Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

syntaxfunction posted:

Y'all I've graphed out the trajectory of crypto!

You can’t fool me! That’s a Hot Wheels track I built in 1978.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Salt Fish posted:

This is on pepsi.com right now:

This is existentially embarrassing

Am I missing something? .1 eth is over $400 dollars, is this the small fee?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
you need to get a small loan of one-million dollars to afford the pepsicoin

drk
Jan 16, 2005
you're telling me owning this pepsi ad costs only $400?

edit: sorry, a link to some JSON referencing a copy of this ad that will probably 404 almost immediately

drk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 11, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

drk posted:

you're telling me owning this pepsi ad costs only $400?

edit: sorry, a link to some JSON referencing a copy of this ad that will probably 404 almost immediately

Woah who left this pile of money just laying around! Yoink!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xanderkish posted:

Can I get an NFT for a NFT? Can I have a Matryoshka Doll of NFT's?

Yes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can make an NFT of literally anything because a NFT is just an entry on the Blockchain saying "this address owns [data]"
So I can put a link to a picture there, an actual picture (if I could afford it) or even a string of characters that comprise a token

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ok_0S/status/1469422038444126225

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Tunicate posted:

How is working with the Barrow government? I was kind of disappointed to hear he went back on the term limit agreement, but I don't know much about the day to day governance.

we do most of our work through the YEP as our local partners, and they're pretty critical of the promises that he's failed to come through with. when he first took power they were happy that they were allowed to at least criticize the president without being disappeared, but the gimmick of that wore off pretty quickly when people found out nothing fundamentally changed. most of the gambians i've heard from care less about the term limit and more about stuff like his failure to actually do anything to help the ridiculously high youth employment (and given the countriy's reliance on tourism they got absolutely hammered by covid) and failure to make it easier for the diaspora to vote. but given that african diasporas tend to vote against power it's almost certainly a self-preservation move.

that being said, the main thing people were worried about these months was barrow losing and refusing to step down, which would have led to another constitutional crisis and maybe even another foreign intervention like what happened with jammeh. now that the election has passed peacefully and barrow has comfortably won (even though the opposition are taking legal routes to dispute the results) it's mostly back to hoping that something can be done to help the youth. young people dont have any prospects for the future, which is why so many of them choose the irregular immigration route, which more often than not leads to them getting human trafficked via agadez in niger and ending up in a libyan prison and/or being forced into prostitution. and of course the ones that do make it to southern europe have a higher chance of ending up homeless than they do of snagging a spot in one of the pathetically underfunded reception and integration programs. the goal of our proposed project is to give gambians in urban areas access to nutrients that they currently dont get enough of (specifically vitamin A and iron) while at the same time allowing them to save enough money to send their kids to university or trade school rather than sending them off in hope of receiving remittances. of course the country is probably doomed in the next few decades because the ocean is moving upstream and the most fertile soil in the country is getting infused with salt.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ELTON JOHN posted:

we do most of our work through the YEP as our local partners, and they're pretty critical of the promises that he's failed to come through with. when he first took power they were happy that they were allowed to at least criticize the president without being disappeared, but the gimmick of that wore off pretty quickly when people found out nothing fundamentally changed. most of the gambians i've heard from care less about the term limit and more about stuff like his failure to actually do anything to help the ridiculously high youth employment (and given the countriy's reliance on tourism they got absolutely hammered by covid) and failure to make it easier for the diaspora to vote. but given that african diasporas tend to vote against power it's almost certainly a self-preservation move.

that being said, the main thing people were worried about these months was barrow losing and refusing to step down, which would have led to another constitutional crisis and maybe even another foreign intervention like what happened with jammeh. now that the election has passed peacefully and barrow has comfortably won (even though the opposition are taking legal routes to dispute the results) it's mostly back to hoping that something can be done to help the youth. young people dont have any prospects for the future, which is why so many of them choose the irregular immigration route, which more often than not leads to them getting human trafficked via agadez in niger and ending up in a libyan prison and/or being forced into prostitution. and of course the ones that do make it to southern europe have a higher chance of ending up homeless than they do of snagging a spot in one of the pathetically underfunded reception and integration programs. the goal of our proposed project is to give gambians in urban areas access to nutrients that they currently dont get enough of (specifically vitamin A and iron) while at the same time allowing them to save enough money to send their kids to university or trade school rather than sending them off in hope of receiving remittances. of course the country is probably doomed in the next few decades because the ocean is moving upstream and the most fertile soil in the country is getting infused with salt.

bitcoin solves this

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/ok_0s/status/1469422049735192577?s=21

Lmao

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xanderkish posted:

This feels like trading cards. It's got that same scent of "Oooh, this is a foil-wrapped Charizard." Complete with a whole secondary economy based around trading it like a commodity.

I've been enjoying that argument over Kickstarter's plans to go blockchain. So far none of the crypto idiots have been able to come up with how it benefits the people running the projects that make KS money, beyond vague 'they can use it to track who to give special bonuses to' stuff. Pretty clear on how it securitizes crowdfunding and lets people try to grift by reselling their 'interest' in the crowdfunded project, though!

Not that that is selling unlicensed securities or anything... :shepicide:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

drk posted:

bitcoin solves this

what if irregular immigration....on the blockchain

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Good thing McDonalds has a robust approach to linking to images over the internet

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I've been enjoying that argument over Kickstarter's plans to go blockchain. So far none of the crypto idiots have been able to come up with how it benefits the people running the projects that make KS money, beyond vague 'they can use it to track who to give special bonuses to' stuff. Pretty clear on how it securitizes crowdfunding and lets people try to grift by reselling their 'interest' in the crowdfunded project, though!

Not that that is selling unlicensed securities or anything... :shepicide:
One possibility is that it's in response to a pending EU law which would -require certain crowdfunding sites to be approved, -provide additional information to "unsophisticated or untrained investors", and -set upper limits on how much a given project owner could take in. (Thread)

https://mobile.twitter.com/gengelstein/status/1469317425862688777

That said, if you actually look at the primary sources here (after Google translating into English) "certain crowdfunding sites" refers to loan or investment crowdfunding platforms. In fact the same site specifically notes that Kickstarter is instead a donation crowdfunding platform, and not a mechanism for financial speculation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenClapperton/status/1469427233550913547

So Kickstarter isn't supposed to be subject to these upcoming regulations, but if you've got paranoid VC nutjobs at the helm they may not care about such fine distinctions.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Is it officially peak stupid when butts end up on Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour?

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1469475230867505157?s=20

Keanu unicorn chaser as an apology for posting Tucker.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1469440425635287042?s=20

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 11, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

This is on pepsi.com right now:

This is existentially embarrassing

So .1 eth is like $400???

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

For a "free" nft lol

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Bitcoin: looks like @McDonalds posted a racial slur to the blockchain

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo lol this is obviously good for bitcoin

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/dz/status/1469424767488962570

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

hbag posted:

if it wasnt terrible for the environment id probably mint some NFTs only to swap the image at the link in the token out with fuckin tubgirl or something (some of those losers would probably go "yeah well i own goatse now!!!!", tubgirl is less appealing in that regard)
the ultimate own

Now selling BLOCKCHAIN-FREE NFTs!!

salty nocoiners calling this just a "key pair" but

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Parkingtigers posted:

Is it officially peak stupid when butts end up on Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour?

How is a highly volatile commodity a refuge for inflation?

Also it fills my heart with good cheer to see Keanu correctly identifying how stupid it is.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Xanderkish posted:

Also it fills my heart with good cheer to see Keanu correctly identifying how stupid it is.

Keanu is regularly exposed to stupid ideas by Alex Winter, which helps build up his immunity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This get posted here yet?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xanderkish posted:

Inflation hedges make zero productive sense to begin with and tend toward gently caress you got mine economically so Bitcoin fits right in.

Basically if you have some commodity now when higher inflation is beginning, and that commodity isnt really going to fundamentally change over the course of inflation I.e. it'll hold whatever value it currently has because it's kind of economically detached, the number will necessarily go up over the course of the inflation as the amount stays the same and the amount of currency available to buy it goes up.

That reasonably describes Bitcoin if you ignore such deal breaking risk factors like it's currently unregulated and needs regulated which could effect how you get rid of Bitcoin later, or the whole part where Bitcoin is powered by unconscionable amounts of electricity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Parkingtigers posted:

I think he's just getting on the bandwagon because of that article that suggest the alt right (his fans) were heavily invested in crypto

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Faustian Bargain posted:

Bitcoin: looks like @McDonalds posted a racial slur to the blockchain

:perfect:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Between this and the antivax stuff, I sometimes wonder if some members of the right realize that allowing your supporters to get sick, die, and/or lose their money is perhaps not a winning strategy for coalition-building.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Parkingtigers posted:

I was so loving worried that Keanu was bad on this — 2021 isn’t all bad!

Xanderkish posted:

Between this and the antivax stuff, I sometimes wonder if some members of the right realize that allowing your supporters to get sick, die, and/or lose their money is perhaps not a winning strategy for coalition-building.

Nah. It’s all about power or the pursuit of power.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 11, 2021

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

hbag posted:

if it wasnt terrible for the environment id probably mint some NFTs only to swap the image at the link in the token out with fuckin tubgirl or something (some of those losers would probably go "yeah well i own goatse now!!!!", tubgirl is less appealing in that regard)
the ultimate own

this is like one of the worst part about NFTs. any company or person printing one is just burning forests via gas fees. artists getting their art stolen sucks normally but in this case it means someone hosed up the environment extra to do it. :(

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Xanderkish posted:

Same.
I'm glad he is smart and is not eating up all the crypto technobabble...Like Elijah Wood did. Oof. Last time I checked his Twitter it was crawling with crypto bro bots and sock puppet accounts, it was icky.

Anyway I sometimes wonder what happened with that Chadwick Boseman Oscars NFT. Hopefully all those USB ended up in the trash

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Found this FP article on El Salvador's bitcoin boondogle on HackerNews, loved it, and then realized it was from the goon that wrote Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29520306

:unsmith:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
You can actually buy inflation hedges, but that requires you still being okay with dirty fiat (and it is limited to $10k a year) https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what was in the deleted tweets

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Nybble posted:

You can actually buy inflation hedges, but that requires you still being okay with dirty fiat (and it is limited to $10k a year) https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

Thanks for reminding me of these. Currently setting up an account again on the most comical legit financial website in history. It was bad when I used it 10 years ago and I'm thrilled it's identically as bad today.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nybble posted:

And its not like company stock gets no benefit from inflation, everything but cash itself hedges against inflation at least to a degree.

By the time you start talking about silver, gold, and bitcoin hedges we are dealing with literal Smogs who want to build a dragon hoard that will outlive the current corporate landscape and federal government. The antisocial effects of locking operating capital in useless trinkets is on purpose and meant to starve Lake-town and make everyone beholden to Smaug.

By the time Fox news starts harping on hedges, the inflation has come and gone and its producers are cashing out in a pump and dump.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

repiv posted:

*looking at default unreal engine sample character running on a flat plane*

the metaverse is here............

https://twitter.com/ArkerCommunity/status/1468955678244892682

An average programmer with 0 experience in Unreal Engine would be able to set this up in like an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

coelomate posted:

Found this FP article on El Salvador's bitcoin boondogle on HackerNews, loved it, and then realized it was from the goon that wrote Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29520306

:unsmith:

dived in to argue in the comments, because uh well