Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Joestar posted:

the actor they got for lews therin is pretty hot and the fact that some of those nerdlords have melted down about him not being white is hilarious to me. legit just corncobbing hard about it and they don't even have anything to hide behind for it.

Link? Spoilers if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The books definitely get hornier the more time goes on and Elayne and Aviendha's relationship seems to imply some sexuality to it. I wonder if they'll make it explicit in the series, which with what they have already done I don't doubt it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Link? Spoilers if necessary.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0992562/

might as well spoiler tag it i guess

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Leak chat:

huge fan of giving the forsaken (if that's Ishamael in the screenshot) cool modern style suits or otherwise scifi coded clothing. Really helps reinforce that these guys are from a hugely different time and that they're living among primitives.

100% this, ishy looks like a rich dude right now and it's a great choice to take them out of time for viewers

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gonna need to hear him saying ILYENA a hundred times before I can approve

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The first book was published in 1990. The last RJ books were 2004/2005. The cultural change wrt sexuality was HUGE in that time window. You can almost predict when a book in the series was written based on solely horniness and gayness tbh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The books definitely have a undercurrent of queerness to them.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

the actor they got for lews therin is pretty hot and the fact that some of those nerdlords have melted down about him not being white is hilarious to me. legit just corncobbing hard about it and they don't even have anything to hide behind for it.

IMDB page for him seems fine. Can't imagine being worked up about ethnicity, especially for Ishy. The thing is he has to be not well mentally, thousands of years old, savagely nihilistic and kind of disconnected and kind of addicted to Dark One power. If the guy pulls all that off he wins again

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

The books definitely get hornier the more time goes on and Elayne and Aviendha's relationship seems to imply some sexuality to it. I wonder if they'll make it explicit in the series, which with what they have already done I don't doubt it.

They're first sisters and we've clearly established this isn't GoT :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hollismason posted:

it's pretty complicated because they also have an undercurrent of extreme repression of male queerness lol (which is especially ironic given RJ's experience in the military and presumably at the citadel probably informed some of his takes about how sexuality at the Tower worked)

but at the same time characters like Min that loving hate their given name and can't stand to perform their assigned gender feel very different in 2021 than i think they did when RJ was writing his "cool tomboy" thing

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 11, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

They're first sisters and we've clearly established this isn't GoT :colbert:

I'm of two minds on this. Like, turning the polygamy to more polyamory would be nice, less of a harem. But the show has done well showing intimacy without sexual relationship that it would feel kind of weird to do this one.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

cailleask posted:

Of the two ter’angreal paintings, one is of a woman in the white tower and the other is of what looks like a river in Tear. So I’d buy that they’re meant to be literally for Traveling between those two locations.

Haven't both the making of ter'angreal and gateways been lost the whole time the tower existed?

Or did Moiraine put a sticker on the cool love shack artifact? I'd guess this one, since linked gateway artifacts fit with other misc AoL toys we see throughout the books.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hollismason posted:

The Maidens are pretty much a lesbian biker gang.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

jetz0r posted:

Haven't both the making of ter'angreal and gateways been lost the whole time the tower existed?

Or did Moiraine put a sticker on the cool love shack artifact? I'd guess this one, since linked gateway artifacts fit with other misc AoL toys we see throughout the books.

Maybe Corianin Nedeal actually kept notes in this timeline

cailleask
May 6, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Oh I’m definitely assuming they found convenient ter’angreal and not that they made them. How they found what they do is ????? though

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Goofballs posted:

Don't know about Thom getting more flamboyant. Feel the change is just a move in the culture. EOTW came out in 1990, the first UFC happened in 1993 and after that increasingly you had to go people have super powers or there are grim realities about what being good in a hand to hand/sword to sword fight amounts to. GOT came out in 1996 and it still had Tyrion doing backflips to impress Jon Snow. But that poo poo went away very quickly.

Like if Thom starts twirling knives your brain goes from this is cool to why have they not just stabbed him already much faster now than it would have when your experience of cinema violence was bruce lee rather than watching, I don't know, Khabib maul a guy on the ground.
Then they're a bunch of cowards. :colbert:

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

CainFortea posted:

I'm of two minds on this. Like, turning the polygamy to more polyamory would be nice, less of a harem. But the show has done well showing intimacy without sexual relationship that it would feel kind of weird to do this one.

Rafe has already said that they're turning it into polyamory instead of 3 women not all to happy about sharing 1 man.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thom is very genre-savvy, knew to knife her when she was monologuing

From memory he's usually only flashy with knives when he's trying to intimidate too, just gets straight to shanking the rest of the time

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I really hope we get to see Thom kill some kings, eventually

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ad090 posted:

Rafe has already said that they're turning it into polyamory instead of 3 women not all to happy about sharing 1 man.

I know, I'm voicing my two minds.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I just started Winter's Heart. Rand's going to cleanse Saidin with the Ter Angreal. I think this is the farthest I've gotten in the series. I hope we see Mat , Thom , and Julien soon because I really miss those characters and them not being in Path of Daggers was kind of a let down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I really hope we get to see Thom kill some kings, eventually

Kingslayer and Kinslayer and Slayer having wicked-sick adventures

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The show seemingly omits some great opportunities in exchange for lame throwaways. The latest episode, they spent ~10% of the time on the girl fishing scene. Complete throwaway scene that could have been used to better flesh out the main characters.

Also, see last episode.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i think it would have been legit hard to find a performer who could pull off a fully book-accurate Thom

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hughmoris posted:

The show seemingly omits some great opportunities in exchange for lame throwaways. The latest episode, they spent ~10% of the time on the girl fishing scene. Complete throwaway scene that could have been used to better flesh out the main characters.

Also, see last episode.

Uhhh, it did flesh out a main character for the series

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

i think it would have been legit hard to find a performer who could pull off a fully book-accurate Thom

I always kind of had a Shining Time Station era George Carlin as my mental image of Thom, I think that would have been amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just get Viggo or Day-Lewis, I have no doubt either would learn all the skills necessary

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Glumslinger posted:

Uhhh, it did flesh out a main character for the series

Ehhh, I wouldn't call Siuan a main character of the show to date. I doubt if she does anything meaningful again before the season ends. I would have preferred they spent that "child fisher" time building up another character, or plot point.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

wraith_5_ posted:

I always kind of had a Shining Time Station era George Carlin as my mental image of Thom, I think that would have been amazing.

The more Thom has coalesced in my head the more I see him as an older, wrinklier Neil Patrick Harris with mustaches.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ootl and new to the thread -- Mat's actor left? Is there an article discussing that, or can anyone give me the 2 paragraph summary?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Ehhh, I wouldn't call Siuan a main character of the show to date. I doubt if she does anything meaningful again before the season ends. I would have preferred they spent that "child fisher" time building up another character, or plot point.

:psyduck: the fact that they spent that time on her doesn't clue you in that she's important? Nor how feared and hated channelers are? Nor the Dragon's Fang being a symbol of hate?

Nah, you're right.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pleads posted:

The more Thom has coalesced in my head the more I see him as an older, wrinklier Neil Patrick Harris with mustaches.

NPH wouldn't do that.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hughmoris posted:

NPH wouldn't do that.

Get old? Grow mustaches? Or get wrinkly?

I know they're all pretty unlikely.

e: oh i get it :downs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

NPH wouldn't do that.

Probably too terrified of Pike

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

regulargonzalez posted:

Ootl and new to the thread -- Mat's actor left? Is there an article discussing that, or can anyone give me the 2 paragraph summary?

Not much to say. Word came down a few months ago that Mat had been recast for season 2, and everything surrounding Barney Harris' departure is being kept very hush hush. There's a lot of speculation, of course, but nothing definitive.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Y’all. I hate insta, but this is 100% worth the hassle. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXUAleGgmYw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I totally didn't realize Mat's actor left while filming this ep, that's why he didn't go in to the ways (the ending was a splice). Knowing that, and how May doesn't have anything left to do this book, the change makes a ton of sense.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CainsDescendant posted:

Not much to say. Word came down a few months ago that Mat had been recast for season 2, and everything surrounding Barney Harris' departure is being kept very hush hush. There's a lot of speculation, of course, but nothing definitive.

Pick one of:
1) he did something bad
2) he upset someone important
3) he got some amazing opportunity elsewhere
4) other

Basically nobody knows.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Pick one of:
1) he did something bad
2) he upset someone important
3) he got some amazing opportunity elsewhere
4) other

Basically nobody knows.

All his social presence is gone. I'm guessing health reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I hope he's OK. He made a great Mat.