Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Perfect Dark got it right, a whole training facility for your dumb rear end to get good in, the real game will be waiting for you in this room when you decide to stop crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The tram at the beginning of half life was always bad unless you cheated to get weapons so you could kill all your colleague NPCs on the way to work.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The first time I played through Half Life I was jazzed as hell through the whole tram sequence because I was excited to play this awesome game!

This was also my experience the second, third, forth and fifth times.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

X JAKK posted:

Perfect Dark got it right, a whole training facility for your dumb rear end to get good in, the real game will be waiting for you in this room when you decide to stop crying

I loved the training areas, I think I spent months trying to gold all of the shooting range challenges. More games need that

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Quote-Unquote posted:

The tram at the beginning of half life was always bad unless you cheated to get weapons so you could kill all your colleague NPCs on the way to work.

I enjoyed the old Sven-Coop versions where everyone but the host player would spawn outside the tram and you got to faff around until the level change.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Most first person shooters would benefit a HUGE amount from having a dodge function where you can super quickly move whichever way you want.

I believe Doom Eternal had that and it was one of the best ideas in the whole game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Play posted:

Most first person shooters would benefit a HUGE amount from having a dodge function where you can super quickly move whichever way you want.

I believe Doom Eternal had that and it was one of the best ideas in the whole game.

Well, see, the original doom had that- it was called moving, because the doomguy had race car level speed so he could dodge easily.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Panzeh posted:

Well, see, the original doom had that- it was called moving, because the doomguy had race car level speed so he could dodge easily.

It would only be a dodge if it was faster than a race car, then

It feels good as hell to dodge around a guy to get a better angle on them and take them out. Doomguy in Eternal is fast as hell too although maybe not quite as quick as the original

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Using the arrow keys to dodge Imp fireballs should absolutely count

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tutorials can be good or they can be bad but I’m wondering how many years it’s gonna take before they finally stop putting tips on loading screens on consoles with solid state storage

Like a Dragon holy poo poo I can barely read the tooltip title before the scene loads

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Instead of tutorials you should be required to demonstrate basic game literacy through progressive certifications. You can’t just have your first game be some modern complex one. Everyone has to play a game of Spacewar! as their first game, then they are allowed to start playing the OG arcade games like Pac-Man, then you’re allowed up to move to Super Mario Bros. And so on till you’re qualified enough to play modern games without needing stuff explained to you.
Everyone is required to carry on their person a “Gamer Card” that documents their “Gamer Score”. In order to purchase a game you have to show your card to show you’re qualified enough.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Play posted:

except most first person shooters nowadays put you up against a bunch of bozos with undodgeable hitscan guns
more FPSes need enemies that throw fireballs

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Panzeh posted:

This is what sucks about games these days. The adherence to realistic standards. I was playing Ultima Online the other week and it's still the best MMO of all time because you can equip a sword then swing so hard at a skeleton that the skeleton starts bleeding, then when it's dead you can use a skinning knife to gather steaks and leather from its corpse. Any other MMO would have made the skeleton immune to bleed and told me I can't skin that and that's loving dumb.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cranking the brightness of my tv all the way up and trying to slam my eyes shut at just the right time so i can read the afterimage burned into my retinas and learn how ramen works

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

except most first person shooters nowadays put you up against a bunch of bozos with undodgeable hitscan guns
more FPSes need enemies that throw fireballs

There's a reason why Prodeus is the uncontested king of modern FPS and nothing else gets even remotely close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FuHtLA_M8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUN7t2RyMSs

(that reason is because it literally just took OG doom and modernized it in all the best ways, with nothing extraneous)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's a reason why Prodeus is the uncontested king of modern FPS and nothing else gets even remotely close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FuHtLA_M8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUN7t2RyMSs

(that reason is because it literally just took OG doom and modernized it in all the best ways, with nothing extraneous)

Prodeus is really good but has way too many guns with overlapping functions to not let you remove them from the scroll wheel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Games now: do you want a tutorial?
Games back when, about two minutes after you start:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why can't metroid crawl?

How do I get past this barrel in Sonic???

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My certified and tested IQ of 99 failed at the Sonic barrel as a kid, but at least I get to say no one can be both dumber than the average and smarter than me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Why can't metroid crawl?

Elentor posted:

My certified and tested IQ of 99 failed at the Sonic barrel as a kid, but at least I get to say no one can be both dumber than the average and smarter than me.

As someone who beat the first boss of game gear Sonic 2 I think I can safely say that the barrel is the end of Sonic 3. It's a kill screen.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

Why can't metroid crawl?

Screw that barrel

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Portal 2 has the best tutorial.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Genesis Kids: Shining Force 2 vs Phantasy Star 4?

I say Shining Force 2 for it's colorful presentation, delightful music and fun combat. PS4 has all that but is a tad more bleak and I could never find the physical cart for under a hundred bucks whereas I still own SF2

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Instead of tutorials you should be required to demonstrate basic game literacy through progressive certifications. You can’t just have your first game be some modern complex one. Everyone has to play a game of Spacewar! as their first game, then they are allowed to start playing the OG arcade games like Pac-Man, then you’re allowed up to move to Super Mario Bros.

i found out today that young pro gamers can't even gently caress with super mario bros

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Genesis Kids: Shining Force 2 vs Phantasy Star 4?

I say Shining Force 2 for it's colorful presentation, delightful music and fun combat. PS4 has all that but is a tad more bleak and I could never find the physical cart for under a hundred bucks whereas I still own SF2

Phantasy Star 4 not even a contest. The best RPG on the Genesis and possibly the best RPG of that console generation

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Barudak posted:

Phantasy Star 4 not even a contest. The best RPG on the Genesis and possibly the best RPG of that console generation

The talk amongst yr party function is something that should be in more RPGs because it means I can pick it back up on the Switch after not touching it for three months and figure out where I was and what I need to do next. I'm gonna make an effort to beat it before Christmas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Imagine being someone who is a fan of the Gears of War franchise and you run out to the store and buy a brand new copy of the 5th edition of the game and you rush home all excited to play it, and when you start it up... that's your first 20 minutes. lol

That's how stupid the Gears of War developers believe their playerbase is

and they're right lol

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
tutorials are good when the game has enough depth or novel mechanics for it to actually be a learning process, walking through decade old industry wide conventions is boring.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lurker2006 posted:

tutorials are good when the game has enough depth or novel mechanics for it to actually be a learning process, walking through decade old industry wide conventions is boring.

it's better if those mechanics aren't in a separate tutorial segment but are just part of the gameplay

Doom Eternal is both bad and good about this, every time that you get a new weapon you're forced into some loving VR thing to try it out in but then the game is also pretty good about giving you environments that are well-suited to your new weapon, so the design is a loving mess of conflicting choices just like everything else in that game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

QuarkJets posted:

it's better if those mechanics aren't in a separate tutorial segment but are just part of the gameplay

Doom Eternal is both bad and good about this, every time that you get a new weapon you're forced into some loving VR thing to try it out in but then the game is also pretty good about giving you environments that are well-suited to your new weapon, so the design is a loving mess of conflicting choices just like everything else in that game

This is what pissed me off about Prey. The second you pick up the Gloo Cannon the game rips control away with one of those pop-ups that spells out literally everything you can do with it, ruining the more subtle and diagetic level design that naturally hints towards its potential. Including a staircase of gloo blobs literally a foot and a half in front of the device that wordlessly gets the point across.

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure they never actually get around to explaining that gloo-frozen enemies (really if they're suffering from any status effect at all) take extra damage, which is a much more subtle mechanic effect and has a big impact on how tough early game enemies are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

This is what pissed me off about Prey. The second you pick up the Gloo Cannon the game rips control away with one of those pop-ups that spells out literally everything you can do with it, ruining the more subtle and diagetic level design that naturally hints towards its potential. Including a staircase of gloo blobs literally a foot and a half in front of the device that wordlessly gets the point across.

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure they never actually get around to explaining that gloo-frozen enemies (really if they're suffering from any status effect at all) take extra damage, which is a much more subtle mechanic effect and has a big impact on how tough early game enemies are.

Kinda demonstrates the problem in that tutorials tend to over-explain the obvious to the point of tedium while completely failing to explain actually important mechanics that aren't immediately intuitive.

Almost get the idea that tutorials are often forced into games after the fact because playtesters got confused about something and producers demand it be spelled out for them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The worst combination were some older games that had an in universe drill sargeant or whatever who broke the fourth wall by going like "Listen up, maggots! You have ten seconds to clear this obstacle course! To do it you need to press the sprint key to run faster!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
counter point, kojima getting Kiefer Sutherland to say "quick, use the crouch button" totally seriously as big boss in mgs v was, probably unintentionally, pretty funny

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
The tutorial in far cry blood dragon was the best tutorial in a modern game.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I never new the horrors of war before I set the number of bots in in Ravenfield to 400 and saw them coming over that hill. My computer choked, but so did I

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

chainchompz posted:

The tutorial in far cry blood dragon was the best tutorial in a modern game.

cynical at best, but more just a terribly bad joke as the entire franchise as well.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
for a buck on Game Pass Ultimate, Halo Infinite is pretty good.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i think new cortana is corny. i hate her! manic pixie AI girl

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've always thought Cortana was a boring character and that the games focused too much on her as opposed to the cool aliens and super soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best way to play Halo Infinite is just zoning out on the dumb story. The only thing I enjoyed about it was the first 5 minutes where you meet stranded pelican guy before he basically just disappears and reminds you over comms that he exists every three hours. (not?)Cortana is annoying. I have no idea whats going on tbh outside of me needing a weapon that I'm not allowed to know about even though I am Master Chief and Master Chief knows about it. And some high level gorrila is mad at me.

The gameplay loving slaps though. It's so goddamn fun. Although it could use more variety in the side stuff.