Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Well the DFM gerber auto-ingester understood what I meant when it made the rendering. I feel like plated slots are a routine feature the pcb house must see a dozen times a day (or hour). And when I say I mentioned it in a note, I mean the text box on the web order form. I'm not making a fabdoc sheet for this design, lmao.

e: pcbs are cheap

(hey hey hey, goodbye)

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

I'd rate the wheel bearing making noise as an asap repair. It's a part that either works perfectly or starts eating itself as soon as it doesn't.

Wheel falls off is probably pretty far out but it will start making ever increasing amounts of heat and it will pump that heat into the axle and brakes.

My former work van, a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country, had a bad bearing in the left front corner for a month before the boss had it in for repair. Started out as a momentary screech and escalated to a low, constant rumble within a week, then stayed that way for the next three weeks. You couldn't even talk to the front passenger towards the end it was so loud. A couple hundred dollar bill ended up being nearly $2k. Bearing welded itself in: cooked the brake fluid, destroyed the line on that corner, trashed the axle, and may have caused internal leakage in the brake system, which had to be fixed.

I don't know if it's different in a front drive vehicle, but on a truck it's such a cheap and easy fix I don't know why you wouldn't.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

On older stuff that's not modular (replace the bearing alone and have to press it out, etc.) it's obviously a bigger pain vs. the newer modular hub/bearing combos that just bolt in. But yeah, definitely do it sooner than later especially where that van takes you (remote areas) regularly.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The rear bearings are easy. They use a packaged bearing with bolt-on flanges, so they're super easy to swap. The Toyota dealer says the official parts are no longer available. Rockauto has listings for Mevotech ($53), Moog ($125), Beck/Arnley ($146), Timken ($146), and Raybestos ($154). Suggestions? I care more about part reliability and easy installation than part cost.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No, maybe, maybe, yes, yes. I'd go timken or raybestos, given those options.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yes, a point in Timken's favor is I know they actually make bearings.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Antenna fuckery will only be done if absolutely necessary.

I bet I could make a nice TPMS remote antenna + preamp with a minicircuits amplifier and a SAW filter. Or take a 70cm ham preamp and tweak the filters. Hmm.

e: oh wow, I just remembered I have a spare airspy mini. SoftTPMS?

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/receiving-decoding-tire-pressure-monitor-systems-using-rtl-sdr/

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Timken for bearings.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Timken rear bearings arrive tomorrow. It's an open question whether it's even the rear bearings that are bad, so we'll see how this goes.

e: Gopro arrived, which I will setup as the world's most expensive dash cam. It has a continuous encode mode, where it can save video starting 30s before you hit the trigger, just like a dash cam. Remote shutter release to avoid "slap the dash cam" syndrome. We will see how well this works with the gopro's overheating problems. I expect I can work around it by encoding only 1080p and/or blasting it with a/c through the defroster vents.

Hopefully I'll get some neat wildlife shots, like that black bear, or the time I spooked ~20 jackrabbits along a one mile section of desert road. Possibly some cool crashes, too!

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 7, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I was hosing the mud out of my wheel wells to prep for the bearing swap, but I think I found the problem. It was wedged way in there and covered in mud.

Guess I'll return these wheel bearings.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Perseverence pays off - good job sticking with it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I mean, my original plan was to not bother fixing it and just dare Death Valley to gently caress with me. But this works, too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ryanrs posted:

not bother fixing it and just dare Death Valley to gently caress with me.

This is probably the worst plan I've ever read on this site, including the zipline murder factory and the guy who wanted to put a fire barrel in his vanlife box truck.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

builds character posted:

This is probably the worst plan I've ever read on this site, including the zipline murder factory and the guy who wanted to put a fire barrel in his vanlife box truck.

Wouldn't be the first goon to get hosed by death valley

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 11, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

How dare you! I have never posted in E/N.

If you look back at the thread, I arrived here via the unhappy combination of "you should definitely fix this slightly noisy wheel bearing" and "there's no way to tell if a wheel bearing is just starting to go bad".

I think the real lesson here is I should always wash the van after getting back from a trip, even though it is extremely against my nature to wash my car.

e: Vacation plans accepted by work. Big desert trip starts in 1 week.

e: Firewood logistics. You can't/shouldn't gather wood in the desert, because it is so scarce. So you need to bring in your own. For a 3 week trip, this means multiple resupplies. The largest town in the area is Barstow, CA (pop 25k). So I called the local feed store, and they don't sell firewood. More surprisingly, they didn't know anyone in Barstow who did. The feed store employee said she got her firewood from Victorville, which really is quite a bit out of my way.

But Google Maps shows a "Baker Firewood", in Baker, CA (pop 442). I called and it sounds like an old guy selling from his home, which is perfect.

This is all excellent news because I'd much rather stage out of Baker than Barstow.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 11, 2021

whyfeel
May 20, 2004

ryanrs posted:

(This video explains a lot about why my van looks the way it does.)

https://vimeo.com/651786300

They call it a Lake County carwash. Just drive through brush. It's beautiful out there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Is that the dude who brought a little buggy and made it like one day, then spent two more lying around before going home?

ryanrs posted:

How dare you! I have never posted in E/N.

If you look back at the thread, I arrived here via the unhappy combination of "you should definitely fix this slightly noisy wheel bearing" and "there's no way to tell if a wheel bearing is just starting to go bad".

I think the real lesson here is I should always wash the van after getting back from a trip, even though it is extremely against my nature to wash my car.

e: Vacation plans accepted by work. Big desert trip starts in 1 week.

e: Firewood logistics. You can't/shouldn't gather wood in the desert, because it is so scarce. So you need to bring in your own. For a 3 week trip, this means multiple resupplies. The largest town in the area is Barstow, CA (pop 25k). So I called the local feed store, and they don't sell firewood. More surprisingly, they didn't know anyone in Barstow who did. The feed store employee said she got her firewood from Victorville, which really is quite a bit out of my way.

But Google Maps shows a "Baker Firewood", in Baker, CA (pop 442). I called and it sounds like an old guy selling from his home, which is perfect.

This is all excellent news because I'd much rather stage out of Baker than Barstow.

I was just making jokes and also don’t want you to do dumb stuff like not fixing your van before going somewhere. This thread owns and your van is great.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So where's the thread for people on long trips that don't want to eat expensive dehydrated meals for 3 weeks straight? Mountain House is tasty, but gets pretty old after a week (and costs $35+/day).

e: I also need to research the Del Taco Singularity, or whatever it is that's happening in Barstow. Apparently Barstow Del Tacos are different? I wonder if the Baker Del Taco has something going on, too? I mean it's weird that a town of 400 people would even have a Del Taco, isn't it?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 11, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Maybe ask in the great outdoors / camping thread? Or take the thread on tour.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The only del taco I've ever eaten at was in Baker. It was not good.

ryanrs posted:

I mean, my original plan was to not bother fixing it and just dare Death Valley to gently caress with me. But this works, too.
Lol. Don't gently caress around and find out.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

ryanrs posted:

So where's the thread for people on long trips that don't want to eat expensive dehydrated meals for 3 weeks straight? Mountain House is tasty, but gets pretty old after a week (and costs $35+/day).

e: I also need to research the Del Taco Singularity, or whatever it is that's happening in Barstow. Apparently Barstow Del Tacos are different? I wonder if the Baker Del Taco has something going on, too? I mean it's weird that a town of 400 people would even have a Del Taco, isn't it?

Never eaten at the Baker Del Taco, but the Barstow one seemed alright if a little weird in its clientele and location. The one on 80 headed west out of SLC comes highly recommended as far as del taco goes.

As far as food, when I was traveling in my Econoline I just had a campstove. Ate a lot of oatmeal for breakfast. Also boil in bag rice is a great cheap option, as well as "Tasty Bite" brand curry...pouches? They have a few different flavors and are genuinely not bad at all. Microwavable, but I'd just put the pouch in the water the rice was boiling in to save time and fuel, for ~$4 you can feed 2 people. Also check bulk sections at grocery stores, I once found dehydrated refried beans, among other cool options. The dehydrated refried beans are for nights alone in the woods, not recommended in social situations, very gassy haha.

Cat Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 11, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

doing giant farts in the wilderness is half the motivation for this trip

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

ryanrs posted:

doing giant farts in the wilderness is half the motivation for this trip

Perfect. Forget if theres WinCo's around southern CA but their bulk section is amazing.
Oh, another cheap and light weight option is instant mashed potatoes. Harder cheeses also hold up well in the cold seasons, just stash it somewhere cool and dark.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

This is great!

One aspect of camp cooking is that when you're hiking miles, or hunting hard, lengthy meal prep really cuts into activity time, especially during short winter days. I want to get away from that a bit with this trip, and do fun camp cooking stuff some of the time.

For example, I understand you can wrap a potato in foil and bake it in the coals. I want to try that, and something similar with a smoked turkey leg.

Dehydrated beans sounds like a good base, along with instant rice. I think frozen peas would work well. They'd thaw in a day or two in the cooler, but should still be good for over a week.

Hmm. What else?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What do you do for refrigeration? Smoked turkey leg sounds like great camp food. I like to prep a whole Dutch oven meal on bags and have that, if you have a way to have leftovers that could be a few days worth.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

120 quart cooler with 60 lbs of ice. It will last over a week (and I will refill it during resupply runs).

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Knorr’s pasta and rice sides are the gold standard in cheap dehydrated food. Not sure you could eat them for three weeks though. And pack extra water, those things are saaaalty

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You could roast a whole garlic bulb in the coals, then spread it on french bread. Pairs well with dehydrated bean farts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm a big fan of the old "wrap microwave burritos and hot pockets in heavy duty aluminum foil and put them on the engine in strategic locations" trail snack. Usually nestled around the intake manifold under harnesses and hoses where they can't easily fall out is good enough. You probably even have more real estate on top of the transmission that I don't, being fwd.

The baked potato trick does work. Those are good. Just kind of hard to get them "just right" but at least you can try a few times because potatoes aren't exactly expensive ingredients. You can also do a similar thing, dice up a bunch of peppers, onions, carrots, and any other veggies you want and put spices on them, then bundle them up in a bunch of layers of foil and in they go.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Reading about some road conditions, I'm getting sand anxiety. Winching the van over a 1 ft obstacle is a huge pain in the rear end. I really don't want to get stuck in sand.

I think I should be good on Mojave Road proper, as it should have some traffic. With the big holiday, I expect to see more than a couple overlanders out there. So if I do get stuck, I'll try to do it on Mojave Road, or within a mile or two.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
I had no problems out there in my van, just do not go off the road, you will sink into sand so very, very quick. I only did 30 to 40 miles of it though, and not into the deep desert. As with anything its better to turn around and have to backtrack than get stuck. Definitely plenty of overlanders though. If you are going through the Mojave NP I cannot recommend kelso dunes enough, amazing sights and free camping. Go past the bathrooms another 100 yards or so and youll find a big open area you can camp in. on the eastern side of this area, towards the dunes, theres a little road to more camps, one of which is under a big tree that gives great shade. But definitely walk the road to the eastern campsites before you drive it. The wind can blow sand drifts across it and there is a few false paths that stop after 10 yards. At night you can see the glow of Las Vegas on the eastern horizon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Manifold cookin' owns. v6 prooobably has an intake that folds over itself, should be perfect for some manifold burritos.

https://nuxx.net/pdf/ManifoldM.pdf

Build a traction board from 2x8s or a cheap HF atv ramp + sawzall, there's also a spade you can drive into the sand to winch off of.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cursedshitbox posted:

, there's also a spade you can drive into the sand to winch off of.

You talking one of these things?

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/winch-anchors/

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I think if I got 5 pairs of traction boards I could drive on sand without touching it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryanrs posted:

I think if I got 5 pairs of traction boards I could drive on sand without touching it.

like plastic tank treads

tbh a lot easier and more predictable than trying to hand winch over sand dunes with a spade or a buried tarp.

edit - what about actual snow chains? wildly illegal to drive on pavement but if you're in the dirt or sand, they'd work almost like paddle tires.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The issue is flotation, not traction. Chains don't help. The solution is to buy bigger tires and air them way down. Dare I run 10 psi?

e: I better pick up a bottle of starting fluid, lol

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 12, 2021

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

The issue is flotation, not traction. Chains don't help. The solution is to buy bigger tires and air them way down. Dare I run 10 psi?

8 is about as low as i'll go without beadlocks. sounds like you already hit the yt vids, but sand is all about flotation/momentum. keeping up speed and avoiding the deep/soft stuff. it sucks poo poo but "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" def applies here. get good at recognizing what'll trap you and you won't need to get as good at recovery

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I was somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the tire bead lost its hold.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So, there's always internal beadlocks:

https://ok4wd.com/exterior/wheels-tires/wheel-tire-accessories/internal-beadlock

Thats just one brand. Rock crawler types run those in lieu of regular beadlocks because they're street legal. A buddy of mine swears by them as beadlocks and as a faux runflat option.

I'm struggling to find the exact wording, but there is also a faux beadlock option where a wheel shop cuts a lip into the inside of the wheel, basically just turns the wheel under a lathe to cut a small notch, so the tire has mechanical grip at 0psi. IIRC Method racing wheels incorporate this into most of their designs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beadlocks are not worth it for me because:
- I have never lost a bead in a way that a beadlock would prevent. So it's a low probability / theoretical risk.
- I have 2 redundant remedies: ether starter fluid, spare tire.

Guess I'll see if the first condition is still valid at 10 psi, heh.