Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Doomtalker posted:

It's not that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

it's crazy how the courthouse is half toppled but none of the windows are broken

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Asproigerosis posted:

The most powerful tornado ever recorded that also lasted on the ground for possibly the longest amount of time ever, in loving december, outside of tornado alley. No big deal.

"tornado alley" is a fake idea

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"tornado alley" does get more tornadoes but they are mostly weak and go through the middle of nowhere. they happen to be a whole hell of a lot more photogenic so that's probably part of the fame.

the highest level of damage has always been east of the Mississippi and west of the Appalachians, and there's less of a definite season to strong tornadoes in that area. the tornadoes there also tend to be really loving nasty: long tracks, wrapped up in rain, and coming in the middle of the night.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my brain is imagining a situation where this tornado flung a piece of rebar high enough to hit the engine of a 737 flying over the area

hahahahah lmao

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got woken up at 3am here in south east Nashville by a phone weather alert and me, the wife and kids huddled in the bathtub for an hour. tons of heavy rain, lightning, wind. sounded like a freight train coming through. luckily the power stayed on and we’re all safe. scary stuff.

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Spergin Morlock posted:

it's crazy how the courthouse is half toppled but none of the windows are broken

They should have built that courthouse entirely out of the windows.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Death By The Blues posted:

seeing the footage/photos out of Bowling Green and this may have been the massacre Conway was talking about.

Kelly Anne Conway has become unstuck in time

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

so this thing just came out of nowhere? thats wild, just like that and you and your building get demolished

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kelly Anne Conway has become unstuck in time

A bitch in time, drinks wine

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mistermojo posted:

so this thing just came out of nowhere? thats wild, just like that and you and your building get demolished

Hurricane Michael went from non-existent to cat 5 in like 48 hours or so lol

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

Demon Of The Fall posted:

sounded like a freight train coming through.

that is what a tornado sounds like

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Koirhor posted:

my brain is imagining a situation where this tornado flung a piece of rebar high enough to hit the engine of a 737 flying over the area

hahahahah lmao

Working this into my Twister reboot script

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Looks like pretty classic EF-5 damage. Imagine we'll get confirmation of the category soon if we haven't already.

https://twitter.com/ChrisJacksonSC/status/1469686330972123139?t=D9tfpAFo7SWGFwugG4_lwg&s=19

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:stare:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mayfield
More than a memory

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Helicopter shots coming out of Mayfield KY

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Reminds me of photos of Hiroshima. I hope most people were able to get into their basements before it hit.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Pooky posted:

Came to see if anyone posted about the wind in Seattle but I see we've been slightly outclassed.

Yeah there's some hecka gusts going on and a neighbor's windchime is having a panic attack but also there's no debris thirty thousand feet up so I think we'll ride shotgun on this one

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I live in Oklahoma and we barely even had a tornado season here this year, I took cover once when I used to get jolted out of bed by sirens a good 5-6 times every summer.

It's like they took the entire season and displaced it several hundred miles east and several months later.

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

https://twitter.com/ASchueth/status/1469671428920426504

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

that’s some fallout poo poo

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lol. It's just going to get worse. Don't worry. Climate change isn't real though lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Omnicarus posted:

It's really incredible how an EF-5 tornado makes a Cat 5 hurricane look like a joke in comparison

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really incredible how an EF-5 tornado makes a Cat 5 hurricane look like a joke in comparison

a cat 5 hurricane is like a 30 mile wide EF-3 so it makes up for pure wind speed with volume.

also flooding

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

shirts and skins posted:

Looks like pretty classic EF-5 damage. Imagine we'll get confirmation of the category soon if we haven't already.

https://twitter.com/ChrisJacksonSC/status/1469686330972123139?t=D9tfpAFo7SWGFwugG4_lwg&s=19

they should make the whole home out of that

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

https://youtu.be/vEbUhcX4ATs

this is awful. some of the worst damage I've ever seen

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There was a tornado in Woodridge, IL back in June. The condo buildings we used to live in suffered damage that hasn't been completely repaired yet. Residents just received notice that they need to vacate by December 17th as the water main will be shut off for repairs. Work is expected to be completed "spring 2022."

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I expect years at minimum for that town to recover, if ever. Besides the death toll, there's almost certainly going to be people who relocate elsewhere for housing. Town population was only 10k so that could be substantial population loss.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Vernii posted:

I expect years at minimum for that town to recover, if ever. Besides the death toll, there's almost certainly going to be people who relocate elsewhere for housing. Town population was only 10k so that could be substantial population loss.

We don't really do "recovery" any more, what happens is everyone gets screwed by their insurance company or bogged down in bureacratic tests for aid and the survivors will all be homeless years later.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It''ll all be blamed on the democrats. Who, to be fair, did require the means testing

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've driven through Greensburg, KS recently. It's still obvious years later the lasting damage of a town being scraped away.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

It''ll all be blamed on the democrats. Who, to be fair, did require the means testing

The Biden Administration will provide low interest loans to all business impacted by EF4 or higher tomado damage located in lower 20th percentile income zip codes who filed non zero taxes in the last eight quarters and import 30% of their raw goods from developing nations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

The Biden Administration will provide low interest loans to all business impacted by EF4 or higher tomado damage located in lower 20th percentile income zip codes who filed non zero taxes in the last eight quarters and import 30% of their raw goods from developing nations.

Im proud of you for fully understanding CSPAM posting now. <3

Also holy gently caress. Grew up in TN so spent most of the night watching the warnings come and go and worrying about people. Absolutely at a loss for this whole loving monster happening at all let alone in loving DECEMBER.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Chamale posted:

Reminds me of photos of Hiroshima. I hope most people were able to get into their basements before it hit.

I don't think the basement was going to help in Hiroshima OP

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
December is the new November.

Wasn't it incredibly warm ahead of the cold front? I'm fact it was, Memphis hit 80F yesterday, which was a daily record. Would take a lot of wind energy to pump all that warm air into the region.

Enjoy your new tornado season, which is all year. Not really a season I guess.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

SirPablo posted:

December is the new November.

Wasn't it incredibly warm ahead of the cold front? I'm fact it was, Memphis hit 80F yesterday, which was a daily record. Would take a lot of wind energy to pump all that warm air into the region.

Enjoy your new tornado season, which is all year. Not really a season I guess.

I hope it creates a solid wall of tornado and we can finally start living in our fantasy sci-fi universe

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
loving and sucking?

No.

Blowing and sowing.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

I hope it creates a solid wall of tornado and we can finally start living in our fantasy sci-fi universe

Category 7 killstorms are endemic now, you're just going to have to learn to live them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Crazypoops posted:

Et in Jupiter Ego