Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Libluini posted:

oh yeah, I keep forgetting that's an option, because in my experience it only has a 50/50 chance of working, I had a collection of some old space 4x plus add-ons lying around and when I wanted to add it to Steam for convenience it didn't want to accept the game key as valid. after some frustration venting I just out of curiosity tried it on GOG and it worked

so GOG can do that, too

They were talking about the "Add a non-steam game" feature, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It should have a cart too! I actually didn't realize the Switch eshop didn't; the Playstation Store does which is the one I've used the most.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prism posted:

Again: It took them three years to add a cart, bringing them up to the approximate functionality of an Etsy store.

It's not that you have to do magic tricks, it's that they absolutely suck at making it more than the bare minimum of useable.

Okay but then, so what? If the issue is just using EGS to buy the one or two exclusives they have over there, as people are presently considering with FF7R, why does it bother anyone that they can’t purchase a whole lot of games at once? How does that affect their gaming experience at all besides the point of sale?

I’m not saying EGS is totally awesome or that they shouldn’t make improvements to their storefront, but I wish people would just be honest that they really don’t give a poo poo about any of these features and just don’t like Epic on an emotional level, or feel some sort of loyalty to Steam. That would be a lot more understandable than people pretending they’d totally love EGS if only it had a cart option.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Okay but then, so what? If the issue is just using EGS to buy the one or two exclusives they have over there, as people are presently considering with FF7R, why does it bother anyone that they can’t purchase a whole lot of games at once? How does that affect their gaming experience at all besides the point of sale?

I’m not saying EGS is totally awesome or that they shouldn’t make improvements to their storefront, but I wish people would just be honest that they really don’t give a poo poo about any of these features and just don’t like Epic on an emotional level, or feel some sort of loyalty to Steam. That would be a lot more understandable than people pretending they’d totally love EGS if only it had a cart option.
if their goal is to replace steam they should probably consider being better than steam. nobody is saying that buying ff7r on it instead of steam is the labors of heracles just that its annoying epic thinks just continually throwing money at timed exclusives will eventually get them the market share they want, and that they have the money to keep doing that for the rest of our lives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have zero love for Steam and absolutely think epics absolutely lazy design is a big problem so maybe don’t project so much I guess?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not 'pretending I would totally use EGS if only it had a cart option' or whatever you would like me to have said. I use EGS now.

It's just a good example to show that their interest in making their shop better for the user is direly low. It's not good as a shop. If they want to compete with Valve they should expect that having their storefront compared to Steam's is going to happen, and it's not even close right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prism posted:

I'm not 'pretending I would totally use EGS if only it had a cart option' or whatever you would like me to have said. I use EGS now.

It's just a good example to show that their interest in making their shop better for the user is direly low. It's not good as a shop. If they want to compete with Valve they should expect that having their storefront compared to Steam's is going to happen, and it's not even close right now.

It’s not a good shop, I don’t think anyone is in disagreement there. Once you buy the game however, it’s basically indistinguishable from Steam. Whether or not Epic ever truly competes with Valve is unimportant to me, the features people use to compare Steam to EGS are mostly unimportant to me, and I don’t really have a horse in this race other than to buy whatever and wherever is most convenient, when I have to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not more inconvient it’s the only option.

Words have meaning

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

I was talking about the same thing. I know it's possible, but it doesn't always work.

Of course now that I have to think about this some more, I suddenly remember that in this one instance I brought up as example, the bundle was also on Steam for some reason. So GOG accepting the key and Steam not is even weirder!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I use both. :twisted:

I use neither. DRM-free (GoG, itch.io) or bust!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Libluini posted:

I was talking about the same thing. I know it's possible, but it doesn't always work.

Of course now that I have to think about this some more, I suddenly remember that in this one instance I brought up as example, the bundle was also on Steam for some reason. So GOG accepting the key and Steam not is even weirder!

Adding a non-steam game doesn't involve any game keys, though?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

With the "add a non-Steam game" feature, you should be pointing Steam at an executable, not entering keys at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Adding a non-steam game doesn't involve any game keys, though?

Commander Keene posted:

With the "add a non-Steam game" feature, you should be pointing Steam at an executable, not entering keys at all.

Huh. Could be that I'm misremembering things then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morpheus posted:

The issue is that they're working on beating Steam, not being better than Steam.

So let's say they, uh, 'win', and Steam goes away. What's left is a pretty bad service that no longer has the incentive to do what they've been doing these past years. They've barely been improving their actual service, and if they're the only store on the block and no longer have any reason to fund development or give out free stuff, yikes.

Are you talking about Steam or EGS? :v:

Steam sucks, EGS sucks more. Neither one is your friend. Let them fight.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Libluini posted:

(I still have no idea why Dungeon Siege II starts on my machine over GOG, but not over Steam. I only paid like 2 bucks on Steam and still had to give it back when it wouldn't run.)

Not that this matters really, but a lot of times with older games GOG rolls in community fixes and very occasionally creates patches for them to get them to work.

Holdover practice from when they were "Good Old Games" & I think GOG still has a QC step of "will this run?" before things are listed. Steam just puts the files up so especially with 90s-00s games they often just won't work.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 10, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Switch's store should be backwards like the Playstation store. I shouldn't need to put in my password just to browse it. If I'm gonna buy something then it should ask for that information.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

RareAcumen posted:

Switch's store should be backwards like the Playstation store. I shouldn't need to put in my password just to browse it. If I'm gonna buy something then it should ask for that information.

"asking a password when you click the eshop icon" in the switch is a setting you can turn off (and you can keep the "password when buying" too)!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

epic's launcher doesn't work as well on my laptop as steam does.. it's weird because as little function as the epic client has, it has performed worse than the steam client

the store sucks to browse too. steam has lots of problems with its tags but discoverability on epic is garbage it's just.. it just throws everything at you. it's something they can maybe get away with when their store has less than 200 games, but when it's like 500.. 1000... nope lol

anyway, i go where the deals are, but the last few epic sales haven't had the $10 coupon so. idk. i've bought stuff more off of steam and humble store and none off of epic in autumn sales

rpgs the rpg thread

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It’s not a good shop, I don’t think anyone is in disagreement there. Once you buy the game however, it’s basically indistinguishable from Steam. Whether or not Epic ever truly competes with Valve is unimportant to me, the features people use to compare Steam to EGS are mostly unimportant to me, and I don’t really have a horse in this race other than to buy whatever and wherever is most convenient, when I have to.

It's not tho, you're missing out on poo poo like controller support and remote play.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Booky posted:

"asking a password when you click the eshop icon" in the switch is a setting you can turn off (and you can keep the "password when buying" too)!

Oh! Shows how much I've been using my Switch lately, drat. Thank you for telling me that!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Not quite. I can turn off the overlay on Steam but EGS' is always on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have fond memories of Monster Rancher 2 but I never could get far because I was too young to really understand the underlying mechanics so my mon would always get their rear end kicked in the arena.

Also am I misremembering or were a bunch of CDs like..locked? in some way. I have vague memories of trying a bunch and being unable to get anything out of them.

Pretty sure you could just focus (almost) entirely on speed/evasion/whatever it's called and win due to things having almost no chance of hitting you while you'll chip away at them and when the time runs out you're at 100% hp and they're at less than 100% hp so you win.

Monster Rancher games are neat but the actual combat mechanics kinda suck.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure you could just focus (almost) entirely on speed/evasion/whatever it's called and win due to things having almost no chance of hitting you while you'll chip away at them and when the time runs out you're at 100% hp and they're at less than 100% hp so you win.

Monster Rancher games are neat but the actual combat mechanics kinda suck.
I've never tried that, but wouldn't that stop working in the mid-lategame where you hit your SPD cap at 999, some enemies' HIT scores start to approach that number, and you haven't unlocked the increased cap yet?

e: plus you miss out on the money and fame bonuses you get for scoring KOs

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m having decision paralysis about who to choose as my fifth character for the final dungeon of Phantasy Star IV. Help

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kild posted:

Doesn't magically generating a steam forum for the game where you can ask for advice, or google up other people having previously asked for advice on your problem , etc. Anything that works against all game advice/discussion disappearing into unsearchable discords is good

Kild posted:

It's not tho, you're missing out on poo poo like controller support and remote play.

:hmmyes:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m having decision paralysis about who to choose as my fifth character for the final dungeon of Phantasy Star IV. Help

Seth.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Raja is easy mode. Demi or Kyra is maybe the next harder step, slightly, then probably Hahn. Taking Gryz can be rough if the core four party members are underleveled, though at the end of the day this is still the smoothest of the original Phantasy Star games in terms of difficulty, so unless everyone's in the low 30s or something it should be hard to mess up the endgame with all the tools you have at your disposal by then.

Not taking a fifth character at all can be fun too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Take Demi, she rules

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I quit bothering with the egs because I constantly got notifications about people trying to hack my account. There was just so much about it like the weird multicast stuff screwing with all the tvs in the house, or copying steams localconfig.vdf and xoring it with ff (incredible excuses they came uopwith for that incidentally. They were encrypting it, honest!) thing they're at best incompetent or at worst trying to harvest your information. Not worth dealing with that.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not more inconvient it’s the only option.

Words have meaning

...did you mean more convenient?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Delsaber posted:

Raja is easy mode. Demi or Kyra is maybe the next harder step, slightly, then probably Hahn. Taking Gryz can be rough if the core four party members are underleveled, though at the end of the day this is still the smoothest of the original Phantasy Star games in terms of difficulty, so unless everyone's in the low 30s or something it should be hard to mess up the endgame with all the tools you have at your disposal by then.

I was thinking Kyra since she can do a little bit of everything, including healing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Take Gryz because its hilarious that he's an option.

"Why yes I will take early game sidequest guy from the first five hours of the game to the final dungeon over all the people I've recruited since then who have exponentially more qualifications and investment in this."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zore posted:

Take Gryz because its hilarious that he's an option.

"Why yes I will take early game sidequest guy from the first five hours of the game to the final dungeon over all the people I've recruited since then who have exponentially more qualifications and investment in this."

Hey having an emotional investment in the outcome doesn't get you a role in the party over Chad and Brad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
love that among all of the people in dds2 whose soul data was transferred into the sun as part of seraph's newly unlocked power of friendship, they included loving, johnny the traveling store guy giving the most depressing dialog of any side character. and also threw in lore that the lokapola pyro jack is part of johnny's family. this really is serious business.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Delsaber posted:

I would rate the final party members as Raja > Kyra > Hahn > Demi > Gryz, personally. Demi being an android means that you now have two characters who can't be easily AoE healed(and she's not quite as chufty as Wren), and Medic Power and Phononmezer aren't terribly impressive at this point.

Raja is a god healer who also has a few shots of great damage, Kyra and Hahn are both supplementary buffers with some solid utility spells(with Kyra edging out Hahn), Demi is basically Worse Wren with a crappy AoE heal, and Gryz...is basically Chaz if Chaz had no techs, no combos, and no Elsydeon. He's probably the only one who is an actual handicap.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

im going at this in the opposite order to you (anime -> game) and my opinion so far is that i feel like hiori was kind of fully developed as a character in the anime and there's others characters in it who could have used a second run the way uta got. curious if youll feel the same way when youre done

just finished the anime and as promised I watched it with this question in mind. Post will probably get a bit rambly because, I want to talk about the anime I just watched. Spoilers for the entirety of the anime and BR2, I guess, idk where you are in the game.

There's a chance some of my character judgments are a bit off, because I watched like 8 of the episodes in the second half around 1:00 AM after playing Endwalker. Like I'm not 100% sure why Ryoka rejoined the good guys, and I have no idea if that's because it's unclear in the anime, or if I was just tired. Ditto Mio.

Anyways, I sort of agree with you that Hiori was done, and didn't need to show up again. And then in BR2 she's just sort of there, without a real purpose. I mean, that's not unique to her--basically only Rena, Yuki, and Uta are actually plot-relevant, and the rest exist to be fun to talk to. But idk, I don't really feel like Hiori clicked with me in the game.

Mio did click with me in the game, but like, she's barely Mio? On the one hand you could say that it's just exploring another side of the character, but on the other, you could just make a new character with a similar dynamic with Ao and make her fit better into the story of the game, rather than being ancillary. I can't be too mad though because I really liked her dynamic with Ao. A character of contrasts.

Uta was great in the game but I can say confidently that she's not the same character as in the anime. Not even in the sense that she has amnesia and is socialized differently, which is what the game claims. But like, it's hard to square Hiori's description of how she used to be, and her own explanation of her past self, with how she appears in the anime. I think it really worked to have a character whose amnesia allowed them to have a second chance at deciding who they were, but that the character they wrote in that slot, isn't the Uta from the anime. She worked well in both though, so again, I can't be too mad.

Anyways the characters I most want to see in a hypothetical rewrite of BR2 are probably Ruka and Shino. Ruka had a bit at the beginning about how hard it was for her to talk to people, which got brushed away almost immediately, but probably would have worked really well with the form and setting of BR2, where you get to see her opening up to Ao, chapter by chapter. Shino just deserves some on-screen happiness. Maybe her heartscape would be too dark for the tone of BR2 though. It was really intense in the anime. And the game and anime are pretty different tonally, with BR2 being about connections between friends, and happy memories, when the anime is all about depression. It might just not work.

Shoutouts to Niina, not because I think she'd be a great fit for BR2, but because she's my favorite character

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It’s not a good shop, I don’t think anyone is in disagreement there. Once you buy the game however, it’s basically indistinguishable from Steam.

This is patently false, as anyone who plays a game with a modding scene can tell you.

EGS is also weirdly slow on every device I own. It's bad enough that I use GOG to launch my EGS games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

just finished the anime and as promised I watched it with this question in mind. Post will probably get a bit rambly because, I want to talk about the anime I just watched. Spoilers for the entirety of the anime and BR2, I guess, idk where you are in the game.

There's a chance some of my character judgments are a bit off, because I watched like 8 of the episodes in the second half around 1:00 AM after playing Endwalker. Like I'm not 100% sure why Ryoka rejoined the good guys, and I have no idea if that's because it's unclear in the anime, or if I was just tired. Ditto Mio.

Anyways, I sort of agree with you that Hiori was done, and didn't need to show up again. And then in BR2 she's just sort of there, without a real purpose. I mean, that's not unique to her--basically only Rena, Yuki, and Uta are actually plot-relevant, and the rest exist to be fun to talk to. But idk, I don't really feel like Hiori clicked with me in the game.

Mio did click with me in the game, but like, she's barely Mio? On the one hand you could say that it's just exploring another side of the character, but on the other, you could just make a new character with a similar dynamic with Ao and make her fit better into the story of the game, rather than being ancillary. I can't be too mad though because I really liked her dynamic with Ao. A character of contrasts.

Uta was great in the game but I can say confidently that she's not the same character as in the anime. Not even in the sense that she has amnesia and is socialized differently, which is what the game claims. But like, it's hard to square Hiori's description of how she used to be, and her own explanation of her past self, with how she appears in the anime. I think it really worked to have a character whose amnesia allowed them to have a second chance at deciding who they were, but that the character they wrote in that slot, isn't the Uta from the anime. She worked well in both though, so again, I can't be too mad.

Anyways the characters I most want to see in a hypothetical rewrite of BR2 are probably Ruka and Shino. Ruka had a bit at the beginning about how hard it was for her to talk to people, which got brushed away almost immediately, but probably would have worked really well with the form and setting of BR2, where you get to see her opening up to Ao, chapter by chapter. Shino just deserves some on-screen happiness. Maybe her heartscape would be too dark for the tone of BR2 though. It was really intense in the anime. And the game and anime are pretty different tonally, with BR2 being about connections between friends, and happy memories, when the anime is all about depression. It might just not work.

Shoutouts to Niina, not because I think she'd be a great fit for BR2, but because she's my favorite character

Yeah, I was definitely thinking Shino - it would have been nice to see her actually acting on her own now that she's 'free' of her past, in a sense, and they could have emphasized other parts of her heartscape. But then you'd need Hiori around for the more PG parts of her heartscape, so iunno. Shino and Mio would probably be the most interesting pair, and would give Uta more connective tissue to her role in the anime, but a lot of Shino's backstory leans on Hiori, and her not being around for Mio would also feel a bit shaky.

Speaking of Uta, it's definitely hard to square no matter which way you approach it, but I do kind of like that in a sense. It's weird to say, but her sense of humor is actually pretty similar across 'both' versions, which acts as okay enough glue to hold the whole enterprise together. And the tones of the anime and the game are also pretty differnet, but they both do have a theme of young women working through their trauma and their identities together, even if the game is a bit lighter on it, and I think Uta kind of works in that context too.

And yeah, Niina's great. Her backstory episode was the highlight of the whole show to me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just want achievements.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Incidentally there does seem to have been something of an attempt to make Uta a pseudo-mascot for the recent Blue Reflection stuff, there were little skits that focused on her posted to the youtube channel daily then weekly during the anime's run. Most of them were her making jokes at Niina, Mio, and Shino. There's a cooking joke that I'm pretty sure gets repeated in both the anime and Second Light, for instance. It's kind of interesting that she, of all characters, is the thread running through this revival stuff. Sadly I predict the upcoming mobage will flop and we will not get any more blue reflection stuff, but Ray and Second Light are both pretty complete in themselves, and I'm really happy with how they've expanded on the good parts of the original game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only wish is that they'd found some way to work in the big kaiju fights where everyone's powers combine into the second game other than the last boss I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is there any other big, good magical girl RPGs aside from Blue Reflection?