Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Didn't even think about doing that, thanks for the idea!

I can't say that I have a NEEEED for it... just figured it'd be a cool feature that shouldn't be too hard to pull off with current tech. As my phone would be on my wifi it should work relatively quickly and easily with a tap. Once I get these guys installed and set up I'll look into it.

Would be helpful when arms are full or if I'm just being lazy.

You can use presence detection of your phone to just unlock the doors also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I discovered today that I had enough points in our employee “thanks” program for a $250 Amazon gift card.

I now have everything on the way necessary for automating the exterior Christmas lights + two extra for the 2nd floor next year, toggle switch for the exterior garage lights w/dimming, and rear lights over the fire pit w/dimming.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is the Feit Electric home plug stuff any good? Obviously all IoT garbage always goes on its own guest network but, any good other than that?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, that’ll do.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are any of the cheap (sub $50) wireless driveway alarms worth buying? Seems like there's a big jump from ~$30 units to $150+, which is more than I want to invest in such a niche feature. I just want something that pings me (via app or receiver unit, I don't care) whenever a car pulls in. It's about 200 feet from my driveway to the house, so I don't need any of the super long range models.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is the Feit Electric home plug stuff any good? Obviously all IoT garbage always goes on its own guest network but, any good other than that?

I was looking for a new plug device as well and saw those at Costco. I read that you can flash them to be Tasmota, so I might pick a set up and experiment.

My Zigbee Innr outlet keeps disconnecting or whatever after a day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: nm

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Received the recommended zwave stick and installed the Schlage deadbolts. Should I be passing through the stick to my home assistant docker on UnRaid or spinning up a Windows (or other) VM for that stick?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Connect it direct to home assistant.

Also today I went through the process of setting up home bridge for the sole purpose of the nest integration with HA which is much better than the native one because it supports sensors and protect.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well, I was doing some work on our home automation system and one major annoyance was the Sonoff fan controllers had horrible integration with Google Home, basically the light and fan did not appear as discrete devices and even the workarounds were poo poo.

There was a firmware update and after relinking the devices the ceiling fan lights and fan now appear as two devices within my Google Displays and the fan allows speed control.

Also moved the last of my used light switches to Lutron Caseta, don't gently caress with other stuff, I should have headed the warnings before investing hundreds of dollars in other solutions, Lutron Caseta just works.

Oh, and picked up the last switch and dimmer, it shows $65 on The Home Depot website, but the smart dimmer with remote was actually $50 if anyone is one fence. Still shows $65 on the website.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s funny that buying a Caseta starter kit is cheaper than just buying a dimmer or two and Picos separately. I’m going to have a stack of hubs by the end of replacing everything.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any good bulbs for a smart wake up routine? Philips sells an alarm clock but it's crazy expensive.

Should I just get a Philips bulb with warmth control and route it into some home assistant add on? Ideally feeding in when to start from Androids alarms

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue can fade bulbs on over time.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

w00tmonger posted:

Any good bulbs for a smart wake up routine? Philips sells an alarm clock but it's crazy expensive.

Should I just get a Philips bulb with warmth control and route it into some home assistant add on? Ideally feeding in when to start from Androids alarms

We use Hue bulbs and a HA automation to fade them on at a certain time. Not tied to alarms, though... the time is hard-coded, but it works because we have a consistent schedule. Not sure you can expose your android alarms to HA... I mean, there are a ton of "sensors" that the HA app has for your phone, so alarms might be one of them.

Speaking of Home Assistant, does anyone have any good UI examples? I still only have the default UI. I have started a custom UI built that has separate tabs for lights, security, HVAC, etc., but nothing added yet. I installed HACS a while back but never got around to playing with stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

w00tmonger posted:

The alarm and sleep tracking app "Sleep as Android" has Hue support. I personally use Hue's built-in fade-on feature since my alarm times don't change often, but I just tested the app and it seemed to work reasonably.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I didn't realize that Google brought back (some form) of Nest integration into HA and set that up yesterday. I have HA seeing my Google Nest Cams (these are going to be replaced by a local solution in the future) but they are not acting as expected. Just wanted to touch base quickly to see if my expectations are higher than what is reality or if I configured something incorrectly.

This is what my dashboard looks like:

Clicking into I can eventually get the stream up and occasionally get a snap shot on the dashboard. Is this just a hacky solution and having a dashboard with live feeds through Nest is not something reasonable to expect?

I'd like to have an interim solution until I get BI up and pick up some new poe cameras.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 9, 2021

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Speaking of Home Assistant, does anyone have any good UI examples? I still only have the default UI.

Here’s my latest version of HA. Ring, Nest, Hue, Shelly light switches, Smart cat flap, Xiaomi window and temperature sensors, Sonos a few custom sensors and other integrations. Happy to answer questions about it.

e: happy to answer questions about home automation and Lovelace config

Slash fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 9, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What are your cats' names?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

odiv posted:

What are your cats' names?

Ha, I’m not giving you my wifi password!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Has anyone here played with Generic Thermostat?

I think I'm doing things correctly but it never shows up as a device after a restart and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. I don't see anything *obvious* in the logs.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have recommendations on camera mounts/tripods with high spouse acceptance factor? We have a bunch of Unifi instant cams that I have a standard tripod thread.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a smart thermostat, and a smart fire alarm, that has no voice integration and no ties to Google or Amazon. Most I find are Alexa enabled and I am looking to avoid that and these 2 companies if possible. I currently have the Nest version of both and am looking to sidegrade or upgrade.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

LuckyCat posted:

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a smart thermostat, and a smart fire alarm, that has no voice integration and no ties to Google or Amazon. Most I find are Alexa enabled and I am looking to avoid that and these 2 companies if possible. I currently have the Nest version of both and am looking to sidegrade or upgrade.

I would also be interested in this as I too have a Nest thermostat that I've been looking to move away from to self-host. I know First Alert has some Z-Wave compatible alarms like this one but I've been less sure about what thermostat to go with that is both non-cloud reliant but also looks nice on the wall.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Netatmo have a smart thermostat that has no ties. I’ve always had a good experience using their stuff and they’re backed well enough by legrand that you know they won’t fly by night.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm enjoying my Ecobee that you don't need to enable the Alexa functionality. It integrates nicely with HA so a good pick. I didn't spend much time canvassing for alternatives though, FWIW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQT85FC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Total Meatlove posted:

Netatmo have a smart thermostat that has no ties. I’ve always had a good experience using their stuff and they’re backed well enough by legrand that you know they won’t fly by night.

This is exactly what I am looking for, but it doesn't appear to be available in the U.S.

I'll look into the Ecobee. If it has a mic I am out, but if it just optionally works with Echo/Google devices with no onboard mic that is good. Just checked and it has a mic.

Edit: oh hey! The Ecobee Lite looks microphone free. I'll read some reviews, this could be the one.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Honeywell has a few Wifi options that use their own app/portal, and for the most part work fine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have the ecobee lite and it works great. No subscriptions required to access its functions and no microphones.

Works with HomeKit too if you did want to integrate it into Apple’s ecosystem.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I need to know more about this smart cat door.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Crunchy Black posted:

I need to know more about this smart cat door.

I used to have a non-connected smart cat flap, which is a microchip reader with two actuators - if your cat comes up to the door and is read, then the flaps unlock on both sides and it can come through. If you want your cats to be able to come back into the house but not go outside again, you can make it one way.

Worked really well but ate batteries iirc.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LuckyCat posted:

It's not the sexiest looking thing in the world, but I use a Radio Thermostat with a Z-Wave module installed. I would not recommend the Wifi module unless you're okay with it dropping commands. Fortunately, the modules are swappable and neither require The Cloud™.

I've been eyeing up a First Alert smoke detector with Z-Wave, but I haven't bought one yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

azurite posted:

I've been eyeing up a First Alert smoke detector with Z-Wave, but I haven't bought one yet.

They’re great. Mine reports to Hubitat which pushes a notification to all of my devices every time it alarms. About the only negative is that I replace the batteries 1-2 times per year, but it takes AAs so it’s not as annoying as replacing 9v batteries.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any preferences on the Schlage Sense vs Yale Assure? Looking for a HomeKit-compatible deadbolt.

I recently installed a non-smart Yale Assure lever keypad lock on my laundry room because the Schlage non-smart one had bad reviews about the mechanicals on it.

One with a key would be preferred just as a backup.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 11, 2021

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Slash posted:

Here’s my latest version of HA. Ring, Nest, Hue, Shelly light switches, Smart cat flap, Xiaomi window and temperature sensors, Sonos a few custom sensors and other integrations. Happy to answer questions about it.

What are you using for the TV expandable card? Looks sweet, I'm stealing some of this

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any preferences on the Schlage Sense vs Yale Assure? Looking for a HomeKit-compatible deadbolt.

I recently installed a non-smart Yale Assure lever keypad lock on my laundry room because the Schlage non-smart one had bad reviews about the mechanicals on it.

I have Schlage on my interior entryways and exteriors aside from a sliding glass patio door (no good options here?)

I have an Encode (Wifi) deadbolt on my front door, it's fine. I think alexa and google, doesn't work with home assistant so I'm looking to change that, but right now the Schlage app has very high wife acceptance so I'm hard pressed to find something else there.

I have a sense on everywhere else, and it's great - on my garage interior I have the keypad/handle model and I have no complaints, it joined my Zwave network fine and was immediately available in Home assistant.

Both have hardware keys.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Slash posted:

I would love any good resources for getting started on this. My HA dashboard looks terrible. It's hard to get the tiles to sort the way I want, since the vertical size can dictate which column they get stuck in.

And is there a way to have separate layouts for the browser-based version and the mobile app? I have different elements I want to see/prioritize depending on which device I'm using.

Here's my current layout:

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 11, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I used to have a non-connected smart cat flap, which is a microchip reader with two actuators - if your cat comes up to the door and is read, then the flaps unlock on both sides and it can come through. If you want your cats to be able to come back into the house but not go outside again, you can make it one way.

Worked really well but ate batteries iirc.

I'm sure RFID versions exist now but years ago when I thought about doing a DIY one, I figured I'd have to make a smart dog/cat "tunnel" vs just a smart door. My thinking was that I'd have to make like little boxes on either side of the door the pet would have to walk through so they would be in the correct short range of the reader

bonus points if you make it kinda low so the car has to duck and rub up against the top of it, and a well placed reader picks up the chip they do at the vet

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

What are you using for the TV expandable card? Looks sweet, I'm stealing some of this

I have Schlage on my interior entryways and exteriors aside from a sliding glass patio door (no good options here?)

I have an Encode (Wifi) deadbolt on my front door, it's fine. I think alexa and google, doesn't work with home assistant so I'm looking to change that, but right now the Schlage app has very high wife acceptance so I'm hard pressed to find something else there.

I have a sense on everywhere else, and it's great - on my garage interior I have the keypad/handle model and I have no complaints, it joined my Zwave network fine and was immediately available in Home assistant.

Both have hardware keys.

Thanks! High wife and kid acceptance is also a factor here as well. I haven’t even looked at their apps yet. Do you really need to use the app? It sounded like it could just Bluetooth your phone in the background and unlock the door based on proximity?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

text editor posted:

I'm sure RFID versions exist now but years ago when I thought about doing a DIY one, I figured I'd have to make a smart dog/cat "tunnel" vs just a smart door. My thinking was that I'd have to make like little boxes on either side of the door the pet would have to walk through so they would be in the correct short range of the reader

bonus points if you make it kinda low so the car has to duck and rub up against the top of it, and a well placed reader picks up the chip they do at the vet

A few people have done machine learning to identify cats vs other animals, though it would be hard to get training data with your setup for your specific cat vs 'cat'.

One other project used it to identify if the cat was carrying a mouse or something and refuse to let him in until he dropped it, so he couldn't bring still-alive rodents into the house.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was looking at the Level FWIW, but doesn’t seem as popular as some of the other options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have the Sense and love it. Kids and gf have no issue with it. The main reason I went with it is because I have double front doors and Schlage also makes normal handsets and deadbolts so the style and finish match across both doors. I originally wanted the Level Touch but couldn’t find a style and finish of other hardware that matched exactly with it and that would annoy me every time I walk up to my front door.