Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

what would be the diminished USA sphere of influence? south america?

Still have a foothold in central Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Lostconfused posted:

Still have a foothold in central Africa.

Ah yes, the rare Virgin/Chad venn diagram-as-circle

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:
this guy gets it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rutibex posted:

this guy gets it

in the book Touch and Feel Playtime there is a picture of a toddler playing with a toy dinosaur making this exact face

Feel the Party's scientific ideology! Roar!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We just need our mojo back. China has their Battle at Lake Changjin, why not an American movie about a time we beat the Chinese at something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

this guy gets it

Whats funny is that there is a guy up front laughing. Which is making me think that its a part of the cadence where you are supposed to shout or say something cringy and 99% of the time you just pull fake motivation to do

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

i've also heard that dozens of chinese universities maintain ties to american universities that conduct defense research in support of Washington's military buildup.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

These guys rule

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is one of the genuine fears I have about this country being a declining empire. We are deranged enough to take everyone else down with us.

Oh this is 100% going to happen. America is global family annihilator, if we can't have it no one can

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lot of commentary on Lt. O Face but where's the love for that guy in the lower right clearly living his best life

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chinese universities have ties to dozens of US universities whose research helps the US military, including the US nuclear weapons program.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

China is facing a demographic crisis with an ageing population and declining birthrates. More than 18% of the population is aged over 60, according to the 2020 census. Figures released by the country’s national bureau of statistics in November showed there were 8.5 births per 1,000 people in 2020, the first time in decades that the figure has fallen below 10. In 1978, the figure was more than 18 per 1,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/10/china-editorial-says-communist-party-members-must-have-three-children

the CCP thirst for genocidal blood knows no bounds, they're so committed to evil they're even genociding themselves lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Spergin Morlock posted:

Chinese universities have ties to dozens of US universities whose research helps the US military, including the US nuclear weapons program.

Never forget that it all starts in the heartland. Fort Detrick, Maryland

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Leadership in America is rock bottom right now. While it is unlikely that even the dumbest people in our government would engage in a nuclear exchange, I would not discount it as an impossibility.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Leadership in America is rock bottom right now. While it is unlikely that even the dumbest people in our government would engage in a nuclear exchange, I would not discount it as an impossibility.

yeah but will the nukes even work?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rutibex posted:

yeah but will the nukes even work?

Ive been wondering this for decades

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Obama spent like 300 billion on refreshing them so probably

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

going out to the silo at defcon 2 only to find every missile up on cinder blocks, thrusters missing

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Buck Wildman posted:

lol I get it

My lad :nice:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

they don't test the nuke designs any more though, they do computer simulations. imagine the nukes are being designed by the same lady that was designing the nuclear subs and didn't bother to test the steel hull material because she couldn't be bothered and no one would ever check

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59186655

quote:

A metallurgist in the US state of Washington has pleaded guilty to fraud after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make Navy submarines.

Prosecutors say Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, gave false positive readings for strength and toughness tests in at least 240 cases between 1985 and 2017.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

genericnick posted:

If you press the big red button you won't have to admit anything anymore.

https://youtu.be/P7YR6WICIAI

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Clashes of civilization? More like clashes a helicopter into the side of a mountain.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're constantly refreshing them.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2020/03/f72/doe-fy2021-budget-volume-1_2.pdf

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

say what you will but Nuke Fluffer is definitely an attention grabber on a resume

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Buck Wildman posted:

going out to the silo at defcon 2 only to find every missile up on cinder blocks, thrusters missing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

they don't test the nuke designs any more though, they do computer simulations. imagine the nukes are being designed by the same lady that was designing the nuclear subs and didn't bother to test the steel hull material because she couldn't be bothered and no one would ever check

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59186655

That's why the current testing facility is being upgraded.

https://www.nnss.gov/pages/facilities/U1aComplex.html

quote:

The U1a Complex is an underground laboratory used for subcritical experiments and physics experiments to obtain technical information about the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile. These experiments support the NNSA’s Stockpile Stewardship Program, created to maintain the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile.

https://www.lanl.gov/discover/news-release-archive/2019/February/0215-advanced-sources-detector-project.php

quote:

The U1a underground laboratory, located at the NNSS, will be substantially modified (under the U1a Complex Enhancements Project, or UCEP, another element of ECSE) to make way for ECSE's ASD and a measurement apparatus called Neutron Diagnosed Subcritical Experiments (NDSE), a new approach to making measurements that haven’t been acquired since the cessation of underground testing

“The ASD radiographic capability will be used to examine the late-time behavior of plutonium in high-explosive driven experiments," said Dave Funk, Project Director for the ASD Project at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

ASD, which will be housed in the underground U1a facility at the NNSS, is projected to be available for subcritical experiment execution in the 2025 time-frame.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
after the last few decades of world events why would any sane country give up or fail to maintain their nuclear stockpile? Corbyn can be criticized not because he felt deeply that were he in a position to do so, he wouldn’t fire the missiles, but because he told the world that he wouldn’t, which defeats the entire point of having nuclear missiles. the entire point of a doomsday device is lost if you tell everyone before hand you won’t use it.

I need to update my av to dr. strangelove

Torpor has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Dec 10, 2021

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

after the last few decades of world events why would any sane country give up or fail to maintain their nuclear stockpile? Corbin can be criticized not because he felt deeply that were he in a position to do so, he wouldn’t fire the missiles, but because he told the world that he wouldn’t, which defeats the entire point of having nuclear missiles. the entire point of a doomsday device is lost if you tell everyone before hand you won’t use it.

"sane country"

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Serf posted:

"sane country"

nobody likes it but it’s true! you know it is

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

nobody likes it but it’s true! you know it is

i mean i remember reading stories about how some pizza guy just wandered into a nuclear launch facility because someone ordered pizza and propped the door open for him. also a story about the air force just leaving a pallet of nuclear-tipped rockets on a runway for weeks without noticing it. as much as i'd bet on nuclear war, i'd also bet it is very stupid

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Torpor posted:

after the last few decades of world events why would any sane country give up or fail to maintain their nuclear stockpile? Corbyn can be criticized not because he felt deeply that were he in a position to do so, he wouldn’t fire the missiles, but because he told the world that he wouldn’t, which defeats the entire point of having nuclear missiles. the entire point of a doomsday device is lost if you tell everyone before hand you won’t use it.

I need to update my av to dr. strangelove

on moderate rebels ben norton floated the nuclear (heh) take that russia is going to arm central america with nukes. max walked it back but I choose to believe this is canon anyway

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

genericnick posted:

lol at selling a mobage. Also lol at a lot of this.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Serf posted:

i mean i remember reading stories about how some pizza guy just wandered into a nuclear launch facility because someone ordered pizza and propped the door open for him. also a story about the air force just leaving a pallet of nuclear-tipped rockets on a runway for weeks without noticing it. as much as i'd bet on nuclear war, i'd also bet it is very stupid

My favourite was the Air Force base with no TV or beer where the soldiers would have fun by putting the nuclear warheads on forklifts and using them to play Chicken

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

How dare they!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

on moderate rebels ben norton floated the nuclear (heh) take that russia is going to arm central america with nukes. max walked it back but I choose to believe this is canon anyway

I'm not a fan of Bukele being able to press the launch button, but I will defend El Salvador's right as a sovereign country to develop weapons for protection

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hedenius posted:

How dare they!

fondly remembering learning that china was a part of the allied powers in axis powers hetalia of all stupid places because my superior critical thinking western education neglected to mention that japan invaded china while acting like every single person in france was a part of the resistance

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hedenius posted:

How dare they!

Ah yes, China, which wasn't a participant in WW2...

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
The world in WW2 actually means America

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's like 6 or 7 years old now.