Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

After the fall is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah thrill of the fight is EXHAUSTING

I can only do 2 full length bouts a play session

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blaston is also surprisingly exhausting. I got blown up after 2 or 3 games of that and haven't played since lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The best fitness games are, imo, quest2 native titles

God tier:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1830168170427369/
Supernatural is probably the best all-rounder but it's kinda spendy at $15 or whatever a month. Think Beat Saber with better and more eclectic music and in an endurance-style format to maximize calorie burn. Also there are really nice coaches who encourage you! And they added shadow boxing too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggd3Qmt2So

PowerbeatsVR is beat saber but with boxing, and it auto-generates hitmaps to whatever songs you add. This is personally my favorite fitness app. With rubber bands and an intense 30 minute playlist I can do a quick workout and burn like 500+ kcals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTyfUnp4NeU

Thrill of the fight is boxing one on one with an actual CPU opponent. It's extremely accurately modeled but more of a shadowboxing simulator so don't go throwing haymaker after haymaker. This app is incredible and will get in your target heart rate in literally 3 minutes. No other fitness anything will have you gasping for breath after 3 minutes like this will. Unfortunately, it is kinda basic in terms of what's offered. We're all waiting around for Thrill of The Fight 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2cX3KAAmos&t=367s

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/developer-post/510885990136195/

others:

Beat saber is good for calorie burn according to many but in my opinion it's just a bunch of wrist flicking to destroy the blocks and you have to stop between each song, not the best for working out IMO. Also people say it will give you a reptitive stress injury in your shoulder!

Synth Riders is a fun dancing related game and I could see how it would be a good workout for some but theres just not quite enough movement to really push it into exercise in my mind

Thanks! I’m gonna check some of these out. Looks like the music oriented ones might be okay for core and arm workouts, and basically anything is better than my current regimen of nothing

All this has me really thinking that what I want is for the moribund DDR franchise to make a return with dance pads and a fun VR environment but I also feel like that would be pretty dangerous

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://questday.fb.com/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
How can there not be a VR game where you just fly around like a bird? I just bought a goon's quest, loaded up the store and there's nothing there for flying just for chill.

I'm completely new to vr but drat I'd have thought that would be a no brainer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jet island? Or is that not on the quest?

E: looks like it’s PCVR only. You should look at ultra wings, it’s the definition of “chill flying”. You’re not a bird but it’s relaxing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I pulled the trigger on a Quest 2

Which means the next version will be releasing in a month, sorry everyone

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

God tier:
Supernatural is probably the best all-rounder but it's kinda spendy at $15 or whatever a month. Think Beat Saber with better and more eclectic music and in an endurance-style format to maximize calorie burn. Also there are really nice coaches who encourage you! And they added shadow boxing too!

PowerbeatsVR is beat saber but with boxing, and it auto-generates hitmaps to whatever songs you add. This is personally my favorite fitness app. With rubber bands and an intense 30 minute playlist I can do a quick workout and burn like 500+ kcals

Thrill of the fight is boxing one on one with an actual CPU opponent. It's extremely accurately modeled but more of a shadowboxing simulator so don't go throwing haymaker after haymaker. This app is incredible and will get in your target heart rate in literally 3 minutes. No other fitness anything will have you gasping for breath after 3 minutes like this will. Unfortunately, it is kinda basic in terms of what's offered. We're all waiting around for Thrill of The Fight 2

others:

Beat saber is good for calorie burn according to many but in my opinion it's just a bunch of wrist flicking to destroy the blocks and you have to stop between each song, not the best for working out IMO. Also people say it will give you a reptitive stress injury in your shoulder!

Synth Riders is a fun dancing related game and I could see how it would be a good workout for some but theres just not quite enough movement to really push it into exercise in my mind

Agreed with a few notes.

Saber/Synth are calorie burning machines if you either don't stand still and dance, or play higher end maps. I wouldn't recommend Saber once you "git gud" due to what you said, body damage at the high end. Mine is trashed from PP maps. Synth on the other hand is super chill, and if you can groove on the music dancing around is easy. Theres actually some patterns that are made to promote actual movements IRL if you're dance minded :D

I'll also add

Until you Fall.
Sits in the similar break you into gasping sweat that thrill does except you might last a little longer. You'll still be wiped out though. :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! I’m gonna check some of these out. Looks like the music oriented ones might be okay for core and arm workouts, and basically anything is better than my current regimen of nothing

All this has me really thinking that what I want is for the moribund DDR franchise to make a return with dance pads and a fun VR environment but I also feel like that would be pretty dangerous

Most of the music oriented ones have some form of squats and/or lunges built in too, so you can get some leg work! I mean, none of these are like “replace the gym if you want to get swole,” but some of them are at least a solid cardio workout that’s not boring and that you can do in the comfort of your own home.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How can there not be a VR game where you just fly around like a bird? I just bought a goon's quest, loaded up the store and there's nothing there for flying just for chill.

It's called Eagle Flight, and it was one of the very first VR games from a big publisher.

It just hasn't ever been ported to Quest, likely because it wasn't very successful.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

NRVNQSR posted:

It's called Eagle Flight, and it was one of the very first VR games from a big publisher.

It just hasn't ever been ported to Quest, likely because it wasn't very successful.

Doesn’t Google maps allow you to fly around?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah but it's not Quest native, you need to tether to PC VR.

Google maps VR not having a Quest port is criminal. It's the #1 thing I'd love to show people who are new to the whole thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I pulled the trigger on a Quest 2

Which means the next version will be releasing in a month, sorry everyone

You should get a referral to get credit on your account. Pm me if interested.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Beat Saber should release a fitness mode, or a pack of fitness songs. Songs that require you to duck often, and have blocks far apart from each other in high tempo tracks.

It would also be awesome if multiplayer had variations on the songs, 360 degree mode, and one hand mode.

There’s a lot of great things they could do with a sequel.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

PokerstarsVR now has Roulette.

Omg

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How's the screen door effect and outside the sweet spot viewing on the index? I think this G2 is going back and I'd like something with good clarity and tracking. Speaking of, how's the quest as well when it's tethered to a PC?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Parallelwoody posted:

How's the screen door effect and outside the sweet spot viewing on the index?
I've had an Index for a year and I've never seen a screen-door effect on it, and outside of the sweet-spot has some blurriness but the Index is very easy to adjust both on my head and with regard to the lenses' distance from my eyes (a knob on the side) so getting back to the sweet spot is just a few seconds of adjustment, if that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So when you're dialed in correctly and look to the periphery it's still decently clear? I guess while I'm at it, anyone tried out the Varjo Aero?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Parallelwoody posted:

So when you're dialed in correctly and look to the periphery it's still decently clear? I guess while I'm at it, anyone tried out the Varjo Aero?

Heard great things. If you can slam 2 grand down for JUST the headset and have the PC to really run it.

They have demos/resellers around the states. Email em. :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How is field of view on other headsets? It's my only major gripe with the Quest, if they fix that then I would want for nothing.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Frog Act posted:

If you do any of the three programs I mentioned for at least 20 mins every other day you will very quickly get in pretty great shape

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How is field of view on other headsets? It's my only major gripe with the Quest, if they fix that then I would want for nothing.

Index is slightly better, but not by an exciting amount. Unfortunately you need to go to the really expensive PCVR headsets to find options with significantly higher FOVs.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

I've made it through the 2 week trial of Supernatural VR and I'm going to let it charge me for the annual subscription tomorrow. It's not cheap, with either a $19/month or $180/year plan, so I can appreciate why others might balk at it.

I'm an old guy who does remote work from home so inactivity is pretty much my superpower. It's been really nice to have something that I can just walk into the garage and get some consistent physical activity going in my day, whenever I want. It won't replace a gym, but not having to leave the house really does help.

You get near-daily updated content, and across a wide range of themes.

I really appreciate the coaches. Their presence isn't just a few re-used bits of audio. Instead, they record an in-person intro and outro, and while you're doing the activity you get them talking to you as they do the same workout, talking about the workout and its patterns, chatting about the landscape, making jokes, and just generally encouraging you throughout.

I also appreciate the more fitness-orientated features, like having the app that tracks your progress and metrics, including daily and weekly streaks to encourage you not to skip out. It's nice that it syncs my heart rate straight from my Apple Watch as well.

I've never been one for meditation, but I've even liked the little sessions they have in addition to the saber or boxing activities. A lot of the talk is the usual "you are powerful" nonsense, and yet the coach's voice is usually enough to help me relax and come out feeling more positive and calm.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I tried Unplugged, the air guitar game. Its ok, not having a physical guitar to move your hand up and down on and strum with just make it very awkward. the guitar stays frozen in place, you can only move the neck around but you have to stay in one place. Since i wasn't sure where where the strings were i was constantly looking down at my right strumming hand and then over to the left to see my guitaring chord fingers and its a big strain on my neck. Also you have to grip the pick to strum, but since there is no force feedback you dont really have a feel for when your strumming correctly.

As far as the music goes, there isnt an auditory indicator that you are "hitting the right notes" like if you missed a note in Guitar hero. you either fail the hand tracking or pass. i did not enjoy it and got a refund

Not as fun as Guitar Hero.

RE: Fitness Games

I work up quite a sweat every time I play Echo VR. Im in the competitive lobbies now and it gets real intense.

Where in VRchat can I go to dance? like are there clubs that not all anime music or Friday Night Funkin remixes?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Spider man on the Wii sports resort island in boneworks

https://twitter.com/joeahvr/status/1460809986834112515?s=21

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

God tier:

others:

Pistol Whip can be a surprisingly good workout over time too

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Parallelwoody posted:

How's the screen door effect and outside the sweet spot viewing on the index? I think this G2 is going back and I'd like something with good clarity and tracking. Speaking of, how's the quest as well when it's tethered to a PC?

Does fairly well, you can tweak some settings to reduce compression but it won't go away totally. But otherwise, totally serviceable and between the Quest 1 and 2, it has 40% of the market share of reported Steam users.

Edit: Oh yeah, speaking of I got my Frankenquest adapters in today.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 12, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
protip: if the headphones on the DAS flop around too easily, you can tighten the little screw attaching the arm on the inside of the band, underneath the velcro. Helps prevent that problem another poster mentioned where it won't always lock in the downward position the way they need to

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, speaking of I got my Frankenquest adapters in today.

How are you finding the comfort? I've got one + adapters coming over the next week myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

protip: if the headphones on the DAS flop around too easily, you can tighten the little screw attaching the arm on the inside of the band, underneath the velcro. Helps prevent that problem another poster mentioned where it won't always lock in the downward position the way they need to

First thing I did the moment I took out it out of the box. They’re rock solid now. Don’t know why they leave them so loose out of manufacturing.

Wheezle posted:

How are you finding the comfort? I've got one + adapters coming over the next week myself.

Far more stable than the original strap and I don’t find myself readjusting it constantly. I might get a VR Cover facial interface. The stock one with included silicone cover seems a bit more firm against my brow though alternatively I think just a counterweight will solve that. Also I need to find the right fit on the dial a bit better. Headphones don’t apply too much pressure on my ears which was a concern as I’m not a fan of on-ear headphones.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I'd love to see a good VR Beat 'em Up.

Path of the Warrior came close, but it quickly turned into Yet Another Wave Survival Game, albiet one with quite a bit of 80's charm and character. At least some of the boss fights were neat; the arcade boss in particular.

Hm, wonder if you'd consider Until You Fall a "beat 'em up"? I dunno...it does throw a handful of enemies at you at a time later on, but...ehh

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 12, 2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I don't have the full game with all the songs, but Kizuna Ai is a ton of fun and is quite a workout, at least for me on Normal mode. It's like beatsaber except you don't slice the blocks, they just have you putting / waving your arms in a certain direction. Plus, you get to feel like an idol. Need high tolerance for anime/vocaloid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chin Strap posted:

Pistol Whip can be a surprisingly good workout over time too

Yup, get's the heart rate up anyway.

For boxing, I ended up with the Creed game. It's a good workout too, from YouTube videos it looks very similar in a fight to the other one. Work out in the gym, fight dudes, repeat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is awesome! Time to learn how to play roulette i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDeOPFr9e4&hd=1

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone have a suggestion to help with the fact that my Quest 2 pinches my nose and makes it hard to breathe? I pretty much have to breathe through my mouth. It's fine, I still love it, but I wouldn't mind trying to improve that little complaint.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

This page mentions 6DOF. Are they about to drop 6DOF for the quest 2? I am wish listing so hard right now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frobbe posted:

This page mentions 6DOF. Are they about to drop 6DOF for the quest 2? I am wish listing so hard right now

What does 'drop 6DOF' means...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can I preload games onto this Quest 2 for my mom before I give it to her, or does it need her FB account linked? I feel like I read something about it not needing an FB account anymore, but I don't want to open the packaging if I'm not going to be able to install games without her login anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Frobbe posted:

I think 6DOF might be the name of the marketing character they're using for the promotion- the picture of the BDG-knockoff on the page has 6DOF embroidered on his lab coat, and the file name says "Dr Dof" at the start.