Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And #5, the eternal human truth of if I don't do it somebody else will.

Now that's a half decent snipe. If I don't do it somebody else will should be written on mankind's grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The 'as doomed as the species who were on an island and never learned how to live outside of it' is weird because like, feels like we have a pretty good amount of examples of said species trucking on like normal for who knows how long.

Until we gently caress it up of course.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Again, just morbid curiosity.

this was humans defacto state, never knowing where or when your next meal is coming from which is why our brains shut off and allow us to gorge ourselves way past daily caloric needs, hence obesity.

what I’m saying is learn reject modernity and embrace tradition

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seventy degrees in December

there it is again

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The 'as doomed as the species who were on an island and never learned how to live outside of it' is weird because like, feels like we have a pretty good amount of examples of said species trucking on like normal for who knows how long.

Until we gently caress it up of course.

people are so brain poisoned by capitalism they can't imagine the idea of a sustainable civilization, so it's just all WE HAVE TO COLONIZE MARS OR WE'RE loving DEAD we're never colonizing another planet and we're dying on this rock after we coat it in plastic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oxxidation posted:

there it is again

65 with the possibility of tornadoes tonight here in Ohio

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

goochtit posted:

Is this it? Is this... peak oil?

I've been told that it isn't real, so you shouldn't worry about it. :)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oxxidation posted:

there it is again

that funny fe-ee-ee-ling

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

there is infinite oil don’t worry. also burning this infinite oil has no consequences.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Hubbert posted:

That's a relief :)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stereotype posted:

there is infinite oil don’t worry. also burning this infinite oil has no consequences.

It's God's natural law of Abundance. Or as the Italians like to say, "Abbundanza!"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And the Italians never ran out of oil, did they?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've been told it's impossible to be racist against Italians. We're currently testing that hypothesis.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But they sure never ran out of oil, I can tell you that!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Sci-fi movies have absolutely fried this dude's brain.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I thought it was just the maccabees who had infinite-burning oil

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

petit choux posted:

And #5, the eternal human truth of if I don't do it somebody else will.

Now that's a half decent snipe. If I don't do it somebody else will should be written on mankind's grave.

that's a very good point Mr Onceler

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

btw, one theory of why hunter-gatherer cultures, even when they eat all sorts of diets that you would associate with gaining weight, don't, is they don't have exposure to PFAS. I mean you have cultures like this that eat like 90% meat and no vegetables, but you also have some in the south pacific that eat like 70%+ starches all year, and yet they are all quite trim.

i'm confused, the article says one person in the bottom billion, not all one billion people in that group

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Dec 10, 2021

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can eat 70% starches and remain skinny as long as your total caloric intake is relatively low.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Comatoast posted:

You can eat 70% starches and remain skinny as long as your total caloric intake is relatively low.

actually there was something posted in another thread recently that disputes this. they point more to environmental factors, and also elevation (it has been found that people living in higher elevations have less obesity - helps to explain why Colorado always has lower obesity rates than any other states)

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

quote:

A Tanzanian hunter-gatherer society called the Hadza get about 15 percent of their calories from honey. Combined with all the sugar they get from eating fruit, they end up eating about the same amount of sugar as Americans do. Despite this, the Hadza do not exhibit obesity. Another group, the Mbuti of the Congo, eat almost nothing but honey during the rainy season, when honey can provide up to 80% of the calories in their diet. These are all unrefined sugars, of course, but the Kuna of Panama, though mostly hunter-gatherers, also obtain white sugar and some sugar-containing foods from trade. Their diet is 65% carbohydrate and 17% sugar, which is more sugar than the average American currently consumes. Despite this the Kuna are lean, with average BMIs around 22-23.

The Inuit, by contrast, traditionally ate a diet consisting primarily of seal meat and blubber, with approximately 50% of their calories coming from fat. This diet is quite low in fruits and vegetables, but obesity was virtually unknown until the arrival of western culture. The Maasai are an even more extreme example, subsisting on a diet composed “almost exclusively of milk, blood, and meat”. They drink “an average of 3 to 5 quarts/day of their staple: milk supplemented with cow’s blood and meat“. This adds up to about 3000 calories per day, 66% of those calories being from fat. (They also sometimes eat honey and tree bark.) But the Maasai are also quite lean, with the average BMI for both men and women being again in the range of 22-23, increasing very slightly over age.

Kitava is a Melanesian island largely isolated from the outside world. In 1990, Staffan Lindeberg went to the island to study the diet, lifestyle, and health of its people. He found a diet based on starchy tubers and roots like yam, sweet potato, and taro, supplemented by fruit, vegetables, seafood, and coconut. Food was abundant and easy to come by, and the Kitavans ate as much as they wanted. “It is obvious from our investigations,” wrote Lindeberg, “that lack of food is an unknown concept, and that the surplus of fruits and vegetables regularly rots or is eaten by dogs.”

About 70% of the calories in the Kitavan diet came from carbohydrates. For comparison, the modern American diet is about 50% carbohydrates. Despite this, none of the Kitavans were obese. Instead they were in excellent health. Below, you’ll see a photo of a Kitavan man being examined by Lindeberg.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

actionjackson posted:

actually there was something posted in another thread recently that disputes this. they point more to environmental factors, and also elevation (it has been found that people living in higher elevations have less obesity - helps to explain why Colorado always has lower obesity rates than any other states)

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

70% carb man :shittypop:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
thoughts on climate change?

(stop to quit)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

change is good. need more events that close my work please

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

goochtit posted:

70% carb man :shittypop:

You studyin' them National Geographics in there boy?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

petit choux posted:

You studyin' them National Geographics in there boy?

I READ IT FOR THE ARTICLES OKAY

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hell yeah

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
4-Fourthmeal

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Microplastic pollution aids antibiotic resistance

quote:

Microplastics dispersed in the environment may enhance antibiotic resistance. A study found the chemical-leaching plastics draw bacteria and other vectors and make them susceptible to antibiotic resistant genes.

:sickos:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cyber-covid21

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1468283328830836741

:yeshaha:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Have you ever thought "boy I do love saving the orangutans, but I really wish there was a way to roll my conservation efforts into my crypto portfolio"? Well I have just the proposal for you:

https://www.eco-business.com/opinion/endangered-wildlife-should-pay-for-its-own-protection/

quote:

There is plenty of money in cryptocurrencies available to prove a new “tokenomics” for nature; crypto innovators are astonishingly successful at creating digital scarcity that accrues in value. It is inevitable that the living scarcity of endangered species will become an asset class for those holding cryptocurrencies. The question is how to approach this in a way that is useful for the species and for the people looking after them.

We plan to endow the first digital wallets for orangutans with the proceeds of the sale of related non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Every wallet will have scientists and other signatories charged with making decisions in the interests of the orangutan. Over time, the process will become “Schrödingerian”: a wallet will be created when an ape is reliably observed for the first time. ‘Interspecies Money’ will be paid to people from funds in the wallets for adhering to simple and verifiable rules. These rules will be set by the orangutans (or to be precise, the human and computational proxies representing their needs). These could include such tasks as “observe me over time,” “leave my tree alone,” and “don’t kill me.”

Just a Moron has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 10, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder what happens when they increasingly take away all other alternatives.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Somebody switch off the simulation please, I want out

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

how is plastic so evil and further research keeps finding other ways that plastic is evil.

at some point you’d think there might be one good thing from infecting everything with plastic.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

err posted:

Goddammit, we don't even have the resources or technological wherewithal to even set up a long-term tent on the Moon but these broke-brained motherfuckers think that with a little intellectual muscle-grease we can just build new cities on Alfra Centauri, bing boom so simple!

Admittedly I may be a little salty as one of the very minor disappointments of adulthood was realizing how nigh-insurmountable the obstacles were for regular space travel even just within our own solar system, barring some miraculous unexpected breakthroughs in technology.

It also reminds me of the moment of crack ping laughter I had a few months back playing Dead Space 2, where the intro explained that in the 25th Century depleted resources forced the world to engage in a massive space exploration effort. It was a photo-finish between which part of that was funnier: the idea that it would be centuries instead of decades (at most) before human civilization ate poo poo or that even in that extreme we'd have the resources and ability to build city-sized starships and send them flying about the cosmos.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how is plastic so evil and further research keeps finding other ways that plastic is evil.

at some point you’d think there might be one good thing from infecting everything with plastic.

Plastics are derived from the concentrated essence of billions of years of hatred and death

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Again, just morbid curiosity.

People recoil in rage when you suggest they should eat less meat. I said in the D-day econ thread that once people lose 24/7 on-demand access to beef, pork, and chicken they are going to lose their minds. If they lose access to food in general, look out.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

you know all those myths about defiling graveyards and using the dead's energy and bodies to create long lasting prosperity and virtuous culture?

no?

the opposite tends to happen?

yeah that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

err posted:

We can colonize the stars!

The speed of light is more or less immutable and there are no shortcuts.

Yes it is we can go faster than light! Some guy put out a paper that require negative energy to work so it's bound to happen eventually because we're humans and we can do anything, you're just anti-science! It's just like the speed of sound!