Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any head to head comparisons between a 2022 Civic Sport (hatch ofc) vs the Si?

I’m extrmely tempted to trade in my lumbering Outback 3.6r for a sporty whip, and I loved my 9th gen Si coupe to pieces, but i had to haul poo poo and friends too often to justify that body style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Head Bee Guy posted:

Are there any head to head comparisons between a 2022 Civic Sport (hatch ofc) vs the Si?

I’m extrmely tempted to trade in my lumbering Outback 3.6r for a sporty whip, and I loved my 9th gen Si coupe to pieces, but i had to haul poo poo and friends too often to justify that body style.

I don't have a link handy, but that savagegeese youtube did back to back Civic sport hatch to not-hatch Si comparisons in video form

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KakerMix posted:

I don't have a link handy, but that savagegeese youtube did back to back Civic sport hatch to not-hatch Si comparisons in video form

yeah, they said the Sport felt pretty flabby and soft compared to the Si. The gearing and transmission feel are pretty different too. They really liked the Si.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

KakerMix posted:

Hey we've got a wagon:

God drat these V60's are gorgeous.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wagons are my favorite so I would really like wagons to be considered hatches and visa versa.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
That V60 is sweet as hell and I'm mildly jealous.

The above mentioned savagegeese videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDo8WwT1VE 2022 Civic Hatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkW0Fr5KGf0 2022 Civic SI

I really do like the look of the SI and think about that, but I have lots of random daydreams about what car I'd like next.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I really do like the look of the SI and think about that, but I have lots of random daydreams about what car I'd like next.

GR Corolla

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What was the last Golf R without dealbreaking flaws? I might need something AWD to rust up in the winter.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Since we are posting wagon content:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What was the last Golf R without dealbreaking flaws? I might need something AWD to rust up in the winter.

7.5 probably, infotainment in the mk8 makes it a no go

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Looks good. Got a 3 stage lined up or still planning some alternate madness?

IMO the 3 stage is worth it if you can pick one up cheap.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nah, honestly I'll probably just keep my GTI for the long term. As much as i want to get something new like the BRZ, SI, etc... I don't really have a good reason to switch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Nah, honestly I'll probably just keep my GTI for the long term. As much as i want to get something new like the BRZ, SI, etc... I don't really have a good reason to switch.

I mean have you looked at the specs of the GR Corolla? I want it for the trick AWD system alone.

Also, maybe this reflects some weird and lazy biases and stereotyping on my part, but if we’re going to go into the EV age with this crop of hot hatches as the last of the breed for Secula Seculorum then I’d much rather have Toyota or Honda reliability than VW.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My neighbor has a new Corolla Hatch SE and it's really ugly in my opinion, also the hatch opening is significantly smaller than the GTI and the interior also looks a lot smaller. I'm sure it's fun to drive, but doesn't seem as practical. One thing I love about the GTI is the interior and I kind of doubt Toyota will match it. Also the 2019 GTI had a six year warranty, so no reason to worry about reliability for me specifically. I wonder if you can even buy the new corolla gr when it comes out, so many cars don't even make it to the lot before they are sold these days.

I'm going to test drive one though, I have been looking around at cars recently since mine is worth so much and it has been fun. I drove an RS5 yesterday I can't stop thinking about.

Edit: Also the 2.0 turbo in the GTI is in so many VAG products, it's about as reliable as it gets.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rusty posted:

My neighbor has a new Corolla Hatch SE and it's really ugly in my opinion, also the hatch opening is significantly smaller than the GTI and the interior also looks a lot smaller. I'm sure it's fun to drive, but doesn't seem as practical. One thing I love about the GTI is the interior and I kind of doubt Toyota will match it. Also the 2019 GTI had a six year warranty, so no reason to worry about reliability for me specifically. I wonder if you can even buy the new corolla gr when it comes out, so many cars don't even make it to the lot before they are sold these days.

I'm going to test drive one though, I have been looking around at cars recently since mine is worth so much and it has been fun. I drove an RS5 yesterday I can't stop thinking about.

Edit: Also the 2.0 turbo in the GTI is in so many VAG products, it's about as reliable as it gets.

yes and it fails in a lot of them.

Agreed on the GTI historically always being a lovely piece of design and fit/finish, especially Mk 7 (especially the 7.5). I test drove a bunch this summer. The FiST is as far as possible from it as it gets, but it ultimately came down to the drive and cost, and what stock was actually available and for how much, for me.

I’ve talked about it before here ad nauseum but I wasn’t going to pay $24k for a used car from 2017 with barely any warranty coverage left, if any.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes and it fails in a lot of them.

Agreed on the GTI historically always being a lovely piece of design and fit/finish, especially Mk 7 (especially the 7.5). I test drove a bunch this summer. The FiST is as far as possible from it as it gets, but it ultimately came down to the drive and cost, and what stock was actually available and for how much, for me.

I’ve talked about it before here ad nauseum but I wasn’t going to pay $24k for a used car from 2017 with barely any warranty coverage left, if any.
Yeah, the prices of GTIs and Rs are just insane right now. I looked for an R and a 2019 with low miles is 4k over what they were new. 24k for a 2017 is what I paid new for a 2019, so yeah, it's crazy. It's one of the reasons I am car shopping right now, it feels like I am just leaving money on the table if I don't take advantage of the offer from carvana.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ThirstyBuck posted:

Looks good. Got a 3 stage lined up or still planning some alternate madness?

IMO the 3 stage is worth it if you can pick one up cheap.

Thanks! I have not decided on 3SIM yet, my KWs should arrive in the next month or so and then the full suspension will be redone with most of the M3 conversion bits. I have a euro intake as well. I am leaning toward probably shifting to interior stuff (like the black msport upper pieces or getting an upholsterer to recover in alcantera) as I think I am getting pretty set on finding a donor M3 for a swap to truly do AI poo poo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rusty posted:

I went with a corolla hb se after test driving everything. Everything you say is pretty true. I think the interior is very nice for a ~20k out the door car, and like the button layout, analog tach/spedo w/ small display a lot. The seats are comfortable.

If I didn't already have a 4runner, I would find the interior space annoyingly restricting. It's a less usable hatch than our 04 Prius way. we got a queen frame in that thing lol. couldn't dream of that in the corolla.

I am pumped on the GR and considering a financial mistake. The chasis if fun to toss around, and that GR drive train would make it real fun.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

no lube so what posted:

I went with a corolla hb se after test driving everything. Everything you say is pretty true. I think the interior is very nice for a ~20k out the door car, and like the button layout, analog tach/spedo w/ small display a lot. The seats are comfortable.
I'll just amend what I said a bit. I don't find it ugly, I am exaggerating a bit, I just don't find it as attractive as the 7.5 Golf. For 20k it's a cool hatch and I think the headlights have a nice look. I like most hatches (and the cool wagons in this thread!) far more than SUVs.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rusty posted:

I'll just amend what I said a bit. I don't find it ugly, I am exaggerating a bit, I just don't find it as attractive as the 7.5 Golf. For 20k it's a cool hatch and I think the headlights have a nice look. I like most hatches (and the cool wagons in this thread!) far more than SUVs.

It's all good. Styling wasn't our primary focus. It was a Prius replacement. Between cost to buy, insurance, naturally aspirated, Toyota, mpg etc etc etc it checked off every cheap bastard box I have while still delivering a fun grocery getter. I don't hate its looks but wouldn't have been the first choice for aesthetics.

Dynamically its fun. Even with the super soft oem suspension & all seasons, its super easy to carry momentum. The power band is ~3.5k-6k, so it likes the heavy foot.

By far my biggest complaint is pedal placement. hard to heel toe with my foot. The rev matching is good for fun driving but not awesome on up shifts. My other gripe would the volume button on my steering wheel feels flimsier than just about anything in the whole interior. annoying to interact with it all the time.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

So far my Mk7 GTI has been great, the only thing I'd really think about moving onto is a BRZ/GR86 or a new Civic SI, though that V60 has me thinking thoughts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So far my Mk7 GTI has been great, the only thing I'd really think about moving onto is a BRZ/GR86 or a new Civic SI, though that V60 has me thinking thoughts.

Have to buy used now as Volvo no longer will sell you a plain wagon as of 2021. Either it's the cross country (gross) or the hybrid which they sometimes call Polestar but other times don't? It rules but is also far more expensive than the plain V60s and doesn't have any fun colors.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Lunchables posted:

7 and 7.5 are great

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Anybody driven the turbo Mazda3 hatch?

Still want to get in one, but as far as design that visibility looks bad. Like Camaro bad. That, the cheap suspension, vanilla transmission almost cancel out the AWG and turbo. But the price point is pretty nice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Still want to get in one, but as far as design that visibility looks bad. Like Camaro bad. That, the cheap suspension, vanilla transmission almost cancel out the AWG and turbo. But the price point is pretty nice.

it’s not nearly as good as the civic

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Styles Bitchley posted:

We don't get the turbo but I've driven the normal one a bunch and didn't think visibility was much worse than my 3rd gen. That's not to says it's great, just not as bad as it looks like it'll be.

The car does feel very closed in though, I think partly because the headliner is so dark (dumb idea on a smaller car)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
In retrospect, how was the mazdaspeed 3?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

In retrospect, how was the mazdaspeed 3?

Fantastic with some caveats. You really needed to upgrade the HPFP and motor mounts immediately regardless of how you intended to drive the car. Also rear camber arms. I miss my second gen all the time even though I strongly suspect it wanted to murder me.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I briefly had a first generation MS3, and it launched piston and rod chunks out the side of the block at ~115,000 miles of someone else commuting in it, and it had some rear wheel well rust in a state with no salt on the roads. After it blew up, I looked at the Mazda forums, and it sounds like it isn't too unusual for them to pop. Other than that, I liked it.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

MourningGlory posted:

Fantastic with some caveats. You really needed to upgrade the HPFP and motor mounts immediately regardless of how you intended to drive the car. Also rear camber arms. I miss my second gen all the time even though I strongly suspect it wanted to murder me.

Why are those upgrades necessary?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You at least want to do the rear mount. The OEM mount is so soft that engine movement under hard acceleration would lock you out of the next gear sometimes.

I never did the fuel pump on mine though it was 99% stock.

And add me to the list of those who miss theirs. Good luck finding a clean one these days.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

A friend of mine has a clean stock low-mileage first gen in red. I should convince him to sell it in this wild market, bet he’d get great money for it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

A friend of mine has a clean stock low-mileage first gen in red. I should convince him to sell it in this wild market, bet he’d get great money for it.

If the Mazda dealer ever returns my car, I'll be selling my 2009 MS3 GT with ~104k miles in the near future.

Debating if I go the Cars and Bids route or just sell it locally on Craigslist or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MetaJew posted:

If the Mazda dealer ever returns my car, I'll be selling my 2009 MS3 GT with ~104k miles in the near future.

Debating if I go the Cars and Bids route or just sell it locally on Craigslist or something.

don’t you want to talk to Doug?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ok Comboomer posted:

don’t you want to talk to Doug?

Do I have to? I'd rather not.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

Why are those upgrades necessary?

Mazda under-specced the flow rate of the HPFP under certain conditions, mostly low rpm / high load, like passing on the highway in 6th gear and getting into boost. The HPFP couldn't flow enough fuel and you'd get detonation / LSPI, sometimes bad enough to grenade the motor.

All 3 motor mounts were too soft but in particular the rear mount was way too soft and it allowed for a huge amount of drivetrain movement. It made it very difficult to take off smoothly, shift during hard acceleration and it caused wheelhop as well. It was bad enough that I honestly don't know how the car left the factory that way.

The car was notorious for eating up rear tires due to too much rear camber and there wasn't enough adjustment in the factory camber arms to correct it. The only solution was aftermarket arms. (I may be slightly misremembering the details on this one; I'm old and it's been a few years)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
took the FiST on its first IKEA run

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MourningGlory posted:

Mazda under-specced the flow rate of the HPFP under certain conditions, mostly low rpm / high load, like passing on the highway in 6th gear and getting into boost. The HPFP couldn't flow enough fuel and you'd get detonation / LSPI, sometimes bad enough to grenade the motor.

If this is a DI motor then regardless of fuel pump spec I’m pretty sure you should never be overtaking in 6th on the highway, that’s definitely LSPI danger territory for small displacement turbocharged engines from everything I’ve read, and doing this kind of thing is very often implicated in the failures we’ve seen in the Fiesta ST in Australia.

It’s like people don’t understand what gears are even for.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

took the FiST on its first IKEA run

You could have fit more! More!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice! No pics sadly, but I crammed all the lumber needed to rebuild my deck stairs into the GTI the other day. Had to take my circular saw and do some cutting in the Lowes parking lot to make it work, but I made it happen.