Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you love bikes the worst thing you can do is move to a flat place

can I interest you in a Church of Hill-Climbs tract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I love long rides through flat countryside though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

from

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

God Hole posted:

it's not a glove light but if you're looking for something that'll be near your hands on a bicycle, it's a bit pricey but you can get a light like this:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-elite-r-front-bike-light/p/27821/

i usually just have it flashing the entire time i'm riding. no motorist can ignore a 1000 lumen strobe

This would be cool someplace without a lot of bike traffic, but for someone in a big city with bike lanes this would just torture the other cyclists!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

dont forget all the creepy alleyways and potential kidnapping spots etc. because there's a...and i see the stranger danger alley yep there it is, see see

such a clusterfuck hellscape

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Battery tech is constantly improving, and there are some newer types of battery chemistries that have decades of lifespan.

Also there is certainly big business in battery refurbishment, and is also something an advanced DIYer can do safely.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

DarkEuphoria posted:

Battery tech is constantly improving, and there are some newer types of battery chemistries that have decades of lifespan.

Also there is certainly big business in battery refurbishment, and is also something an advanced DIYer can do safely.

There's a chinese company that claims they will have a sodium-ion battery on the market with 200Wh/kg in a few years, which, if true, should solve a lot of the massive environmental impacts of current battery tech

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

make that into an Oregon trail style game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why is there no loitering at the mall? Am I old and out of touch?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stores don't like teens hanging out around them, not spending money, potentially getting up to no good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

withak posted:

Why is there no loitering at the mall? Am I old and out of touch?

I went to a mall like an idiot recently. They have a sign that says "no minors under 18 without a parent, we will call the loving police on you" every 20 feet.

Hell is other people who think hell is other people

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A bike lane removing two street parking spots will spell the end for my cat cafe :downs:
https://twitter.com/djamiempls/status/1469089207905886209?t=kinRAJN7lt2hm6kUFDyQdw&s=19

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

A bike lane removing two street parking spots will spell the end for my cat cafe :downs:
https://twitter.com/djamiempls/status/1469089207905886209?t=kinRAJN7lt2hm6kUFDyQdw&s=19

It goes without saying that street parking on two sides of the building isn't affected, it's like 5 spots total shared with 10 other businesses, and 150 feet away there's a big lot. Also shitloads of houses all around it within easy walking distance which would be the people being served by the bike lane

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Small business owners think that every customer has to be able to park in an empty space right in front of the door like in the movies or else they won't shop.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

this is my city, all I can say is lol. That street goes north/south at a bit of a diagonal in the western part of downtown Minneapolis. The change is much needed.

also I was thinking back to the before times, and my coworker who lived in a rural area, she drove 1.5-2 hours EACH WAY, four days a week, she said "oh I don't mind I just talk to my dad on the phone while driving"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
gently caress cars

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
This is just saving face because you suck as a small business owner. You were gonna have to close but rather than own up that you suck at business, you just say it’s the city’s fault.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

https://whdh.com/news/local-attorney-calling-for-action-after-he-says-he-was-attacked-while-driving-through-boston/

quote:

After meeting with a client at the South Bay jail, Hassan Williams said he beeped at a man for blocking traffic near the intersection of South Hampton and Atkinson streets.

That is when he said another man came forward and began swinging a broken piece of a wheelchair at his car.

rear end in a top hat laid on the horn at the wrong fuckin' people lmao

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Shoulda delivered some automotive Justice and ran him over :mrgw:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is just saving face because you suck as a small business owner. You were gonna have to close but rather than own up that you suck at business, you just say it’s the city’s fault.

it seems like they're just threatening to close to convince people to force the city not to do it. i hope the cats go sleepwalkers on those capitalist vampires

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
idk what it is about December but everyone with a car turns into a raging psychopath in december but especially this one. holy poo poo so much insanity today that prob had a bunch of people needlessly die across the country

abolish cars

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look it's either cars or bars we can't have both

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

idk what it is about December but everyone with a car turns into a raging psychopath in december but especially this one. holy poo poo so much insanity today that prob had a bunch of people needlessly die across the country

abolish cars

need to buy poo poo before other people buy it first!!!!!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dolphin posted:

look it's either cars or bars we can't have both

go with the wisconsin combination: bars and snowmobiles

added bonus is that drunk drivers usually only kill themselves!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1469554009644150785

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/nd6/status/1469436972351459328

:laffo: :dafuq:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
*darts a glance up from phone while moving at 45mph"
"What the gently caress, how is anyone supposed to figure these streets out? Why is there blood on my windshield?"
*returns to texting*

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kicked Throat posted:

Part of me feels like this is cop adjacent behavior and I should be concerned but also gently caress cars so

Completely ridiculous. Cops never enforce traffic laws

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xaris posted:

abolish cars

People living in Seattle drive like psychopaths normally but it's even worse than it rains. I don't know how, it rans here 90% of the year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/christoq/status/1262864658504941568

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

don't think this was posted here, interesting piece from consumer reports about usurious auto lending practices. makes me think of all the car brained pseudo leftist takes about how we can't have congestion charges or road user fees because it might hurt poor people. better not change anything about building cities to eventually require car ownership, it's great for poor people.

quote:

For example, in May 2012, Amy Mack, then 23 and a mother of two, went to Ark Auto Sales in the city of Charleston and bought a 1995 Ford Grand Marquis, according to a lawsuit she later filed. She put $1,000 down and received an almost $3,000 loan to cover the remaining cost.

Her APR? Forty-nine percent.

Worse, the Grand Marquis allegedly broke down the same day she drove it off the lot.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lobster shirt posted:

don't think this was posted here, interesting piece from consumer reports about usurious auto lending practices. makes me think of all the car brained pseudo leftist takes about how we can't have congestion charges or road user fees because it might hurt poor people. better not change anything about building cities to eventually require car ownership, it's great for poor people.

Most left politics reminds me of the local minimum problem in AI. You have some variable you're trying to minimize, like say, capital induced human misery via climate change.

You can see a global minimum over a hill called "ban all fossil fuels today" or even avoiding the peak of the hill by doing "steadily increasing taxes until extraction reaches zero"

But all the people who need to feed their family with a job reachable only by car, that variable gets locally deoptimized, giving two faced villains all the ammo they need.

:goonsay:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

loving horrific video from yesterday in dc

https://twitter.com/nickmararac/status/1469520634006814720

in short, this dude lives at a three way stop intersection and has been aiming his camera out his window for ages because drivers keep flooring it through the stop signs way above the speed limit. neighborhood has been trying to get speed bumps and zebra stripes installed for years but the city ignores them. yesterday he caught a video of a driver gunning it through the intersection and making a turn from the wrong side HIT A loving KID ON A BIKE.

destroy all cars, and make sure that people who drive them like this are tossed into the trash compactor beside them.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had the odd experience the last two nights

Riding my bike to and from the city (~10km each way)

And

Driving a similar route, on many of the same streets

Both during peak Friday/Saturday night

I was genuinely faster at all times on my bike weaving through jammed traffic

And if I got my bike dinged, oh well it was a 25 dollar fifth hand road bike

Where as driving I had my 10k car + whoever I could ding with my bumper

Just a superior experience on the bike goddamn

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/daveloach2/status/1469721666137776132

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

loving horrific video from yesterday in dc

https://twitter.com/nickmararac/status/1469520634006814720

in short, this dude lives at a three way stop intersection and has been aiming his camera out his window for ages because drivers keep flooring it through the stop signs way above the speed limit. neighborhood has been trying to get speed bumps and zebra stripes installed for years but the city ignores them. yesterday he caught a video of a driver gunning it through the intersection and making a turn from the wrong side HIT A loving KID ON A BIKE.

destroy all cars, and make sure that people who drive them like this are tossed into the trash compactor beside them.

how did kid just get up an run away after that lol wasn't he injured

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kids are indestructible.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

3 way stop sign lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001