Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Love the art, not the artist, always the way :cool:

edit: I am specifically referring to Blackadder here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New omicron symptom?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
End of Evangelion but people dissolve into Bisto

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith soaring in the polls thanks to his radical Green agenda apparently…

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

Love the art, not the artist, always the way :cool:

edit: I am specifically referring to Blackadder here

Yeah basically everyone involved in that turned out to be a dickhead.

Are Fry and Laurie generally ok these days?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Yeah basically everyone involved in that turned out to be a dickhead.

Are Fry and Laurie generally ok these days?

I can't remember why but didn't this thread declare Fry as History's Greatest Monster™?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Stephen fry is history's greatest monster, everyone knows this

e: I think it was something to do with Twitter? he's obviously a massive smug lib but I think he was just an early adopter, not a particularly egregious example cf today's centrist tweeters

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 11, 2021

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

smellmycheese posted:

Keith soaring in the polls thanks to his radical Green agenda apparently…

I genuinely have no idea what a Labour policy is right now. Are they actually giving any out or are they still saying that policies are wrong when opposition is ongoing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

EvilHawk posted:

I genuinely have no idea what a Labour policy is right now. Are they actually giving any out or are they still saying that policies are wrong when opposition is ongoing.

They’re too busy supporting Tory policies and not wanting Boris to quit to come up with their own.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

New omicron symptom?

They're finally turning away from custard in binbag?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Even after a cursory Google all I found was

- Spend £28bn a year on "green infrastructure and jobs"
- Create an Office for Value for Money (because apparently the Office of Budgetary Responsibility is too ambiguous?)
- Scrap charity status from private schools, ensuring only the truly wealthy can afford them
- Cut business taxes (for small businesses paid for by closing loopholes on multinational internet companies who will just find new loopholes in Ireland)
- Give first time buyers first dibs on completely unaffordable homes before letting international investors outbid them
- Er...
- That's it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Doccykins posted:

- Scrap charity status from private schools, ensuring only the truly wealthy can afford them

You could bin private schools altogether and still only the truly wealthy could afford them (they'd go abroad)

Anything that bleeds private schools is good (and I say that as someone who went to one and benefited massively from it)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lol. Rishi held a drinks party straight after the budget speech.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1469625833237192709

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

Without looking at any interviews or articles, I can tell you that Labour policy will be to throw public cash at any projects offering "green infrastructure and jobs" and that coincidentally those projects will be run by party donors.

So basically:

smellmycheese posted:

They’re too busy supporting Tory policies

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Doccykins posted:

I think it's good if Labour focuses on increasing funding for state schools, rather than giving private ones a VAT discount.

Corbyn had the same policy, but would also redistribute their assets and properties to the state :getin:

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

For Neil Shastri-Hurst, the Conservative candidate for North Shropshire, it should have been the easiest of doorknocks.

Lifelong Tory voter Pearl Morris not only had a campaign poster of Mr Shastri-Hurst in the window of her detached home in Oswestry, she also lives next door to a party activist.

“Thank you so much for putting my poster up,” said Mr Shastri-Hurst cheerily as 77-year-old Mrs Morris answered her door. But she didn’t return his smile.

“That’s quite alright,” she said, “but I must say to you, this year I can’t vote for that charlatan you have got in charge. Next time round, he’ll have gone, won’t he? And you can have [my vote] back. But I really can’t vote for him.”

When the crestfallen candidate asked why his campaign poster was in her window, Mrs Morris replied: “My husband put it up. But I will add that he has got dementia.”

Aruum aruum arrrrrg

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

sinky posted:

Corbyn had the same policy, but would also redistribute their assets and properties to the state :getin:

a bit tricky, that

Conference 2019 passed a motion calling on the party to commit to integrating public schools, but it did not survive the Clause V meeting subsequently; it got watered down to a commitment to ask the Social Mobility Commission to advise on integrating public schools

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
seems wine and nibbles is a big part of government business

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
bring back old harold wilsons he'd have just downed a big pint of bitter and a bowl of mash and HP sauce while he walked between rooms imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I might have a mug of hot bovril on account of the lovely weather.

I wonder if there was a big kerfuffle when they stopped making it out of cow parts, like there was with the greggs sausage rolls.

"It's the vegans Henry, they're saying that we can't drink cows anymore because it's offensive to the Hindus. They've gone mad."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Darren Grimes drinking a teacup of hot bulls piss on GB News to own the libs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovril-66570-Beef-Extract-250g/dp/B003BQFX4S/

quote:

The powerful meaty flavour of Bovril's beef spread has been fuelling Brits to endure the Great British weather for decades

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Always just felt like drinking gravy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Huh, seems like they put the beef back in, or some of the beef at least. But there's also a beet based vegan version, because that's only one letter away.

:gonk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Always just felt like drinking gravy.

You must make poo poo gravy (or really good Bovril, I dunno).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I make it with oxo cubes rather than bovril.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

'All leftists should be put into camps' is a policy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Official UK Labour Party Policy: DO NOT DISTRIBUTE posted:

Keir Starmer: Good
The Government: Good
Anti-establishment thugs: Bad

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if there was a big kerfuffle when they stopped making it out of cow parts, like there was with the greggs sausage rolls.

"It's the vegans Henry, they're saying that we can't drink cows anymore because it's offensive to the Hindus. They've gone mad."

'In 2004, Unilever removed beef ingredients from the Bovril formula, rendering it vegetarian. This was mainly due to concerns about decreasing sales, particularly from exports due to an export ban on British beef, as a result of the growing popularity of vegetarianism, religious dietary requirements, and public concerns about bovine spongiform encephalopathy.[14] In 2006, Unilever reversed that decision and reintroduced beef ingredients to their Bovril formula once sales increased and the beef export bans were lifted.'

It is now back to being BEEFY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems strange that they'd take the animal products out, sales went up, so they put them back in again.

It seems even stranger (from 2021) that all of this happened without a massive sausage roll style culture war. Maybe there was a letter writing campaign in the Sun that I missed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
:corsair: but the smell of Bovril is one of those Proustian reverie things for me. Just a whiff of it and I'm a kid wandering around the market with my dad in the early 80s when a) there were stalls that *just* sold hot drinks, nothing else and b) they all sold Bovril. Mix in another smell and it's even more powerful - Bovril and flowers was Columbia Road, Brick Lane Market smelled of Bovril and bread at the north end with the biegel shops running flat out but at the other end Bovril and hot fat from the doughnut and fritter stalls on Cheshire Street, Petticoat Lane was Bovril and the sickly-sweet smell of the blokes selling knockoff perfume on the corner with Middlesex Street.

Mind you the most powerful one is Bovril mixed with the Vimto-gone-wrong smell of sarsaparilla, which can locate me to an individual *stall* at East Street Market (yes, we did even cross the river to the badlands once in a while for exotic contraband). There's a few stalls selling the stuff on that market (even in one-gallon containers that looked suspiciously like they were originally used for industrial cleaning products) but only one sicko, about a third of the way down, that sold it *hot*, along with tea and of course Bovril. That, and the exotic sulphrous pong of the chemical factory that once stood where the Big Tent does next to the Blackwall Tunnel, will always be the smell of South London to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think there's some Asian root beers that can only be sold as industrial cleaning products now due to the safrole content.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Think i will try making paneer next week, fancy a change.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

Good stuff in these cold months.

Of course when Summer rolls around

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Vimto-gone-wrong smell of sarsaparilla

You know I never thought of it that way but that explains why I like it. We have an app based milkman round here that delivers sarsaparilla (and eggs and stuff! it's ace!). The wife jumped on the opportunity to try it and said "oh, it's sassafras" which apparently they used to drink a tea made out of a lot of the time in Florida.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

'Your own thing' is booze right

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Famous one time good lad, now brainworm connoisseur Shaun Lawson has jumped on the terf bandwagon, because of course. Maybe he and Weeters have more in common than they think

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1469612152600334340?s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Famous one time good lad, now brainworm connoisseur Shaun Lawson has jumped on the terf bandwagon, because of course. Maybe he and Weeters have more in common than they think

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1469612152600334340?s=19

:thunk: "liberal leftie" indeed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Nonsense posted:

:thunk: "liberal leftie" indeed.

He's had quite an arc has shaun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

You know I never thought of it that way but that explains why I like it. We have an app based milkman round here that delivers sarsaparilla (and eggs and stuff! it's ace!). The wife jumped on the opportunity to try it and said "oh, it's sassafras" which apparently they used to drink a tea made out of a lot of the time in Florida.

It's arguably the first commercially-produced soft drink as we now recognise it - there was a big factory run by one of the Methodist churches down in south London to make it for their temperance clubs (basically pubs without booze) in the 1800s, apparently because the leader of the church had got a taste for the stuff on a trip to the US. The point was that in those days non-fermented fruit juices went off very quickly (and of course often fermented when they did so, which was really the opposite of what they were after), root beers like sarsaparilla were boiled so stored for much longer and had lower sugar content so didn't ferment as easily.

The Americans still have loads of different types of root beer but we just have ginger beer, and the tiny holdout of sarsaparilla - as well as East Street, you can still pick it up in a couple of pie and mash shops and apparently in a couple of little enclaves around Manchester - but I can feel another rant about the Cockney Diaspora coming on so I'll stop now.