Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

My R also occasionally goes low coolant. Apparently it's just a thing. I bought a bottle of pentosin that should last me forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

JamesOff posted:

Can I get the person who did this exorcised? Or eviscerated maybe?

\
God dammit I hate the shitheads that do this. That sucks. Sorry. My R32 has dents in the hood and driver's side fender from some dumbfuck jumping from car to car in a parking lot.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

got off on a technicality posted:

So the low coolant warning came on in my 2021 TT RS (now with 9,000 miles). I took a look at the reservoir and it was about an inch below the min level, topped it up with tap water, and it seems to be fine now. Haven't tracked the car recently or otherwise driven it particularly hard. Do you all think this is something to try and get diagnosed (& fix) or would you just leave it?

My TDI SportWagen does this about every so many miles. I recall others having this issue too. I believe it is “normal”.

I highly recommend you buy a jug of G13. It isn’t expensive and is the recommended coolant.

There likely isn’t a true leak, but something tells me a mechanic will conveniently find it.

Topping it off is significantly cheaper.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

My TDI SportWagen does this about every so many miles. I recall others having this issue too. I believe it is “normal”.

I highly recommend you buy a jug of G13. It isn’t expensive and is the recommended coolant.

There likely isn’t a true leak, but something tells me a mechanic will conveniently find it.

Topping it off is significantly cheaper.

The Audi’s probably under warranty and just about due for an oil change. Even if all the dealership did was top it off themselves, I’d really rather they decide that’s the proper course. Maybe get a bottle of G13 while they’re waiting.

I wonder if the troubles people seem to have are related to their water pump issues. Like it’s a precursor.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My 08 GTI had the same problem, they weren’t able to find anything and said it was a bubble or something that dislodged itself. Next oil change they found the leak cause of the corrosion on a line or something. But a bottle of diluted pink juice won’t hurt.

My GTI also drank oil like no other, kept a bottle of oil in the trunk too.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I will get myself a bottle of pink juice for next time. Thanks everyone

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Your vehicle running without someone in it is illegal in Germany so none of the German built ones will have it from the factory. That isn't to say that it's not supported and the dealer might add it for you.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

JamesOff posted:

Corrado update: bodyshop doesn't think the roof is a problem; likely to need a new bonnet (which shouldn't be too much), so looking promising.

Here's a couple of pics from the work they did on it last year as promised, it was definitely comprehensive. They kept finding random patches of lovely repairs I had no idea where there from before I owned it heh

Thanks for the good thoughts folks :)

I am still seething and wish you the best.

The perps will get their comeuppance one way or another.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have owned a C5 A6 for 17 years, it did not lose coolant. Owned a D2 S8 for over 3 years and it doesn't lose coolant either. There is a leak somewhere if it leaks, and all leaks can be fixed even in VAG products. My S8 doesn't eat oil either after changing all the engine seals...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Please if you can and want to have a mechanic look at it, do so. My advice was more geared towards not putting water in your coolant tank and instead getting G13. I would have spare oil and coolant that goes with my car on hand as general advice.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes of course please use correct VAG coolant always unless in an desperate situation. You don't want rust or any debris in your coolant system forming. I think I've flushed the coolant every 2 years too to keep it fresh. Of course I live in Finland and using water here is a bad idea anyways, it was sub -20C last week. Don't want that coolant to freeze in the system.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Yeah I keep some mixed coolant in the back of my GTI under the hatch bed with the spare. Every so often I get that burnt maple syrup smell, but the coolant level never seems to go down. :shrug:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Styles Bitchley posted:

Yeah I keep some mixed coolant in the back of my GTI under the hatch bed with the spare. Every so often I get that burnt maple syrup smell, but the coolant level never seems to go down. :shrug:

My GTI often has steam coming from the front of the bonnet when I park up on cold days, it smells exactly like coolant and yet VW have checked it three times and couldn’t find a leak, and it loses no fluid at all. It’s very odd.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Volkswagen fellas, looking at Execline Atlas or Cross Sport, is the 2.0T decent? Should we go for the VR6? Also is the Atlas even decent? I stopped working at VW the year before they came out so don't have the inside scoop on that stuff anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DoesNotCompute posted:

Also is the Atlas even decent?

It’s certainly no Touareg

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s certainly no Touareg

Honestly not sure if this is an endorsement or a dig, I loved driving them (the last gen) when I worked there, but I also didn’t have to pay to keep one on the road. Can go to other way.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I an upset about Toanos because it is literally a Wagen just with bigger wheels and lifted slightly.

(All crossovers are just hatchbacks that are lifted to look bigger and I am bitter about the US trend for needlessly bigger cars).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DoesNotCompute posted:

Honestly not sure if this is an endorsement or a dig, I loved driving them (the last gen) when I worked there, but I also didn’t have to pay to keep one on the road. Can go to other way.

Yes

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

I an upset about Toanos because it is literally a Wagen just with bigger wheels and lifted slightly.

(All crossovers are just hatchbacks that are lifted to look bigger and I am bitter about the US trend for needlessly bigger cars).

If I trade my GTI for a turbo CX-5 and get a lowering kit can I still hang out in the hot hatch thread

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

If I trade my GTI for a turbo CX-5 and get a lowering kit can I still hang out in the hot hatch thread

See!!!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
My 2019 S4 wreck that I posted a couple weeks ago is now officially a total loss. Turns out market value for the car before the wreck was significantly more than I paid for it, and a similar replacement with many more miles would be about what I paid brand new. lovely.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Sorry about that total loss.

Two lovely issues in as many pages.

Yeah my 2015 Wagen is now more expensive than when I bought it in 2019.

If you asked me, or anyone ever, if you could have positive equity on a modern mass produced vehicle you would have been laughed at by everyone ever.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

If you asked me, or anyone ever, if you could have positive equity on a modern mass produced vehicle you would have been laughed at by everyone ever.

Hell I bought my '17 A4 back in March and it's already worth more than I owe on it, feels weird to not be upside down on a car for the first 2 years paying for it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

JamesOff posted:

Corrado update: bodyshop doesn't think the roof is a problem; likely to need a new bonnet (which shouldn't be too much), so looking promising.

Here's a couple of pics from the work they did on it last year as promised, it was definitely comprehensive. They kept finding random patches of lovely repairs I had no idea where there from before I owned it heh

Thanks for the good thoughts folks :)

Thoughts and prayers it can get back to what it was. Corrados need saving they are maybe the best body VW ever produced.
Have you checked if your insurance covers uninsured damages? I had to use it with my old 92 golf to get it fixed after a hit and run when it was parked in front of my house.

I didn't pay a dime to get it taken care of and my rates never went up afterwards. It might not qualify since it wasn't done by another automobile but doesn't hurt to check.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

dialhforhero posted:

Sorry about that total loss.

Two lovely issues in as many pages.

Yeah my 2015 Wagen is now more expensive than when I bought it in 2019.

people still routinely lose their lunches in the collectible car world but here are millions of people driving around in Toyotas and Hondas that are a net positive asset lmao

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Hey got a question about my 2012 jetta's key remote. I'm almost certain someone's copied my remote key and has been using it let themselves into my car. Afaik i always lock it and it locks automatically when no one's in it. But about 3 times in the past year or so someone's gotten in.

Can i change my car's lock code or pin myself and then re-program my keys thru the odb2 port with vcds or another tool? Or does the dealer need to do this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my 19 alltrack is up to 108% of its new OTD purchase price as trade in value

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
So my atlas is due for it's second oil change. The car has a 75k warranty and only 13k (thanks covid). I have a jb1 installed which I removed for the first oil change done by the dealer. But it's a real pita to remove and put back on. Can't decide whether to yank it again and have the dealer do the service or just change the oil myself. I really don't want to risk a warranty challenge down the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Withnail posted:

So my atlas is due for it's second oil change. The car has a 75k warranty and only 13k (thanks covid). I have a jb1 installed which I removed for the first oil change done by the dealer. But it's a real pita to remove and put back on. Can't decide whether to yank it again and have the dealer do the service or just change the oil myself. I really don't want to risk a warranty challenge down the road.

Just take it someone else and keep the record of the change?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Last week we sold my wife’s 2019 Golf 1.5TSI EVO to a dealer (cazoo) after 2 years and 12000 miles for £1000 more than we paid for it. She’s got a new job with a car so it was either that or my 2016 GTI that had to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if it were a reflash rather than a backpack i would just tell you to keep it as they aren't going to hook you up to diagnostics for a oil change

but since it is a backpack i'd probably not take it to a dealer.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I've never trusted the jiffy lube type places, but there is a vw specialty shop not too far away. I suppose that's the easiest option.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Do the high values matter much when everything else you'd be looking to buy is also up?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
New cars aren’t moving as much. The parity between new/used is disproportionate and now is probably a better time to buy new if you can. Especially if you can cash out positive on your current car.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

New cars aren’t moving as much. The parity between new/used is disproportionate and now is probably a better time to buy new if you can. Especially if you can cash out positive on your current car.

Exactly this, also since used values are wacky as hell, the residual values for leases are also fairly high, so if you're a lease person with equity in an overvalued trade this is a very good time to be alive.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my 19 alltrack is up to 108% of its new OTD purchase price as trade in value

Don’t you dare think about it!!!

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Thumposaurus posted:

Thoughts and prayers it can get back to what it was. Corrados need saving they are maybe the best body VW ever produced.
Have you checked if your insurance covers uninsured damages? I had to use it with my old 92 golf to get it fixed after a hit and run when it was parked in front of my house.

I didn't pay a dime to get it taken care of and my rates never went up afterwards. It might not qualify since it wasn't done by another automobile but doesn't hurt to check.

Insurance didn’t seem bothered when I told them what had happened, just asked for a quote from a garage. Got the quote today, £3.2k. Don’t jump on other people’s cars (or your own, I guess); it’s really expensive!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have a 2013 Tiguan that upon start had a flashing check engine light and then it went away. It didn't seem to stutter or have any issues and it didn't come back on when I drove it. Is there something wrong?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am assuming it hasn’t happened until recently? Because lots of cars do that or similar when the engine cranks initially and the oil pressure and other things aren’t up to normal operation in those 2 seconds.

Outside of taking it to a shop or Autozone to see if there are codes, you could just double check fluid levels, if you can.

Is it up for any scheduled maintenance?

I would be concerned if it never went away of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boner Wad posted:

I have a 2013 Tiguan that upon start had a flashing check engine light and then it went away. It didn't seem to stutter or have any issues and it didn't come back on when I drove it. Is there something wrong?

Flashing CEL is usually indicative of a misfire. Very odd to have it happen at start up and you not feel it. Keep an eye on it, if there's a problem I'm sure it'll get worse.