Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tarnop posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended those GeoWizard straight line walks videos. They've been a welcome distraction over the course of a rough few days

Mission Across Wales 3 drops in a few days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jippa posted:

I got into doing geoguessr through randomly watching one of his straight line vids. He's a really nice guy. Quite the opposite to your average youtuber.

He's kinda disturbingly sound isn't he. Makes me suspicious.

To my shame I still watch bald and bankrupt because he is fearless and goes to genuinely cool places you wouldn't see otherwise and actually chats to locals. He always had kinda shady, seedy sex tourist energy but apparently he's a full on alt right weirdo and former PUA, and now I know that I'm seeing a lot of with hindsight red flags in his videos. I used to think he genuinely loved the USSR, now I feel he's revelling in the ruins of it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I dunno, I watched the Norway straight line one and the guy is entertaining and seems sound but it just puts me off a bit that he puts himself in danger like that. I prefer the "See the world" bikepacking vids I linked because they're more chill and natural and also he meets new people and stuff.

Not to say he never does anything a little stupid.

Still, I'll probably watch more of the straight lines vids.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

WhatEvil posted:

I dunno, I watched the Norway straight line one and the guy is entertaining and seems sound but it just puts me off a bit that he puts himself in danger like that.

That's literally the best part

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

WhatEvil posted:

I dunno, I watched the Norway straight line one and the guy is entertaining and seems sound but it just puts me off a bit that he puts himself in danger like that. I prefer the "See the world" bikepacking vids I linked because they're more chill and natural and also he meets new people and stuff.

I would highly recommend his videos where he hitchhikes through Europe. I forget what that series is called, but he meets some genuinely nice people that want to help out. It’s very :kimchi:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

That's literally the best part

*commentary added in post*
"and I now know that this was a peat bog..."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah the guy is a legit pua scumbag who goes to poor areas, accidentally lets slip that he’s super rich to the babushkas and men, then gets young girls thrown at him with the hopes of marriage. Obviously he fucks them then runs. He was also on trial for rape a few years ago and got off basically on a technicality, as so often happens. You meet guys like that in Eastern Europe, fetishising babushkas and gopniks and Soviet poo poo and generally being skeezy with women and honestly I think he’s no small cause of that kind of traveller culture that’s there.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1469200734927433731?s=20

George Monbiot still generally a good egg. Can't ever, ever imagine any of the other Guardian melts doing this.

I dunno, rubbishing people who had problems with XR's 'lets' all get arrested' idea due to the disproportional affect it would have on non white middle class participants, then leaving (even as a white middle class man) the protests as soon as arrests started happening was a bit lovely.

George's articles and videos on climate change are very good. His political judgement is piss-poor and people pointing that doesn't mean their in a horrible cult.

I don't want to give him too much credit for backing away from a twitter argument, because ultimately he's still a lib who wants to gate-keep the left, he's just realised saying that gets him heat.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 10, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Yeah the guy is a legit pua scumbag who goes to poor areas, accidentally lets slip that he’s super rich to the babushkas and men, then gets young girls thrown at him with the hopes of marriage. Obviously he fucks them then runs. He was also on trial for rape a few years ago and got off basically on a technicality, as so often happens. You meet guys like that in Eastern Europe, fetishising babushkas and gopniks and Soviet poo poo and generally being skeezy with women and honestly I think he’s no small cause of that kind of traveller culture that’s there.

I think you may have meant to quote my post instead, this certainly does not apply to lovely geoguesser straight line lad

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 10, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

I think you may have meant to quote my post instead, this certainly does not apply to lovely geoguesser straight line lad

The whole internet loves Geoguesser straight line lad, a lovely lad who goes everywhere in a straight line.

*5 seconds later

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got any experience of non-standard proof of address for NHS covid pass?

My mum sold her house 2 weeks ago, but having been gazumped a few times by cash buyers is living temporarily with a friend. So she has no utility bills etc in her name, all her stuff is in storage, and also she does not want to change her bank address to there as obviously she is hoping to get somewhere permanent (though I suspect it will be many months). All her post is being forwarded to me from her old address.

The only thing with her temporary address on is she registered with a local doctor (given she is 84 and needs repeat prescriptions quite often) so she needs an address id to match as proof of ID.

She'll need the pass to do practically anything. I suggested she change one of her credit cards or maybe a savings account, but I'm not sure they would count?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

She should change her address to the current one and then put a forward on from there, at least. Or change to yours?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

She should change her address to the current one and then put a forward on from there, at least. Or change to yours?

It's too late for that really as we've paid for a year forwarding from her old address to here which cost £89 to fit all the names in and she's already registered at the doc with the temporary address which will be the one that has all her medical records.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jakabite posted:

Urgh, I used to enjoy Bald And Bankrupt's videos, but now I know this, it really recontextualizes a whole bunch of stuff. What a horrible prick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Urgh, I used to enjoy Bald And Bankrupt's videos, but now I know this, it really recontextualizes a whole bunch of stuff. What a horrible prick.

I'd never heard of this guy but looked him up & apparently "In May 2020, after exploring no-lockdown areas during the COVID-19 pandemic in Serbia, Rich disappeared for two months.[17] He later revealed that he had caught COVID-19, and that he could not walk to the bathroom or breathe by the time he sought medical attention. He learned that he had low blood oxygen and was suffering from multiple organ failure before spending a week in an intensive care unit." which is funny

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'd never heard of this guy but looked him up & apparently "In May 2020, after exploring no-lockdown areas during the COVID-19 pandemic in Serbia, Rich disappeared for two months.[17] He later revealed that he had caught COVID-19, and that he could not walk to the bathroom or breathe by the time he sought medical attention. He learned that he had low blood oxygen and was suffering from multiple organ failure before spending a week in an intensive care unit." which is funny

Yeah, he went about for ages poo-pooing covid and insisting it was no big deal, just the flu, etc etc, going about Belarus as usual laughing about it, then he caught it and nearly died. He put up a video talking about this and telling people not to be dumb like he had been, but within a few weeks deleted it and was back on his cavalier bullshit so idk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Public figures who think it's no big deal are incentivized to continue suggesting that to entertain the contingent of gibbering idiots who want it to be no big deal and have not died of it yet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mum sold her house 2 weeks ago, but having been gazumped a few times by cash buyers is living temporarily with a friend. So she has no utility bills etc in her name, all her stuff is in storage, and also she does not want to change her bank address to there as obviously she is hoping to get somewhere permanent (though I suspect it will be many months). All her post is being forwarded to me from her old address.

The only thing with her temporary address on is she registered with a local doctor (given she is 84 and needs repeat prescriptions quite often) so she needs an address id to match as proof of ID.

She'll need the pass to do practically anything. I suggested she change one of her credit cards or maybe a savings account, but I'm not sure they would count?

Can you not just login to her online nhs account thingy with whatever details you think they think are accurate and it will give her a pdf to printout with the qr code and thats all she needs, repeat once a month?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I ordered an STI testing kit online and didn't even get a swab to stuff into my dick, what is the world coming to these days

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can get one from your local library in the Covid tests.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I ordered an STI testing kit online and didn't even get a swab to stuff into my dick, what is the world coming to these days

did you think the national health service was in the habit of just handing out penis destroyers to anyone that comes up and asks for them? they don't even let me use the penis destroyers mate. smh

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can you not just login to her online nhs account thingy with whatever details you think they think are accurate and it will give her a pdf to printout with the qr code and thats all she needs, repeat once a month?

I think Jaeluni is in Wales, so the covid pass there is a bit more involved and serious than the one we get in England.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think Jaeluni is in Wales, so the covid pass there is a bit more involved and serious than the one we get in England.

Yep over here you need to have one of these things and take a video of you holding it upload a picture of it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 10, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Hmmm I see. Not much help here then. Standard.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

JoylessJester posted:

I dunno, rubbishing people who had problems with XR's 'lets' all get arrested' idea due to the disproportional affect it would have on non white middle class participants, then leaving (even as a white middle class man) the protests as soon as arrests started happening was a bit lovely.

George's articles and videos on climate change are very good. His political judgement is piss-poor and people pointing that doesn't mean their in a horrible cult.

I don't want to give him too much credit for backing away from a twitter argument, because ultimately he's still a lib who wants to gate-keep the left, he's just realised saying that gets him heat.

Yeah you're right. We should still be wary of his reasoning even if he has good takes sometimes.

Guavanaut posted:

You can get one from your local library in the Covid tests.

Yeah but you have no idea who's borrowed it before you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JohnWest_JAWS/status/1469043450184142860

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It won't until she 'verifies identity' - I've tried!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes mum's moved from England to Wales and as for taking photos using her laptop - it took her 5 goes this evening to figure out how to answer her mobile and find the verification text (the local vicar had to help her find the text in the end) - she doesn't know where texts live - with the magic number I needed to type in the site.

She's not stupid, just has zero interest in tech and makes no effort to pay attention and learn it. (My godmother, same age, 84, is a whiz on the gadgets so it's not a general elderly woman thing.)

I can predict that my immediate future contains a traumatic couple of hours trying to sort this out for her this weekend!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 10, 2021

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What does she actually need the pass for?

I live in Wales, and I've not bothered to get one. From my understanding, I would only need a pass if I wanted to enter a big nightclub or football stadium, none of which are even remotely near to me due to living in deepest, darkest Cymru. What is the absence of a pass denying her?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

D'oh! Yeah I've never heard of this guy I'm drat sure I'm going to be checking him out.

I actually decided to make that video I posted a while ago about Transnistria (or more properly, Pridenstrovia) because I was fed up with Bald and Bankrupt and his wannabes constantly going on about how it was woaaahh so Soviet and 'like stepping back in time'. The guy basically runs round Eastern Europe being horrific to/about women, patronising the locals and projecting a weird stereotype of the places he goes.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think that's......

a disgrace.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Finally time to focus on those new pork markets!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

What does she actually need the pass for?

I live in Wales, and I've not bothered to get one. From my understanding, I would only need a pass if I wanted to enter a big nightclub or football stadium, none of which are even remotely near to me due to living in deepest, darkest Cymru. What is the absence of a pass denying her?

We need it for the cinema / theatre / concerts now too.
Mum likes to participate in (not just watch) amateur dramatics at the local fleapit and various members of the family are in male voice choirs and the like performing in local venues (cinema / theatre) so she likes to go along to those too. Plus there are those live broadcasts of ballet etc which get shown in a nearby theatre too.

quote:

When do I need to show my pass?
Anyone who is aged over 16 and has been fully vaccinated in Wales or England, or has had a negative lateral flow test result in the previous 48 hours, can get a pass.

However they are only compulsory for anyone over 18 to enter:

Cinemas, theatres and concert halls
Nightclubs or similar venues
Indoor no-seating events with more than 500 people
Outdoor no-seating events with more than 4,000 people
Any event with more than 10,000 people, including sporting events
Passes are also a way of proving you do not need to self-isolate, if you have been identified as a close contact of a positive Covid case and can be used when travelling abroad.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58600373

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 11, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the GBS covid thread for those who want to play the doom game at home:

The graph everyone should be watching like a hawk for an idea for how hosed we are is this one on gov.uk.

The UK is continuing its noble role of petri dish for the world, and our already high case rate has ticked up *hard* in the last week:

It's about 10% per day (7-day rolling average), and it's sustained for over a week so is most likely the first wave of Omicron starting to make itself felt. Our hospitalisation rate right now is around 1.5-2% (rough and ready number worked out from <admissions today>/<positive tests 7 days ago>; for comparison in the winter surge of Alpha this time last year it was over 10%. If the hospitalisation rate stays below 2% we can probably give a little bit of a sigh of relief and do relatively light-touch NPIs like we did over the spring to try and keep the hospitalisations at their current >1000/day[1] - if it trends up then we really are back to square one, especially as you can see that currently the hospitalisations are trending down, almost certainly thanks to the booster campaign.

(Of course if it trends *down* then we can spend Christmas and New Years just spitting in each others faces like it's an Anti-Nowhere League gig, but even I don't believe that will happen).

[1] This is of course an absolutely ridiculous number - over 1 in a thousand people in this country are currently in hospital with covid, and 10% of those are on ventilators - but there's no way this government are ever going to do anything more than "Just enough to stop the bodies piling up in the streets", so here we are.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Crossposting from the GBS covid thread for those who want to play the doom game at home:

The graph everyone should be watching like a hawk for an idea for how hosed we are is this one on gov.uk.

The UK is continuing its noble role of petri dish for the world, and our already high case rate has ticked up *hard* in the last week:

It's about 10% per day (7-day rolling average), and it's sustained for over a week so is most likely the first wave of Omicron starting to make itself felt. Our hospitalisation rate right now is around 1.5-2% (rough and ready number worked out from <admissions today>/<positive tests 7 days ago>; for comparison in the winter surge of Alpha this time last year it was over 10%. If the hospitalisation rate stays below 2% we can probably give a little bit of a sigh of relief and do relatively light-touch NPIs like we did over the spring to try and keep the hospitalisations at their current >1000/day[1] - if it trends up then we really are back to square one, especially as you can see that currently the hospitalisations are trending down, almost certainly thanks to the booster campaign.

(Of course if it trends *down* then we can spend Christmas and New Years just spitting in each others faces like it's an Anti-Nowhere League gig, but even I don't believe that will happen).

[1] This is of course an absolutely ridiculous number - over 1 in a thousand people in this country are currently in hospital with covid, and 10% of those are on ventilators - but there's no way this government are ever going to do anything more than "Just enough to stop the bodies piling up in the streets", so here we are.

Gonna uh uh gob on youou

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Yarr, swab me dick

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TBonzalez1/status/1469331904658817030

This is the MP who got suspended from the Tory party for sending over 2000 sexual messages to constituents, brought back so Theresa May could win a confidence vote and then narrowly lost his seat to his own estranged wife that this has just come out about.

The Tory party.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Repeatedly voted against same-sex marriage because he respects the morality of the institution.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/TBonzalez1/status/1469331904658817030

This is the MP who got suspended from the Tory party for sending over 2000 sexual messages to constituents, brought back so Theresa May could win a confidence vote and then narrowly lost his seat to his own estranged wife that this has just come out about.

The Tory party.

https://twitter.com/2Si_2Vess/status/1469336358342832132

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pre:
VOTE THERESA MAY TEAM TO GET BREXIT DONE P.S. I AM WANKING AS I TEXT THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1469178446744064003