Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Judakel posted:

it would be utterly unwatchable, too. Zack Snyder is already garbage, but then you add the obnoxious tone of most anime and you've got real mind-poison.
Snyder's worst looking movie looked a lot better than LA Bebop, but it also had a larger budget than the entire season of LA Bebop.

LGD posted:

I mean it does make sense, people successfully adapt things to different mediums all the time, and it's very easy to name animated films that could be trivially translated to live action (off the top of my head: Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade)

Some Guy TT posted:

was this just speculative or were you aware theres a korean live action version of jin roh the wolf brigade

its got its issues but not for reasons having anything to do with it being adapted from a cartoon
Well it has a similar problem in that the anime has the most talented people in animation working on it and the korean live action remake does not have the most talented people in live action working on it, and the budget isn't really enough to pull off something that looks as good in live action as the original did in animation. But at least it had a movie budget and not a tv show budget so it looks like a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrMQyzy3WQ

There's also the Jin-Roh adjacent live action movie which had no budget but at least it has the original director and some nice no-budget charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxjIhuxRVY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1469466754221064192?s=20

Lmao

But also: RIP Queen

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

so I was watching Stripes tonight as I like to do and then doing some parallel Wikipedia'ing and imdb'ing and came upon Sean Young:

https://youtu.be/ZGNtGke9c8Y

There's an article or two around looking back on Sean Young's career, with various propositions like Hollywood couldn't handle her / she was difficult to work with / bad luck etc. Mostly it seems like so many before she was flavour of the month and then someone new was picked.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Forceholy posted:

Just saw the lighthouse.

Turpentine and latent homosexuality is a hell of a combo.

if you havent seen the 2016 version, it was really good. i did love the dafoe one though as well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Forceholy posted:

Just saw the lighthouse.

yeah it’s good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Forceholy posted:

Just saw the lighthouse.

it's a lot of fun

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Loved the mythology symbolism. Personally, I thought the lighthouse itself was nothing special. Ephraim laughing at the end is just him realizing he murdered Wake for nothing.

Robert Pattison's own monologue after he gets fired is just as good as Dafoe's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Koirhor posted:

I loving love Keanu

Was pretty cyberpunk how people made a bang Keanu's character in cyberpunk mod and CDPR told the fans to knock off .

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Koirhor posted:

I loving love Keanu

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Good soup! posted:

Remember the Oldboy remake lmao

this is the kind of movie i would make if the only material i had to work with was my baked college roommate's attempt at describing the major plot points of the original

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Remember the Oldboy remake lmao

a spike lee joint

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nonathlon posted:

There's an article or two around looking back on Sean Young's career, with various propositions like Hollywood couldn't handle her / she was difficult to work with / bad luck etc. Mostly it seems like so many before she was flavour of the month and then someone new was picked.

idk if i'm mistaking her for someone else but wasnt' her father also her agent and basically a proto-jamie spears?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

watched oliver stone's salvador, kind of conflicted because it's generally okay but centering it on a scumbag american journalist kinda weakens it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dr. Killjoy posted:

:allears:
https://twitter.com/senatornaomi/status/1469196996162555904?s=20
aspiring tv writer (currently cowboy bebop
@netflix
#prewga #iatse871). revolutionary leftism, restorative justice, eco-anarchism.

Her mom is a VP at netflix lmao

https://twitter.com/rodneystubbs/status/1469529944858394624

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Can't believe she cancelled the show just to get around having to fire her daughter specifically.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

so I was watching Stripes tonight as I like to do and then doing some parallel Wikipedia'ing and imdb'ing and came upon Sean Young:

https://youtu.be/ZGNtGke9c8Y

:captainpop:

Serf
May 5, 2011

just watched "the last duel"

gotta say, for all the controversy on twitter the movie makes it pretty loving explicit what the message is. you'd have to be braindead to not notice that when the title card "the truth according to the lady marguerite" pops up, when it fades out the words "the truth" lingers for an extra full three seconds. the movie does not gently caress around with its message.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The Cowboy Bebop show did surprisingly well in viewing hours but got dropped one month after airing. This really feels like they were just trying to print money without any actual care. No faith in the product and released it like movie studios release movies in January.

I’d want to say that someone in the boardroom was fearing diminishing returns for the second season and wanted to cut while they were ahead. It’s just this whole thing feels corporate as gently caress down to the showrunner’s mom being VP of a Netflix department. Naomi probably won’t get fired. Just put in another comfy desk job and posting how hard her life is for engagement.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it owns that the entertainment industry is so fueled by nepotism that at this point huge amounts of industry jobs are filled by people without any talent or competency whatsoever and the decline is kinda obvious.

love the inbred media aristocracy

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The Cowboy Bebop show did surprisingly well in viewing hours but got dropped one month after airing. This really feels like they were just trying to print money without any actual care. No faith in the product and released it like movie studios release movies in January.

I’d want to say that someone in the boardroom was fearing diminishing returns for the second season and wanted to cut while they were ahead. It’s just this whole thing feels corporate as gently caress down to the showrunner’s mom being VP of a Netflix department. Naomi probably won’t get fired. Just put in another comfy desk job and posting how hard her life is for engagement.

it cost like 70 million to make lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It’s just this whole thing feels corporate as gently caress down to the showrunner’s mom being VP of a Netflix department. Naomi probably won’t get fired. Just put in another comfy desk job and posting how hard her life is for engagement.

she's more of a runner on the show than a showrunner, to be clear. still true though.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Maya Fey posted:

Which means it could be nowhere close enough to profit that they killed it fast. Who knows what the gently caress viewing hours equal to dollars in Netflix math

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
maybe netflix just got its feelings hurt that everyone made fun of it

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

If Netflix ever gets into a big business scandal, I swear whoever and however they organized this wreck of a show is going to come up.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm going to start Netflix 2, a mail order business where people can sign up to rent Blu Rays through the mail. They are higher quality than streaming, will have a wider selection, and it gets rid of the paralysis of choice that streaming pages provoke. Who wants to log on to sort through dozens of poo poo movies before even starting to consider what to watch. Instead, you'll make a list of movies you want to watch that will then get mailed out to you, so you can start watching immediately.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

I said this before. that’s genuinely my guess

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

StashAugustine posted:

watched oliver stone's salvador, kind of conflicted because it's generally okay but centering it on a scumbag american journalist kinda weakens it

It's a powerful important film. But yeah, why worry about nuns being graphically raped and murdered, let's focus on what scumbag journalist thinks about it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah since most of the online meme material was making fun of the show and the cringe factor.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1469578588743553025

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

nonathlon posted:

It's a powerful important film. But yeah, why worry about nuns being graphically raped and murdered, let's focus on what scumbag journalist thinks about it.

yeah lol. I think it could have worked with a bit more self reflection- like the whole justification for American foreign policy is to help slimeballs get laid for under :tenbux: but no one points this out and I kinda think it hasnt really occurred to the writers

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

Reminder Red notice cost 200 million, more than Dune lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
no loving way it cost 200 million. that's a scam for the rock's production company

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

McCloud posted:

Reminder Red notice cost 200 million, more than Dune lol

wtf

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

yeah lol. I think it could have worked with a bit more self reflection- like the whole justification for American foreign policy is to help slimeballs get laid for under :tenbux: but no one points this out and I kinda think it hasnt really occurred to the writers

umm isn't the whole moral of the film is that liberals either don't care or will actively enable atrocities in order to maintain their priveleged lifestyle?
🤔

like it shows that the the oppression and exploitation of South america/the global South is inescapable, even once you make it to "the land of the free" the oppression is still apparent as its the whole source of it all.

thatfatkid has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Dec 12, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

gotta say, for all the controversy on twitter the movie makes it pretty loving explicit what the message is. you'd have to be braindead to not notice that when the title card "the truth according to the lady marguerite" pops up, when it fades out the words "the truth" lingers for an extra full three seconds. the movie does not gently caress around with its message.
(blue check) twitter libs are genuinely the dumbest people. and yeah i noticed that too, it's really not hiding it at all about the actual truth and various sides of toxic masculinity

it was a really good movie. i didnt even notice it was even long at all.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

(blue check) twitter libs are genuinely the dumbest people.

it was a really good movie. i didnt even notice it was even long at all.

Yeah the last duel is a rare actually good post-Gladiator Ridley Scott film

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

thatfatkid posted:

Yeah the last duel is a rare actually good post-Gladiator Ridley Scott film

director's cut version of Kingdom of Heaven is reasonably good. but yeah a lot of his 2000+ output hasn't been all that great. the martian was kinda boring and i really don't like matt damon but i thought he was good enough in TLD.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
police story 2 is really drat good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

umm isn't the whole moral of the film is that liberals either don't care or will actively enable atrocities in order to maintain their priveleged lifestyle?
🤔

like it shows that the the oppression and exploitation of South america/the global South is inescapable, even once you make it to "the land of the free" the oppression is still apparent as its the whole source of it all.

yeah that's what i took away but i already believe that so idk if it's intentional. oh well just chalk it up to death of the author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Serf posted:

also just watched this and yeah if anything it felt like it was trying to beat you over the head with it in an incredibly unsubtle manner. like even in de Gris' version of events he's still obviously a complete piece of poo poo. the fight at the end rocked too