Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

I will eventually post all the things I've found that go on around here. I'm not done exploring yet because space travel is hard. For every minute I get to look at something I spend maybe an hour trying to find it. Maybe I'm just a really terrible pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Just finished the DLC and I really liked everything except you guessed it, the stealth sections. The first zone was truly excellent, once I realised how you solve the puzzle I was simultaneously heartbroken and amazed. I really liked how you could make the stealth bits easier by putting down the artifact, as well. While I actually enjoyed sneaking around, the rest of the stealth felt a little uncharacteristically stupid. I can see where the puzzles were for the Canyon i.e. using the now-open doors to traverse, but I still don't understand how you do the village hole. I just brute forced it with some dumb luck. If they add clever ways to circumvent the stealth, this game would be on par with the base game for me. As is, it's just a touch worse, though I love everything else.

Also, is anyone else a little disappointed that the ring world's physics never came into play? It would have been sick if the artificial gravity shut off late into the loop, or something. Not sure how that would work with the water, but I was half-expecting something like that to happen at some point.

One more thing: if the Stranger doesn't get destroyed by the supernova, what exactly do we die from at the end of the loop?

EDIT: Rectified the spoiler tag, thank you Superrodan

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 11, 2021

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Updog Scully posted:

Just finished the DLC and I really liked everything except you guessed it, the stealth sections. The first zone was truly excellent, once I realised how you solve the puzzle I was simultaneously heartbroken and amazed. I really liked how you could make the stealth bits easier by putting down the artifact, as well. The rest of the stealth felt a little uncharacteristically stupid, like I can see where the puzzles were for the Canyon i.e. using the now-open doors to traverse, but I still don't understand how you do the village hole. I just brute forced it with some dumb luck. If they add clever ways to circumvent the stealth, this game would be on par with the base game for me. As is, it's just a touch worse, though I love everything else.

Also, is anyone else a little disappointed that the ring world's physics never came into play? It would have been sick if the artificial gravity shut off late into the loop, or something. Not sure how that would work with the water, but I was half-expecting something like that to happen at some point.

One more thing: if the Stranger doesn't get destroyed by the supernova, what exactly do we die from at the end of the loop?

I fixed your first spoiler tag when I quoted you.

I would say that there are clever ways to bypass the Endless Canyon for sure, and Starlit Cove is much harder but there are some things that help. You can wait until the last minute to let the creatures die just like in the first zone but you have very little time to get it right.

As for your final question, you don't "die" so much as have the memories of that 22 minutes on the Stranger transported back into your previous self 22 minutes ago. There's a version in an alternate future timeline where you just live out your days alone on The Stranger

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Actually the information being sent back in time makes a lot of sense, considering what happens when you jump into the ATP. With regards to the stealth sections, though, I kept trying to cheese it in the same way you get past the first zone, i.e. with Starlit Cove I tried to use the Cove tilting to prevent the elevators from slotting into the chutes, to no avail. Kind of strange how there's little red herrings like that, like the Cove tilting and the lights flickering.

Also, I realised after beating the Cove that when the elk catch you and blow your light out, they are in a way killing you. Not as cool as when they snap your neck if you're not holding the lantern.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought this guy had gone and found the castle with the dead humans in it, but it's just a raft! I mean, it's interesting, but it's not:

oh holy poo poo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Updog Scully posted:

Also, is anyone else a little disappointed that [spoiler]the ring world's physics never came into play? It would have been sick if the artificial gravity shut off late into the loop, or something. Not sure how that would work with the water, but I was half-expecting something like that to happen at some point.

The ring world doesn't have artificial gravity. It doesn't have any gravity at all. I mean, like, code-wise it does, but speaking "in-world" it does not, it acts exactly how you would expect a ringworld with no artificial gravity to act, and the lack of artificial gravity is why they need the dam to begin with.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

GlyphGryph posted:

The ring world doesn't have artificial gravity. It doesn't have any gravity at all. I mean, like, code-wise it does, but speaking "in-world" it does not, it acts exactly how you would expect a ringworld with no artificial gravity to act, and the lack of artificial gravity is why they need the dam to begin with.

the ring world shouldn't have running water in the first place, because both directions would be uphill. Probably better that the ringworld centrifugal gravity isn't a game mechanic.

Game theory time. I present: Eyes Theory.

the singular Eye attracts the Strangers, with two eyes, who attract the Nomai, with three eyes, who precede the Hearthians, with four eyes. Hypothesis: the aliens in the sequel will have five eyes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Updog Scully posted:

the ring world shouldn't have running water in the first place, because both directions would be uphill. Probably better that the ringworld centrifugal gravity isn't a game mechanic.

If I remember the math correctly, it actually would, and it would actually get faster and faster as part of a bigger and bigger wave over time if you didn't have something slowing it down. But I'm curious - why do you think either direction would be "uphill"? And then why both of them?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought this guy had gone and found the castle with the dead humans in it, but it's just a raft! I mean, it's interesting, but it's not:

is this a dev asset they forgot to remove, or

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Jen X posted:

is this a dev asset they forgot to remove, or

It's an easter egg that directly references a different time loop game called Elsinore.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Updog Scully posted:

Hypothesis: the aliens in the sequel will have five eyes.

Hypothesis: the aliens in the sequel

For anyone going insane over these, I will eventually post some video's of at least somewhat plausible situations to these situations. If you see these photos and say, "thats stupid" or my personal fav "nothing is there" please carry on!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The Juggernaut posted:

For anyone going insane over these, I will eventually post some video's of at least somewhat plausible situations to these situations. If you see these photos and say, "thats stupid" or my personal fav "nothing is there" please carry on!
As much as I'd love to believe you figured out something cool in the DLC and I'm just missing something obvious in your screenshots, nothing stands out as obviously notable or difficult to achieve and you've been dragging this out for so long that I'm no longer interested.

If you edit in an explanation of whatever the hell you're on about, someone else may appreciate it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh HELL yes

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like you're running into the places various interiors are actually stored on the world map. IIRC the cloaking field around the Stranger was partly inspired by people finding the big dark orb that contains the actual interior of Dark Bramble.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Superrodan posted:

As for your final question, you don't "die" so much as have the memories of that 22 minutes on the Stranger transported back into your previous self 22 minutes ago. There's a version in an alternate future timeline where you just live out your days alone on The Stranger

I'm still unsure between two ways of reading it:

1. Every time you get to the end of the loop you essentially get prestige-d. Your memories go back in time but every time there is also another 'you' that dies or drifts forever in space or whatever. Who knows how much continuity there is between your separate 'selves' though. Each run might be a wholly new person who just remembers stuff they never did, while the original dies

2. The ATP resets spacetime so the future you experience in those 22mins never actually happened. You don't 'die' because you never died. You wake up one day with memories of things that never happened. The only exception to this is when you jump into the ATP itself, sending your physical self back in time. Then there's two of you, but one of you (along with the memories you both have) come from a future that never existed. I kinda prefer this explanation though it does make my wonder how the ATP itself doesn't violate causality, especially when you send a probe or a whole person through it.

I liked the Nomai writing musing about some of these philosophical questions too.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Juggernaut posted:

All I see here is just some horrible jpg artifacts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm still unsure between two ways of reading it:

1. Every time you get to the end of the loop you essentially get prestige-d. Your memories go back in time but every time there is also another 'you' that dies or drifts forever in space or whatever. Who knows how much continuity there is between your separate 'selves' though. Each run might be a wholly new person who just remembers stuff they never did, while the original dies

2. The ATP resets spacetime so the future you experience in those 22mins never actually happened. You don't 'die' because you never died. You wake up one day with memories of things that never happened. The only exception to this is when you jump into the ATP itself, sending your physical self back in time. Then there's two of you, but one of you (along with the memories you both have) come from a future that never existed. I kinda prefer this explanation though it does make my wonder how the ATP itself doesn't violate causality, especially when you send a probe or a whole person through it.

I liked the Nomai writing musing about some of these philosophical questions too.

It seems pretty clear to me that it's 1. The ash twin project was described by the nomai as transmitting information, not physical objects. Although the high energy lab demonstrates that the principle does also work with physical objects.

I've always assumed the way it works is that the Ash Twin Project begins recording your memories at the moment the cannon fires, and when the supernova goes off it transmits what it has. This is why you're aware of the moment and nature of your death from last time, but it also means that yes, your corpse is cooling on the floor/roasting in the sun/digesting in a fish for whatever time remained in that cycle before the supernova.

These memories are of things that never happened, but the future didn't cease to exist until they were implanted in your past self and cause your decisions to change. This is also why you still "die" when you're on board the Stranger and out of range of the supernova- your body is still alive (unless you turned yourself into a matrix ghost) but the ATP ended its recording there, and the game shifts the player's perspective away from the living future version and back to the past version on Timber Hearth.

If an outside observer incapable of time travel were watching this process, they'd see a hearthian finishing their launch prep, walking up to the elevator, and suddenly sprouting a new set of memories out of nowhere that describe future events. They would then go on to do a perfect run and reset the universe because this observer would not be aware of the futures in which they didn't.

I guess whether the future events still count as "happened" after a cycle reset depends on your interpretation of quantum mechanics.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 11, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thanks i hate love ? this

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I 3D Printed the artifact from Echoes of the Eye!

Print files here if anyone else wants to print it, I smashed apart one of those LED Tea Lights to make the flame in the base of it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sorry if I'm interrupting an ongoing discussion. I'm playing through blind for the first time and I'm trying to avoid even minor spoilers, so I haven't read anything in the thread. I am just at a point where I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to, but I can't quite get it to work because of game jank.

Basically, I am trying to get to the Quantum Moon. I'm trying to use the gravity cannon on Brittle Hollow using the recalled shuttle. I have been trying to lock the moon in place around Brittle Hollow by going to the moon locator on Ember Twin, shooting the scout onto the Brittle Hollow location stone, then going in and out of satellite view mode until the Quantum Moon is over Brittle Hollow, then I take a picture with both Brittle Hollow and the Quantum Moon in frame. I turn around a few times to confirm the moon doesn't disappear when not looked at. I've even waited around a while to confirm that the sun blocking line-of-sight with the moon doesn't seem to break the lock. But when I try to fly to Brittle Hollow, it seems that the lock is broken when I go into flight mode. I even changed the picture-taking buttons to avoid accidentally taking a new picture while flying, but the lock seems to break anyway. Once at the gravity cannon, I try to go in and out of satellite view mode while taking pictures from the scout in an attempt to get the Quantum Moon in frame around Brittle Hollow again, but it hasn't worked after several tries.

Please respond with either "You're doing it right, just keep trying", or "You're doing something wrong". Even if I'm 90% right, please just say I'm doing it wrong and don't blurt out the last 10%.
Follow-up to this for anyone that cares. I eventually realized that I learned the wrong lesson in the quantum trials. I thought that the "observer" was the scout itself looking through its camera eye, and became the observer by taking a picture. But it turns out that just the static picture itself is enough. I was doing the very elaborate setup because I had earlier almost mistakenly done things the right way, but I must have come in too hot to the quantum moon and just bounced back out into space, and thought that there was some video gamey force field thing preventing me from landing with my normal spaceship, which is why I thought I needed to use the recalled shuttle.

I still like my method better, and wish that had been the solution, and that the quantum locking worked more like I thought it did.

And I didn't even find the thing I thought I'd find there, which was the way to get to the Ash Twin core. Turns out, you just need to step inside the little nook next to the warp spot for a second to avoid getting sucked up by the sand column.

It didn't take much more time to finish the base game after that. I'm pretty sure I filled in all of the logs, unless I somehow missed a whole section. But I doubt it. Starting the DLC tomorrow.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just in case - what did you find on the Quantum Moon?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kazzah posted:

Just in case - what did you find on the Quantum Moon?
I found Solanum and had a conversation using rocks and got some plot exposition that didn't reveal much new to me, from what I recall.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I found Solanum and had a conversation using rocks and got some plot exposition that didn't reveal much new to me, from what I recall.

YOU ALSO FOUND A NEW FRIEND

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

The Juggernaut posted:

Yeah this isn’t anything, it’s just how they tried to hide the insides of Dark Bramble before it loads in, and it looks like the Stranger’s cloaking device, but it’s got nothing to do with it, it’s been like that since before the dlc came out.

The raft floating in space I’m still curious about though, if you ever decide to post about it in a way that isn’t vague or cryptic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Follow-up to this for anyone that cares. I eventually realized that I learned the wrong lesson in the quantum trials. I thought that the "observer" was the scout itself looking through its camera eye, and became the observer by taking a picture.

You are the observer, yeah, not the probe. I can see how that would cause confusion!

Just as a note, you can combine nouns because I missed that the first time. Still, if you did everything else first there's probably not too much new to discover that you didn't already have reason to suspect.

It didn't take much more time to finish the base game after that. I'm pretty sure I filled in all of the logs, unless I somehow missed a whole section. But I doubt it. Starting the DLC tomorrow.

I have noticed lots of people miss visiting Lantern, if you haven't checked out the structures there.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 12, 2021

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

You are the observer, yeah, not the probe. I can see how that would cause confusion!

Just as a note, you can combine nouns because I missed that the first time. Still, if you did everything else first there's probably not too much new to discover that you didn't already have reason to suspect.

I have noticed lots of people miss visiting Lantern, if you haven't checked out the structures there.
I didn't think to combine nouns. I think I may trek back. I want to find out what she thinks of her and me together. :allears:

And I found the structure on Lantern pretty early in my run.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

GlyphGryph posted:

The other thing many miss for the complete rumor log achievement in the base game is that (vague enough that it probably doesn't help with the achievement) something is unexpectedly dependent on how far into the loop you are, specifically dialogue changes over the course of the loop. To narrow things down, Chert's dialogue, specifically. And to save you more time (or if you thought you already did that), you have to talk to them in three different time windows: 1. most of the loop 2. near the end, and 3. very near the end.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

repiv posted:

ok let me just reinstall the game and fly around aimlessly in space looking for a small object that isn't marked on my map and may not even have spawned

you're being extremely cryptic and the only things you've shown are (a) something that looks like a bug and (b) something that was already well known

please give us anything to indicate there's something new here

Yes!

Great shop! Never thought I would be mocked by OW players.

Not shopped!

If someone can see what's going on in the last two photos unprompted you are on the right track. PM if you want my thoughts or confirm your suspicions.

Actual Satan posted:

I never doubted you, Juggernaut. But can you ride it?

Thanks! I don't think so but anything is possible. Haven't been exploring that yet. As you can see I've been doing other things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Why not just tell us what we're supposed to be looking for?

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Because its more fun when you all stomp your feet because you are mad. I also haven't done what I'm trying to do yet so I don't know its possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think anyone is mad, more just annoyed that you keep acting like you have some crazy new secret and won't stop being annoying cryptic about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah you're just a pigeon making GBS threads up the thread. You're not being clever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
PM me if you want the nude cheatcode to enter at the, well, you know...

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

GlyphGryph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w15H6Giqoo

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Herein I will attempt to divine the mind of most excellent poster 'The Juggernaut' based on evidence provided from prior posts. In the interest of brevity and lack of informational content and only the last will be considered.

It contained three screenshots.
1- A view of the map of the game Outer Wilds, post release of the 'Echoes of the Eye' DLC. The sun of the animated solar system is rendered offset from centre. This is only slightly remarkable.
2- The same view, later in the gameplay loop. The 'Interloper' comet has been selected. The orbital tracks of the various planets can be seen.
3- As #2, but the comet has been subsumed by the sun. It is possible they never previously noted this behaviour.

My conclusion:
They have an avatar of a rainbow dumpster Hitler. This is not encouraging.

Recommendation:
I suggest that poster 'Concurred' has provided the superior analysis of the intended message.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

There's also something circular in the third image that isn't in the second, but it's very hard to see without viewing the picture at full size. It's below the sun, between Dark Bramble and the satellite.

By the way, does anyone know how to view images at full size without having to open two extra tabs every time? Clicking the resolution just fits it to the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Shwoo posted:

There's also something circular in the third image that isn't in the second, but it's very hard to see without viewing the picture at full size. It's below the sun, between Dark Bramble and the satellite.

By the way, does anyone know how to view images at full size without having to open two extra tabs every time? Clicking the resolution just fits it to the screen.

Crap if the image quality is holding you back I can send the :files: or post them full size here. Are we allowed to break the tables? I don't see it in the rules.