Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Who's even doing that, studio wise?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/liborek3/status/1469349705733836803?s=20

Well this really sucks. She was great and I can't really imagine Watanabe shows without her writing. I mean those shows do exist, but this still sucks.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
That loving sucks. She really was one of the unsung creative masterminds behind Bebop...

The World Inferno posted:

Some of Fey's lines were dumb, but her overall background stuff seemed solid enough.
It isn't just the one-liners: The Faye shooting up a room of goons part of "Shooting up a room full of goons and makes a quip" was what doomed her character. They seem to have forgotten this in general, but Cowboy Bebop was about losers and Epic Action Heroes and especially girl-bosses. Like, okay feel the need to have more LGBTQ+ representation? Then WHY not make Whitney her mother instead of a female seductress that leaves Faye holding a mountain of debt and exposing a character flaw? It's the Sweet Dee problem they had until the third or so season of It's Always Sunny: men are allowed to be interesting, women aren't. Once they did this by making them damsels, now it's this poo poo

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 10, 2021

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Lol the show was cancelled cuz it was bad. What's it with some of y'all and this incel tulpa you're fighting against?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

ChazTurbo posted:

Lol the show was cancelled cuz it was bad. What's it with some of y'all and this incel tulpa you're fighting against?
I mean people being hyper picky about Faye being as one goon in this very thread put it 'thicc' vs her absurd cartoon appearance were absolutely a good chunk of the critics of the series. Comparisons that it was either too accurate or not accurate enough to the cartoon were again, a huge contingent of vocal critics, who were especially enraged by the actress correctly mocking them.

On the other hand, the writing was absolute dogshit (especially for Faye!). And all the Vicious scenes are deeply embarrassing to commit to film.

All of which wipes out the fact there were some good things to be said about the production design and watchability, as much as they were literally recreating good parts of the anime.

Basically, I can see why someone would like to see more, and why someone could find it unwatchable, BUT there's a lot of bad faith criticism based on incredibly ignorant superficial elements.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Anyone who thought live action Faye was fat needs a loving reality check.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
gas

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Xibanya posted:

People who don't think Daniella Pineda is attractive make no sense to me. "Thicc" doesn't typically mean obese, but thicc doesn't really apply either.

Anime characters are 6'10" with 20" waists and DDD breasts, so yeah this normal human who's like 5'5" doesn't look like that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

how could nerds do this

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Cancelled. Oh well

Good End

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Apparently the next live-action anime Netflix was going to do is One Piece, which sounds like a nightmarish cavalcade of body horror if their Bebop is any indication

Part of me hopes they haven't learned their lesson because I really want to see that train wreck

its by the exact same team too Lol
looking forward to it

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Xealot posted:

People who don't think Daniella Pineda is attractive make no sense to me. "Thicc" doesn't typically mean obese, but thicc doesn't really apply either.

Anime characters are 6'10" with 20" waists and DDD breasts, so yeah this normal human who's like 5'5" doesn't look like that.

I mean by the typical definition of thicc (huge tits and rear end) anime Faye has Pineda beat, so I assume the poster meant the ironic euphemistic usage of fat. But it makes no sense either way.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

As for the show, haven’t seen it yet but might watch a couple episodes tonight and see what I think of it. Watching the thread see saw between “I liked it.” and “It set my dog on fire somehow. It also makes my pee burn now.” is loving hilarious though, and probably might be funnier than actually watching the show. I dunno.

nine-gear crow posted:

Counter point: Nerds suck. gently caress nerds. Chaos dunk on them non stop through whatever means you have available, including subjectively bad Netflix shows.

nine-gear crow posted:

Had to happen eventually, I guess. :rolleyes:

This is gonna be another high water mark for The Shittiest Nerds You Know, like how they won't stop talking about Ghostbusters 2016 or the Han Solo movie. Most normal people are gonna move on and be like "Oh, that Cowboy show? Yeah it sucked and I didn't watch it. Wait, why are you still yelling about it? It's 2026."

lmfaaaaaaaaao
cant even begin to comprehend how rotten your brain must be from the tireless epic culture war to think like this.
guess you were the one who got "chaos dunked" in the end

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fucker posted:

lmfaaaaaaaaao
cant even begin to comprehend how rotten your brain must be from the tireless epic culture war to think like this.
guess you were the one who got "chaos dunked" in the end
No they're right but it's not like a "high water mark" for lovely nerds means anything. Remember when they were going on and on about she ra and he man?

Xibanya posted:

We're talking about men who only look at animated drawings to replace women

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Consuming corporate slop to own the chuds

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Cloche posted:

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cloche posted:

i laughed when the girl ghostbusters farted and queefed because it made some incel on reddit mad.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please stop making fun of the things we tried to cynically cram down society's throat. If you stop clapping Tinkerbell will die

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Cowboy Bebop: Tanked!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Had to happen eventually, I guess. :rolleyes:

This is gonna be another high water mark for The Shittiest Nerds You Know, like how they won't stop talking about Ghostbusters 2016 or the Han Solo movie. Most normal people are gonna move on and be like "Oh, that Cowboy show? Yeah it sucked and I didn't watch it. Wait, why are you still yelling about it? It's 2026."

every post i see by this guy is whining about the lovely Chuddy Nerds that they've made up in their head. who the gently caress has ever said anything about ghostbusters 2016 beyond the year 2016?youtube guys that farm drama for clicks? cmon

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus posted:

is the tviv forum lined with lead or something

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Cloche posted:

this^^^^^^^

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Having standards for the media u consume is fascism.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

linkara voice: i wonder what the lovely Chuddy Nerds online have to say about my BLM Disney's Marvel's Avengers legos *genuinely getting giddy, starts clapping like a cymbol monkey* nothing good I hope!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

actually I’m only laughing and clapping at these keys being jingled in front of my face to chaos dunk on the nerds

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i guess if your brain is capable of reconciling a seething hatred of 'nerds' with the use of a term like 'chaos dunk' then yeah i can kind of see how you might think this show is good

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Cloche posted:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m surprised by the amount of people being sad this is gone. I couldn’t make it through a couple of episodes before just being bored.

I do like the suggestions that all they had to change was almost literally everything about the show so it could be watchable next season.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've read the scripts for the ALF reboot and let me tell you, you guys are missing out. Yes you are

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

the only loss whatsoever about this being cancelled is that we will never get to see just how badly they would gently caress up The Real Folks Blues pt 1 and 2. the season leading up to it where spike judo fights the immortal harmonica kid and faye calls a reimagined redditor PUA cowboy andy a fuckwaffle would be good too, but i honest to god want to see how they wrote themselves out of the corner they pointlessly worked their way into with vicious and julia

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Netflix should redirect the funds it had earmarked for LACBS2 for whatever the gently caress Mike Flanagan wants to make. In death, LACB can then find redemption.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do joke about the show being canceled but it does suck for several reasons. I didn't like the show and I wanted to because the original is one of my favourite works of animation ever. Disappointment is often worse than looking in and going "lol this is crap". It sucks because it's yet another in a long line of failed adaptations where lessons aren't learned and the same mistakes keep getting made. It sucks doubly so because out of nearly all anime, Cowboy Bebop should theoretically be the easiest to translate to a North American live action adaptation. The original show's DNA is literally built out of American film, television and musical genres and then remixed into something new.

If Bebop can't survive, what can?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lord Packinham posted:

I’m surprised by the amount of people being sad this is gone. I couldn’t make it through a couple of episodes before just being bored.

I do like the suggestions that all they had to change was almost literally everything about the show so it could be watchable next season.

It reminds me of the American Office. The first season mostly sucked because it was generic British humor, and so it didn't work because it just didn't have the same sting. But once they started doing their own thing, comparing it to the British show became impossible. Season 2 was definitely a massive improvement.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

I do joke about the show being canceled but it does suck for several reasons. I didn't like the show and I wanted to because the original is one of my favourite works of animation ever. Disappointment is often worse than looking in and going "lol this is crap". It sucks because it's yet another in a long line of failed adaptations where lessons aren't learned and the same mistakes keep getting made. It sucks doubly so because out of nearly all anime, Cowboy Bebop should theoretically be the easiest to translate to a North American live action adaptation. The original show's DNA is literally built out of American film, television and musical genres and then remixed into something new.

If Bebop can't survive, what can?

A competent show runner that was confident in the material and story they wanted to tell may have made all of the difference. What we got was terminally boring, insecure, cheap and charmless pastiche. I don't know who they thought they were going to satisfy with their creative decisions: dedicated fans of the anime, or people new to the IP? What does a live action Cowboy Bebop even offer when the anime is so revered and complete? It's like the Pink Panther remakes: who on Earth is going to outdo Peter Sellers?

They swung, they missed. It's the norm, not the exception. I don't say this to make light of your disappointment; rather, I wouldn't take anything away other than LACB blew it and that remaking a great is very hard to pull off.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

the only loss whatsoever about this being cancelled is that we will never get to see just how badly they would gently caress up The Real Folks Blues pt 1 and 2. the season leading up to it where spike judo fights the immortal harmonica kid and faye calls a reimagined redditor PUA cowboy andy a fuckwaffle would be good too, but i honest to god want to see how they wrote themselves out of the corner they pointlessly worked their way into with vicious and julia

Spike learns that the only way to carry that weight, is with his friends, and they all take down Julia together.

E: I think with an adaptation you either have to be pretty faithful to the original, changing only when necessary for the medium, or you have to boldly stake an independent vision and they did neither of those things. The Julia thing is the closet, and of course it's the most controversial change, but it's also the only part where I found myself interested in where they were going with it. Maybe it lands, maybe it doesn't, but if you're not gonna take that risk why am I watching this?

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 10, 2021

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

posting the “shhhh let people enjoy things” comic and watching The Nerds hiss and recoil like vampires from a cross

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

people have remarked on alex hassell's head and the bigness thereof but julia was badly miscast as well. in the anime she had a statuesque quality to reflect her larger-than-life role in spike's past (half her flashback shots have her looming over spike), but elena satine is a tiny thing, probably because they wanted her to look subordinate to the comically unthreatening vicious. that doesn't work so well when you want her to take over as the main antagonist, though

also the way she emoted reminded me way too much of billie piper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csz-f5yrXFM&t=13s

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 11, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

christmas boots posted:

Spike learns that the only way to carry that weight, is with his friends, and they all take down Julia together.

E: I think with an adaptation you either have to be pretty faithful to the original, changing only when necessary for the medium, or you have to boldly stake an independent vision and they did neither of those things. The Julia thing is the closet, and of course it's the most controversial change, but it's also the only part where I found myself interested in where they were going with it. Maybe it lands, maybe it doesn't, but if you're not gonna take that risk why am I watching this?

Yeah. I think that’s the problem of this show. They can’t decide whether to be completely faithful or do something different entirely - which results in a bunch of watered down episodes that are pale imitations of the original. And that doesn’t please either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It seems awfully narrow-minded to assume everyone critical of this show is some basement dwelling fash nerd. We're actually a very diverse collection of people with a myriad of lived experiences that inform us this show is trash.