Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Here's the third Great Barrington person I don't report much
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1468119973315100676?s=20

Julia Hartley Boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I like how when doomers in this thread are wrong (lol doomers are never wrong) it's harmless and does nothing except encourage caution, not that anyone is listening anyway

but when people like monica gandhi are wrong they're mass murderers

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

mod sassinator posted:

also holy loving poo poo this is WEIRD

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/10/fauci-says-omicron-specific-version-of-covid-19-vaccines-may-not-be-necessary/

so in the last 48 hours we have gone from the CEOs of every vaccine manufacturer explicitly saying "Yes we can and will make omicron boosters in 100 days, this is what we're good at let us get to work and we WILL fix it" to then saying "You know we don't think omicron boosters are necessary and are going to wait for more data before proceeding"

now Fauci is agreeing and saying maybe we don't need boosters

what the gently caress

something is up--the boosters are dead in the water folks. do not pin hopes on an omicron booster. they will never see the light of day

It's so mild that you don't even need a booster!

Andenno
May 1, 2009

bowser posted:

Good news on Delta, everyone!

Lol you got me. Started reading those without checking the date, and getting annoyed at the preemptive rosy tint. Hilarious to see history repeating. Do you have a set of these for early 2020 too?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

also holy loving poo poo this is WEIRD

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/10/fauci-says-omicron-specific-version-of-covid-19-vaccines-may-not-be-necessary/

so in the last 48 hours we have gone from the CEOs of every vaccine manufacturer explicitly saying "Yes we can and will make omicron boosters in 100 days, this is what we're good at let us get to work and we WILL fix it" to then saying "You know we don't think omicron boosters are necessary and are going to wait for more data before proceeding"

now Fauci is agreeing and saying maybe we don't need boosters

what the gently caress

something is up--the boosters are dead in the water folks. do not pin hopes on an omicron booster. they will never see the light of day

The worst part about this is that if we didn't have mRNA locked up to a couple of companies, the market solution bullshit that all the neoliberals worship might actually work, with somebody trying to grab marketshare by developing an omicron-specific booster.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

here's the new omicron data:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1040076/Technical_Briefing_31.pdf

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Brogeoisie posted:

What could this even mean?

Antigens Original Sin? The next worst thing to ADE lmao

Our body is going to be constantly pumping out antibodies that only worked for the previous strain and never bothering to upgrade to newer antibodies because it's just tooo much work man.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so basically exactly what delta had against the initial vaccine. How did that work out btw

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

NeonPunk posted:

Antigens Original Sin? The next worst thing to ADE lmao

Our body is going to be constantly pumping out antibodies that only worked for the previous strain and never bothering to upgrade to newer antibodies because it's just tooo much work man.

So potential for boosters to be increasingly useless so they are trying to get vaccine makers to walk back boosters is what you're saying.. lol.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Louisgod posted:

protection from death? infection? what?? which vaccine?!

You need to stop questioning the science.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Louisgod posted:

protection from death? infection? what?? which vaccine?!

doesn't matter, number is soothed and goes up

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1469030776247394313

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Brogeoisie posted:

variant specific mRNA boosters are not profitable and will NEVER be made at scale it seems

likely they've run the numbers and see for a public that only has 60% uptake of vaccines and even less uptake for boosters they'd have way too much trouble every year retooling and building new boosters while trying to forecast demand so they don't produce too much and have to throw them all away when the new one is out.

months and months ago all discussion of B.1.351 boosters disappeared from moderna and pfizer's quarterly earnings. they quietly shitcanned them

this is just a grand failure of mRNA tech at the hands of capitalism. it's more profitable for the company to keep making one single vaccine year after year than retool and make new ones, even if that actually is for the benefit of public health.

soooooo we get to see fauci and everyone build a case and run cover for them doing nothing and more people dying as a result

loving give Pfizer and Moderna an ultimatum TODAY... you make a variant specific booster in 100 DAYS like you claimed and promised you could, or you are NATIONALIZED at day 101, period. if we can't cash the check your mouth has been writing for the last two years then the company is going bye bye and the NIH is taking over

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's been great to see the dueling reality model of politics get copied exactly on epidemiology over the last two years

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

quote:

To date, there are no cases of Omicron which are reported as having been hospitalised or
died through routine reporting. As a result, it is not possible to compare the risk of
hospitalisation or death with other variants. However, it should be noted that most of the
cases have a specimen date that is very recent and that there is a lag between onset of
infection and hospitalisation and death. Future updates will assess severe outcomes from
Omicron cases against Delta cases from the same time period.

Oh word, you mean a few hundred cases that are all <2 weeks since testing positive and mostly under 65 years old aren't a good sample for assessing severity? Why didn't someone say something!

Let's see how long it takes for the media to use this report as further evidence that Omicron is "mild."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyway death to america, only your respirator trust

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

mod sassinator posted:

loving give Pfizer and Moderna an ultimatum TODAY... you make a variant specific booster in 100 DAYS like you claimed and promised you could, or you are NATIONALIZED at day 101, period. if we can't cash the check your mouth has been writing for the last two years then the company is going bye bye and the NIH is taking over

and then the leprechauns show up on my doorstep to hand me a pot of gold

i mean, as long as we're fantasizing here

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Foo Diddley posted:

and then the leprechauns show up on my doorstep to hand me a pot of hella good drugs

i mean, as long as we're fantasizing here

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Brogeoisie posted:

who knows. but we should make sure to pay attention to the right things

quote:

But “what I think is something that we need to keep our eye on [is] it could be that things turn out better than we expected.”

lol

quote:

But the neutralizing capacity of blood drawn from people who had been vaccinated after having had a Covid infection told a different story. “When you looked at people who were vaccinated and infected, they did pretty well. And to me, vaccinated and infected is equivalent to getting boosted,” Fauci said.

don't worry about boosters, but fauci thinks you'll be doing yourself a favor if you get infected! you'll do pretty well and you'll be boosting yourself on your own!

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

It's supposedly 70-75% against symptomatic infection according to a BBC alert I got. Doesn't mention which brand of booster, only that AZ and Pfizer are poo poo at two doses.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

:worship:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Death Panel Czar posted:

so glad there's a bunch of braphogs throwing a christmas

A bunch of what now?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cloaked posted:

who knows. but we should make sure to pay attention to the right things

lol

don't worry about boosters, but fauci thinks you'll be doing yourself a favor if you get infected! you'll do pretty well and you'll be boosting yourself on your own!

:shuckyes: Airborne booster.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

so uh, if we're never getting omiboosters what are politicians and wealthy people going to do to protect themselves?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

so uh, if we're never getting omiboosters what are politicians and wealthy people going to do to protect themselves?

Pfizer pill ought to help.

Moderna cancer pills for everyone else.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Wrex Ruckus posted:

treatments the rest of us can't afford

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Wrex Ruckus posted:

who do you think is getting the 700,000 doses of effective astrazeneca monoclonals?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

NYC positive test rate looking good:

State Island near-uniformly 8%, scuttle the ferries.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

*accidentally kills rest of Worms team*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wrex Ruckus posted:

live a protected life--loving j.lo rented an entire private island and flew her whole friend group out to party on it last christmas. more money just lets you pay other people to take all the risks for you.

if you do have to go out into the public or risky areas the pfizer pills can prophylacticlly protect you IIRC. there are only something like 70k doses of these available right now apparently lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

[COVID] holy ghost hand grenade 100% effective against omicron (CONFIRMED)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A miracle she could count to 3 before lobbing it

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

mod sassinator posted:

live a protected life--loving j.lo rented an entire private island and flew her whole friend group out to party on it last christmas. more money just lets you pay other people to take all the risks for you.

if you do have to go out into the public or risky areas the pfizer pills can prophylacticlly protect you IIRC. there are only something like 70k doses of these available right now apparently lol

https://twitter.com/lolzlindz/status/1322878899613827073

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fosborb posted:

[COVID] holy ghost hand grenade 100% effective against omicron (CONFIRMED)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Karl Barks posted:

I think you're a cathaginian

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

NYC positive test rate looking good:

State Island near-uniformly 8%, scuttle the ferries.

Build a big beautiful wall around Staten Island and make them pay for it!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Louisgod posted:

*accidentally kills rest of Worms team*

the OG dewormer

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

for those not reading the data directly here's a summary thread

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1469351833416122369

2x Az + Pf booster is 99% of the vuln population in the uk given vaccine rollout was group based btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I try not to think about how there are hundreds of millions of people who would watch this video and not immediately recognize the incredible idiocy on display