Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I use a signed language daily and after long days signing I'll forgot English words and attempt to use onomatopoeia to describe shape and function

"Where's the flimerty flap?"
"Huh"
"DW got it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

CainFortea posted:

Eh. People forget words for things all the time. poo poo just today I had to ask my office mate for a "spring but wound wrong" because for some reason I blanked on paperclip.

Did the same thing last night trying to think of the word obituary. I was going "you know, the epilogue someone gets in the paper"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I wondered what weird rear end donuts Japan had for the longest time after watching Pokémon as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RentKWlhUXc

This was an April fool's joke

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminded me of a post I saw somewhere of a guy & his wife who were cooking in the kitchen & he asked for the "meat tweezers" (tongs) :lol:

Friend of mine wrote her shopping list down and then went to the store. When she got to "sugar", she couldn't read it right, and wondered what "soogare" was.

It was perfectly legible, as sugar. But her brain kept giving her "soogare"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jestery posted:

"Huh"
"DW got it"

Ah, the wangjangler

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Escobarbarian posted:

Sean Connery retired after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I don’t think anyone could blame him for. Cameron Diaz retired after Annie but no-one noticed because she was never very talented

He um...he actually came out of retirement for one more movie in 2012.

https://youtu.be/a20oRLJ4v4s

:negative:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jestery posted:

I use a signed language daily and after long days signing I'll forgot English words and attempt to use onomatopoeia to describe shape and function

"Huh"
"DW got it"

When I'm doing physical labor I forget all the proper words for everything. I'll call a pallet-jack a push push, a forklift, the forky thing. A box cutter is a cut-cut. Everything else is called a fuckit. "Can you hand me a 9/16ths fuckit?"

It's a weird habit as I am normally quite loquacious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Vandar posted:

He um...he actually came out of retirement for one more movie in 2012.

https://youtu.be/a20oRLJ4v4s

:negative:

He deserved that to be his last role, imho.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Taeke posted:

They're saying that often in translations when the original is an estimate the translation will be a conversion of that estimate but be too exact.

Like how 200 miles is roughly 320 kilometres. The original would say it's about 200 miles and the translation would say it's about 320 kilometres even though translating it as about 300 kilometres would be more natural.

I think.

Ooh okay thank you

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The best joke Babish will always be the cake he made in the third week of April one year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfn-LC254Hk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a fun little moment in "The Truman Show" that can be read one of two ways, both of which fit this thread.

Ed Harris's director/producer character Christoff re-introduced Truman's "dad" to the show in an effort to get Truman to stop trying to leave/break out/find out what is going on.

An interviewing is talking with him about this, and asks how they'll explain where his dad was for 20+ years, and Christoff answers "Amnesia" and the interviewer responds (paraphrasing),
"Oh, brilliant."

The first way to interpret this is that the interviewing is just slobberin' the ol' Christoff knob. He is constantly referred to as a genius, amazing artist, etc... so even if he comes up wit some hackneyed, daytime TV-esque reason like "Amnesia" everyone acts like he's the first person to think of that.

Or, the more subtle way to read that, is that there IS no more regular daytime-TV/soap operas. The Truman Show is the #1 show in the world, but it airs (essentially) 24 hours a day, and some of the "prime" material would be mid-day, presumably. So there's a good chance, since it's been airing since the late 60's, that regular soap operas just don't exist anymore, and a lot of the "wackier" plots they had (which tended to include things like amnesia) never wormed their way into the psyche as such a cliche, so in a way, Christoff really IS a genius to think of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of funny how the opening to The Grand Budapest Hotel just straight up shows you the conclusion to the story right away. Not just from the fact that Zero obviously comes out of the story extremely rich but with how "Boy with Apple" is just hanging in the concierge office.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's a fun little moment in "The Truman Show" that can be read one of two ways, both of which fit this thread.

Ed Harris's director/producer character Christoff re-introduced Truman's "dad" to the show in an effort to get Truman to stop trying to leave/break out/find out what is going on.

An interviewing is talking with him about this, and asks how they'll explain where his dad was for 20+ years, and Christoff answers "Amnesia" and the interviewer responds (paraphrasing),
"Oh, brilliant."

The first way to interpret this is that the interviewing is just slobberin' the ol' Christoff knob. He is constantly referred to as a genius, amazing artist, etc... so even if he comes up wit some hackneyed, daytime TV-esque reason like "Amnesia" everyone acts like he's the first person to think of that.

Or, the more subtle way to read that, is that there IS no more regular daytime-TV/soap operas. The Truman Show is the #1 show in the world, but it airs (essentially) 24 hours a day, and some of the "prime" material would be mid-day, presumably. So there's a good chance, since it's been airing since the late 60's, that regular soap operas just don't exist anymore, and a lot of the "wackier" plots they had (which tended to include things like amnesia) never wormed their way into the psyche as such a cliche, so in a way, Christoff really IS a genius to think of it.

It’s one of my favorite alt realities

I like the implication that the news regularly reports on the Truman show

Like all media is centered around this one television show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Possibly subtle TV moment: the Futurama episode where the crew have their ageing process reversed has Leela take advantage to give her childhood a do-over now she actually knows her parents, and find they aren't strict enough for her liking. (Unclear whether they're indulgent because they're just happy to have her, or they aren't bothering to show authority because they know she's mentally a functional adult)

That said, either way 'No beer until you finish your tequila!' is hilarious in context, but actually makes sense- the old adage goes: 'Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear!'

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Subtle bit in the Wheel of Time show. In one of the nightmares Perrin has, there's a very obvious moment when the man with fire for eyes shows up right in front of him and is gone again just a few frames later. It's very obvious.

What I *didn't* catch until I saw it for the 3rd time, is that the man with fire for eyes is creeping on Perrin in the window before then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about Bane in The Dark Knight Rises makes sense when you realise he's literally almost always high on a constant stream of aerosolised painkillers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Here's a fun little Christmas detail. During the Jim Carey iteration of The Grinch, the Whos are shown having a wild Christmas party during the origin reveal scene. Notably there is a quick cut showing a large amount of keys being deposited in a bowl...

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Incel resentment is canon now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Grinch was actually invited but he deemed the whoettes all "4s" and "stacys" and unable to comprehend his high IQ

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Grinch was rightfully ostracized from the neighborhood after his last heated gamer moment.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inzombiac posted:

The Grinch was rightfully ostracized from the neighborhood after his last heated gamer moment.

Does that involve the gamer word?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

Does that involve the gamer word?

I don't see how it couldn't.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Grinch was actually invited but he deemed the whoettes all "4s" and "stacys" and unable to comprehend his high IQ

So he was just prepping to be Robotnik?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched the Hugh Jackman movie Reminiscence and thought it was quite interesting, a film noir style story set in a mid-apocalyptic setting with Nolan-style future tech but that's used less obnoxiously.

The whole idea is that Hugh runs a company that lets people relive chosen memories, and they monitor them via a large 3d hologram display showing what they are seeing. The world is a Miami that's partially been eaten by the ocean due to global warming loving the tides, causing a much bigger class divide than usual, and the US has become basically nocturnal because the daytime is just too hot to be out in comfortably so all work is done at night.

Something I like is that instead of focusing on the cool future tech and overcomplicating it, they keep it simple and go backwards, with other dives into memories throughout the movie being done with older or more primitive techniques, and it has a neat mystery surrounding the femme fatale "Dame that walks into his office late at night and stirs poo poo up" as he pieces her story together from varying memories from varying people after she disappears.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Reminiscence feels like a Nolan flick because it was made by the same people that did the TV show Westworld (Lisa Joy and Christopher Nolan's brother Jonathan).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Android Apocalypse posted:

Reminiscence feels like a Nolan flick because it was made by the same people that did the TV show Westworld (Lisa Joy and Christopher Nolan's brother Jonathan).

Westworld S1 is a flawless masterpiece, S2 is incredibly bland with one standout episode, and S3 is beneath contempt. Where on this scale is Reminiscence?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Torquemada posted:

Westworld S1 is a flawless masterpiece, S2 is incredibly bland with one standout episode, and S3 is beneath contempt. Where on this scale is Reminiscence?

Well in my opinion I liked the world building around the environmental stuff, the technology was easy to understand and had room for interesting moments of "noticing things that the person actually there didn't" and there was interesting stuff with other methods of reliving the past like the rich woman who had trouble letting go of her dead husband so built a whole stage in her mansion and hired actors to pretend to be him so that she could act out her happiest memory with him.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

Some interesting ideas, a few pretty good performances, and nice visuals, but lacking something to push it to the next level. So season 2 on that scale, I guess.

I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching it, but it didn't stick with me.

Edit: Oh! There is also the underutilization of Thandiwe Newton, so definitely season 2.

deoju has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Dec 12, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

You're probably referring to the Ghost Nation episode, but I like the one with the Delos copies too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

christmas boots posted:

You're probably referring to the Ghost Nation episode, but I like the one with the Delos copies too.

I also liked that one, but if you removed the Ghost Nation episode it wouldn’t save the series for me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

christmas boots posted:

Which one was the Delos copy one?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Memento posted:

Which one was the Delos copy one?

I don't remember the name of it, but isn't it when it delves into how they're developing various James Delos AI copies, and they freak out when they learn what they are?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't remember the name of it, but isn't it when it delves into how they're developing various James Delos AI copies, and they freak out when they learn what they are?

Oh yeah I thought it was a reference to the company. And yes, that episode loving whips. I think it's the only one I rewatched.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

I also liked that one, but if you removed the Ghost Nation episode it wouldn’t save the series for me.

Fair, that one was just a solid piece the whole way through

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first shogunworld episode is pretty decent too. Otherwise it’s a very annoying season

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

They're pretty cool with what they are. What they aren't is that the project is failing and has been for a long time. Every model is tested with the same scenario and every one gets torched.

Later on Bernard runs through the wrecked up abandoned mess but my memories of this are vague so I could have all of this wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They're pretty cool with what they are. What they aren't is that the project is failing and has been for a long time. Every model is tested with the same scenario and every one gets torched.

Later on Bernard runs through the wrecked up abandoned mess but my memories of this are vague so I could have all of this wrong.

Yeah, he does, and there's one that's been there, alone, for decades I think, and he's understandably livid and insane.

The entire plot is kind of nuts to really think about.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah, he does, and there's one that's been there, alone, for decades I think, and he's understandably livid and insane.

The entire plot is kind of nuts to really think about.

yeah he's gone full Sam Neill in Event Horizon by that point

you never go full Sam Neill in Event Horizon

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Should I watch season 1 of Westworld or heist read a synopsis of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Season 1 is pretty good! Watch it with subtitles, because everyone mumbles.