Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

BraveUlysses posted:

what happens if you put 1.14 grams in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Midniter posted:

What, praytell, could you be working with in a culinary application that would require precision beyond the 1g threshold? Assuming it's not drugs, that is. If it is, cool.

Anyone doing any kind of baking? Or anyone weighing coffee/water

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 9, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
does anybody else here bake in an incredibly sloppy manner? I use volume measurements when I bother to measure at all. everything turns out delicious and surprisingly consistent.

I'm similarly sloppy when I make pottery glazes... I measure, but don't worry about a few grams one way or another, and there's no way my scale is particularly accurate anyway.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

does anybody else here bake in an incredibly sloppy manner? I use volume measurements when I bother to measure at all. everything turns out delicious and surprisingly consistent.

I'm similarly sloppy when I make pottery glazes... I measure, but don't worry about a few grams one way or another, and there's no way my scale is particularly accurate anyway.

Depends what you're making probably?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Espresso definitely needs accuracy to 0.1g.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

I’ve had flour based things go horribly wrong because any given scoop could be +/- 50%.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm with you on using volume measurements. I'll use weight if mentioned, but otherwise I've found baking to be forgiving using volume measurements. And I usually reduce sugar between a 1/4 and 1/3 with no problems.

But not measuring at all? How does that even work? Even using a drinking tumbler to approximate volume or maintain ratios of ingredients is a form of measurement.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'll make butter cream by "feel" but I've also made thousands of pounds of the stuff so I have a good idea of how much of everything needs to go into it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Murgos posted:

I’ve had flour based things go horribly wrong because any given scoop could be +/- 50%.

do you personally vary that much? my scoops are relatively consistent. I always use the same... uh, technique and I just keep flour in the bag it comes in.

I'm wildly exaggerating the not measuring. I only really do that for pie dough, and mine is incredibly inconsistent. I tend to eyeball leavening and salt in everything.

for bread, though, I'll slop into the Cuisinart about 2 1/2 cups of flour, an amount of salt, and however much yeast I've put into however much beer. I can tell when it's ready by the texture. for pizza dough I'm even looser. (I'm adding the liquid as I go, so even here "not measuring" isn't exactly true. drat if I know how much yeast I use, though.)

I have run into situations where I'll have to rejigger a baking recipe as I'm making it, and even that has turned out OK.

I'm not recommending any of this as good practice. if I had the rigor to follow recipes to the centigram I imagine that my life would be better in some ways.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 10, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
50% was an exaggeration but I’ve absolutely ruined bakes because of variance in flour scoops so I always weigh loose powders now unless it’s really small.

I’d expect 20% variance without a blink. There’s an old Alton Brown episode where he shows two equal volume measures of flour and then some ridiculous difference in weight between them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok I’m done.

I’ve sliced my finger for the last time on my micro plane cheese grater while grating mozzarella bricks for pizza.

What’s a better tool to grate mozzarella with? One that preferably won’t cut me. Would a food processor work if I freeze the cheese first? I make pizza once a week and I’ve been doing it for the past 2-3 years. I’ve only cut myself 4/5 times but today was a decent Knick against my thumb. Contemplating super glue currently since that’s all the ER would do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How are you cutting yourself? If there’s only a small chunk left you don’t need to grate it and can just break it up with your fingers or a knife.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Cut proof gloves can help prevent grating yourself..
If you feel like it's worth cleaning the food processor then yeah, the food processor works great. Use the normal cutting blade and pulse it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

who tf cleans a food processor by hand

i mean the blades i understand if you really want to keep them super sharp but just throw the rest in the dishwasher

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nwin posted:

Ok I’m done.

I’ve sliced my finger for the last time on my micro plane cheese grater while grating mozzarella bricks for pizza.

What’s a better tool to grate mozzarella with? One that preferably won’t cut me. Would a food processor work if I freeze the cheese first? I make pizza once a week and I’ve been doing it for the past 2-3 years. I’ve only cut myself 4/5 times but today was a decent Knick against my thumb. Contemplating super glue currently since that’s all the ER would do.

Rotary grater?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Vegetable posted:

How are you cutting yourself? If there’s only a small chunk left you don’t need to grate it and can just break it up with your fingers or a knife.

Yeah it’s the small chunks. I’m flying too close to the sun and not paying attention.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

speaking of weighing flour, is there a general cup to weight conversion that works as a good starting point? obviously it depends on who wrote the recipe and how they scoop, but id like to try as few recipes using weight and adjusting based on the results

mystes
May 31, 2006

Booyah- posted:

speaking of weighing flour, is there a general cup to weight conversion that works as a good starting point? obviously it depends on who wrote the recipe and how they scoop, but id like to try as few recipes using weight and adjusting based on the results
You can find tons if you google it but the whole reason for using weight is that the density is all over the place for flour in the first place.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

who tf cleans a food processor by hand

i mean the blades i understand if you really want to keep them super sharp but just throw the rest in the dishwasher

Food processor grater blade is great imo. If I'm doing more than 1 cup / 4 oz then I'm using that, even though I hand wash it. Hand washing is the difference between 10 and 13 years of durability before the plastic fails so totes worth it :v:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Booyah- posted:

I am constantly googling "[item] cup to grams" and that works.

I know a cup of white flour should be 120g by heart though.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

nwin posted:

Ok I’m done.

Use fresh mozzarella?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Brother Tadger posted:

Use fresh mozzarella?

I do NY style pizza and like the bricks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

Ok I’m done.

Cut proof gloves definitely. Better mozz maybe--get a ball of fresh mozz and either slice it or shred it by hand.

Booyah- posted:

If you're using King Arthur flour their weight equivalent chart will be spot on. And if you're not, it's probably close enough.

More permanent/higher-effort solution is to import your recipes into e.g. paprika, convert them once, and then not have to worry about it in the future.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

I do NY style pizza and like the bricks.
Because you want it drier, or...? Because if you just want to minimise the amount of moisture you're adding you can use part skim and still take it apart without needing to use a grater.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SubG posted:

Because you want it drier, or...? Because if you just want to minimise the amount of moisture you're adding you can use part skim and still take it apart without needing to use a grater.

I’ve just always used Polly O whole milk mozz. I think it was recommended on serious eats once and it’s always melted better than other blocks I’ve tried.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just look at the grater while you're grating! that's it! free lifehack!

same goes for knives and the mandoline

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I worked at a pizza place and we used low moisture mozzarella bricks. We had a meat slicer thing with a grater wheel instead of a slicer wheel and a bucket underneath to catch the cheese. I'm sure a Cuisinart attachment exists to do the same thing.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use a cheapass box grater from a restaurant supply store for my brick mozz :shrug:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

KillHour posted:

I'm sure a Cuisinart attachment exists to do the same thing.

There is, and usually it comes w the food processor itself (although you can buy different grater attachments if you need different levels of fineness).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Have any of y'all used these Spurtle things they used to run ads for on TV, and if so how do you like it?

My dad mentioned wanting one awhile back and I'm thinking about getting a full set since they all look like things we'd get a lot of use out of.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Have any of y'all used these Spurtle things they used to run ads for on TV, and if so how do you like it?

My dad mentioned wanting one awhile back and I'm thinking about getting a full set since they all look like things we'd get a lot of use out of.

it's a wooden spoon

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

“Jack of all trades, master of none, but better than a master of one” and all that, but if I’m allowed to have more than one utensil in my kitchen, I think I’d rather just get the actually appropriate tools for the task

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm gonna buy that spoodgle and use it because I love stupid kitchen utensils

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the only wooden kitchen tool you really need is a spatula thats like a thin curved paddle of wood

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Some of the uses seem impossibly optimistic about the outcome. Like yeah you could try to separate an egg on the slotted spoon but chances are the yolk is going to slide right off of it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just lol if you need any kitchen utensil besides your hands. If you're worried about hot stuff, you need to toughen up! Replacing a pasta fork with your hands is probably the toughest, but once you're there, you know you are a real cook.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Just lol if you need any kitchen utensil besides your hands. If you're worried about hot stuff, you need to toughen up! Replacing a pasta fork with your hands is probably the toughest, but once you're there, you know you are a real cook.

Look at this loser who needs hands to cook.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its not cheap but its certainly more useful than that poo poo product, try buying some nice wood utensils:

https://www.earlywooddesigns.com/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

personally I only need my 13" KitchenAid brand dong for all my chopping, stirring, and sautéing needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I do all my cooking/chopping/etc inside my mouth. It's all about efficiency.