Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-maggotkin-of-nurgle-the-goonhammer-review/

TL;DR no more movement shenanigans of any kind any more but even more hard to kill, Gnarlmaw's nerfed into oblivion, GUO bell is worthless now and GUO itself is more expensive but seems a hell of a lot harder to kill along with being a scarier melee fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man the points increases on all of the Nurgle stuff is wild. +85 points for Blightkings is rough even if they do a bit more damage and are more resilient. Feels like overall a typical army is going to be much tougher than they used to be, but also smaller, slower, and with less overall damage output. Doesn't really do them many favors in 3rd Ed. - being hard to shift off of objectives doesn't count for much if you can't get on them before your opponent does and don't have the damage output to immediately take them when you finally get there.

Glottkin at 700 points feels really bad too, even though his warscroll is pretty scary now.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
I just started getting into AoS with a Daemons start collecting box - would the vanguard box still be a great supplement with these new rules? (I'm still getting familiarized).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Capri Sunrise posted:

I just started getting into AoS with a Daemons start collecting box - would the vanguard box still be a great supplement with these new rules? (I'm still getting familiarized).

The Vanguard box is weird because it still seems like there's not really any situation in which you'd want to mix mortal and demon units in the same army - honestly you're probably better off picking up another Start Collecting box and then filling it out with a couple heroes - Poxbringer, Spoilpox Scrivener, and Sloppity Bilepiper all seem like they're going to be auto-includes for a demon army, and you're gonna want more Plaguebearers for sure. The Nurglings seem better now too - really the Plague Drones are the least exciting part of the SC box and even those are still solid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wondering what kind of nutty poo poo you can get up to with Beasts of Nurgle battleline. Or Plague Drone battleline i guess

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Vanguard box is weird because it still seems like there's not really any situation in which you'd want to mix mortal and demon units in the same army - honestly you're probably better off picking up another Start Collecting box and then filling it out with a couple heroes - Poxbringer, Spoilpox Scrivener, and Sloppity Bilepiper all seem like they're going to be auto-includes for a demon army, and you're gonna want more Plaguebearers for sure. The Nurglings seem better now too - really the Plague Drones are the least exciting part of the SC box and even those are still solid.

Remember you can summon Daemons even as Mortal Army. So those Plaguebearers can be used in that context.

Also there is no actual harm in having a bit of mix.

Also from reading, it's mostly going to be improved.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember you can summon Daemons even as Mortal Army. So those Plaguebearers can be used in that context.

Also there is no actual harm in having a bit of mix.

Also from reading, it's mostly going to be improved.

Yeah there's no harm in it, especially if you just like the models. But it sounds like some of the subfactions / battalions / hero choices really promote picking one or the other.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So with the battleforce coming in, and getting some Necropolis stalkers as a gift, I'm gonna have six of these really cool bony bois and I have a question:

6 necropolis Stalkers?
3 necropolis stalkers and 3 immortis guard?
6 immortis guard?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah there's no harm in it, especially if you just like the models. But it sounds like some of the subfactions / battalions / hero choices really promote picking one or the other.

This is true - often a subfaction will bias one way or the other, and it seems like Nurgle's gonna be low unit count because of how expensive everything is. But experimenting with lists can be a lot of fun, and for casual play you're unlikely to need top tier listbuilding power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So with the battleforce coming in, and getting some Necropolis stalkers as a gift, I'm gonna have six of these really cool bony bois and I have a question:

6 necropolis Stalkers?
3 necropolis stalkers and 3 immortis guard?
6 immortis guard?

Stalkers are generally considered better from what I hear. Guard have a very particular niche

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aww, I thought the shields were cool too!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Aww, I thought the shields were cool too!

That could change in the future don’t feel bad about making what you want.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I do feel bad for all the people who modelled their GUO with the bell - I was expecting their movement speed to get nerfed but I wasn't expecting them to lose *every* movement buff, and completely neutering a loadout option on a model that costs $150 feels pretty lovely. Wonder if there's even a way to magnetize the weapon options without leaving really ugly seams.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
After getting absolutely wrecked with my Skaven lately, I finally took a win by focusing on magic and forgetting the least amount of rules as I could. I'm really pleased with how the army is coming together, rat by rat, into a big cohesive horde. So here is Clan Mor-Squeak!

I added a Grey Seer on Foot to go with my Bell, Engineer, and Bombardier. Turns out Warp Lightning is the solution to all sorts of problems. I've learned hard lessons that spending points on Clanrats is not worth it. Keeping them at 20 for all three groups did help. One group even did a single wound to Krondys before his tail attack killed 16 of them.

This is the first game without Yndrasta in a while. She is like a laser guided missile at killing Hell pit Abominations, and she can mess up the Bell really bad too. Naturally without her around, the Hellpit absolutely wrecked. I've been using the Regen mutation and its alright. Anyone had any good luck with them?

I got a gift in a box of Stormfiends. I have three so far kitted out with Ratling Cannons, Windlaunchers, and Shock Gauntlets though I've not used them yet. Would it be worth it to make them a group of 6 with each weapon, or start another group of 3. Two sets of Ratling Cannons does sound neat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nice looking rats.

Sadly don’t know about Stormfiends enough to give advice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I keep seeing awesome Sons of Behemat paintjobs and getting tempted to start another army once I finally finish off my Dominion orruks but then I know they're just going to end up like Knights in 40k where they get 1 year of being good in between like 2-4 years of being complete rear end. Feels like the lack of variety + predictable gameplan makes them really susceptible to even minor nerfs.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Once the General's Handbook shifts to another realm, the power of the Gargants will be diminished. And well, the FAQ will surely bring some changes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All being Monsters is still very helpful to them, though. I don't think they'll ever be dogshit, but they probably will drop from "the army you literally have to plan to be able to beat to win tourneys."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On the topic of starting new armies, I have a buddy that I think I have successfully talked into picking up one of the new Battleforces that are on pre-order now, but he's probably gonna wait until Christmas. Are those something that are limited stock and will be sold out / getting scalped online by then or do they tend to be available for a while?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

They are limited stock, but availability will vary depending on the battleforce in question. I've seen some sold out in like a month, while others you could still but 3 years later.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

On the topic of starting new armies, I have a buddy that I think I have successfully talked into picking up one of the new Battleforces that are on pre-order now, but he's probably gonna wait until Christmas. Are those something that are limited stock and will be sold out / getting scalped online by then or do they tend to be available for a while?

They are limited stock, but I saw some stray 2020 AoS boxes at my LGSs throughout spring and summer at least. It depends quite a lot on the popularity of the army and size of the discount I think.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It probably helps that these boxes may be in stock longer since they are just a box of other sprues and instructions sold at a discount, rather a new custom box and custom sprues

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Last year's went pretty quick IIRC if for no other reason than re-sellers saw the value in taking them and jacking up the price, or selling sprues and bits by themselves.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It probably helps that these boxes may be in stock longer since they are just a box of other sprues and instructions sold at a discount, rather a new custom box and custom sprues

Pretty sure that's what the Battleforces are every year.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Crazy Ferret posted:

After getting absolutely wrecked with my Skaven lately, I finally took a win by focusing on magic and forgetting the least amount of rules as I could. I'm really pleased with how the army is coming together, rat by rat, into a big cohesive horde. So here is Clan Mor-Squeak!

I added a Grey Seer on Foot to go with my Bell, Engineer, and Bombardier. Turns out Warp Lightning is the solution to all sorts of problems. I've learned hard lessons that spending points on Clanrats is not worth it. Keeping them at 20 for all three groups did help. One group even did a single wound to Krondys before his tail attack killed 16 of them.

This is the first game without Yndrasta in a while. She is like a laser guided missile at killing Hell pit Abominations, and she can mess up the Bell really bad too. Naturally without her around, the Hellpit absolutely wrecked. I've been using the Regen mutation and its alright. Anyone had any good luck with them?

I got a gift in a box of Stormfiends. I have three so far kitted out with Ratling Cannons, Windlaunchers, and Shock Gauntlets though I've not used them yet. Would it be worth it to make them a group of 6 with each weapon, or start another group of 3. Two sets of Ratling Cannons does sound neat.

Your rats are beautiful bud.

I have a friend who wins quite a bit here locally with his Skryre list, lots of warp lightning cannons and storm friends. So much mortal wound output, it's disgusting. If you're keen on some wins, I could dig up his list if you like?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The hard part of playing Skryre is figuring out where you're going to source models that can be Acolytes, because you're not going to be buying the Acolytes from GW if you value your wallet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It is actually pretty easy now because 3d printing sculptors can smell badly aged and expensive GW models from a mile away.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Huh, I haven't seen any. But my main searches lately have been for stuff that'd look good as Magmadroths.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Pugna miniatures have a wide variety of Not Skaven which are pretty good quality.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The punga minis are great, but they also ain't cheap

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

"Looks great and is not cheap" is significantly better than "looks like poo and is not cheap".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love the design of these models

I will say they were very time consuming to actually assemble though

Yeah I see the mold lines, I'll clean it up later, I'm impressed how tired putting these together made me :baduk:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 15, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mors Rattus posted:

Huh, I haven't seen any. But my main searches lately have been for stuff that'd look good as Magmadroths.

Not sure what a magmadroth is but check out Ravenous Hordes on mmf. Their battle alchemists should do.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

What about this https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-mankutter-fleshripper-rider-182655? I assume you want a huge lizard with rider option?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not sure what a magmadroth is but check out Ravenous Hordes on mmf. Their battle alchemists should do.

the fyreslayer lizards

e: kinda baffled that they haven’t given fyreslayers more fire critters. Would break up the monotony of naked guys with mohawks

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 15, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I see the mold lines, I'll clean it up later, I'm impressed how tired putting these together made me :baduk:

Whenever I see these I'm like I want them to just do a contrast army and have it come out looking great.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm so torn on these because I love the guy with two giant blades but the four-blade dudes look goofy as hell

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

What about this https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-mankutter-fleshripper-rider-182655? I assume you want a huge lizard with rider option?

Oh, that looks neat. My girlfriend and I have been looking at various big lizards that we could put a dwarf on top of, since Artisan’s Guild took care of giving us dwarves. We had settled on a tarrasque model, some wingless dragons she had found and a model of a Magnamalo from Monster Hunter, which all hung together fairly well as a unified force because they all have spiky scales sticking out.

Yes, I have designed a Lofnir list around having four Magmadroths.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I only recently got into 3d printing, but it actually did make me go back to the idea of doing a FEC army (I'm working on it right now). I also did print some knock-off stormcast (from heroes-infinite) but I find them fairly average and imho not up to the sce 3.0 standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

peer posted:

I'm so torn on these because I love the guy with two giant blades but the four-blade dudes look goofy as hell

Build them however you want, it's not like you'll ever actually field them.