Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

In US films and TV it seems breakfast = eggs by default and waitresses are constantly asking people how they like them.

If it's just Hollywood being Hollywood, that's fine. I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

simplefish posted:

In US films and TV it seems breakfast = eggs by default and waitresses are constantly asking people how they like them.

If it's just Hollywood being Hollywood, that's fine. I didn't mean to derail the thread.
Okay just so you know we don't have superheroes either

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

simplefish posted:

ff you're at a restaurant for breakfast you're probably going to be ordering something that comes with eggs, and waitresses ask how people like their eggs because there's lots of ways to cook them (fried, scrambled, poached, over easy, etc).

Now I'm curious: where you do live that this is strange behavior?

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Nov 6, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it'd be funny if he was like "Ames, Iowa" or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
By that same token I assume a French breakfast is always a single croissant and a cigarette

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

By that same token I assume a French breakfast is always a single croissant and a cigarette

What, no coffee?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wasn't sure if I'd get clowned on for picking coffee when the real answer is espresso or vice versa, but yes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Wasn't sure if I'd get clowned on for picking coffee when the real answer is espresso or vice versa, but yes.

The French didn't invent their own press to drink espresso with their croissant

E: this was not intended as a clown and if it reads that way I apologize

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Even if it was it should have been a mime

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

it's spelled expresso hth

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
they're talking about France so it should be espresseaux

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

it's spelled expresso hth

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The Great Organic Food Fraud - how one scammer sold hundreds of millions of dollars of conventional grain as organic and how the laxness of the organic food industry as a whole enabled it: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/15/the-great-organic-food-fraud

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/danielhillmedia/status/1466742046643920905

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
https://www.wired.com/story/confessions-marcus-hutchins-hacker-who-saved-the-internet/

Really good article about the guy who wrote malware, turned his poo poo around and stopped the WannaCry ransomware attack.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
What happened to Stephen Glass, the notoriously fraudulent journalist (as depicted in the movie Shattered Glass), a story that goes in a completely unexpected direction:

https://airmail.news/issues/2021-12-4/loving-lies

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Male Tears posted:

The Great Organic Food Fraud - how one scammer sold hundreds of millions of dollars of conventional grain as organic and how the laxness of the organic food industry as a whole enabled it: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/15/the-great-organic-food-fraud

The fact that there’s no quality testing that can discern wholesome organic food from evil conventional food reveals a lot about the industry.

Guy’s only guilty of cutting out some of the middlemen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://everywhereist.com/2021/12/bros-restaurant-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever/

A mighty fine, and quite hostile, review of a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nonathlon posted:

What happened to Stephen Glass, the notoriously fraudulent journalist (as depicted in the movie Shattered Glass), a story that goes in a completely unexpected direction:

https://airmail.news/issues/2021-12-4/loving-lies

PYF Paywalled Content

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

PYF Paywalled Content

A mailinator.com address works just fine to get past the paywall.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

It also looks like adding it to Pocket bypasses the paywall, since I didn't even notice it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
The article just opened right up for me, without doing anything. Going to other articles on the site, the third or so started nagging me so maybe it's an "x article per month" deal.

Another piece that i'm not sure adds up to much but it's an interesting trip:

"Rothko at the Inauguration - A story of America in three scams"

https://hazlitt.net/longreads/rothko-inauguration

quote:

Looking at that report, I didn’t know that it would be a story, though I thought it might be. I certainly didn’t think I’d be puzzling over it for the next eight years. It was written by a kind of fine art scientist named James Martin. It described his analysis of a 50-inch by 40-inch oil painting, Untitled, 1956. “Hereinafter” the report said, “the “Painting”.”

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Since the original link doesn't seem to be working, here is a repost of the review. It was pretty funny, and reflects my views on super fancy dining.

https://medium.com/@everywhereist/bros-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever-3466c98cdbdf

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

PYF Paywalled Content

Bypass Paywalls Clean is a Firefox extension that does a pretty good job on these.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Whooping Crabs posted:

Since the original link doesn't seem to be working, here is a repost of the review. It was pretty funny, and reflects my views on super fancy dining.

https://medium.com/@everywhereist/bros-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever-3466c98cdbdf

I lost it at the point when they were instructed to consume some sort of foam from a plaster cast of the mouth of the chef.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rhandhali posted:

Bypass Paywalls Clean is a Firefox extension that does a pretty good job on these.

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

There is also a good one for Chrome.

Edit: Although, it doesn't seem to work for this specific article.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 9, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're running a metaphor, not a restaurant.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.today.com/food/brutal-review-michelin-starred-restaurant-bros-goes-viral-t242696 has a response from the chef. I can't summarize it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

It shouldn’t be summarized.

This man used the guise of gastronomy to produce some masterful trolling.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Absolute pro-click. That chef is a master troll.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
“This is orange foam in a cast of your mouth. Please explain.”

“Imagine... a drawing of a man on a horse...”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't think of a better way to defend your arrogant, hostile, nonsensical restaurant than with that arrogant, hostile, nonsensical letter. It's Dada.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, when I was in my teens and 20s I went through an alt-history phase and I eventually fell out when I realized that a lot of authors and fans were just a little too excited about stories where the Nazis win.
Why aren't there more stories where Hitler was assassinated? There were like half a dozen attempts that got as far as someone actually planting a bomb.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't think of a better way to defend your arrogant, hostile, nonsensical restaurant than with that arrogant, hostile, nonsensical letter. It's Dada.

Why aren't there more stories where Hitler was assassinated? There were like half a dozen attempts that got as far as someone actually planting a bomb.

I'm not a "buff" but I have a feeling that if hitler had been a painter, all else being the same, you'd have had some other fascist type government in germany, and scapegoating Jews was pretty widespread in europe already...

I know you're talking about wartime assassination plots which is a different beast. But it reminded me, it's just something I feel like people don't talk about enough when talkin' bout killin hitler.

You'd need like... a german lenin or something in the 1910s/20s to wrench germany off that approximate track.

Killing hitler in wartime, well, that'd be bad for the party but there were a lotta odious nazis ready to step up and continue what they'd planned for like ten years. I dunno, again, I am not a "buff" of "history" really.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The most famous plot was by a bunch of Nazis who thought Hitler wasn’t nazi’ing right.

It wasn’t a case of “oh my god this one dude is making me commit all these atrocities!”, it was very much “aw hell yeah, I get to war crime!”

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

FrozenVent posted:

The most famous plot was by a bunch of Nazis who thought Hitler wasn’t nazi’ing right.

It wasn’t a case of “oh my god this one dude is making me commit all these atrocities!”, it was very much “aw hell yeah, I get to war crime!”

I hope he got them on the phone afterwards and reminded them "hey. I'm hitler. HITLER. the nazi guy. kind of THE nazi. you can't out-nazi hitler you numbskulls. alright. take it easy guys."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I'm not a "buff" but I have a feeling that if hitler had been a painter, all else being the same, you'd have had some other fascist type government in germany, and scapegoating Jews was pretty widespread in europe already...

I know you're talking about wartime assassination plots which is a different beast. But it reminded me, it's just something I feel like people don't talk about enough when talkin' bout killin hitler.

You'd need like... a german lenin or something in the 1910s/20s to wrench germany off that approximate track.

Killing hitler in wartime, well, that'd be bad for the party but there were a lotta odious nazis ready to step up and continue what they'd planned for like ten years. I dunno, again, I am not a "buff" of "history" really.

The specifics would have changed, but I can't help but feel that there were plenty of other "potential Hitlers" in Germany and one of them would have assumed a functionally identical role in the end. The specific Nazi Germany would have changed but the overall arc writ large would have been roughly the same.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Georg Elser was just some working class schmuck who realized 'Hitler's evil as gently caress, someone's gotta kill him'. So he found out when Hitler was gonna be in town giving a speech, and spent a month sneaking into the convention hall, hollowing out the pillar next to the podium, and filling it with stolen explosives.

His time bomb worked perfectly, but sadly Hitler cut his speech short and left half an hour early, so it only killed lesser nazis.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

real Gs prefer to speculate "what if Germany had won World War I" instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tunicate posted:

Georg Elser was just some working class schmuck who realized 'Hitler's evil as gently caress, someone's gotta kill him'. So he found out when Hitler was gonna be in town giving a speech, and spent a month sneaking into the convention hall, hollowing out the pillar next to the podium, and filling it with stolen explosives.

His time bomb worked perfectly, but sadly Hitler cut his speech short and left half an hour early, so it only killed lesser nazis.
From the wiki:
'When taken to the border control post and asked to empty his pockets he was found to be carrying wire cutters, numerous notes and sketches pertaining to explosive devices, firing pins and a blank colour postcard of the interior of the Bürgerbräukeller.'

Silly bastard.