Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

jodai posted:

It's so hard to pick specific albums but I don't think you can go wrong with Kyle Kinane. I really like David Cross' "Shut up you loving baby" but it's a nostalgia thing, I don't think it aged well. Hannibal Buress' "My Name is Hannibal" still makes me laugh and pretty much any Tig Notaro, though I usually only listen to Live with other people who haven't heard it before(and want to hear it, I'm not trying to force anything on anyone).

Kinane's entire discography is killer. He straight crushes live and he always brings a really great opener. Seen him twice and he brought Jim Tews and Sam Tallent, both of whom are loving killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Riptor posted:

I am. My name is Jim Breuer and I AM NOT A SHEEP

I am a goat however

All right, this one was good lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
He approves!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Alright, now it's your turn! Better be worth it!

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
He sounds like a nA-A-A-A-zi (goat bleat)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Hedberg’s first two are absolute bangers.

I still love Shut Up, You loving Baby. That first half is soooo good, and I’m always appreciative of hearing that voice in a post-9/11 Bush presidency. “Getaflageveryoneshouldhaveflags”

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If Gabriel wants to rollerblade, Gabriel ROLLERBLADES

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Low-key one of my favorite parts of SUYFB is the track listing that has absolutely nothing to do with the bits on the album.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
David Cross definitely had a lot of bits back then that wouldn't really work with how fast dumb internet poo poo travels now. Like the square bagels bit for instance.

Anyway, I could go for a squagel right now. ITS SQUARE YOU gently caress.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s Not Funny has the electric scissors bit which comes to mind all the time when I think about a “convenience.”

“But I used electric scissors!”

Just all these bullshit gadgets and whatnot that amount to nothing!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Chappelle went to a high school to do a Q&A about his special, tailed by a camera crew (the kids had to lock their phones away). Telling kids you're more successful than they are is a real Dennis Reynolds move.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584?t=8h-OqeAVA3jnNXKM5vAd1A&s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Chappelle went to a high school to do a Q&A about his special, tailed by a camera crew (the kids had to lock their phones away). Telling kids you're more successful than they are is a real Dennis Reynolds move.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584?t=8h-OqeAVA3jnNXKM5vAd1A&s=19

What bothers me most about the pullquotes is that a couple of them make it sound like he really thinks he's doing a good thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think he thinks that. He's wrong, but I think he really does think he is doing a good thing

terf brainworms are a powerful drug

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s stuck in a cycle of clearing things up from the last thing he did, which was supposed to clear things up. I look forward to his full page ad in a newspaper to clear this high school Q&A up.

Who knew Chappelle going into a comedy exodus was going to be one of the better things he did for his career.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I love these kids so much man the death threats aren't ok, now let me set up a bunch for more death threats.

I'm a very caring and successful person.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have to hand it to Chapelle, the man is really making me appreciate Patton Oswalt so much more for his "you know what, I was the rear end in a top hat" self-awareness after 2016 and getting heat for going full lib-scold for a bit.

If you never heard that, this interview with Street Fight Radio is a good conversation and just refreshing to hear a guy explain how he illogiced himself into a bad position and what it feels like when everyone starts railing at you for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/1464698582125080577?s=20

https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/1464816679838314506?s=20

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This person should contact whomever owns the distribution rights to their albums, not @spotify

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
No, it's Spotify. Apparently there's a class action suit (or threatened suit) around how spoken word artists and comedians get paid, so Spotify is paying hardball.

https://twitter.com/roywoodjr/status/1466206276191506432?t=jE4BLY78BuL6AOmEgxrGAw&s=19

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

secretly best girl posted:

If you never heard that, this interview with Street Fight Radio is a good conversation and just refreshing to hear a guy explain how he illogiced himself into a bad position and what it feels like when everyone starts railing at you for it.

Finally got around to listening to this and Patton drops a bombshell 10 minutes in saying that he used to be a fan of The Greaseman.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's some prime forced laughter in this one.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1469331280907149319?t=8f58ebeymQogWjSnVjxAjA&s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

lol the classic setup of "You know this thing? These people are like that!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hopefully the Jim Breuer Defender will log on once more.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hopefully the Jim Breuer Defender will log on once more.

You called? What's up man?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Odddzy posted:

You called? What's up man?

he's still poo poo

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Riptor posted:

he's still poo poo

ok

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Cucked by Bobcat, lol.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://joepera.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Seth-Meyers-Full-Set.mp4

Goddamn, y'all, I love Joe Pera so much.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Thanks for sharing. He’s great.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Any San Fran people in this thread? I had an upcoming trip to the bay get cancelled and have some non-refundable (But transferable) tickets to see Todd Barry at Cobb's (Sunday 1/9) if anyone is interested and will actually use them.

Respond here or PM if so.

Edit - nope. Show postponed.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 31, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New Sean Patton album is out. It's realgood so far.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Got my tickets to see Stanhope in March. I've seen him 4 or 5 times before and he's always great. I'm stoked

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Fame Douglas posted:

This person should contact whomever owns the distribution rights to their albums, not @spotify

The issue is, music artists who write and perform their music get paid at two different rates, but they get paid for both holding the rights to their original works, and performing them. If someone else wrote a song, but you performed it, you would get paid for the performance, and the rights holder of the original song would get paid for your performance of their material.

The comedians want the same structure, but as it stands, they only get paid for performance. Spotify is notorious for pulling albums when artists demand payment. The comedians affected aren't even trying to make millions, they just want to be paid fairly for their works that most of them didn't even realize they had a right to be paid for.

Musicians have been paid as such for decades, it stands to reason stand up comedians on a label should as well. I think Spotify's reaction is a procedure they use to get the best possible deal for themselves when negotiating. "We will pay X amount, or else you won't be on our platform, take it or leave it."

I'm sure they knew full well they owed artists back pay, but weren't going to say poo poo until they could strong arm the artists into less than favorable terms.

This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth with Spotify, as comedians usually make less than minimum wage on touring alone. Which is why most usually have supplemental income via podcasts, acting, commercials, etc. Musicians on the other hand make waaaay more with touring and merch than a comedian would usually ever see in a lifetime of standup.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These comedians are all represented by the same label (Spoken Giant), which is trying to get their contract with Spotify renewed but at better terms for them. I assume very few people subscribe to Spotify to listen to some repetitive comedian, so they didn't accept.

Spotify is under no obligation to contract comedians at terms only they deem fair.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 28, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder what the source % income split is for comedians, and how it’s changed over the last decade as these services become more popular. Unless you’re really up there, pretty much everything now must be centered around ticket sales for live performances and with that being on hold last year… drat. Like, at least bands have good merch sales.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bands also have options like Bandcamp, which had Bandcamp Friday's last year where they took 0% of a cut from any sales. I'm surprised that when stuff like this comes up, there isn't more of a discussion about Bandcamp. Yeah, it's not streaming but also it seems to be so much more ethical all around.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

These comedians are all represented by the same label (Spoken Giant), which is trying to get their contract with Spotify renewed but at better terms for them. I assume very few people subscribe to Spotify to listen to some repetitive comedian, so they didn't accept.

Spotify is under no obligation to contract comedians at terms only they deem fair.

It's not just about terms they deem fair, it's about being paid the same way musicians are, which is legally required, and recognizing stand up comedy as potent an art form as music. It's not simply a contract renewal, it's about restructuring how billion dollar streaming companies pay the people who are on their platforms.

It's not just one label either, 800lb Gorilla is also involved.

Here is a quote from Lewis Black that illustrates the point trying to be made:

Lewis Black posted:

“I in no way represent all of the comedians on Spotify but I do believe that all of them should be paid for the writing that they have done and not just for the performance of what they wrote. It has taken a long time for comedy to be recognized as an art form. Therefore, Spotify should recognize that a joke is as powerful as a lyric of a song, which they do pay for. … I need neither the money nor the exposure, but please put all of the comedians back on your platform and let’s sit down and find a way to pay us what we are owed for the words that make you laugh. Yes, a joke is intellectual property.”

I completely agree with him, and I don't think this issue should be dismissed out of hand. The record labels representing these comedians don't have the pull like major music labels do, unfortunately. I get that Spotify has a right to pull the albums, but they need to recognize that comedy is just as important of an art form as music. They could have been a pioneer and helped reshape an industry, but instead they took their ball and went home, which is a bad look and will do nothing but hurt their image. I can't imagine why a billion dollar company would do that willingly in this day and age.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because they have a room full of people who can run analytics and tell them that in the long run, that’s the decision that works out best for them. It’s lovely for sure, but Spotify have never been a company that runs on good ethics and there’s no reason to believe that will ever change as long as this brings in the most profit.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That's just it, this could end up costing them hundreds of millions of dollars, and damaging their reputation. Copyrights are copyrights. Writing the jokes and performing them are two separate copyrights, one of which Spotify paid for, the other they have not. As soon as 800lb Gorilla and Spoken Giant started speaking up about how their artists got paid, they shut just them down.

I just think this is a really naive and shortsighted move by them that could irreparably damage their company. They've framed this move in such a way that it's become completely disingenuous. They realized they were hosed as soon as this got brought up, then said gently caress it, pull it all.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I just think this is a really naive and shortsighted move by them that could irreparably damage their company.

lol that's not going to happen