Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The dreadnought heavy cruisers, for one :colbert:

I would’ve liked to have seen an imperial Nebulon B, since those were initially imperial ships that the rebels somehow thieved all of them.

Aside from those 2, I’m not sure what else there would be to add for the GCW. The Clone Wars was going to be some fertile ground, but, well…

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Rebels have eleven different ship models and the Empire has ten (I'm not counting the Chimaera paint job ISD as a separate model lol). I think for a Star Trek equivalent you'd have to basically make the game Feds vs Everyone Else.

Star Fleet Battles has been dreaming up weird ships for decades. I'm sure you could mine Star Trek through its various shows for a bunch of different stuff. Even if you stick to one era - say, TNG/DS9 - you could come up with dozens of designs.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Clone Wars was going to be some fertile ground, but, well…

:smith::hf::smith:

Man, I was so jazzed at the thought of an Armada Lucrehulk. I love that design and was hoping we might see them as another huge ship.

That and the Subjugator-class, which would be prime territory for some ignition arc shenanigans.

At least the models we do have are great, and the game is in a pretty good place rules-wise.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ehhhh, I'm not so sure about Star Trek having that many more starships to bring to the table. Sure, there's a shitload of weird kitbash Federation ships in the canon in addition to the hero ships, but the other space countries only have a handful of ship classes each.

The Rebels have eleven different ship models and the Empire has ten (I'm not counting the Chimaera paint job ISD as a separate model lol). I think for a Star Trek equivalent you'd have to basically make the game Feds vs Everyone Else.

The way the (terrible) Star Trek Attack Wing game handled this was by letting you mix not only ships of any affiliation but put captains of any affiliation on ships of any affiliation, iirc. You just had to pay a 1 point penalty for each card that didn't match its host ship's faction.

Imagine trying to balance Xwing 1st Edition when you could put Soontir or Vader on any ship in the game.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sure I'll just put cloaked mines (the dumbest card ever printed) on all my ships!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cessna posted:

Star Fleet Battles has been dreaming up weird ships for decades. I'm sure you could mine Star Trek through its various shows for a bunch of different stuff. Even if you stick to one era - say, TNG/DS9 - you could come up with dozens of designs.

Sure, like I said, there's an armada of different classes and sub-types in the TNG/DS9/Voyager era for Starfleet. Even if you restricted yourself to "only ships which were clearly seen in more than one episode" you could come up with over a dozen, easily.

Things get a lot more sparse once you step out of the Federation, though. The Romulans only have four starship types in all of the TNG/DS9/Voyager era, and half of those showed up in Nemesis. (Maybe a fifth, if you count that runabout-sized craft the Romulan senator shows up to DS9 with.) I think the Cardassians only have three. The Klingons are a little better represented but their most iconic models are leftovers from the TOS movies (and at least two of their ships are the exact same shooting model, but depicted at different sizes).

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely been very creative designs created for other Star Trek games; I'm pretty fond of the designs in Interplay's Starfleet Command and Klingon Academy games, for example. A prospective "Star Trek: Armada (the tabletop game)" designer could easily generate new designs to flesh out the other fleets. Probably a lot easier than trying to re-license some of the licensed works, even. But I don't think that points to Trek being better positioned to bring models to the table.

Derlix posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Man, I was so jazzed at the thought of an Armada Lucrehulk. I love that design and was hoping we might see them as another huge ship.

That and the Subjugator-class, which would be prime territory for some ignition arc shenanigans.

At least the models we do have are great, and the game is in a pretty good place rules-wise.

I hear ya, buddy. I was really looking forward to seeing that big ol' space donut on the board.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

General Battuta posted:

The way the (terrible) Star Trek Attack Wing game handled this was by letting you mix not only ships of any affiliation but put captains of any affiliation on ships of any affiliation, iirc. You just had to pay a 1 point penalty for each card that didn't match its host ship's faction.

Imagine trying to balance Xwing 1st Edition when you could put Soontir or Vader on any ship in the game.

This is also gross to me from a thematic standpoint, but then I'm the kind of nerd who wrinkles his nose at Rebel v Rebel games.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This is also gross to me from a thematic standpoint

Nonsense! Whale Trek best Trek.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

I'd just go "it's the Dominion war, everything until then can show up". Only two factions, multiple subfactions, and leave the Enterprise out of it entirely.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

banned from Starbucks posted:

Nonsense! Whale Trek best Trek.

"exception that proves the rule," etc ;)

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd just go "it's the Dominion war, everything until then can show up". Only two factions, multiple subfactions, and leave the Enterprise out of it entirely.

What?! How can you leave the Enterprise out? Surely part of the fun is the officer and ship title upgrade cards.

"we never saw the Enterprise in DS9" they were just fighting in another sector, okay??

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dang I really want Star Trek Armada now.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'd be fine with Star Trek Armada as long as it wasn't run by wizkids. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cottage industry of fan-made Star Trek ship/upgrade cards for Armada, and 3D-printable ships + printable base cards.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

"exception that proves the rule," etc ;)

What?! How can you leave the Enterprise out? Surely part of the fun is the officer and ship title upgrade cards.

"we never saw the Enterprise in DS9" they were just fighting in another sector, okay??
Because they didn't fight and Picard is salty about it in one of the movies.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Class Warcraft posted:

Dang I really want Star Trek Armada now.

I wish it would run on modern PCs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

While they are not to scale the Eaglemoss models are great.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

bunnyofdoom posted:

I wish it would run on modern PCs.

GOG are apparently working on it for Armada and Armada 2. I assume the delay there is technical and not related to rights or anything (since there are several other Trek games from the Activision era that they're selling)

I'd buy in hard on a proper (and good) official Star Trek: Armada a la the FFG Star Wars stuff but CBS's incompetence doesn't end with making bad shows, it apparently also extends to managing the IP's licensing deals.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Drone posted:

GOG are apparently working on it for Armada and Armada 2. I assume the delay there is technical and not related to rights or anything (since there are several other Trek games from the Activision era that they're selling)

I'd buy in hard on a proper (and good) official Star Trek: Armada a la the FFG Star Wars stuff but CBS's incompetence doesn't end with making bad shows, it apparently also extends to managing the IP's licensing deals.

God that was such a fun game.

Also on the whole non-Star Wars models for Armada, Mel's miniatures has BSG at least for armada

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bunnyofdoom posted:

God that was such a fun game.

Also on the whole non-Star Wars models for Armada, Mel's miniatures has BSG at least for armada

Now there an IP with only a handful of ships.
But also lol if they made cards for the thirty civilian ships in the floatilla

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Icon Of Sin posted:

The dreadnought heavy cruisers, for one :colbert:

I would’ve liked to have seen an imperial Nebulon B, since those were initially imperial ships that the rebels somehow thieved all of them.

Aside from those 2, I’m not sure what else there would be to add for the GCW. The Clone Wars was going to be some fertile ground, but, well…

Oh, I had thoughts about this but forgot to post earlier. Yes, if the GCW really needed more representation in Armada (I'm still at a loss as to what niches remain un-filled), as mentioned the dreadnought heavy cruisers would be a candidate:

Other ships that come readily to mind include the Brahatok gunship:

The Strike cruiser:

and the Nebulon B2:

But really the Clone Wars should remain the priority for new ships. :)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Basically I want to rerun the whole of the TIE Fighter campaign in both armada and x wing thanks

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

HootTheOwl posted:

Basically I want to rerun the whole of the TIE Fighter campaign in both armada and x wing thanks

I want the Ultimate experience where we can resolve Armada Squadron combat via X Wing.

The game takes 10 hours to resolve.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Feeple posted:

I want the Ultimate experience where we can resolve Armada Squadron combat via X Wing.

You forgot to include boarding missions resolved through Legion/Imperial Assault as well.

EDIT: Wait, let's also zoom back in the opposite direction and frame the whole thing within Star Wars: Rebellion.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 13, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I see you’re all on the same page with me re: the Battle of Endor, with games of Armada, X-Wing, and Legion all running concurrently and affecting each other :getin:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Feeple posted:

Oh so about an hour shorter than a mission of tie fighter?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

HootTheOwl posted:

Kids just don't have the attention span these days.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

JazzFlight posted:

You forgot to include boarding missions resolved through Legion/Imperial Assault as well.

EDIT: Wait, let's also zoom back in the opposite direction and frame the whole thing within Star Wars: Rebellion.

I like the cut of your space-jib.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Drone posted:

Both Armada 1 and 2 are available for me to buy right now. Is there something wrong with these versions?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JazzFlight posted:

Disney is all about multi-media story releases, so they should definitely tie all of their tabletop games together in a similar fashion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AndyElusive posted:

Both Armada 1 and 2 are available for me to buy right now. Is there something wrong with these versions?

Nothing. Convenently, GOG released those versions like a day after I posted that post. Before that the status on them was "Coming Soon"

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Thank you, thread, for uncovering repressed memories of the eighteen missions in Armada 2 centered entirely on painstakingly chiseling through a turret minefield with artillery ships. Especially the loving Klingon one, that only had a single voice bark for all responses.

REVENGE IS A DISSSSH BEST SERVED COLD

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arquinsiel posted:

Because they didn't fight and Picard is salty about it in one of the movies.

Yeah, think the explanation was supposedly the Enterprise was frantically running around taking care of all the regular stuff all those fleet ships usually did. I suppose she was the best suited to any crisis situation without backup, and God knows there were still tons of colonies needing treatment for plagues of Space STIs or something. Either that, or whatever bureaucrat said no to the Enterprise when the Borg attacked got pissed and kept the Enterprise out of the Dominion War as punishment for ignoring them the first time. Either answer seems plausible to me (though I suspect the second one).

HootTheOwl posted:

I still can’t figure out how I had the time to finish that game completely as a kid.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, think the explanation was supposedly the Enterprise was frantically running around taking care of all the regular stuff all those fleet ships usually did. I suppose she was the best suited to any crisis situation without backup, and God knows there were still tons of colonies needing treatment for plagues of Space STIs or something. Either that, or whatever bureaucrat said no to the Enterprise when the Borg attacked got pissed and kept the Enterprise out of the Dominion War as punishment for ignoring them the first time. Either answer seems plausible to me (though I suspect the second one).

I still can’t figure out how I had the time to finish that game completely as a kid.

Also in a war where they're losing ships left and right the Enterprise is too potent of a symbol to throw into the fray.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Enterprise not being allowed to fight in the Dominion War is an incarnation/allegory of the franchise leadership refusing to support DS9.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This is about as much the Armada thread as any, and I wanted to show off the Millennium Falcon I just painted. So there. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is about as much the Armada thread as any, and I wanted to show off the Millennium Falcon I just painted. So there. :colbert:

That's a good lil' Falcon

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/3/24/unfinished-business/

Outer Rim is finally getting an expansion. Been looking forward to this for a while.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1512089884982403077

Armada is not dead yet!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Interesting way to increase the variety and do some cross-faction selling for the game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Interesting way to increase the variety and do some cross-faction selling for the game.

Literally. I had no intention of buying a Providence or any sep ship and now.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gozantis for the Separatists was not a thing I would have predicted.