Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I used T1s as unskilled labour, having a couple dedicated to construction and mining really speeds up anything you want to do since they have really short down time for charging and as said you can easily pump their skills up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carcer posted:

I used T1s as unskilled labour, having a couple dedicated to construction and mining really speeds up anything you want to do since they have really short down time for charging and as said you can easily pump their skills up.

I love using them for rimefeller monitoring. Just lock one in a room with a console and a charging pod

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Do T4 still drop persona cores when disassembled? I like my mods broken, but this was stupid.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Has the Android Tiers mod actually smoothed out the bugs yet? Last time I added it to a save it generated some weird issues, like hijacking every romance interaction attempt with a "Talked about Skymind" thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But don't you love sky mind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I love using them for rimefeller monitoring. Just lock one in a room with a console and a charging pod

Yeah they are very good for... I guess I would say integrated labour? Like single task needs to be there 24/7 but doesn't need to be done especially fast, type applications. Good for fuel loading in nuclear reactors, keeping the hospital clean, localized stockpile organizing, and running the rimefeller console.

You can indeed just stick them in a room with a pod and they never need to leave. T2s also can do this if you want a bit faster work speed. If you use the power++ mod you can also have them run off wireless power grids so they never need to stop work.

It would be quite nice, I think, if you could selectively remove droids from the colonist bar, as I would probably use T1s a lot more if I could just not count them as colonists and wall them into more systems of the colony.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 11, 2021

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
One thing I like about the Mechanoids from VFE is the little drones for dumb labor. I haven't played in a while (awaiting a few mods to get released before restarting) but I had a nice setup using the hauler bots and a few automated factories. The haulers would keep my warehouse tidy, drag rocks from the auto-drill into the steel extractor, and move the steel into the warehouse, to fund my crippling addiction to turrets. It'd be nice if the combat mechs from there were a bit better, but they're pretty dumb and expensive what with requiring mechanoid components.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
T1s kick huge rear end. They're cheap as dirt and have incredibly low pawn value due to their poo poo stats, don't need clothes, have no mood or relationship requirements, and don't need to sleep. Their work speed is terrible but they work basically 24/7 outside of very brief charging/eating breaks so they're absolute kings at any form of low skill labor that doesn't require long distance walking, like operating consoles, cleaning a specific set of rooms, cutting stone, burning a giant pile of corpses after a raid, crafting things that you just want a steady supply of where quality/speed doesn't matter(components), etc.

You can replace them with T2s if you're swimming in wealth but for the kinds of things I use T1s for the difference doesn't matter hugely and I appreciate how disposable they are and how they keep your wealth down despite being so useful.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But don't you love sky mind

Stick some VX3s in your colonists before uploading them to the server (because the virtual persona, and any duplicates you make, inherit the ability to multi-puppet) and then chip a bunch of raiders, so you can have a horrific warcrimes sex cult
~in the fuckin cloud~

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
T1 with a militia rifle marching at my foes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

MANY t1s, a dozen or so, to be precise

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ichabod Tane posted:

Honestly, a T1 with a rifle is effectively a better mini turret that can use cover and you can move around freely, and is about as disposable.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

There’s nothing this game can throw at me that my battery operated army of t1 with whatever rifle it is that also has a bayonet can’t stop or slow down enough

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Meanwhile my pampered bitch made humans hang out on the parapets with power armor and long range murder lasers

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
T1 can't social fight, boring...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I had a mod that let you use human brains in android bodies and it was rad. The brains would look like they are floating in a gefilte fish jar before being slotted into the android chassis lmao this game is rad

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I routinely manufactured T1s and used them as my military. I'd send them off on raids, and if a few didn't come back, screw it, just put together a few more. I think I went through about 20 of them on my last colony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ichabod Tane posted:

This, actually, is quite effective, because while T1s are fragile they are also very small compared to humans, so they have a flat reduction to their being shot likelihood. And you can slap whatever tainted crap you have on them as armor too.

The main disadvantage is probably that they are slow, so they are not good at maneuver warfare. But I suppose there is nothing stopping you strapping a jetpack to them either. Or psyskipping them around with a human squad leader.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 11, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

This, actually, is quite effective, because while T1s are fragile they are also very small compared to humans, so they have a flat reduction to their being shot likelihood. And you can slap whatever tainted crap you have on them as armor too.

The main disadvantage is probably that they are slow, so they are not good at maneuver warfare. But I suppose there is nothing stopping you strapping a jetpack to them either. Or psyskipping them around with a human squad leader.

All of that is fancy but just churning them out of a factory and slapping a lovely gun on them and sending them to the front or giving them zero work to do and maximum bed rest on their chargers before inexorably marching towards their victory / death is my style.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ichabod Tane posted:

MANY t1s, a dozen or so, to be precise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mg7qKstnPk

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey I could use help improving my killboxes. I'm ready to start building the ship, probably in the eastern area that houses my penned animals currently. Right now the defenses are adequate for raids but turrets keep blowing up (thankfully no shortage of components or steel), the incendiary IED traps in front of the exit of each do set the wooden barricades on fire, but not fast enough to superheat the walled off room within the granite walls. Since I'm ready to win rimworld, I figure its time to go into overdrive with killbox prep. What should I do thread?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

If you ask me you should factory line 28 t1 androids with cheap armaments to hold down your fort. Just plug them into those 8 droid chargers and let them lie dormant

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Ichabod Tane posted:

If you ask me you should factory line 28 t1 androids with cheap armaments to hold down your fort. Just plug them into those 8 droid chargers and let them lie dormant

I don’t have that mod.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ichabod Tane posted:

All of that is fancy but just churning them out of a factory and slapping a lovely gun on them and sending them to the front or giving them zero work to do and maximum bed rest on their chargers before inexorably marching towards their victory / death is my style.

So they're basically the star wars droids?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh, then uh… idk… build the spaceship or something

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The Lone Badger posted:

So they're basically the star wars droids?

Yes. It’s hilariously fun. You can carry them back to base when they are all busted up and just smelt them back down or whatever and build another one. They aren’t even worth fixing. Sometimes I just make the broken ones collect the guns and bodies on the floor before I dismantle them

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Ichabod Tane posted:

Oh, then uh… idk… build the spaceship or something

I’m asking what can I do with my base to improve its defenses so i can build it and survive the waves upon waves of raiders.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Tried out Pyroclastic Conflagration and got two shuttle crashes, an escape pod, and a "wild men wander in" within the first two weeks. Then of course starved to death because I was like "free pawns lol," shoulda eaten those jerks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

Hey I could use help improving my killboxes. I'm ready to start building the ship, probably in the eastern area that houses my penned animals currently. Right now the defenses are adequate for raids but turrets keep blowing up (thankfully no shortage of components or steel), the incendiary IED traps in front of the exit of each do set the wooden barricades on fire, but not fast enough to superheat the walled off room within the granite walls. Since I'm ready to win rimworld, I figure its time to go into overdrive with killbox prep. What should I do thread?

I would probably suggest a good starting point would be to make an extremely thick wall across the northern opening to the right, like five to seven tiles deep, which shouldn't be too hard given how much stone you have access to. That should, in theory, make that route quite unappealing even for sappers and will encourage them to attack from the left, which I think will allow you to make that east/west barricade work to protect your ship out in the open. You could also try to build a big defensive front across that northern approach but that might be harder to defend against large waves, whereas funneling them into a narrow approach lets you use explosives better to wipe out arbitrary numbers of them.

Honestly I have never used killboxes so i don't quite know what to advise you, as they generally operate on a quite different level of game than I am used to, where people have very large colonies and fight absurdly large raids which I just never really tune the game to that point? I woud certainly suggest that controlling the strategic flow of enemies is important though which is why I advise the big wall to enclose the shipbuilding area, possibly also dig your main entrance tunnel to open out there too, basically you can rejig your whole base to make that open space into the main entrance route, and then you can defend it as you would any other approach.

Otherwise I guess it's just throwing resources at the problem, more mines, more turrets, more guns, more fallback points etc. I generally prefer a mobile warfare approach centered around using high skill pawns to kite enemies with speed and movement abilities and psychic powers to whittle them down before they really get close, which is kind of antithetical to killbox design. Also there is only so much you can do in vanilla rimworld to make your guys better than the enemy in a fight, before you get to cheesing stuff like one tile wide doorways around corners blocked with melee dudes.

I think the general trend over the past few versions has been to really push the game away from static defence by giving you more and better options with psycasters and the various utility abilities, as well as the addition of hard counters to static defences with sapper type raiders.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 12, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This is also a fairly accurate rendition of what it's like to get raided by the hostile android factions. T3 and T4 androids are like centipede-level tough to put down along with being way harder to hit and not feeling pain.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m asking what can I do with my base to improve its defenses so i can build it and survive the waves upon waves of raiders.

MurderDumpster Design Theory 101:

Build a maze that forces enemies into a long zigzag path to reach you (like in that stripmined area to the west) with all stone walls, with doors permanently left open at both ends.

The idea being that you leave doors open so that enemies can find a clear path to reach your base but have to traverse what is basically just a very long hallway. Optionally put a stone barricade every other tile to slow down enemies even further (the slowest movespeed penalty you can reasonably apply is forcing the pawn to climb onto and then off obstacles, if they're adjacent then the penalty is greatly reduced)

The reason to use only stone is that this is intended to be a deathtrap you can heat up whenever you want, by tossing a molotov at a row of wooden barricades or even just a big stockpile of corpses and whatever useless loot you have accumulated, so long as the burning shitheap is a single contiguous room with the maze.

If the path is long enough you can get most (if not all of) an entire endgame tribal raid inside the maze before starting the fire, and they won't reach you before passing out from dying and getting incinerated along with all their trash loot.

It's boring for how it lets you trivialize a lot of threats and having to dispose of dropped weapons, but you still have to use other strategies to fight breachers and sieges and mechanoids and drop-raids. Also it is not very good if you want the possibility of capturing living prisoners for sacrifice or selling for royal favor or whatever.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Stick some VX3s in your colonists before uploading them to the server (because the virtual persona, and any duplicates you make, inherit the ability to multi-puppet) and then chip a bunch of raiders, so you can have a horrific warcrimes sex cult
~in the fuckin cloud~

I've read about doing this but I could not get this to work in the current version. My VX3 colonists once uploaded could only operate a single surrogate at a time.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Appreciate the advice everyone. I'm gonna see what I can do to implement it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've read about doing this but I could not get this to work in the current version. My VX3 colonists once uploaded could only operate a single surrogate at a time.

Could be a bug/conflict, or on the other side it could have been a bug that has been fixed.

Like quantum mechanics, only even more absurd.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Part of my killbox strat is doing Defense In Depth. You have setups facing the enemy with the usual alternating wall + barricade/sandbags pattern, but behind each sandbag position there's doors your dudes can withdraw back through but enemies have to zig-zag through the maze to press past. Don't be afraid to pile on extra levels the enemies have to snake through over alternating open spaces + barricades/sandbags. And once they press past all that, they're just facing the same thing again. Doors are the key to this cuz your guys can move through em and the enemy can't.

Basically as soon as a friendly takes meaningful damage it's bugout time, back through the doors and reform a firing line at the next position. If you wanna combine this strat with silensack's ideas, I mean each stage can use wooden barricades but stone walls and metal doors so you can unleash firey hell once the last hostiles are in there. Yeah the other materials aren't fireproof but they'll take longer to burn down than the enemies trying to press through.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheWeedNumber posted:

A good killbox is just a dead corner leading into a large open field with no cover. Then you give your guys miniguns and rockets and assault rifles and just mow down whatever comes through. Remove rocks, cut down trees, mine out the terrain; leave nothing to hide behind. The distance between the entrance to your kill box and the opposite end, where your pawns are, should be longer than the longest range sniper rifle.

At the opposite end, you want cover for your pawns. Build alternating single squares of Granite wall and Granite barricade, or whatever high HP stone you have (uranium or plasteel if you have way too much money or swagger). Walls give better cover but obviously you can't see past them, so you need those gaps.

The entrance to the killbox should be a hallway that alternates between sandbags and empty tiles. This slows down opponents and gives you additional time to get your pawns into position.

You can use turrets to guide breech raiders towards your killbox. Breech raiders will try to tunnel towards your bedrooms, but they will half-heartedly try to avoid turrets. So place some turrets at the entrance to that bedroom area on the right inside your walls, and turrets by your hydroponic farms; do not place turrets near your killbox. Bing bang boom, breech raids will tunnel toward the kill box because that path is not "defended" by turret line of sight. More turrets == more discouragement for breech raiders to approach that area.

Then it's a matter of making your hallways effective backup killboxes. Long hallways, doorways for cover, little to no clutter for enemies to hide behind

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 12, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Shoot guys, if many guys use funnels and IEDs and/or rockets.

If this fails, apply more bullets, bombs, or rockets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will building tons of T1s result in massive raids because Randy thinks you have dozens of colonists?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's the other Android mod? It looks more like a new race rather than all the wacky stuff in Tiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the other Android mod? It looks more like a new race rather than all the wacky stuff in Tiers

It's definitely simpler. You've got one class of Android you can craft with a choice of upgrades that may require special materials and will increase crafting time. The one neat thing is you can make android versions of any custom race you have installed. Besides that there's also lower tech droids in both worker and battle variety that are closer to T1 androids from the other mod in that they don't socialize and basically exists to do tasks 24/7 but are much quicker and faster to craft. They also require periodic recharge through either your power grid or disposable battery packs.

It does also add some weird battle maid dress stuff but you can safely ignore that.