Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ham Cheeks posted:

Zeynep is a sociologist lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

How many die from the flu each year

everyone

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Looks like they are working hard to set up those mild symptom treatment centers

I like to be hospitalized just like I enjoy my brunch, al fresco

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Nodelphi posted:

It doesn’t help that ER jobs were cut nation wide, everyone saw ER volumes drop off when people were told not to go to the ER and admins looked at that and said hey we must be overstaffed, lets make some cuts. Then they give that surprised Pikachu face when a wave hits and there’s no capacity to increase staffing… then they forget when the next trough comes.

Hopefully one day they will figure out that an ER should be staffed for all the disasters that could happen, not for all the disasters that do happen. Until then they’ll keep hiring consultants touting Lean and just in time inventory.

Unfortunately I’m stuck in the job I have because cuts were made nationally, there aren’t many jobs out there and there are a lot of ER docs who were laid off after the first covid wave. Plus there is a sense of community and while some of my patients may be dumb anti-maskers, they’re my dumb anti-maskers and I’ll do what I can to save them.

Just In Time medical staffing, as the lord intended.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ham Cheeks posted:

:( I'm a sociologist and I am not nearly as dumb as zeynep, any sociologist worth their salt would just say "due to human nature, lol, lmao, get your affairs in order." Trying to outrun germs with tech less than 100 years old is folly, it's all brute force lol.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1469719139656871940?t=rAF_jKVk61wGF_RJtG_KzQ&s=19

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

genericnick posted:

Mild ER tents

A couple hospitals put these in their ER parking bays which is a pain in the rear end because now not only are more ambulances going to the bay, but there's half as much parking. Real genius poo poo. Hate these.

salient posted:

solidarity from the prehospital covid mines

Solidarity.

I do critical care and recently got to take a dude with 3 chest tubes on a vent to a vent farm for "rehab." We had to strap portable suction units to his legs to run the three tubes. He'd been in the ICU for like 70 days so the hospital did the thing where everyone clapped and made a big to do but like mf is going to a vent farm it's not like he's better.

Poor guy was still online though, trying to talk over the trach but with a lot of anxiety at baseline even so I had to snow his rear end during transport because he was hyperventilating over the vent.

Thanks covid for all these uh neat clinical opportunities for learning and growth.

My ER nurse best friend is making twice what I am as a medic and it's making an RN bridge program very enticing.

A bunch of the local hospitals have started hiring LPNs for their floors and lmao it's super surreal getting a report from an LPN who tells you the patient is in atrial flutter wave I'm like looking at the monitor going "okay that's actually a 3rd degree, and she isn't ACLS... What else is a lie?"

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Nodelphi posted:

Unfortunately I’m stuck in the job I have because cuts were made nationally, there aren’t many jobs out there and there are a lot of ER docs who were laid off after the first covid wave. Plus there is a sense of community and while some of my patients may be dumb anti-maskers, they’re my dumb anti-maskers and I’ll do what I can to save them.

Does your licensure let you bump down and work as a nurse?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Strep Vote posted:

:( I'm a sociologist and I am not nearly as dumb as zeynep, any sociologist worth their salt would just say "due to human nature, lol, lmao, get your affairs in order." Trying to outrun germs with tech less than 100 years old is folly, it's all brute force lol.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
big, if true

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1469717380486025222

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

A couple hospitals put these in their ER parking bays which is a pain in the rear end because now not only are more ambulances going to the bay, but there's half as much parking. Real genius poo poo. Hate these.

Solidarity.

I do critical care and recently got to take a dude with 3 chest tubes on a vent to a vent farm for "rehab." We had to strap portable suction units to his legs to run the three tubes. He'd been in the ICU for like 70 days so the hospital did the thing where everyone clapped and made a big to do but like mf is going to a vent farm it's not like he's better.

Poor guy was still online though, trying to talk over the trach but with a lot of anxiety at baseline even so I had to snow his rear end during transport because he was hyperventilating over the vent.

Thanks covid for all these uh neat clinical opportunities for learning and growth.

My ER nurse best friend is making twice what I am as a medic and it's making an RN bridge program very enticing.

A bunch of the local hospitals have started hiring LPNs for their floors and lmao it's super surreal getting a report from an LPN who tells you the patient is in atrial flutter wave I'm like looking at the monitor going "okay that's actually a 3rd degree, and she isn't ACLS... What else is a lie?"

gently caress dude if you can handle that poo poo definitely do the RN and get paid. You deserve it. No loving way i could do what you do.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
mask question: my tiny azn gf is flying cross-country tomorrow and we are trying to figure out the best mask for her. i bought her a 7501 (the small elastomeric; i wear a 7502) and it is okay but won't fully pass an aggressive negative pressure test because it leaks a bit around the bridge of her small nose. we're going to try a 9205 once i pick some up later today but i've heard from some korean friends they don't always fit well either. airpops do seem to fit her face very well, don't fog her glasses, and have passed all the testing at the university lab, but they have earloops and we'd like to mask up as much as possible.

can anyone recommend any good masks for this use case? i guess it's not unique to her — only 60% of women of asian descent pass a fit test on common N95s? https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/many-n95-respirators-do-not-properly-fit-women-or

(also has anyone run into issues flying with an elastomeric?)

mastershakeman posted:

on the plus side, hooray for universities sticking to their routine testing so stuff like this can show up in america

it's true. i think my university has been a little overconfident recently, but also it has never lifted its indoor mask mandate and has had 2x a week mandatory PCR (with a ~8 hour turnaround, results on your phone) since like june 2020, so in the broader context of everything it's been great

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Shocked face

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

no! no!!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ham Cheeks posted:

One of the smarter and less boorish op-ed writers btw. There has to be some sort of cursed ancient artifact in the NYT office building that slowly turns all its writers into Megan McArdle if not Nassim Taleb

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

One of the smarter and less boorish op-ed writers btw. There has to be some sort of cursed ancient artifact in the NYT office building that slowly turns all its writers into Megan McArdle if not Nassim Taleb

Mammon is a demon, not an artifact.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

huh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pingui posted:

Nurses leaving healthcare is endemic though, so this is fine.

COVID is a constant lesson that you can't just pretend a bad situation doesn't exist and try to power through as if nothing is happening. Parts of the system are just falling apart left and right because yelling "COVID IS OVER!!!!" into the void is actually an unimaginably bad strategy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No disparaging the virus

https://twitter.com/StevePieroway/status/1469514153274445824?t=kVVgKDLJtlee6ZUnTqyKvg&s=19

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

you misspelled sociopath

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ham Cheeks posted:

im waiting for the doctor of thuganomics, john cena, to weigh in on how mild all this is

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

COVID is a constant lesson that you can't just pretend a bad situation doesn't exist and try to power through as if nothing is happening. Parts of the system are just falling apart left and right because yelling "COVID IS OVER!!!!" into the void is actually an unimaginably bad strategy.

"gamblers ruin isnt real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the hallmark gift shop with my lovely science

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

drat, lockdowns work? anyway, see ya later.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

Or if you don't remember when people in this thread thought that maybe go through the archives or something.

ascribing such a fringe belief to "everyone in this thread" is pretty hosed up

the most anti-vax opinion held by at least several regular posters is that pharmas were timing press releases during the trials to pump stocks, which was not about vaccine efficacy directly and much more about relying on for-profit publicly traded companies for all info about vaccines that were of world wide importance -- ie, if you aren't expecting that to be the default view in cspam of all places I have no idea what to say to that

it would help if you had like a single user name out of "everyone" in mid-2020 who was posting about the vaccines (which didn't exist yet) being poison

I do recall someone saying they would be used to control minorities or something. I believe that was that proto Bernie bro guy who yelled a lot and eventually got perma'd

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

one weird trick to contain a virus. sociologists who go on tv hate it!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The other day I was at work, wearing a mask, a guy comes in and asks if he needs a mask to come in. I say no. He asks if he needs to show proof of vaccination, I say no. We talk about the business that brought him in, get that settled, he almost turns to leave but hesitates and asks if I'm vaccinated, I say yes. He asks if I had any side effects, I tell him just a sore arm. We talk about the side effects for a bit, he heard it can really knock some people on their rear end, etc. He seems oddly uncomfortable, I'm not really sure where this is going, but then he kinda reluctantly mentions he saw a video online that said some people got magnetized by the vaccine.
I tell him I hadn't checked myself but had not noticed anything like that. He still seems uncomfortable, so I pick up an allen wrench set that was on the desk and start tapping it against myself and he laughs but says it might be too heavy. I tell him I can't feel it pulling towards me at all. He seems genuinely relieved, thanks me for the help, and leaves.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Wang Commander posted:

Does your licensure let you bump down and work as a nurse?

Nah, totally different skill set. I would make the world’s most inept nurse. My job is mostly thinking and clicking boxes and occasionally putting a tube in something. Nurses actually do all the hard work.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Nodelphi posted:

Nah, totally different skill set. I would make the world’s most inept nurse. My job is mostly thinking and clicking boxes and occasionally putting a tube in something. Nurses actually do all the hard work.

My industry's license setup arranges everything into an arbitrary hierarchy which lets you bump down but yeah it's impractical for the reason you say. Still, 3/4 mil a year for traveling, God drat. Cruise ship nurses make more than the captain now too.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Nodelphi posted:

My job is mostly thinking and clicking boxes and occasionally putting a tube in something.

:same:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwsCIfo9n8

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

The other day I was at work, wearing a mask, a guy comes in and asks if he needs a mask to come in. I say no. He asks if he needs to show proof of vaccination, I say no. We talk about the business that brought him in, get that settled, he almost turns to leave but hesitates and asks if I'm vaccinated, I say yes. He asks if I had any side effects, I tell him just a sore arm. We talk about the side effects for a bit, he heard it can really knock some people on their rear end, etc. He seems oddly uncomfortable, I'm not really sure where this is going, but then he kinda reluctantly mentions he saw a video online that said some people got magnetized by the vaccine.
I tell him I hadn't checked myself but had not noticed anything like that. He still seems uncomfortable, so I pick up an allen wrench set that was on the desk and start tapping it against myself and he laughs but says it might be too heavy. I tell him I can't feel it pulling towards me at all. He seems genuinely relieved, thanks me for the help, and leaves.

ok now kiss

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fosborb posted:

ascribing such a fringe belief to "everyone in this thread" is pretty hosed up

the most anti-vax opinion held by at least several regular posters is that pharmas were timing press releases during the trials to pump stocks, which was not about vaccine efficacy directly and much more about relying on for-profit publicly traded companies for all info about vaccines that were of world wide importance -- ie, if you aren't expecting that to be the default view in cspam of all places I have no idea what to say to that

it would help if you had like a single user name out of "everyone" in mid-2020 who was posting about the vaccines (which didn't exist yet) being poison

I do recall someone saying they would be used to control minorities or something. I believe that was that proto Bernie bro guy who yelled a lot and eventually got perma'd

i definitely remember multiple posters in the covid threads claiming the vaccines were rushed or unsafe.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Wait wait I've been busy and haven't really had time until now to properly doom scroll but there's no omicron specific booster being developed? What happened to that 100 days thing? Hahaha what the gently caress am I reading this correctly?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tuyop posted:

ok now kiss

I almost didn't post about it because I know it sounds fake.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i definitely remember multiple posters in the covid threads claiming the vaccines were rushed or unsafe.

I thought that and I still got the shot in March. I wasn't even convinced it would do anything after getting it. I'm not anti-vax just kind of dumb and stubborn

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I almost didn't post about it because I know it sounds fake.

i dunno, people eating horse paste would sound fake 18 months ago, and there's plenty of stories of that happening

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Greg Legg posted:

Wait wait I've been busy and haven't really had time until now to properly doom scroll but there's no omicron specific booster being developed? What happened to that 100 days thing? Hahaha what the gently caress am I reading this correctly?

No one has explicitly said this but people just reading between lines on company and Fauci statements. Bad news read on it is fear it won't do poo poo

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
earlier in the pandemic I put a lot of effort into trying to inform my friends and family about the virus and the things they need to do. people mostly all listened, at least from what I could see and what they told me (lol).

then they stopped doing some of those good things, pretty much exactly when cdc did the mask burning party.

then when they started to realize what delta was, they didn’t change their behavior, most just got more fatalistic. somehow “we have to do what you were doing at the start of this, things are not over even if you’re vaccinated” made me a doomer while “we’re all going to get it and it’d be senseless to change our lives to avoid spreading it” is the optimist’s take.

I still somehow had some faith that they trusted me, at least a bit, to inform them of what’s going on since some of them still seemed to care and to listen. I hoped as the media (particularly the media in our local area) picked up more stories about the holiday wave that they’d understand the seriousness of things.

with omi I sat down a day or two after the github and wrote up all the things that seemed like now were going to be even more important. I repeated a lot, in more direct/forceful language and described what things would now likely look like over the holidays and tried to talk them through it. I told them to act like they are unvaccinated, please finally stop wearing cloth masks for gods sake take some of the n95s I have, get a booster, and if you’re going to socialize everyone should be in a good mask and should not be taking it off.

only a couple of them have bothered to get a booster. note that multiple people in this group are immunocompromised, and I couldn’t even get all of them to do it. maybe they will eventually. nobody likes the idea of n95s though, they like their cloth masks. the only person that took me up on that was the one who has a job where they have to interact with a rotating set of the public indoors.

and it’s not fun to do any activities unless we can do them exactly how we did them pre-pandemic. a request I made earlier on to watch a show together in a small group with masks (because for some reason doing a watch remotely would be too weird apparently, wtf) fell completely flat and they just started watching the show together without me a few weeks later. wouldn’t be quite the same if we had to wear masks, you know? nobody interested in hanging out on the outdoor covered porch thing I have access to, because that’d apparently also be weird. we didn’t do that before, right? and it’s cold now.

it is incredibly draining to be around fatalistic people that constantly politely imply or directly state that you are a liar or are crazy. so now I don’t, and so now the main friend group I have, which I thought was made up of responsible adults who did a good job of supporting each other throughout our lives up until this point, is mostly gone to me. sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Greg Legg posted:

What if we make a life saving vaccine for nothing?