Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's training quads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

huh posted:

Bandai Europe website says this:

Transported to ages long ago, you will relive the Shattering, a war that brought darkness to the Lands Between, initiated by demigods’ hunger for power. You’ll fight alongside General Radahn and Malenia the Severed, but even these two undefeatable warriors couldn’t reunite a world so badly broken. There is only one hope left: the hope that a new Elden Lord will rise and lift the veil of shadows that has fallen over Marika’s domain.

This goes against basically everything we know about the game so I feel like this was written by an intern. Maybe it’s only referring to the trailer?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pulcinella posted:

Edit 2:
Isn’t “the death rune was stolen” literally the start of Suikoden 1?

It's the "Soul Eater" rune, but yes.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.

multijoe posted:

His twee storyteller affect is by far the worst part of his channel imo, gently caress off with that corny poo poo
^

Also Suikoden got it from Glorantha get it right nerds :colbert:

ainda_ fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 11, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

just gonna clarify that he is not sitting on the horse. the horse is dangling between his legs. it swings to and fro when he moves. make of this what you will

nopants
May 29, 2004

giZm posted:

What's that SSJ4 Ogre doing to that horse?

general radahn hangs dong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nopants posted:

general radahn hangs dong

I guess we just found the part of the lore that George RR Martin wrote.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

the food and clothing item deeplore is going to be grest

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Vaati bad and his shills should be arrested and forced to play switch games FOR BABIES

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't like seeing arguments about vaati. anyone got some arguments about how they named the only important women melania and melena. send me a PM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cavauro posted:

don't like seeing arguments about vaati. anyone got some arguments about how they named the only important women melania and melena. send me a PM

They knew Trump would be president and wanted to curry favor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Groovelord Neato posted:

They knew Trump would be president and wanted to curry favor.

Tokita posted:

Tokita] True, well, this is one that I personally like and I think it's a very painful fantasy drama... There's pain there and from a human perspective there are themes of racism, politics, citizenship, and so on (...) So this is a work that is psychologically quote painful in a lot of ways and making a game with Miyazaki which such a huge world view.. on a world-level, everyone's looking forward to it so...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Consider the following:
1) there's a castle in the sky
2) there's a guy called General Radahn, Conqueror of the Stars
3) you know what other game had an elden ring?

Halo 3.

We're absolutely going into space in Elden Ring. I know my fantasy tropes, I know the From writing where we go into a new unbelievably hosed up location in the final act, let's gooo

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also that's absolutely a horsecock yes

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Elden Ring: that's absolutely a horsecock yes

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i forgot to mention queen mereka and her daughters melene and milaneia. as well as mequena whose blade melania was mentioned already. I appreciate no one correcting me. this (fromsoft) is the greatest community in gaming.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 11, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Names tend to be similar for relations in Souls. Gwyn's son is Gwyndolin and his daughter is Gwynevere. Siegmeyer of Catarina's daughter is Sieglinde. It's why I assumed Godwyn the Golden from the story video is the brother of Godrick the Golden the boss we've already seen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Vaati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cQh6Xj-fA

By the way the official website has a summary of the trailer that's a lot easier to understand and puts in some more details

quote:

The storyteller folds her slender hands - both pairs - and speaks.
“It happened an age ago. But when I recall, I see it true.”
So begins the tale of the Shattering, a devastating war between the children of Marika, Demigods of the Lands Between.

One grim night in the depths of winter, a flock of unknown assassins stole across the Lands Between.
In a coetaneous attack, this foul covenant snuffed out the lives of many of the God-Queen’s kin throughout the empire, too numerous and too scattered for her godly protection to save.

The assassins’ targets were multifold, but none was as devastating a loss to the Eternal Queen as that of Godwyn the Golden. After his death, the Elden Ring was somehow shattered, and the order of the world broke with it.

Out of this chaos came war. Open, bitter war, pitting blood against blood and kin against kin.
The conflict broke a vast and prosperous empire into brittle fragments.

No single side could find enough purchase to maintain a decisive victory, even when fueled by the power of a Great Rune.
The battle of General Radahn against Malenia the Severed illustrated that neither strength nor skill alone would be enough to take control of the entirety of the lands Marika had united.

And so, the Lands Between are no longer gripped by open war, but caught in an uneasy stalemate that seems impossible to resolve.

“Unless of course,” the storyteller says, a coy smile on both her lips, “thou shouldst take the crown?”

If the lords are in a stalemate then killing Godrick as the first boss will probably kickstart the plot. Maybe there'll even be a timeskip afterwards to show the other lords acting in response to the balance of power being broken

Also this seems heavily influenced by Norse mythology, if that wasn't already obvious. Godwyn's death signalling the start of a massive war is really similar to Baldr's death before Ragnarok. Also it all starting in winter could be a reference to Fimbulwinter

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 11, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goblin week posted:

Consider the following:
1) there's a castle in the sky
2) there's a guy called General Radahn, Conqueror of the Stars
3) you know what other game had an elden ring?

Halo 3.

We're absolutely going into space in Elden Ring. I know my fantasy tropes, I know the From writing where we go into a new unbelievably hosed up location in the final act, let's gooo

Ultima came out in 1980, that's not special.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I want Elden Ring to be a stealth remake of Shadow Tower abyss. Starting out with swords ending with rocket launchers and machine guns

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

RatHat posted:

By the way the official website has a summary of the trailer that's a lot easier to understand and puts in some more details
1. I guess that explains why so many of the bosses are redheads.
2. "Neither strength nor skill alone would be enough to take control of the entirety of the lands" = quality builds will be OP?
3. This story is weirdly reminiscent of a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons, which I'm pretty sure took a bunch of inspiration from From games, so I'm excited to see their take on a similar idea.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The plot of this game seems remarkably easy to follow compared to the Dark Souls games, tbh.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
As a red head I identify with the evil in this game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RatHat posted:

This goes against basically everything we know about the game so I feel like this was written by an intern. Maybe it’s only referring to the trailer?

Do your best to get your faction reputation high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, tiny horses, my soul is mine and I am alive!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just re-watched this from 6 months ago. Some cool things I'd forgotten about. Redheaded giant, large hands with many fingers, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Huy2cdih0

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Gologle posted:

The plot of this game seems remarkably easy to follow compared to the Dark Souls games, tbh.

I don't know that Dark Souls is that hard to understand, at least the basics (Gwyn linked the fire, it wasn't permanent, so go do it again. And again. And again). There's a lot of details, many of which make no sense at all, but at least the basic concept isn't too hard to grasp.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Ah, yes, the goblin hero, Dee.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

acyclicity posted:

Ah, yes, the goblin hero, Dee.

What's gobblin Dee's Nuts with you???

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So is this a statement about how we communicate, suggesting that everything we say is somehow a reference- that our words evoke a shared cultural understanding that goes far beyond the words themselves, and that what we call "memes" are not mere repetition but in fact a basic part of communication? Or is it simply a joke in the popular "deez nutz" format? This is why we need Vaati and those like him, now more than ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1470268852676165632?s=20

Inc Elden Ring network test datamine. I doubt From left too much in there but watch out if you care about spoilers

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

RatHat posted:

Inc Elden Ring network test datamine. I doubt From left too much in there but watch out if you care about spoilers

Yep I’ve already seen someone mod Elden Ring entities into Bloodborne.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1470905412245286919

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiAliTEFFo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RatHat posted:

The datamine found the entire godamn script. :suicide:

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1470939219791167489?s=20

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

it all makes sense

https://twitter.com/_7albi/status/1470784154606489611 for more

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, no. I can make it a few days dodging spoilers, but two months? Goddammit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want Dead Space style hero deaths to become more common in other games, movies, television, kids shows and breakfast cereals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Why do people do this? For internet cred I suppose, but who wants to have the whole game spoiled for them?