Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"won the right to world leadership" loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol isnt this the ship that has galvanic corrosion problems?

you know, the thing the british navy figured out in the 1670s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
new username

https://twitter.com/Peter_Atwater/status/1468906049948241922

quote:

The People’s Bank of China has never been politically independent like a Western central bank, but it has nonetheless enjoyed a special status in the nation’s economic hierarchy. Now, President Xi Jinping’s shake-up of China’s financial sector is stripping that away.

Earlier this week, pressured by senior leaders worried about plunging economic growth, the PBOC said it would ease banks’ reserve requirements, effectively making more cash available for bank lending. The move went against policy signals it had sent weeks earlier and came as the central bank and other financial institutions came under scrutiny by Beijing, part of Mr. Xi’s effort to curb capitalist forces in the economy.

Of all the financial institutions being scrutinized by Mr. Xi’s discipline inspectors, the PBOC is arguably the most consequential. The central bank oversees one of the world’s largest financial systems. Though it needs approval from the top bodies of government before it makes big decisions such as those about interest rates, the PBOC has worked for years to establish credibility among investors, at home and abroad, as China’s markets became more sophisticated and their influence extended across the globe.

In recent weeks, Communist Party discipline inspectors from China’s top anticorruption agency have visited the central bank’s headquarters in central Beijing. Officials briefed on the matter said the inspectors asked questions, reviewed documents and brought an unusually stern message: Beijing has little tolerance for any talk of central-bank independence; the monetary authority, just like any other part of the government, answers to the party.

[...]

“The PBOC has carved out a modest amount of operational autonomy to push forward financial liberalization and a more market-oriented monetary policy framework,” said Eswar Prasad, an economics professor at Cornell University and former China head for the International Monetary Fund.

“That notion of operational autonomy is now coming into conflict with a more intrusive role of the government in the economy,” Mr. Prasad said, adding: “The PBOC is losing.”

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
now this is just getting avant garde

https://twitter.com/AmbassadeChine/status/1469314982424846343

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gotta be honest, our propaganda only kinda works because we have so much reach. we can't make bops like this

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
I mean, they're not wrong, but isn't that just a straight rip off, tune-wise, of the sea-shanty thing that's been going around for like a year now? also lazy writing to have the hook every other line.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

absolute banger

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I mean, they're not wrong, but isn't that just a straight rip off, tune-wise, of the sea-shanty thing that's been going around for like a year now? also lazy writing to have the hook every other line.
i like sea shanties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K6dGuQ00HA

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah gimme that hate amerikkka beat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

yeah gimme that hate amerikkka beat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

lol isnt this the ship that has galvanic corrosion problems?

you know, the thing the british navy figured out in the 1670s

no, that's a different insanely expensive ship, lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmU6B8ifD8

In the directors cut you find out the woman is also a magician

This is a whole series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwYu02BTL4s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i like the lamb goat that goes "they only have 200 years of history why are they lecturing uhuhuhuhhs"

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:38 on Dec 11, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Atrocious Joe posted:

This is a whole series
Watching these makes me feel like I took a shitload of drugs. This is like the state news equivalent of outsider art. Magician talking to a goat about sectarian differences in Iraq followed by a Wellerman cover. I'm in awe.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Watching these makes me feel like I took a shitload of drugs. This is like the state news equivalent of outsider art. Magician talking to a goat about sectarian differences in Iraq followed by a Wellerman cover. I'm in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkao2QlddUc&t=47s

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

This is a whole series
:captainpop:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

remember, this a littoral combat stealth ship built on the very realistic assumption that the millions of Chinese fishing boats will not be able to visually spot it off the coast

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is the assumption on all radar stealth. it makes a little bit of sense for small or night mission aircraft and absolutely nothing else in the age of global satellite coverage

not that dumb assumptions ever stopped the MIC from overcharging the gently caress out of people

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Palladium posted:

remember, this a littoral combat stealth ship built on the very realistic assumption that the millions of Chinese fishing boats will not be able to visually spot it off the coast

The Littoral Combat Ships are actually a completely different boondoggle, somehow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is what happens when you get paid to design hardware everyone knows will never be used seriously except in the opening of a nuclear war

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

This is the stealth destroyer with stealth that doesn’t work and with ammo that is too expensive to use.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Dec 11, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Question for the military nerds, do US actually sell price competitive arms in the international market?

I assume most of the US arm sales goes like this: The Feds print a lot of extra money; US government gives truck load of "military aid" to a third world country; the ruling elites take a big cut of said aid and turn around and give majority of the aid back to the US MIC to buy overpriced military gears. It's basically a "legal" racket to grease the palms and also keep the MIC/associated senators happy.

So my question is, does US actually sells price competitive weapons to the developing world/global south at all? Why would a poor country like Cambodia actually spend their hard earned foreign reserve to buy US weapon? Unless military aid is involved? That's why India buy most of the weapons from Russia and some from Europe and hardly anything from the US. I think India buys carrier gas turbine engine from GE and also C17 plane which basically have their own monopoly niche.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

reigning in banklers is literally the best thing any functional government can do

holy god drat i hate the notion that bankers should be independent and whatever else bullshit and gently caress this neolib poo poo from wsj

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's standard rote at this point that central banks must be independent, because politicians can't be trusted with national finances.

Which I suppose is true if you're a typical ignorant westerner who never got a Marxist education.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Palladium posted:

wait what

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question for the military nerds, do US actually sell price competitive arms in the international market?

I assume most of the US arm sales goes like this: The Feds print a lot of extra money; US government gives truck load of "military aid" to a third world country; the ruling elites take a big cut of said aid and turn around and give majority of the aid back to the US MIC to buy overpriced military gears. It's basically a "legal" racket to grease the palms and also keep the MIC/associated senators happy.

So my question is, does US actually sells price competitive weapons to the developing world/global south at all? Why would a poor country like Cambodia actually spend their hard earned foreign reserve to buy US weapon? Unless military aid is involved? That's why India buy most of the weapons from Russia and some from Europe and hardly anything from the US. I think India buys carrier gas turbine engine from GE and also C17 plane which basically have their own monopoly niche.

im no military nerd but price competitive?

lmao no chance

like poo poo most of the poo poo the MIC makes doesnt even work ouside of their supporting network of satellites, ship radar, ground troops, drone feeds, and communication. i forget what the name they gave for it was but yeah

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Atrocious Joe posted:

This is a whole series

drat i need more of that sinomedia because it loving rocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Full text of tweet:

AN OPEN LETTER TO ROBREDO

Dear VP Leni,

It was around this time in 2015 when I wrote an open letter to Roxas that went viral. I suggested that he should change his campaign strategies and political messages. Unfortunately, I was attacked by his supporters, so I silenced myself.

This time, I won't be quiet. I'll be exhaustive. I'll make sure that this open letter won't be dismissed as a mere plethora of personal opinions. I'm doing this because I don't want another government of liars and thieves. My insistence is noble since all I want is a good leader.

[cut for length]

Also, dump those who tell you that radical love and calm positivity will defeat populist, nostalgic, paternalistic, and strongman politics. A culture shaped by patriarchy and machismo doesn't consider love and positivity masculine or strong. They belong in churches and convents.

A positive campaign strategy that's passive and doesn't attack or counter is for losers. Elections are wars without bombs and guns but minds and mouths. They aren't for saints. Even good, righteous leaders become sinners when they campaign and govern like saints after they win.

Now let me illustrate your ineffective campaign that'll only waste a political movement and suggest remedies using the cases in India and the US. Perhaps your people will defensively say that we're Filipinos, but the cases I'll cite are similar to what we have in the Philippines.

The 2022 election in the Philippines is following the Indian general election in 2019. There were two main contenders for prime ministership--Modi (paternalistic, nostalgic incumbent PM) and Gandhi (reformist, idealistic opposition leader), almost like Marcos versus Robredo now.

Modi and Gandhi projected love and positivity in their campaigns, but Modi's supporters used lies, insults, fabricated images, and fake news against Gandhi who didn't attack or counter. Like Robredo who is called "stupid", Gandhi, who went to Cambridge, was called pappu (child).

Like the education of Marcos, Modi's is so vague that many consider him semi-literate. Gandhi was so like Robredo--calm, love, positivity, reforms, development, etc. In the end, Modi won although his previous government reeked of corruption, cronyism, economic mismanagement, etc.

Two things can be learned from that Indian case: idealistic positivity and virtuous politics are losing strategies. Attacks and counterattacks are necessary to win an election in an era of social media, mass disinformation, and manufactured narratives. Passiveness is surrender.

Another thing happened in the 2019 Indian election campaign that sealed the win of Modi. There was a bombing incident in Kashmir. Before that, Gandhi looked competitive. After that incident, the majority of Indians opted for Modi. Gandhi's positivity and idealism came off weak.

I'm afraid the 2022 election will follow the path of the 2019 Indian election. An explosion in Manila will defeat Robredo who has been attacked as weak and dumb using manufactured images and fabricated narratives that are unanswered because of radical love and calm positivity.

Our country is misogynistic. Our culture demeans what isn't macho. Our collective consciousness degrades weaknesses. Our society is ruled by patriarchy. Oh, in our politics, women leaders are labeled as whores or lunatics and always as weaklings if they're not GROs of patriarchy.

VP Leni, you've been called "crazy" and "delicate", and the attacks have failed to define and ruin you because the people see what you really are as our vice president. Sadly, you still have another tag to deal with--"weak". Radical love and calm positivity will reinforce that.

I'm not all about criticism. I also suggest. I offer alternatives. So, let me use Obama's campaign image and positive political campaign. Like you, Obama was a political outsider and he relied on his strong presidential image or on how people perceived him as a potential leader.

From the 2004 Democratic National Convention to the 2008 Presidential Election, Obama was about an image of strength--no drama, no clowning, but authenticity and audacity. During the 2008 election, he talked about hope and declared "Yes, we can", but he countered when attacked.

Obama's campaign in 2008 was, indeed, positive, inspiring, hopeful, and visionary, but his anti-Bush supporters were busy attacking Republicans and their capitalist allies and friends who made money out of coffins and body bags. They were noisy, livid, and effective. I was there.

Maybe your people will counter that my views are Americentric. Well, social media, black propaganda, fake news, manufactured images, and fabricated narratives are American inventions. Filipinos are just end-users. Political greed in Texas isn't different from that greed in Davao.

VP Leni, there's already a template for defeating populist demagogues and their hostile supporters like Trump and those MAGA "deplorables" in 2020, besides uniting. Movements, attacks and counterattacks online or offline and on social media or mainstream media worked for Biden.

Like you who are dismissed as "stupid" or "weak", Biden was also attacked as old and senile, which didn't really spread and root even though it could be possible based on his age. That was so because anti-Trump forces weren't passive and weak. Every lie was countered with truths.

Biden had two movements: of blacks and of anti-Trump Republicans. Those movements were too far from radical love and calm positivity. Biden focused on policies and reforms, while his supporters made attacking Trump, Republicans, MAGA, QAnon their daily duty online and offline.

We should learn from Roxas' blunders in 2016. Because he believed in "decency" and "the straight and narrow", he and his supporters didn't attack Duterte's "3 to 6 months" and counter the fabricated images and narratives unleashed by Dutertists. Please don't let the Marcosian conspiracy theory of Tallano Gold spread and take root.

Here's my suggestion: Allow the Pink Movement to attack and counterattack. Separate yourself from that political aggression. Let that movement organize a Lincoln Project or Meidas Touch. Focus on policies and reforms. Your image should be of strength. After all, you are our hope.

I'm not really sure why you want radical love and calm positivity to define your campaign when you should be talking about corruption, cronyism, economic crisis, Chinese puppetry, mass hunger, ballooning poverty, etc. Any movement exists not for love and quiet. That's so sixties.

Even the silent salt march of the Mahatma or the non-violent protest of that black minister who had a dream wasn't passive or weak. Non-violence may be physically passive, but their struggle for freedom was aggressive. VP Leni, please don't waste the movement that's behind you.

Done.

To be clear: I'm posting this source-your-quote because I want to relate the kind of mindset of what the Filipino liberal thinks is a mic drop moment of clarity and smart politics

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think they're generally price competitive vis a vis equivalent items from other countries, sure. Many things the US makes also don't have competitors with equivalent capabilities, but if you look at e.g. F-35 compared to other aircraft it competes with like Gripen or Rafale, it doesn't seem like the others are significantly cheaper, and they are probably significantly less capable. Countries like South Korea or Canada are generally not getting anything for free from anyone and even on a cost basis it at least makes sense for them to go with American weapons. Yes the JF-17 Thunder is cheaper, but no one is seriously thinking it's equivilant to an F-35. If China or India had access to the full panoply of US equipment you bet they'd buy a huge amount of them.

Fun tidbit. During the 1980s US/China honey moon period, Reagan (pbuh) actually authorized the sale of F-14s to China, and even for Grumman to set up Chinese production.

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/jssd/2018-06-02/doc-ihcikcew6243341.shtml

This would have been the absolute pinnacle of US technology at the time and on another level compared to the Blackhawks and the GE LM2500 ship engines that did eventually make it. Unfortunately, the F-14 eventually proved to be too expensive to maintain even for the US - its running cost were multiple times that of the F/A18 that replaced it and maybe even higher than the F-35, in today's dollars. Exact dollar comparisons are hard but basically running costs were the reason the US retired it even though the planes themselves still had life left.

The Chinese, which at the time I think had a per capita GDP on par with Bangladesh or Guatemala at the time, decided to pass on the offer due to budgetary reasons (presumably the entire state would have collapsed like the USSR under the strain of keeping a fleet of F14s operational), but if it had gone just a little differently, the Chinese air force today could have been based on derivatives of the F-14 instead of Sukhois.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would actually contest that considering numerous nations with access to American weaponry are instead choosing Russian/Chinese alternatives. The S 400 is a good example of this.

Also the su 27 is pretty comparable to the f-14 and usually there are comparable alternatives to most NATO equipment at this point. The new Su-75 seems to be comparable to the f-35.

(Also f-35 sales in particular are often the result of plenty of arm twisting and a lot of nations are buying them without a solid reason. Also, most decent later 4th generation fighters could take out a f-35 if it ever got close to it, it handles like a boat.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Dec 11, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I had never heard of F14 rumor. Why would China want a F14 in the 90s? they had no carrier.

See flagship fighter is not a good example of comparing weapon cost, because you are either only allowed to buy US planes (NATO, Japan, Korea etc); or you are not allowed to buy (Taiwan); or its too expensive to begin with (global south); or you are not allowed to touch (China/Russia/allies).

Now comparing 2nd tier, 3rd tier light fighter, or mid range tanks, I think they are fair comparison since most country can afford to buy them from most vendors. But I am not enough of a Clancy nerd to know this topic.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
didn’t Iran have f14?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stephenthinkpad posted:

I had never heard of F14 rumor. Why would China want a F14 in the 90s? they had no carrier.

See flagship fighter is not a good example of comparing weapon cost, because you are either only allowed to buy US planes (NATO, Japan, Korea etc); or you are not allowed to buy (Taiwan); or its too expensive to begin with (global south); or you are not allowed to touch (China/Russia/allies).

Now comparing 2nd tier, 3rd tier light fighter, or mid range tanks, I think they are fair comparison since most country can afford to buy them from most vendors. But I am not enough of a Clancy nerd to know this topic.

everyone wanted f14s, they were the hot poo poo around. see iran trying to keep the ones the shah got operational for decades with no spare parts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The drat things had radar so good that Iran was using it for awacs

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
fun trivia about the absolute pettiness of the american empire: iran having F-14s is why there are zero flight articles left in the states; the pentagon demanded that every single museum that had one hollow them out of their avionics and leave them as little more than empty shells while their actual equipment was cut up into little cubes, all to prevent the IRIAF from ever getting replacement parts for their aging fleet

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, it was in the 1980s when the F-14 generally was much better than most of the alternatives except perhaps the mig 29, which China didn’t have access to. By the 1990s, the PRC could access Soviet/Russia tech and went down that route (by that point the F-14 had more robust competition.)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

They wouldn't have a carrier now if they weren't already planning for it in the 1990s, and actually they had already bought multiple ex Soviet carriers by the end of the 1990s, one of which they even turned into an operational one.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

I would actually contest that considering numerous nations with access to American weaponry are instead choosing Russian/Chinese alternatives. The S 400 is a good example of this.

Also the su 27 is pretty comparable to the f-14 and usually there are comparable alternatives to most NATO equipment at this point. The new Su-75 seems to be comparable to the f-35.Do

(Also f-35 sales in particular are often the result of plenty of arm twisting and a lot of nations are buying them without a solid reason. Also, most decent later 4th generation fighters could take out a f-35 if it ever got close to it, it handles like a boat.)

Don't think the USA has anything comparable to the S-400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Btw, it was in the 1980s when the F-14 generally was much better than most of the alternatives except perhaps the mig 29, which China didn’t have access to. By the 1990s, the PRC could access Soviet/Russia tech and went down that route (by that point the F-14 had more robust competition.)

The F14 is twice the weight and much bigger than the Mig-29. The Mig-29 might have been equivalent to the F-16 or the original F/A-18 A/B (like what Canada/Finland still uses, not the current E/F which is a different plane). The Su-27 would have been the only other equivalent and the USSR wouldn't even let other Warsaw Pact countries have the Su-27 (only the Mig-29). There was no remote possibility that the Chinese would get that unless the USSR collapsed or something (oops).

The F-14 with it's very long range radar and very long range missile is basically what the Chinese are trying to build now with their Sukhois and PL-15, except they would have had it when Deng was still alive.