to nuke america

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lady Militant posted:

hate crimes against asians are way up across the US over the flimsiest anti-Chinese propaganda, what kind of outcome do you think “losing a fleet” would engender?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

thinking about how trumps unique crime during the george floyd protests that good republicans would never have done was think about deploying the national guard as told by people completely oblivious to the fact that george h w bush actually did deploy the national guard in response to the rodney king riots

i mean poo poo just the fact that we call them the rodney king riots at all is a pretty big loving clue we learned absolutely nothing from that experience

Your point overall is right, but Trump was criticized for preparing active duty military to deploy. Which is something that was done in 1992 as well.

The real innovation was Bill Barr flying in federal prison guards to DC to put down protests

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1469362030813585408?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lady Militant posted:

The European empires did exactly that in WW1 though. Even if less spectacular.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Centrist Committee posted:

hate crimes against asians are way up across the US over the flimsiest anti-Chinese propaganda, what kind of outcome do you think “losing a fleet” would engender?

hate crimes against asians don't affect profit margins, nuclear strikes do.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

genericnick posted:

The European empires did exactly that in WW1 though. Even if less spectacular.

https://udba.org/marx.mp4

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lady Militant posted:

hate crimes against asians don't affect profit margins, nuclear strikes do.

the belt and road initiative providing resource-rich nations an alternative to US extraction at gunpoint is the kind of apocalyptic limit on capitalist expansion that historically led to the first two world wars

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do any schools not do defense research

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Centrist Committee posted:

the entire american economy post-ww2 is increasingly predicated on an inability to stand down from war footing and face the depression that would result. the us has never not chosen war just like it has never not chosen climate destroying extraction. it strikes me as anti-historical idealism/cope to argue that ww3 isn’t the current trajectory of this timeline

yeah, i know, but when that happens, you won't be able to collect any winnings from betting on it, and you won't care if you lost anything from betting against it: there's no downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A United States in decline would still have a sphere of influence to dominate, and that all goes away if you have a big sad and push the button.

what would be the diminished USA sphere of influence? south america?