Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Looks like it has a flared base....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vegetable posted:

Is there a good way to hide a Blue Yeti mic during a Zoom meeting? Kinda a dumb question but I came into possession of one of these cool
mics, but I can’t figure out how to use them in my work calls without seeming like a total tryhard.

Where is your webcam positioned? Normally you'd just put it off to the side so it doesn't block your view of the monitor, and that way it should naturally be out of view of the camera too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't think the mic needs to be super close to your mouth to pick up your voice. I have a Snowball mic that sits like two feet away from me, and nobody's ever had trouble understanding me.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is the catch on the people who go door to door selling solar panels? I always say “sorry we’re saving for something right now so we can’t afford it at this moment” to which they always reply that not only won’t it cost me a dime, I’ll save money immediately. My bullshit alarm goes off but I’d love to be educated on where the catch is.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

What is the catch on the people who go door to door selling solar panels? I always say “sorry we’re saving for something right now so we can’t afford it at this moment” to which they always reply that not only won’t it cost me a dime, I’ll save money immediately. My bullshit alarm goes off but I’d love to be educated on where the catch is.

Love him or hate him, here's a John Oliver piece that summarizes the scene pretty alright

https://youtu.be/zv8ZPFOxJEc

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LuckyCat posted:

One general rule to keep in mind with this kind of thing: the folks that are really good at their jobs don't need to go hunting for new customers, because they already have more work available than they can physically do. The people going door-to-door are more likely to be the kind that really need work, which to me implies rushed and not particularly-well-done work.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

LuckyCat posted:

There are companies out there that will install solar panels on your house, and then rent them out to you. Which might be cheaper than financing short-term, but it's usually stipulated that if you end up selling power to the grid, that money goes into the installer's pocket, not yours.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’d guess the main scammy bit is that you are spending a lot of money on a home improvement project but not shopping around for the best price. And a lot of times you are being sold based on a monthly cost which we all know is terrible from car sales.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

smackfu posted:

I’d guess the main scammy bit is that you are spending a lot of money on a home improvement project but not shopping around for the best price. And a lot of times you are being sold based on a monthly cost which we all know is terrible from car sales.

The scammy bit is actually that they're making you believe that you're "buying" the system, but typically you're leasing it and have zero ownership of it whatsoever. They sometimes have buyout options, but ultimately they own the equipment, not you.

Also these contracts follow the property, so when you go to sell the house in 10 years you're forcing the buyer in to it, and they're not going to be too terribly happy about it, so it's going to make it a PITA to sell the house.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

LuckyCat posted:

The "won't cost a dime" part is just a kinda-lie that the monthly payment for the panels will be less than the amount of money you'll save by having them.

There are catches just like you suspect though. The first is that the savings are wildly oversold - you will absolutely not save money, period. Also the note is going to be surprisingly long, sometimes to the tune of thirty years. If you want to sell your house during that time there is some fuckery you'd have to deal with that I don't fully understand.

It's not really a scam per se, just a bad deal. Like buying a car off a chainlink lot. Residential solar is a bad investment for the majority of people in the best of circumstances, and that's before middlemen and usurers get involved.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Do kids still say something is "cool"?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yes, sometimes.

It's actually amazing how long "cool" has lasted. Other cool-adjacent words come and go but cool lives on.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I definitely trust a frog with shades to inform me what remains hip and current

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Squibsy posted:

I definitely trust a frog with shades to inform me what remains hip and current

:frogc00l:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's a Roman philosopher/rhetorician that wrote an essay on why one should pursue older women. I cannot for the life of me remember who it was, and I can't seem to get the right Google terms to find that essay. Does anyone know offhand the essay I'm thinking of?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

litany of gulps posted:

There's a Roman philosopher/rhetorician that wrote an essay on why one should pursue older women. I cannot for the life of me remember who it was, and I can't seem to get the right Google terms to find that essay. Does anyone know offhand the essay I'm thinking of?

Wasn't it Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin? Someone like that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was Benjamin Franklin advising a friend to choose an older mistress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_to_a_Friend_on_Choosing_a_Mistress

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

It was Benjamin Franklin advising a friend to choose an older mistress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_to_a_Friend_on_Choosing_a_Mistress

This one feels much shorter and more silly than what I recall. Thank you, I'll have to keep digging.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

litany of gulps posted:

You may be thinking of Ovid's Art of Love? There is a section in it about that: https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/ArtofLoveBkII.php#anchor_Toc521601920

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Cross-posting this, as book forum here has so little traffic:

I wonder if anyone knows a good bookbinding service. The book I want bound is rather old -- early 16th century. It is completely unbound at the moment -- only loose pages. I'd like a binding that fits the book's era. Vellum, if at all possible. Price... well, I'm, willing to spend a bit but price is certainly not no object.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 10, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I don't think the mic needs to be super close to your mouth to pick up your voice. I have a Snowball mic that sits like two feet away from me, and nobody's ever had trouble understanding me.
Yeah, I have a Yeti and I sometimes use it from the other side of the room. It's fine.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

dustin.h posted:

I wonder if anyone knows a good bookbinding service. The book I want bound is rather old -- early 16th century. It is completely unbound at the moment -- only loose pages. I'd like a binding that fits the book's era. Vellum, if at all possible. Price... well, I'm, willing to spend a bit but price is certainly not no object.

The person whose house I'm living in used to do bookbinding professionally. It's possible she'll know what to look out for in finding somewhere good to do this, or if you're in UK maybe she'll even know some companies that will do a good job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

I believe you’re thinking of “Boomin’ Grannies” by The Beastie Boys

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dustin.h posted:

You might call the nearest university that has a rare book collection and ask who they use. Shipping the thing any distance in its unbound state is not the best idea.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What does Italian Birthday cake taste like?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dustin.h posted:

I would try any mom and pop local printing shop. If they can’t do it they might have connections that can.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when and why did "tugging" replace "fapping" in goon vocabulary?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Earwicker posted:

when and why did "tugging" replace "fapping" in goon vocabulary?

Because Tim Robbins is a comedy genius. Watch Detroiters and I Think You Should Leave.

https://youtu.be/VxDozuzfVuY

You may have also noticed that this coincided with the rise in a meme of a man in a hot dog suit saying "we are all looking for the guy who did this" while behind him a hot dog car has crashed through a wall into the building.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Harold Fjord posted:

Because Tim Robbins is a comedy genius. Watch Detroiters and I Think You Should Leave.

https://youtu.be/VxDozuzfVuY

You may have also noticed that this coincided with the rise in a meme of a man in a hot dog suit saying "we are all looking for the guy who did this" while behind him a hot dog car has crashed through a wall into the building.

I was expecting that link to be the tug toner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMs-4fUZd-k

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Do any current world governments have any policy already in place for if we were to meet extraterrestrial life?

This is a real question

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Do any current world governments have any policy already in place for if we were to meet extraterrestrial life?

This is a real question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-detection_policy

Doesn't look like any specific government policies, but there are things like the Brooking's Report which makes recommendations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This is a real question

Make peace with your god.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

AlbieQuirky posted:

You might call the nearest university that has a rare book collection and ask who they use. Shipping the thing any distance in its unbound state is not the best idea.
There aren't a plethora. I've sent emails to the three good schools -- Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin -- and to the state university system (which, frankly, isn't any worse, but it doesn't have the name.)

LuckyCat posted:

I would try any mom and pop local printing shop. If they can’t do it they might have connections that can.
The last one closed a decade ago.

Squibsy posted:

The person whose house I'm living in used to do bookbinding professionally. It's possible she'll know what to look out for in finding somewhere good to do this, or if you're in UK maybe she'll even know some companies that will do a good job.
If all else fails, give me their information. I don't care if they're in Timbuktu.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 11, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are Madagascar's gold/currency reserves largely held in France, like her other old colonial holdings, or not?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Arbite posted:

Are Madagascar's gold/currency reserves largely held in France, like her other old colonial holdings, or not?

I don't know, but I can assure you that the veracity of this detail will not make a difference to your novel's reception

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Where do I go to find out if the Invisible Inc switch port is any good? The Switch thread is busy talking about hacked switches.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any simple way to loop a Netflix fire log thing? On an Apple TV if it matters

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
there are 12 hour fireplace videos on youtube if that helps

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where do I go to find out if the Invisible Inc switch port is any good? The Switch thread is busy talking about hacked switches.

Just post about it in the Switch thread. They go on weird tangents all the time in there. :shrug: Somebody will answer your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Silver Falcon posted:

Just post about it in the Switch thread. They go on weird tangents all the time in there. :shrug: Somebody will answer your question.

I did. Still no answer. Has no one played this port?