Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SKULL.GIF posted:

Plastics are derived from the concentrated essence of billions of years of hatred and death

we've all seen ferngully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hell, there were food riots lead mostly by women inside the confederacy during the civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_bread_riots

quote:

The riots were triggered by the women's lack of money, provisions, and food.[1] All were the result of multiple factors, mostly related to the Civil War:
  • Inflation had caused prices to soar while incomes had not kept pace.[2]
  • Refugees had flooded the cities causing severe shortages of housing and overwhelming the old food supply system. Richmond's population tripled from 38,000 people in 1860 to over 100,000 by 1863.[3][4]
  • Food supplies in rural areas were running short and less food was exported to cities; foraging armies, both Union and Confederate, ravaged crops and killed farm animals.[5]
  • Many cities—especially Richmond—were at the end of long supply lines, and internal transportation became increasingly difficult.[6]
  • The drought of 1862 resulted in a poor harvest in a time when food was already scarce.
  • Salt, which at the time was the only practical meat preservative, was very expensive (if available at all) because it was generally an imported item. The Union blockade prevented imports, and the capture of Avery Island, Louisiana, with its salt-mine, exacerbated the problem.[7]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The riots were triggered by the women's lack of money, provisions, and food.[1] All were the result of multiple factors, mostly related to the Climate Change:
  • Inflation had caused prices to soar while incomes had not kept pace.[2]
  • Refugees had flooded the cities causing severe shortages of housing and overwhelming the old food supply system. Richmond's population tripled from 380,000 people in 2040 to over 1,000,000 by 2043.[3][4]
  • Food supplies in rural areas were running short and less food was exported to cities; foraging armies, both state-backed and private, ravaged crops and killed farm animals.[5]
  • Many cities—especially Richmond—were at the end of long supply lines, and internal transportation became increasingly difficult.[6]
  • The drought of 2042 resulted in a poor harvest in a time when food was already scarce.
  • Plastics, which at the time was the only practical meat preservative, was at least plentiful. [7]

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

2042 seems a bit optimistic, but I like your spirit.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the aggregate manifestations of our generations of sin seem to be forming an alliance and mobilizing against all life on earth. should we maybe do something??

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Post the highest quality work clothes you have that dont fall apart after 6mo of manual labor or less. Gonna lol when its some crummy double stiched deluth trading crap

Wow, I am extremely owned rn.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Complications posted:

2042 seems a bit optimistic, but I like your spirit.

Oat and lentils yields are the worst they've ever been

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

We can colonize the stars!

The speed of light is more or less immutable and there are no shortcuts.

Yes it is we can go faster than light! Some guy put out a paper that require negative energy to work so it's bound to happen eventually because we're humans and we can do anything, you're just anti-science! It's just like the speed of sound!

draws two planets on a piece of paper, then folds the paper over and pokes a pencil through the paper where the planets now overlap

do it like this. there i just solved your "immutable speed of light" problem egghead, now go make me a rocket :smugbert:

the audience starts hootin' and hollerin'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
some scientist starts stammering about risks and how it's impossible

JUST DO IT

and then the day is saved

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zodium posted:

cyber-covid21

PlastiCOVID-21

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

btw, one theory of why hunter-gatherer cultures, even when they eat all sorts of diets that you would associate with gaining weight, don't, is they don't have exposure to PFAS. I mean you have cultures like this that eat like 90% meat and no vegetables, but you also have some in the south pacific that eat like 70%+ starches all year, and yet they are all quite trim.

so no but yes it no. in modern times we’ve been seeing massive obesity across humans, captive animals on controlled diets, and wild animals, which is absolutely contributed to by various phthalates and other endocrine disrupting plastics/chems. but going beyond that human diet is quite complex and while calories in < calories out isn’t wrong, they aren’t all equal. eating starches that came in the form of taro is far different than starches in modern russet potatoes. protein, and particularly fiber content and how much the body absorbs before making GBS threads it out all can wildly vary.

there is also that a lot of cooked food (especially over cooked meats n pasta n stuff) provide more body-intake calories even if hypothetically they are the same on paper

likewise we now stuff things full of processed sugars like HFCS which meant mechanicallly the breakdown was done industrially and the body needs to do less effort to jam itself full of feel goody sugars.

we are also generally far more sedentary overall

but yes a lot of recent obesity trends are driven by pollution

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how is plastic so evil and further research keeps finding other ways that plastic is evil.

at some point you’d think there might be one good thing from infecting everything with plastic.

There is one good thing: it'll be over soon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You waaaaait, ba da da da, ba da da da.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how is plastic so evil and further research keeps finding other ways that plastic is evil.

at some point you’d think there might be one good thing from infecting everything with plastic.

Because they rather focus that fear on things that can bring us absolute joy in this deteriorating world - liquor, weed, and tobacco.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Our response to tobacco is all you need to know about why we're ignoring plastic.

There's also a new study every day about how awesome wine is for you.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

skooma512 posted:

Our response to tobacco is all you need to know about why we're ignoring plastic.

There's also a new study every day about how awesome wine is for you.

New Zealand is eliminating tobacco for the next generation and beyond and the Democrats tried banning menthol as their big social push.

And wine articles are there to make old white boomers feel better, since they're the ones usually writing them. All other liquor gets poo poo on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
:stare:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Ahahahahaha, where'd you find that?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Ssthalar posted:

Ahahahahaha, where'd you find that?

QCS, I assume.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

hahahaha

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

goddamn the actual article is dark

quote:

And when asked to stop steering visitors to the suicide site, the world’s most powerful search engine deflected responsibility. “Google Search holds a mirror up to what is on the internet,” a senior manager for the company wrote to Australian officials in February

yep just a neutral, impartial mirror

a free market of search results, really

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SA and CSPAM is not a young audience though

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ahahaha yes

:sickos:

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Biosphere Collapse: Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this owns

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the captain planet villains all won

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the heroes of captain planet were all fictional and used impossible magic to save the day, most of the time just barely and also after enormous irreparable damage had been done. the villains were all real people who just followed the obvious conclusions of capitalism and weren't magical at all. they existed when the show was made and continue to exist now, except now they are even more powerful.

also most of the ways that the captain planet kids solved things would be considered terrorism

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Tempora Mutantur posted:

goddamn the actual article is dark

yep just a neutral, impartial mirror

a free market of search results, really

Unless it's say, about unionization.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Unless it's say, about unionization.

well that's life-threatening [to corporate entities]

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Stereotype posted:

the heroes of captain planet were all fictional and used impossible magic to save the day, most of the time just barely and also after enormous irreparable damage had been done. the villains were all real people who just followed the obvious conclusions of capitalism and weren't magical at all. they existed when the show was made and continue to exist now, except now they are even more powerful.

also most of the ways that the captain planet kids solved things would be considered terrorism

baby me had a crush on dr. blight, still waiting for that face turn.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

the captain planet villains all won

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YL97QjGEx6s

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's going to last the rest of your life

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Stereotype posted:

drat this hits

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sorry, you are made of plastic and will never die, enjoy hell forever

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I admire your optimism

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

jetz0r posted:

it's going to last the rest of your life

To be fair, that's a very flexible timeframe.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
in other news we are having multi-state spanning long-track tornadoes in mid december
:tif:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I hear Vancouver still has gas rationing. how’s the general situation there

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
right Vancouver i almost forgot, get all the roads fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Koirhor posted:

right Vancouver i almost forgot, get all the roads fixed?

Oh gently caress no. The main highway to the interior will perhaps be patched together enough to be passage, which must not be confused with 'fixed', at best in late January.

One of the minor highways will need to have 130 km of a 150km stretch completely rebuilt.