Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Didn't BoB and Watson have a lot of run ins and everyone assumed BoB was the rear end in a top hat? Because - and not to defend BoB but it kind of seems like he's not actually that bad of a coach and was saddled with a front office that was crumbling around him and a massive dickhead as his franchise QB?

For all his failures he did bring home 4 division titles in 6 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Didn't BoB and Watson have a lot of run ins and everyone assumed BoB was the rear end in a top hat? Because - and not to defend BoB but it kind of seems like he's not actually that bad of a coach and was saddled with a front office that was crumbling around him and a massive dickhead as his franchise QB?

The game against kc in the playoffs will be the epitaph of his coaching career

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

spaced ninja posted:

Naw Watson was pretty vocal about wanting to get Bieniemy and started asking for a trade shortly after we hired Culley.

It was before the Culley hiring, it was when Bieniemy wasn't even considered a finalist IIRC but also because he was promised a say in the GM search and then they hired Caserio without talking to him at all

BlindSite posted:

BoB was definitely an rear end in a top hat

And winning the AFCS hasn't been an accomplishment since the Peyton and McNair days

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BlindSite posted:

Rick Smith was the one he was feuding with, and O'Brien ended up taking his job and promptly cratered the team

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Intruder posted:

No bullshit an expansion draft would probably result in a better roster than what they currently have

Well it's a good thing they still have a guy on ice who they could flip into substantial draft capital.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

O'Brian also couldn't get along with DeAndre Hopkins which is why he traded Hopkins for way less than he was worth.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

way less than he was worth is an understatement. he was traded for a guy whose contract the cardinals were desperately trying to dump

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1469344539039178756?t=j55NFlScU6xTIMi7TJbgtA&s=09

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This should have happened the first time Tyrod got injured but at least we are doing it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel bad for Tyrod, he gets a chance to start and looks good then immediately gets injured

Seems like his career in a nutshell

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I love Tyrod and feel bad for him, but man, no one can say at this point he was never given a chance. Herbert and to a lesser extent Baker were fluke occurrences, but if you can't keep David Mills at bay…

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Tyrod's been snakebitten, which is a bad thing to be when you're also just kinda fine at best.

I'd say that David Mills at least has the tiniest potential to develop into something but it's not like the Texans have been doing that anywhere else on their roster this year, so....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think Tyrod is much better than Davis Mills. But also, who cares

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They don't want to gently caress up and accidentally win another game

They're already probably locked out of #1 cause the Lions aren't going to win again

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

fsif posted:

I love Tyrod and feel bad for him, but man, no one can say at this point he was never given a chance. Herbert and to a lesser extent Baker were fluke occurrences, but if you can't keep David Mills at bay…

It's absolutely not about keeping Davis Mills "at bay" its just that we know Tyrod isn't the future after the last few games and need to see if we have even a glimmer of anything with Mills before the draft rolls around

We also, as Intruder said, could stand not to accidentally win anymore as well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The wild thing is the Texans have 1 receiver under 27 who's caught more then a dozen passes for them this year and no running backs that have touched the ball under 27.

You'd think they'd be rummaging through everyone's practice squads just hoping to find some average players in the rough even, but nope, David Johnson and like Chris Conley need those snaps!

You could still lose by 20 and start seeing if there's the next great Rex Burkhead on the Vikings practice squad or whatever

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That's the smart long-term play, but the Texans have to fight a pretty awful FA reputation following all of this. If they start replacing the free agents signed/players cap dumped on them for their best players with random PS players league wide, it might hurt them in 2-3 seasons when they'd want to play in the free agent market.

Counterpoint that's a long time to rebuild trust in a league with 0 long term memory. I don't know how much I fault Houston for playing its signings. Maybe they could churn for a league average lineman somewhere if they try long enough

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's absolutely not about keeping Davis Mills "at bay" its just that we know Tyrod isn't the future after the last few games and need to see if we have even a glimmer of anything with Mills before the draft rolls around

We also, as Intruder said, could stand not to accidentally win anymore as well.

Mills has already played in like nine games, though. I'm just stat line reading here, but it doesn't look like Tyrod's really been any better in the past four games than Mills has been.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right I'm not saying there's a good solution here but Tyrod Taylor is basically a known quality and you can still sort of convince yourself Mills might eventually figure something out (he won't)

I guess you could cast that as not holding off Mills, sure, but then again I'm cutting Taylor the "he got hurt" slack

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

That's the smart long-term play, but the Texans have to fight a pretty awful FA reputation following all of this. If they start replacing the free agents signed/players cap dumped on them for their best players with random PS players league wide, it might hurt them in 2-3 seasons when they'd want to play in the free agent market.

Counterpoint that's a long time to rebuild trust in a league with 0 long term memory. I don't know how much I fault Houston for playing its signings. Maybe they could churn for a league average lineman somewhere if they try long enough

They're hosed free agent wise for a long while. They're going to desperately have to pay overs unless Watson has a complete 180 in just about all aspects of his life and his person apart from what he does on the field. I think they're hosed until they clean house in the front office and that'll probably take the owner dying for it to happen.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

They're hosed free agent wise for a long while. They're going to desperately have to pay overs unless Watson has a complete 180 in just about all aspects of his life and his person apart from what he does on the field. I think they're hosed until they clean house in the front office and that'll probably take the owner dying for it to happen.

Good news we just had that happen so the current failson probably has a good 30 years left

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
They really just need to trade whatever pick they get away, stack up on picks and grab a bunch of linemen when you can. There really isn’t a good qb worth reaching for this year and even if you find a decent one he’s just gonna die by week 6. One draft isn’t gonna fix this team so start at least trying to get some capital.

They won’t do any of that of course.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

BlindSite posted:

Here's the problem: Deshaun Watson has the fourth-biggest contract in the NFL. Until they find a way to stop paying him money, we're lucky to pay anybody anything.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
from a guy who probably cares waaaayyyy too much about the Texans, a profoundly hopeless and despairing writeup of where the gently caress the Texans go from here

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I don’t think in all of my years of caring about football that I’ve seen a team as completely hopeless as this year’s Texans. They’re not the worst team (wassup Lions) but on every single level from the guys on the roster to the GM there’s a pervasive feeling of death to it. I guess that’s what happens when a team that has already been bad at decision-making has an additional anchor thrown at them (one which it’s very possible they had a hand in making) but even teams that go 0-16 or that are just beginning a multi-year tank process have *something* to look forward to.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Forrest on Fire posted:

To build on this. That's why it was so dumb to fill your roster with replacement level vets. Not only do they not help you win. They screw you for the future. No one thinks yeah let's sign david Johnson or rex burkhead to a long term contract and build around them. And vets who have options going forward are going to flee. You think Tunsil or cooks want to stay? And they're messing around with the defensive side by inactivating some of their best players.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Texans just have this feel of “let’s try again in a few years” from the coaching staff all the way down. It’s a compliance exercise to see what the bare minimum requirements are to call yourself an NFL team and still participate in profit sharing. The entire roster and coaching staff will be completely turned over in three years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I don’t think in all of my years of caring about football that I’ve seen a team as completely hopeless as this year’s Texans. They’re not the worst team (wassup Lions) but on every single level from the guys on the roster to the GM there’s a pervasive feeling of death to it. I guess that’s what happens when a team that has already been bad at decision-making has an additional anchor thrown at them (one which it’s very possible they had a hand in making) but even teams that go 0-16 or that are just beginning a multi-year tank process have *something* to look forward to.

At least the Lions have a war chest of high draft picks, cap room and a front office that seems to have a plan.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Texans just have this feel of “let’s try again in a few years” from the coaching staff all the way down. It’s a compliance exercise to see what the bare minimum requirements are to call yourself an NFL team and still participate in profit sharing. The entire roster and coaching staff will be completely turned over in three years.

As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, I feel this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1468690443496005642

This is incredible

This is some powerful "my mom says I'm handsome" energy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I doubt his mom ever said that.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

BlindSite posted:

At least the Lions have a war chest of high draft picks, cap room and a front office that seems to have a plan.

They also have some building blocks on the roster already: good tight end, nice running back rotation, Sewell looks like the real deal and some of the defensive rookies have shown promise. The lions are bad but there's guys you can put on a ticket stub, ya know. The Texans rookies have been awful, their two best players are the quarterback and left tackle (aka big parts of the reason why they're in the spot they're in) and maybe the dumbest front office since the Millen Lions. Unless they can trade Watson to some sucker, find good talent all throughout the next few drafts, draft another high end quarterback protect, hire a good coach after Culley gets run off, actually develop any sort of plan for the franchise, and be even a little bit competent then they are going to be bad for a long time

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a compliance exercise to see what the bare minimum requirements are to call yourself an NFL team and still participate in profit sharing.

In an ideal world pro sports leagues would look to preserve the overall quality of product using their name and pull franchises for deliberate attempts to not compete and auction them off to other potential owners/cities that would be willing to try. But we live in America and quality means nothing so the McNairs can run the Texans like the Pittsburgh Pirates if they please, and so the NFL will pay for the McNairs' bad business bets and charity ball oversized checks for many years to come.

The only recourse for the non-billionaire class is to stop paying attention to them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I doubt his mom ever said that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dirty shrimp money posted:

In an ideal world pro sports leagues would look to preserve the overall quality of product using their name and pull franchises for deliberate attempts to not compete and auction them off to other potential owners/cities that would be willing to try. But we live in America and quality means nothing so the McNairs can run the Texans like the Pittsburgh Pirates if they please, and so the NFL will pay for the McNairs' bad business bets and charity ball oversized checks for many years to come.

The only recourse for the non-billionaire class is to stop paying attention to them.

What does the version of the Texans that’s trying to compete look like, and how does it differ from the current version?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

What does the version of the Texans that’s trying to compete look like, and how does it differ from the current version?

Where is our starting point for this question because the answer would seem to change significantly.

The answer will generally be 'not what you've done' but the specifics change.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Every NFL team is trying to win some are just not good at it. You think Jerry Jones helps a team win?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that the Texans would rather lose than deviate from Easterby's "vision"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah but the problem you run into is that Easterby will tell you the losses are BECAUSE they deviated from his vision

This isn't baseball or basketball; you can't explicitly tank in a way that works if only because the only reason to do so is for a generational QB and you never know when one's really out there. Easterby thinks he's trying to win, he's just an idiot. Unfortunately for us, Cal is dumber than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The momentum from stringing together a couple wins is worth a lot more than moving up 5 spots in the draft, generally. You throw a couple games and your players may start taking practice / taping off, and at that point you have potentially hosed up a whole slew of prior picks.